PDA

View Full Version : Sadly, A Reality Check

Sophia Rearen
03-26-2006, 09:22 AM
It's nice to hear so many nice ending adventures of anyone who ventures out. However, there is still work to be done. Be safe out there. http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2006/03/1726167.php

Tina Dixon
03-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes we must be very carefull out there, got a brick in my purse.

DonnaT
03-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Man that really suks. I hope she files a law suit.

TGMarla
03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Such is life on the outer fringes, unfortunately. It brings to mind the scene from The Elephant Man, where he cries out "I'm a human being!" People are most scared of that which they don't understand. And if ignorace was a cash crop, no one would ever go broke.

Wendy me
03-26-2006, 10:22 AM
wow i just read that and it's true we do have a long road ahead of us. i find it sad that the veary people (the police) that are there to uphold the law and do so in a way that gives all people no matter of who thay are the respecte and careing that we all should have no matter who or what you are .... i do belive that no matter were you go no matter who you are you are going to run into people that can and will do things out or hate or stupidy ...

the one thing i can say is when you go out anywere in eather mode is be aware of were you are and whats around you. the only person you can truly intrust your safty to is you... i am not saying all pople are not to be trusted . but your safty is something you should never take lightly.....

Shelly Preston
03-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Its always sad to hear of storiess like this

So much for everyone being treated equally

Tamara Croft
03-26-2006, 10:31 AM
I've just read the article and I'm at a loss for words :Angry3:

Jodi
03-26-2006, 10:50 AM
I agree. Caution is the primary rule. I always think, would I want my daughter to go there. If the answer is no. Then I would not attempt it. There are posts here where girls do their first outing in an isolated area by themselves sometimes late at night. Women don't do that, and that, I would never do. You are much safer in a public venue surrounded by a crowd. Common sense should rule. When I am out dressed, I drink no alcohol. I want my wits about me at all times. I see some of the girls at girls night out who are drunk early in the evening. That is asking for a disaster to happen.

Color me cautious, but I am extremely careful where I go, especially when I am alone.

Jodi

cosmolovesph
03-26-2006, 11:21 AM
whoa!! :thumbsdn: :Angry3:

Katrina
03-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Wow! That is unbelievable. That is really scary when the police are just as bad as the rest of the bigots out there.

Joy Carter
03-26-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm going to reserve judgement on this one because we have not heard both sides. I witnessed an incident once that went to trial and after my testomy I sat in the gallery and heard many lies and distortions from people claiming to be there. The long and short of it was that the defendant was railroaded by lies from friends of the victim. He got ninety days and had a clean record up untill that point. I was shocked and outraged and wrote letters to the judge, prosecutor and defence attorney.I recieved a call from the deffence attorney and I'm going to be witness in the appeal process. The courts are not where the truth is found and the court of public opion are even less so.

jillinla
03-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I'd choose the brick over the lawsuit

Helen MC
03-26-2006, 01:38 PM
This is too disgusting for words. :Angry3:

I would hope that a TG who had been assaulted would be treated far better by the Cops here in the UK but somehow I feel that this could happen over here too. Homosexuals do now have a lot more protection especially if they can prove that they have been the victim of a Homophobic Hate Crime and there is even an Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police (London's Police Force) who is openly Homosexual. We have "out" Government Ministers, MPs etc. However M to F TVs and CDs are still considered by many men and alas some women too as a bit of a joke and fair game to be mocked where the same people would not insult a male Homosexual for fear of prosecution. If the TV reacts they will then hit him and say it was self defence or that he started it.

We have still got a large hill to climb and as I have said before we need a well known and liked male public figure with some status and influence to come-out and state openly that they Cross-Dress.

sherri
03-26-2006, 01:56 PM
What's scary is there was no way for that victim to not be a victim in that situation. She was screwed the minute some drunk s**t-for-brains redneck decided to be belligerant. And successfully suing law enforcement agencies is a long shot at best.

Lauren Mitchell
03-26-2006, 02:41 PM
We are supposed to be free and open society. At least that is what is says on paper.

For many of us, we have enjoied the freedom of going out dressed to the nines and had a good time. Either shopping, taking in the sights, eating out, a club, etc. Those are great times.

Yet I look around myself and see that bigots and homophobs abound. In a survey that I conducted last year, sadly I discovered what Sophia said in the first post, there is still more work to be done. Both in the leglislation and in public education.

I feel that through the later, education, we can begin to get society to realize the errors of their ways. After all, we are not hurting anyone, so why should someone hurt us?

Maybe someday the bigotry will end and we can all enjoy going out anywhere at anytime. Until then we must all keep a weather eye out for the morons who insist on taking advantage of us.

Possibly if the various gender gifted organizations can come together with a common goal to educate society and petition the legislators, there can be some forward movement. But in the meantime, we should try and take this one step at a time (it is long walk, I recommend low heels or flats...;) ) and work in trying to bring about a better society one day at a time.

Love
Lauren

Deborah
03-26-2006, 03:37 PM
So next time someone wants to start a "Are UK girls braver then US girls" thread now you know why most of us are scared to go out (Among other reasons also of course). ;)

Julie Avery
03-26-2006, 03:48 PM
I want to say something different here, I've been thinking about this post all day.

The assault was a shameful crime.
The police response at the scene was a shameful crime.
The incarceration and abuse of the victim was a shameful crime.
I can't say that strongly enough.

Now.
As a practical matter.
Most lawyers will tell you, the *only* place to argue with a law enforcement official is in a courtroom. Never at the scene.

At the scene, law enforcement has all the power, you have none.
In court, the scales are (hopefully, almost always in the western world) more carefully balanced.

If you reread that article, see if you don't agree with me about this: If the victim had not followed the police officers as they removed the criminal from the scene, and challenged them, I do not believe she would have been arrested.

You may say, "But we shouldn't have to swallow our pride like that."

In a perfect world, no.

In this one, yes. It pays to remember: the place to argue with law enforcement is in court, not at the scene.

carol ann
03-26-2006, 03:56 PM
In the UK the media are the problem - it is incapable of reporting anything factually - all it is looking for is sensationalism, so here we just have to keep our heads down in case we find ourselves in court (under any pretext). A parking offence would be reported over a full page with a headline ( with full name and addresses) as

"Man in panties and bra fined for being in wrong place" or something similar

Natalie x
03-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Sophia, we need to sometimes be reminded that there's still an awfully long way to go before we overcome this bigotry.

I emailed Maria, to see if there's any way I (and, by extension, the rest of us) can help in any way. Yes, I agree with Joy Carter, that we have only heard one side of the story, so need to be careful before passing judgement, but I can't just sit back and do nothing. knowing that a sister is suffering.

Marlena Dahlstrom
03-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Not a big suprise, Is Los Angeles.

Ahh...actually it happened in Miami.

It's obviously deplorable what happened, and we should let the Miami PD know we think it needs to be thoroughly investigated (as has been pointed out, we've heard only one person's version of the events).

But let's not forget a number of people have written about their interaction with police officers who were appropriately professional. In other words, while it's good to be mindful of the possibility of these sorts of shameful incidents, thankfully they're not the norm.

Robyn2006
03-26-2006, 08:25 PM
What the hell is wrong with these idiots? Why would anyone care what life someone decides to lead??? They are as transparent as any racial bigot, belittling another in some pathetic attempt to feel themselves important.

Robyn

steffie39
03-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I've been only going out a short time but have yet to go to a club or places like that described in the article. My brief experience has been confined to restaurants, malls or movies. Unfortunately clubs like the ones described seem to have more narrow-minded people that are not tolerant of people different from them. It's one thing to make faces or stare but quite another when someone directs violence at you because you crossdress. It makes me afraid to ever venture out to places such as this.

Steffie

Kimberley
03-26-2006, 10:09 PM
We do have a long way to go everywhere. Maria is lucky, it could have been a lot worse had she been on the street.

ReginaK
03-27-2006, 03:10 AM
Yes we must be very carefull out there, got a brick in my purse.

I carry a bit more than brick sometimes. And recently it became legal to use it in situations like Maria's.

Bernice
03-27-2006, 09:16 PM
I carry a bit more than brick sometimes. And recently it became legal to use it in situations like Maria's.

Indeed, in Kansas, SB418 just passed, allowing concealed firearms for non-felons who take training and pay a $150 registration fee. Should I ever decide to venture out in public again, I may very well "pack heat" in my purse or under my skirt. In writing my elected officials in support of the measure, I made numerous references to women being attacked, spousal abuse in violation of restraining orders, etc. Men are generally stronger than women. Men are generally more violent than women. Women can "level the playing field" by being properly armed, and properly trained, except in major airports, bars, federal buildings, public schools, and courtrooms - the last five safe havens for violent criminals to perpetrate their crimes.

Maria's experience, and what I read on Amnesty International makes me sick - of course. I also think Julie Avery has a very valid point. You can never win an argument with an idiot or a bigot, and you should save your arguing for the courtroom.

Go ahead, make my day...

Hugs,

Bernice

Charlene Marie
03-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Such is life on the outer fringes, unfortunately. It brings to mind the scene from The Elephant Man, where he cries out "I'm a human being!" People are most scared of that which they don't understand. And if ignorace was a cash crop, no one would ever go broke.

Miami is hardly the outer fringes, what happened to this poor girl happens more often than we hear about. These cowards who assulated her were not afraid of her they were racist, macho, pigs.

tori-e
03-27-2006, 11:04 PM
After reading this I was quite upset. There was an email adress ,so I sent an email to her. I've posted her response here. If others are interested, I can post if/when I hear more.

Tori

Hi, thank you for reaching out to me with your words of encouragement. I originally had mixed feeling regarding telling what had happened to me. But as the days passed my anger could not be contained. I am glad that I decided to share and move forward to see what could be done regarding the police misconduct. I do hope that if anything this will help other transwoman and men know the importance of reporting incidents of hate and misconduct by police regardless how small or large. We cannot be silent anymore. I currently working with Unity Coalition from Miami. I was charged with trespassing (false charges of course) that should be dropped, I will be filing negligence and misconduct charges against the Night Club ,Security and the Police Department, However this will be a challenging...I will keep you updated on things as they go along...
Maria Louise Roman

Jennaie
03-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I found myself in a very awkward position about 5 or 6 years ago with a man who not only was very rude but actually slipped his hand up my skirt and felt my crotch. I don't know what it is about being dressed en-femme that made me feel so vulerable, but I felt helpless. Deep inside I knew that I was quite capable of putting him in a hospital but I wanted to be a lady and address the issue as such.

Once I realized that being a lady was not going to work, I immediatly reverted to my male voice and told him that if he did not want to meet the male side of me he needed to run fast and began to extend my arm towards his throat. He quickly retreated and called me a bitch as he left. At least he addressed me as female.:cheeky:

Jennaie :be:

audrycd
03-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Well welcome to the real world of bigots racest and the rich and the powerfull. In my small town town comunity around 20 years ago there was this man that wore nylon panties and hose under his male cloths. This comunity maid his life hell there would be those that would beat the hell out of him from time to time. That went on for years no body seem to be concerned about what was happening to him. Well lat one night these bigots threw a lit can of gasoline threw one of his windows and bernd his house to the ground with him in it. I can remember deputy scheriff saying he was a bit weird and was carlless smoking a cigarett and set fire to his place and that was that. I don't think dressing out side the home will ever be accepted. I think you all really deep down no that in a world were the majorety rulls society we all live in.