PDA

View Full Version : The Women We Wanted to Be

alysonatl
03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
There are certain female icons who have inspired me over the years. They are the actresses who captured my fancy and made me want to be them, at least be the women they portrayed. Or have their hair-dos wear their fabulous gowns and dazzling jewels to the Oscars. Have any of you had these fantasies? Here's my Top 10 list of the actresses who I would have liked to be in their primes (both past and present).

1. Elizabeth Taylor (my first fantasy)
2. Natalie Wood (especially in her movies of the 1960s)
3. Catherine Zeta Jones (my top fave of the current generation of actresses)
4. Audrey Hepburn (so fashionable and ladylike)
5. Lauren Bacall (sexy and tough)
6. Rita Hayworth (sly, sexy and stunning)
7. Mary Tyler Moore (especially as Laura Petrie)
8. Marlo Thomas (who wouldn't want to be That Girl)
9. Julia Roberts (a woman worth emulating)
10. Sophia Loren (hot and spicy)

Of course, the list changes according to the last movie I saw, but that's the up-to-date list.

GypsyKaren
03-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi Alyson

For me it was always Olivia de Havilland. She was the epitomy of beauty, charm, and grace. Also, Lauren Bacall for me too, she's quite a unique lady.

Karen

Teresa Amina
03-25-2006, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=GypsyKaren Olivia de Havilland. She was the epitomy of beauty, charm, and grace. [/QUOTE]

Absolutely! She even aged well, not a common thing with Hollywood types.

Charlene Marie
03-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Fun Thread. Certainly all the ones you mentioned Aly. And for me; Faye Dunaway in the original Thomas Crown Affair. The scene where she is playing chess with Steve Mcqueen. In her backless dress, her hair up and those long square pink finger nail, OMG, stop my heart.

Breanne
03-25-2006, 11:09 PM
I agree with your list, maybe not in the same order:
"1. Elizabeth Taylor (my first fantasy)"
Absolutely!
"2. Natalie Wood (especially in her movies of the 1960s)"
Definite 'yes.'
"3. Catherine Zeta Jones (my top fave of the current generation of actresses)"
Her & Jennifer Garner
"4. Audrey Hepburn (so fashionable and ladylike)"
Admired, but couldn't relate to closely.
"5. Lauren Bacall (sexy and tough)"
"6. Rita Hayworth (sly, sexy and stunning)"
Terrific, but not top of my list.
"7. Mary Tyler Moore (especially as Laura Petrie)"
Probably the first one I fantasized as.
"8. Marlo Thomas (who wouldn't want to be That Girl)"
The only one who wouldn't be on my list, nothing negative, just would not have thought of her.
"9. Julia Roberts (a woman worth emulating)"
Yeah, Yeah, and Yeah!
"10. Sophia Loren (hot and spicy)"
Unbelievably exciting in so many ways, especially age wise, if she can look like that at her age, I still have hope!
I would like to add Stephanie Powers (of Hart to Hart) to this list - smart, sexy, romantic, tough but soft, etc. etc.

Fabulous thread.

Joanna Kavalaskas
03-25-2006, 11:53 PM
I would like to add a few more to this very good list of ladies, Dana Delaney, so feminine and a fantastic smile. Ann Margret, some of the most intriquing eyes, and so very easy on the eyes, still. The beautiful young woman that taught home-ec, when I was in school, brunette, statuesque, with a laugh that would stop a man in his tracks at 50 feet. Now, why won't the names of a few dozen others come to me? Probably because now I"m fantasizing about those listed above. Joanna

Jennaie
03-26-2006, 12:47 AM
A very good list indeed.

I also loved Kelly McGillis in her role in Winter People.

Melanie Griffith in Shining through.

I especially love Meg Ryan and Saundra Bullock. Neither of which are sophisticated and elegant. But they are both very sexy in their own ways.

I find it interesting that you describe Sophia Loren as Hot and Spicy. I have always viewed her as elegant and sophisticated. A woman who sets the standards for all others. And that goes for Audrey Hepburn as well.

Of course, me being very attracted to redheads, Annette Benning is a woman that I could stop dressing for. Unless of course she wasn't home and left her closet door open.:cheeky: :cheeky:

Eric/a
03-26-2006, 07:35 AM
I don't think it was any of the big screen or TV stars that affected me so much as maybe more likely some of the models in magazines like Cosmo, Elle, Glamour, Vogue, etc., that my Mom always had in a stack on a coffee table. I don't remember any of their names right off, because this started when I was about 10. I didn't care who they were, because I was more interested in what it would be like to wear whatever it was they were modeling, be it dresses, lingerie, hose, swimwear, or even the nail color they were showing off in their strappy sandals. I thought they had the best job anybody could want. Not only could they wear stuff like that to work, that WAS their work! Funny, I just remembered a swimwear ad with the slogan, "For women who are not afraid to look feminine!" Right away, I started thinking it would be great if it also said, "...and for men who wish they could!":D

Jodi
03-26-2006, 11:20 AM
It would have to be Lindsey Wagner. She was especially fab in the old TV miniseries "Scruples". So sad that today she has been reduced to advertising mattresses.

Jodi

Joy Carter
03-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Natalie Wood comes to mind realy beautiful eyes

HaleyPink2000
03-26-2006, 12:54 PM
You want to see a neat link. This one has all the Femme clothing from major movies.

I'm into Southern Belle dresses, and Gone with the wind, Yes, it is my fav movie, with the dresses and all. There are others, like the Gowns & dresses worn in Star wars. Wow!

http://www.ferdalump.com/

alysonatl
03-26-2006, 11:49 PM
I would love to thank all of you fabulous girls for replying. You gave me some foodd for thought and reminded me of some of the beautiful actresses I didn't add to my list (especially Olivia).

What I found interesting was the lack of certain names, women who are considered rrole models for girls like us. Mainly the blonde bombshells:
Marilyn Monroe, Marlene Dietrich, Jayne Mansfield to todays blondes like Jenna Elfman and Scarlett Johamsen (my #11 btw). Did Clairol have it wrong? Do blondes not have as much fun?

Hugs and kisses to all you sweeties

Robyn2006
03-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Here are my top 5 (their pictures below, but likely not in the same order):

1. Adriana Lima (of course)
2. Danielle Riley
3. Elisha Cuthbert
4. Estella Warren
5. Unknown (but have you ever seen more perfect makeup? I know... the pic's been doctored.)

Robyn

kris_dresser
03-29-2006, 05:52 AM
ohh so many to choose from, but will name my top two:

Betty Page
Julie Newmar

Lissa Stevens
03-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Elizabeth Montgomery was my first. There was something "magical" about her.

alysonatl
03-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Did you ever see a movie and identify so strongly with a female character than you fantasized being her? In my latest top ten, my favorite female roles:

1. Scarlett O'Hara, Gone With The Wind
2. Holly Golightly, Breakfast at Tiffany's
3. Velma Kelly, Chicago
4. Sabrina Fairchild, Sabrina
5. Anita, West Side Story
6. Maggie the Cat, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
7. Bonnie Parker, Bonnie & Clyde
8. Lisa Carol Fremont, Rear Window
9. Lorelei Lee, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
10.Margo Channing, All About Eve

Julie Avery
03-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Several different films with Meryl Streep have done that for me. She is not the most beautiful face on the silver screen, but to me, she just radiates an inner feminine beauty.

KarenNY
03-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Oh absolutely! I love old movies, and I love some of the incredibly feminine actresses in many of them. The actresses I particularly found myself wishing I were in their roles (and of course, their clothes!) include Audrey Hepburn (Sabrina, Roman Holiday, Charade, Breakfast at Tiffany's), Joan Fontaine (Rebecca, Suspicion), Eva Marie Saint (North By Northwest), Grace Kelly (Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, To Catch a Thief), Lauren Bacall, Doris Day and of course, my favorite, Ingrid Bergman (Notorious, Spellbound, Casablanca).

Jenniffer
03-29-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't know if I have ten.

1. Jodie Foster (character)
2. Jamie Lee Curtis (body)
3. Cameron Diaz (face)
4. Angelina Jolie (sexy)
5. Bridgette Bardot (she had it all)

Jenniffer

Amelia Moxon
03-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Well for a time it was Jorja Fox (CSI) but after watching Resident Evil 2 Apocalypse (Great Film) I would have to say Sienna Guillory, but her in character as Jill Valentine mmm, must get me an outfit like that (including the Sig p226 of course!!)

Hugs
Amelia xxx

Holly_of_Bucks
03-29-2006, 02:32 PM
For me the ultimate woman has to be Sophia Loren as the pinnacle of femininity and also desirability. Her publicity picture for The Millionairess knocked this poor adolescent's head into another gear while her many other films are ones I watch again and again.

No one else comes close.

Foxy Lady
03-29-2006, 03:17 PM
No doubt in my mind- Sophie Loren.

Holly_of_Bucks
03-29-2006, 04:15 PM
My reply set me wandering to find the publicity still used that had so inflamed me. I found http://www.operagloves.com/vidcaps3/TheMillionairess/millionairess3.html and from that I would have posted an image but can't figure out how to do that yet on this site :-(

Holly_of_Bucks
03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
An enquiring mind is a wonderful thing!

eleventhdr
03-29-2006, 05:24 PM
There certainly are a few now that I have gotten older and understand something about what being female and feminine is really all about but it sure did take a very long time to get there and even now and then i still find myself slipping when i am angry as a male oh to be finally able to leave that aside. Suzy!:

francesnonyx
03-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Gina Lollabrigida in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"...I think it was her hips, also Tina Louise on "Gilligan's Island"

Kristen L
03-29-2006, 06:24 PM
The One and Only Grace Kelly> Maybe this dates me a little but she was my dream girl.

size7satin
03-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Crystal Gail & Stevie Nicks .... Its the hair & dresses!

Gurly
04-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Ginger on Gilligan's Island
Salma Hayek
Lauren Bacall
Ava Gardner
Liz Taylor (50's and 60's)
Natalie Wood
Joey Heatherton
I can't remember the actresses' name but she played the blonde secretary on NYPD Blue for a couple of years named Donna. She had sort of a retro classy look.

MaggieCD
04-20-2006, 09:38 AM
How could anyone not mention Diana Riggs?

The infamous Mrs. Peal! :>)

Bonnie D
04-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Here are a few of my favourites;

Marilyn Monroe
Jane Fonda
Anne Margarite
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Angelina Jolie
Susan Sarandon
Xena Seeberg
Madonna
Kylie Minogue
Qwen Stefani
Jessica Rabbit (lol)

There are many more but that's it for now.

Bonnie

Natalie tv
04-20-2006, 03:22 PM
For me its Raquel Welch she had a fab body and still does, i tried to copy with my avatar.

Anahis
04-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Elizabeth Hurley, wow she's my girl.

Faye Emmette
04-20-2006, 04:46 PM

Oh of course, I've mentioned "Man Appeal" Emma Peel before. Her subliminal choice of name helped me with mine.
Others are:
Morticia Addams,
Gina Lolabrigida,
Dusty Springfield,
Patricia Neal,
Julie Newmar,
Bardot,
Sophia,
Monica Vitti,
Cindy Barnes.

Lisa Marie
04-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Heres a few of mine. 1. Reese Witherspoon, Priscillia Barnes (Three's Company). Catherine Bach, (Daisy Duke) Melissa Gilbert, (The Lifetime Movie actress) and the beautiful Victoria Principal from Dallas. There's still more but cant think of them at the moment. :thumbsup:

janedoe311
04-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Some of my icons, beauty and brains and talent

Nefertiti
Cleopatra
Sophia Loren
May West
Marilyn Monroe
Diana Riggs
Rachel Welch
Julie Newmar
Julie Andrews
Linda Carter
Sally Ann Howes, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Shows you how old I am!

anonjulz
04-21-2006, 07:09 PM
One of the things that I find most fascinating is that most of you all define women by the ultimate celebrities. I'm just curious, do any of you find normal, amazing women that you run into in normal life worthy of emulating? Just curious...

AmandaM
04-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Every day!

Jessica the brunette
Rachael the blond
Amy the blond
the girl that just walked past...
etc
etc

Jeanette TS
04-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Well i want to be me but very sexy and stunning with it. So one of my stars are Anastacia she is the look i would like to copy, she is so sexy and so much the female that i have asked the surgeon that is doing my FFS that if he can help me in getting the look that's what Jeanette wants to look like.

Lov Jeanette xx23581

Teresa Amina
04-21-2006, 10:58 PM
do any of you find normal, amazing women that you run into in normal life worthy of emulating?

All the time! I work in a retail environment and seldom does a day go by that I don't see someone whos looks or style I don't admire. Occaisionally there's a real standout middle aged beauty that you know will always look good, even when she's old and in the nursing home!

Khriss
04-22-2006, 12:40 AM

... dating, ( my childhood influences wise-) myself ?

Tamara Barclay
04-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Mary Ann from Gilligans Island
Crystal Benhard from Wings
And my ultimate... My wife!!! Really!!!! The sexiest and most beautiful woman I have ever seen!!!