PDA

View Full Version : So at work today ...

Macey
09-03-2019, 04:20 PM
I've had my nails grown out for months. Maybe a year.

Today on a smoke break a co worker started with "Do you mind if I ask a personal question?"

Oh boy … "Of course not! Worst I'd do is decline to answer!"

"Do you get your nails manicured?"

"No, I need to though, overdue!"

"Because you have nails a woman would die for!"

"Awwww, thank you!"

I didn't gush. Hope I didn't gush. But felt so good for the compliment :)

Maid_Marion
09-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Wow! Great complement!

I can grow nice nails but I find new ways of breaking them. The last time was trying to get on my heeled booties. I need to be more patient sometimes.

Tracii G
09-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Pretty awesome huh?

Barbara Black
09-03-2019, 05:53 PM
I don't have any luck with nails either, but throughout my life as a kid I was constantly told that I have the curly hair that girls would die for. Now that I could use it, it's turned gray or fallen out! Damn!

BTWimRobin
09-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Totally awesome. Was your coworker male or female? Not that it matters.

BLUE ORCHID
09-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Hi Macey :hugs:, All of my nails are obviously long and the two first nails are a 1/4" beyond the finger tips.

My:love:Wife used to tell me that my nails looked very feminine,
And I would thank her and she said " That's not a compliment "

I said that I would cut them but I ill not be able to scratch your back anymore.

Long story short I still have long light pink nails that I manicure myself. >Orchid .oO:daydreaming:Oo

Crissy 107
09-03-2019, 08:53 PM
Macey, Very nice compliment from your co worker! I know you had to love it!

alwayshave
09-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Macey, That is a great compliment. I wish I had nice nails, but alas they are awful.

Davina2833
09-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Macey and ladies,

What a fantastic comment, anytime I get a complement on my nails, its a wonderful day.

Davina

Stephanie47
09-04-2019, 10:19 AM
The quote sounds as if a woman would have made the compliment. I cannot imagine a man would take notice let alone make a compliment. My nails could look decent if I stopped getting gouges on them from knocking them into something.

Sometimes Steffi
09-04-2019, 01:01 PM
I've had comments twice.

First time, long natural nails (not that long, but way longer than the average guy).

I was signing the paperwork for the receptionist at the doctor's office. I got what you got, "You have nails a woman would die for!"

Second time, at work, my normal boy nails (you could see maybe an eighth of an inch of white, plus wearing clear glossy "nail protector" that my wife gave me.

Working at a table with my customer, kind of a man's man. He seemed like a blue collar tech who worked his way up to engineer.

Him: "Are you wearing nail polish?" (no pleasantries)

Me:"No, but I am wearing nail protector that my wife gave me to keep my nails from splitting." The response was thought out before, in case I got asked at work.

Seemed to satisfy him, but he was not the kind of guy who was easily satisfied. He probably didn't believe me, but I had plausible deniability.

Macey
09-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Totally awesome. Was your coworker male or female? Not that it matters.

It was a gg. I don't think the menfolk in the office would ask, or if so it would be tinged with a little sarcasm to shield their own fragile masculinity for fear of someone noticed that they noticed ;)

lovelyleela
10-04-2019, 10:22 AM
when you do the manicure, do you also go for colors, I am planning to get my nails manicured this week (first time and little anxious).

Micki_Finn
10-04-2019, 10:55 AM
You don?t have to get color when you get a manicure, but since you?re paying for it anyway you can at least get a clear polish. Just getting a mani or going for a full set? If you?re getting acrylics, you might as well have them painted, since they aren?t going to be subtle anyway.

And if it makes you feel better, TONS of guys get manicures, so no reason to be nervous.

Sometimes Steffi
10-04-2019, 12:34 PM
I don't get color on my fingers unless I'm going to be away for a few days. But, I always get color on my toes. Sometime I pick a color from the rack at the salon (Note, pick it before you sit in the pedi chair) or I bring my own and just hand it to them, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed at the choice of colors at the salon so I buy nail polish in advance at CVS or Sally's. sometimes I find a color I like at Nordstrom Rack or Marshals on sale.

Patience
10-04-2019, 02:04 PM
Congrats. My nails can look decent, but my work environment is not ideal.

I need to be more patient sometimes. Don't we all? ;)

Palaina Nocturnus
10-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Hello Macy,

Isn't it fun when you get a compliment about you looking girly?! I love it, I'll comment on what a woman is wearing as cute or pretty and most take the compliment and see the wizard behind the curtain lol

The best ones are the ones that are offended lol I was standing in line at a gas station and I hear behind me OMG I THOUGHT YOU WERE A WOMAN!!! I turned around and said thank you that's kinda the point. She then exclaimed how shocked she was that I wasn't a woman. I said well I dress like this to look like a woman and I'm going to take what was said as a compliment. I looked her dead in the eyes and asked if it was intended any different. She said no and remained quiet. The cashier laughed cuz I went in there every day dressed up so they knew me and how ahem open and loud I can be lol

Have a fantabulous day hun!

lingerieLiz
10-04-2019, 11:15 PM
I had planned to get my nails done, but the gal doing my hair complimented me about my nails and asked who did them. When I said myself she got all excited about how well I did.

*ROXY*
10-23-2019, 10:33 AM
I grow my nails out and they're painted every day. I'm fortunate to not be working in a customer facing job and my bosses are fine with it. I often get complements which are amazing. Would love to get a proper manicure and tidy up my cuticles just to see how much better it is (and who doesn't love a pamper session). This week is the first week they've not painted and they just look so boring and plain, makes me a little sad. I had to cut them as they were interfering with typing and I cut them too short. Waiting for them to grow back then I'll got for some bright neon pink or red.

Bobbi46
10-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Macey, What a lovely thing for someone to say to you you must have felt as though you were on cloud nine as a result, also what a lovely encouragement as well, good for you.

suzanne
10-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Nice story. It is indeed great to get compliments about your presentation. Was it a woman who made the comment? I find women feel quite free to offer compliments because they notice more and they get us and appreciate when we make an effort to look nice.

Majella St Gerard
10-29-2019, 10:32 AM
I'm was a security guard at a resort, and I was talking to the young woman at the front desk (I was subtly flirting) and she noticed my longer than masculine and clear coated nails. She mentioned them and then asked me if I was a cross dresser, I hesitated for a second and then just said yes I am. I showed her a pic of me on my phone, she was cool with it. Our work relationship did not change at all.

Star01
10-29-2019, 10:49 AM
I have to keep mine trimmed so I can play guitar (something I've loved since 1966) and anyone who plays knows how much nails can get in the way. I do, however, use clear nail polish on my fingernails and red on my toenails which looks great with my shaved legs.

Tracii G
10-29-2019, 11:01 AM
Guitar player here too so my nails stay short.
I grew mine out for a couple of years while not playing guitar a lot so I know how nice long nails feel.

Kaylin
10-29-2019, 01:36 PM
That is a great compliment. I also can't grow mine out. Guitar player as well. I tried to play with fake nails on and I failed lol that's the one thing I have to say No too. But I do paint my toe nails so there's that lol

April Rose
10-29-2019, 02:12 PM
I'm trying to learn to play the guitar as well. So, my nails need to be short, for sure, because I need all the help I can get. I do polish them from time to time, sometimes with an opaque flesh color that I will wear even in drab. It doesn't make me play any better.

JocelynJames
10-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Hi Macey,
Yet another guitar player here so I keep my fretting hand nails short , but grow my pick hand nails as I finger style at times and hybrid pick. My mother actually complimented my nails recently . Those nails have gone to crap this week as the job I?m doing at work has really sharp edges . I literally only have something substantial for nails on the ring and pinky fingers. My hand is pretty beat up. This particular job will be 3 weeks, so kiss the nails buy bye.

Jennifer in CO
10-29-2019, 10:12 PM
I used to work in the photo industry so explaining to people why I had long nails was easy...to handle negatives without touching them. Stick a corner into the quick and the nail acts like a shelf...no fingerprints. Then people who know me say "but that was 30 years ago". My reply..."old habits are hard to kill". My nails were usually about a 1/4 inch+ past the end and in a semi-almond shape tip. Now-a-days they stay about an 1/8 or so past. Working with horses and other livestock is difficult to keep long nails from being broken.

JanetW
10-30-2019, 12:04 AM
Wearing a set of long painted acrylics is wonderful but definitely gets in the way of playing guitar or typing. I can actually play chords reasonably well with them but shredding licks? Forget it. Same for banging out code or emails. My priorities dictate short nails.

BeingDarlene
10-31-2019, 11:24 AM
Well, I wear clear nail polish on my nails all the time. No one has ever noticed, because I use a matte top coat that truly works to put them in "stealth mode". Completely undetectable. I've even been able to wear a coat of Essie "Sheers to You" sheer pink, with the matte top coat. My wife and I are the only ones who know, and even she can't tell when I have the pink polish on. And it does help to keep them from cracking and chipping. That might be paetly becuase I'm a little more careful about not beating up my nails after all the work I put into filing, buffing, and applying the polish!

BethanyCross
10-31-2019, 01:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, and since you said you were on a smoke break, do you handle your cigarette in a feminine manner?

julieanneharton
10-31-2019, 06:46 PM
Like BeingDarlene, I wear matte nail polish most of the time. In a semi-amusing incident a couple of weekends ago, though, I decided to redo my nails while tired and slightly drunk, and ended up going to bed with only the base coat on, which dries slightly shiny (under dull, indoor lighting), and very obviously shiny in daylight. I woke up, had to rush to a meeting with some friends, and forgot that I'd not put the matte layer on. I didn't notice until I arrived at my friends house, by which time it was too late. My hands spent a lot more time than they normally would in my pockets, but we were eating brunch, so they couldn't stay hidden. And the friends had invited a woman I'd not met before; I was mortified, as there were lots of double-take glances at my fingers. That said, no one said anything, and I got an unexpectedly cheery goodbye from their visiting friend, but I felt ridiculously self conscious throughout.

It's strange how circumstances (and knowing people) makes such a difference to how we feel. Not long before this I'd flown back to the UK wearing very obvious shiny gloss, as an experiment, and though many people, including the air stewardesses and waitresses noticed (and even a work colleague I bumped into unexpectedly) they all seemed quite chilled about it, and I felt fine the whole way.

I would love to start wearing colours in public, but feel I could only do it where I wasn't known.

Macey
11-01-2019, 02:47 AM
By the way, guitar player here too, but after retiring from performing, I haven't gigged in a few years, having picked up the guitar in months, but if the desire gets to me, OUT will come the nailclippers!

lovelyleela
11-19-2019, 07:35 PM
After lot of hesitation and having fear of unknown, I made the appointment and went to the nail salon. Oh what a good time it turned out. Had manicure and pedicure for the first time ever. It is an amazing experience. The nail tech was friendly and I got lovely pink color on my hands and on the toes. There were few GG customers, and no one really gave any attention when I was being attended to. Now made a note to self, to do it regularly. It has been a week now and no one really said anything. I feel happy that I did it.