PDA

View Full Version : Catfish - how many do we think?

Tamsin Secret
07-24-2019, 03:01 PM
What does everyone reckon the percentage is of members on here?

The meaning: A "catfish" is someone who pretends to be someone else online. This person completely assumes a fake identity and goes the extra mile to make others believe that they are exactly who they say they are.

Just interested.

Are we all just Catfish......Thoughts?

Tammy

Micki_Finn
07-24-2019, 03:12 PM
I would say zero. A catfish is someone who assumes an identity in order to deceive people into thinking they are someone else. That doesn’t cover anyone here that I know of. Altering your appearance to be more aesthetically pleasing to oneself or others is NOT catfishing, otherwise you could literally call everyone who wears makeup or has had plastic surgery a “catfish”.

Tamsin Secret
07-24-2019, 03:29 PM
I would say zero. A catfish is someone who assumes an identity in order to deceive people into thinking they are someone else. That doesn’t cover anyone here that I know of. Altering your appearance to be more aesthetically pleasing to oneself or others is NOT catfishing, otherwise you could literally call everyone who wears makeup or has had plastic surgery a “catfish”.

How does that work with 'passing' then?

kinkyboots
07-24-2019, 03:47 PM
i would hope zero.

possibly a few might be extending the truth a bit to make others jealous of their situation, but i would find it hard to believe someone with no CD thoughts would would bother to join in.

Tamsin Secret
07-24-2019, 03:55 PM
i would hope zero.

possibly a few might be extending the truth a bit to make others jealous of their situation

I would hope so too but sometimes you think.... Are they who they claim to be?

Micki_Finn
07-24-2019, 04:18 PM
How does that work with 'passing' then?

The same way it works with lifts in your shoes. You are disguising or altering your appearance, but you’re still not attempting to deceive someone into thinking you’re a completely different person.

There’s also a difference between allowing someone to believe false information and actively lying. Women who wear padded bras are letting other people believe false I formation about them (that they’re bigger on top than they are). That’s a big difference from going around telling everybody “I’m a D cup” when you’re actually a B.

Teresa
07-24-2019, 04:25 PM
Tammy,
There have been members I would suspect being a " Catfish " , usually the mods will pick up on them and have them evicted . Some join as trolls trying to cause havoc , some appear to be gathering information which is often given away by the style of their questions . I believe we have had a few GGs with a grudge against the TG community .

I'm glad to say at the moment we don't appear to have any trolls , which is pretty good for an online forum .

Lets face it to disguise an identity online is the easiest thing in the World to do , you can adopt any name and use anyone's picture .

Maria_mtf
07-24-2019, 04:32 PM
I actually like catfishing but I am refering to the aquatic species.

With regards to pretending to be someone else, ask any of my friends which I would prefer as a present, a ballgown or a smart shirt I am certain 100% would get it wrong. I am pretending on here or in real life.

Teresa
07-24-2019, 04:41 PM
Maria,
Not really , just not able to be honest with everyone all the time .

Tracii G
07-24-2019, 04:41 PM
You are still the same person and not trying to be anyone else by "passing".
I have heard the term but never really knew what it meant until this thread.

Eemz
07-24-2019, 05:19 PM
Yeah I agree with Tracii. Catfishing is more like a "sting". It means pretending to be someone else in order to benefit at their expense somehow. Usually money, but could be publicity, embarrassment, even just personal entertainment or schadenfreude (mods.. it's a valid English word https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schadenfreude I know I've been dinged before for using foreign language words but this isn't one of them).

Jodie_Lynn
07-24-2019, 06:00 PM
"Catfishing" does not apply to the CD/Trans community, in my humble opinion, based on some personal experience with "catfish".

The ones I have dealt with (or have heard about from friends) generally are on-line personas, engaged in the exhausting sport of trying to gather "fap" material. And, for the most part, men who are looking for on-line titillation.

Catfish will generally present as a female, usually in a chat room, in order to engage in on-line erotic chats, or to entice a woman to share nudes or erotic pictures. They may offer pics of "themselves", which are usually stolen erotic pictures. The main point to self pleasure themselves, at the expense of another.

Although some of them may cross the line from "catfisher" to "scammer", if they feel like they have a gullible mark on the line. And some of them will encourage a face to face meeting, where the victim (usually a woman. or a CD. or transwoman) will be subject to, at the least, robbery, but often a worse outcome. Anything from a beating, to murder. Including the "R" word. (I'm not sure if the accepted 4-letter word for 'non-consensual intercourse" is allowed)

RADER
07-24-2019, 06:46 PM
I like Sea Bass, Whitefish, but I do not care for catfish. So I will not become one.
Rader

Tracii G
07-24-2019, 07:11 PM
Catfish tastes like dirt to me RADER.

Stephanie47
07-24-2019, 07:13 PM
Urban Dictionary: internet predators that fabricate online identities and entire social circles to trick people...

The world is rife with people pretending to be someone or something they are not. If you ask the right questions you'll ferret them out. I'm sure there are people on this site gathering information or doing research. Or checking out their spouse. I do agree with Teresa (#9) I sense some hostility from some GG's towards cross dressing. The advice on this forum is worth exactly what you paid for it. Buyer beware. You and you alone bear the consequences of following it. Ever consider there is the possibility someone urging you do go out en femme is intentionally setting you up for a major disappointment. Or coming clean with your wife.

Heck, today I got a call from the medicare scammers. Last year it was the IRS. Every year Microsoft Security. Last week I had to call out a Nam vet for all the bullshit he posted on the internet. I know a guy who claims to be a Navy Seal. Cat fishing is alive and well.

Robertacd
07-24-2019, 07:36 PM
I believe the difference is the intent.

A "Catfish" is doing it with the intent to deceive.

I am not trying to deceive anyone, I am just trying to be me.

Catfish tastes like dirt to me RADER.

Once you batter it and fry it, it all taste the same anyway :p

docrobbysherry
07-24-2019, 08:55 PM
Stick to the point! "R T's here really like they present?":straightface:

I asked my self that question over 10 years ago. So, I attended 4 SCC's in Atlanta. cd.comers were heavily represented there. Over the years I met over 100 girls from here. I believe they have all left this site by now. But, I'm still FB friends with a number of them.
Then, I went out locally to meet maybe 10 cd.comers near me. Micki and Jenny r a couple of new cd.com girls I've met. But, the old timers from here from 5 years ago r gone, too.

My point being? NOT ONE CATFISH IN THE BUNCH!:D

Tracy Irving
07-24-2019, 10:53 PM
The meaning: A "catfish" is someone who pretends to be someone else online. This person completely assumes a fake identity and goes the extra mile to make others believe that they are exactly who they say they are.

Interesting, I have never heard of that term before this thread. It seems like it would be difficult to catch someone as a "catfish" if you didn't know of their different previous identity.

GeorgeA
07-24-2019, 11:39 PM
I remember there were some time ago but they were, as Teresa said in #7, banned.

suzanne
07-25-2019, 12:45 AM
The purpose of catfishing is to con a potential victim for financial gain. If that's happening here, please tell my how it's happening so I can recognise it, avoid it and call out the purpetrators. Personally, I don't see how it could happen here. No post I have ever seen makes any demand for money.

MonicaPVD
07-25-2019, 05:35 AM
The term cannot apply to this group of people because the diversity of experiences here is to broad. We have everything from people who only dress in the privacy of their homes and those who only dress partially, all the way to women who are transitioning. If someone feels the need to create a fictional narrative that doesn't match their real life experiences but satisfies their emotional needs, how does that affect me? Who am I to judge? I'm not your mom, your kid or your significant other. You do you.

alwayshave
07-25-2019, 05:39 AM
Tamsin, there is an anonymous feature to the site, in that you don't have to show who you really are. My avatar is me, but I could easily use a cartoon character or none at all. Catfishing would be if I took someone else's avatar and set up an account with a handle that is close to theirs. These are two different things.

Teresa
07-25-2019, 06:14 AM
Jodie,
That's the whole point , anyone can join this forum and I'm sure there are still some here who aren't TG but just intrigued by the situation . I'm sure some therapists drop in as visitors or are hidden behind a false avatar to gain more information to help clients . I miss Amanda from Spain she was great to talk to as a therapist but sadly no longer visits here .

Thelise
07-25-2019, 08:16 AM
The purpose of catfishing is to con a potential victim for financial gain. If that's happening here, please tell my how it's happening so I can recognise it, avoid it and call out the purpetrators. Personally, I don't see how it could happen here. No post I have ever seen makes any demand for money. This is a misconception. It can be much worse than financial exploitation. Just type Heidelberg Catfish into Google and you'll see what I mean.

Tamsin Secret
07-25-2019, 02:59 PM
"Catfishing" does not apply to the CD/Trans community:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jodie_Lynn
07-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Thanks for pointing out my error Tamsin. That should have read "Catfishing does not apply to THIS CD/Trans community."

Despite the parsing of the phrase, the underlying motive for catfishing is deception, for whatever purpose. Whilst there have been trolls on these boards, they are usually caught out very quickly by both members and staff.

And while it is true that there have been some posters here whose tales are.. less than believable, I haven't encountered anyone on these boards who fit the catfish profile.

MarinaTwelve200
07-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Pretending to be someone else (real or fictional) to deceive others for personal advantage or gain---I suppose rather than Procuring the delicious aquatic Denison.

Jodie_Lynn
07-25-2019, 06:57 PM
As to the piscine variety, I don't think I've ever tasted it.

I've had shark, this way, if I ever get eaten by one, we are even. :)

I've had salmon, tuna, haddock, tilapia, conch, lobster, crab, clams, shrimp, scallops, and a host of other finny friends, but never catfish. They kind of creep me out.

Kelly DeWinter
07-25-2019, 10:27 PM
I confess to catfishing, sometimes i just have to get properly dressed, get out of the house, cruise out to my favorite spot, reach into that dark hole and start nootling that catfish out.

Chelsea B
07-25-2019, 11:03 PM
Zero. All of us here are trying to be exactly who we are.

Nikki_Caden
07-26-2019, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure of what one would gain from catfishing this site, but then again, I don't know how a catfisher thinks so maybe there is something to gain. I don't know.

xEvelyn
07-26-2019, 07:39 AM
While certainly possible given the medium of a relatively anonymous forum, I certainly haven’t noticed anything egregious. This may be a testament to the moderation staff as well!

Tamsin Secret
07-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Everyone who has contributed so far thank you. All valid points of view for sure and validated as non catfish 😁. What about the rest of you? 🤔

kimdl93
07-26-2019, 07:41 PM
Frankly, I doubt that there are any significant numbers. There was, years ago, a particular case here...a girl who went to what seems now absurd extremes to falsely represent herself. She was eventually hoist by her own petard. I love quoting Shakespeare

Ressie
07-27-2019, 10:03 AM
I've pretty much been an open book on this forum. Furthermore, no one has ever tried to scam me here in the last 11 years.

MarinaTwelve200
07-27-2019, 10:36 AM
As to the piscine variety, I don't think I've ever tasted it.

I've had shark, this way, if I ever get eaten by one, we are even. :)

I've had salmon, tuna, haddock, tilapia, conch, lobster, crab, clams, shrimp, scallops, and a host of other finny friends, but never catfish. They kind of creep me out.

NEVER CATFISH! ? They are the BEST of Fish, the white meat with perfect textures. Mark Twain took issue with a UK commentator about how the Southerners had been reduced to eating things like "Catfish". Twain responded that The Catfish, despite its name, is fine enough fish for the plate of a KING.

They are very close to FLOUNDER in flavor and texture, but less bones and make fine filets .

Mickitv
07-28-2019, 12:54 PM
I would have to go along with that famous philosopher "Popeye" who said, "I am what I am." I feel this best describes me.

AnnieMac
07-28-2019, 02:33 PM
C'mon y'all...we're crossdressers for gosh sakes..so 100% !

abbiedrake
07-30-2019, 11:11 AM
See also the popular MTV show 'Catfish'. (132 episodes so far)

I knew some catfish back in the day, 20 years OK. They were lonely mainly, not financial scammers. For most the attention is more important.

And no, I'm not a catfish, despite the whiskers. Or the cartoon avatar. Wifeling disliked my previous RL pic, even though it didn't show my face.

Meghan4now
07-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Uhg,

Call it what you will, but I don't care for the implication. Sure, there are those out there that may either be only an internet profile, or even people that dress IRL to "dupe" someone. But I think a lot of us that go out dressed do so to please our own sense of self. And I would not include that under the concept of catfish.

Nyla F
07-30-2019, 10:44 PM
Tammy,

I have a fake identity here for privacy reasons, but I don’t pretend to be anyone else. So I think it is contextual. On this forum we expect members to use aliases, or their fem name, instead of their given name. And many here are closeted and can’t post photos of themselves. So just as you would be suspicious of a catfish who hid their true identity, I would expect others to be cautious in interactions with anonymous members.

Nyla

abbiedrake
07-31-2019, 02:49 AM
I rather sense that Megan was disparaging of deceit rather than anonymity, Nyla. Big difference.

mbmeen12
07-31-2019, 03:56 AM
As Capt Obvious would say, "this being a public site and you will find publically a wide array of audiences"...As to actual %'s????

Their is no way to find out....

Rogina B
07-31-2019, 09:13 PM
While there may be no members here that deceive for financial gains,I have been here a good while and feel there are imaginary people here. Short,quips of no substance combined with no one having met the person in the real world,makes me suspect.

GretchenJ
07-31-2019, 10:29 PM
I think that there are people who try to deceive , either to spark conflict, or for a thesis for some research.

In the years I have been here and have been an admin, I can count on one or two hands the number of people who have been caught either by the mods , but more often by the members ( all of you !) who research all their prior posts, or just don’t pass the sniff test

Nyla F
08-01-2019, 06:50 AM
Abbie, I agree, that is the distinction I was trying to make and therefore those of us that wish to be anonymous are not automatically catfish. But since it is difficult to determine our motives, it is wise to be cautious as Rogina describes.

Janica
08-03-2019, 04:22 AM
I don't show my true self here...or get on very often...I am just scared to reveal all...not a catfish :)