PDA

View Full Version : Alien - Bear with me!

abbiedrake
05-31-2019, 12:28 PM
So any fans of Ridley Scott's 1979 Classic 'Alien'?
Yeah? Well, guess what? Veronica Cartwright's character was born male. She's trans.
How do I know this?...Well the scene in James Cameron's 1986 'Aliens' where Ripley is grilled by the suits had the Nostomo crew members' personnel files on screen. Here's Joan Lambert's...

That first sentence shows she underwent some change to alter her gender. Above this info is a line stating 'Gender: Female (Unnatural) '. Bit harsh for most trans people maybe that word 'unnatural'.

Still a 1986 sci-fi horror retconned a 1979 sci- fi horror to make one of the characters trans and it's utterly unremarked upon.
So there's hope that through 'Despin Convert' trans people will be matter of fact in the future. Now. if we could just stop said trans persons being killed by xenomorphs we'll be peachy!
😁

April Rose
05-31-2019, 12:35 PM
Good catch, Abbie. I didn't pick up on it in the movie.

Tracii G
05-31-2019, 02:34 PM
Its a fantasy movie and not real.

abbiedrake
05-31-2019, 02:55 PM
The representation isn't fantasy. Granted, few are gonna notice but for those who do they have to rethink that character somewhat.
Thanks for stating the obvious though, Tracii. Whatever would I do without you to bring me down to earth?! 😜

Tracii G
05-31-2019, 03:44 PM
I was just messing with you LOLOL
I never noticed that so I learned something new today.:)

abbiedrake
05-31-2019, 03:53 PM
You should check out my threads in the Media sub. You might learn something else. Twice in one week eh?! 😉
I'm a veritable cornucopia of trivia. Lol

I'm just in awe that someone, somewhere snuck this into one of my favourite movies, basically cos they could.

Meghan4now
05-31-2019, 03:58 PM
I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a thread about Mexican grizzlies stealing picnic baskets in Jellystone park.

Macey
05-31-2019, 05:15 PM
I don't think the ranger's gonna like this, Yogi

Manasi
05-31-2019, 05:43 PM
This is so cool! I’m definitely going to look out for it next time I watch the movie.

abbiedrake
05-31-2019, 05:52 PM
@manasi You'll need eagle eyes to see it in the regular movie but it's available in the Laserdisc Archives included in the Alien Anthology and Quadrilogy (ffs it's a 'tetralogy' when it's 4. Smh). You can read them quite clearly there. It even notes she doesn't appear to have any suppressed trauma due to the reassignment.
I've wondered if 'Despin Conversion' is a religious thing or has the universe of Alien simply reached a point of having elective genders?? Either point raises some interesting questions. As does the revelation that the Nostomo crew all shagged one another. Apart from Ash - something that was even mentioned in the script. Beats the boredom of long haulage eh? No lot lizards in space I guess. 😁

Bobbi46
05-31-2019, 05:55 PM
Ive called my new car "Teddy Bear" because when I floor the accelerator it growls!!

Jodie_Lynn
05-31-2019, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up Abbie! Now I'm gonna have to check it out.

Geeks of the world, unite! :)

abbiedrake
05-31-2019, 06:10 PM
@jodie Happy to oblige. I am an inveterate geek and trivia is my bag.
As a bonus the personnel file for Dallas says he worked for the Tyrell Corporation. Yes _THAT_ Tyrell Corporation.
Nice tie in. Kinda like the junked spinner in Soldier (the 1998 Kurt Russell sci-fi action movie) , along with the mention of the Tannhauser Gate battle. Unsurprising since it was written by Blade Runner writer David Webb People's.

Tracii G
05-31-2019, 06:28 PM
I used to do trivia at a local bar on Friday night.
Now keep in mind I don't drink or smoke weed and always sober.
A science question came up late in the game and the question was in the visible spectrum give a nano meter value for the color blue.
I responded with 478.5 and the moderator said ummm correct !!!!
The rest of the group were tipsy and the opposing team sat there in awe as my team gained enough points to win that night.
Why I remembered that little nugget of scientific knowledge from college I don't have a clue.

abbiedrake
05-31-2019, 06:31 PM
I think we have different definitions of 'trivia', Tracii. Lol
You've sped past geek into full-on uber nerd. Poindexterville.
Who the hell set those questions??!!
I do know what you mean about odd stuff you remember. I've never worked in electronics but I did train for a whole. There's not a lot I can't tell you about lasers for instance. 🤷*♀️ What can I say? I like coherent light.
And holography. Fascinating.

Tracii G
05-31-2019, 06:35 PM
I have no idea who comes up with the questions but the game is played on a video screen. like a monitor with several different group games on it.
I assume it was a software thing.
Some questions were very hard to try and trip a team up.

Jodie_Lynn
05-31-2019, 06:38 PM
OMG! Tracii has gone to plaid!

(10 points to the first person to guess the reference)

Tracii G
05-31-2019, 07:20 PM
Spaceballs LOLOL
Everybody wanted to know if I wore pocket protectors in a past life.

KimberlyJean
05-31-2019, 08:06 PM
Abbie, I am glad you responded to the age thread because you were about to get the Tony Stark no more pop culture references out of you treatment.

Tracii beat me to it, I was combing the desert looking for the answer.

abbiedrake
06-01-2019, 03:58 AM
Haha yeah Kimberley. At 48 I'm second oldest in the gamer group I run but I'm fine with the yound uns and their memes. Got some peaches myself. But most wouldn't be safe for this august forum!

That Tony Stark quote would have been spot on under the circumstances. Ah, were that I was indeed under 20...