PDA

View Full Version : For those with long hair...

Anima-87-388
03-26-2006, 09:38 AM
How much does your long hair matter to you?

I know there are alot of different feelings people have about a guy with long hair, here are a few things i've heard about my hair over the past few years;

makes me look sexy, hot etc. :D
tells people I must be a musician (which I am) :cool:
makes me look like a hippie, punk teen or similar :Angry3:

It's never really caused me any problems, I've worn it up to school with a jaw clip and no one really seems to care. I know I want to keep my hair long from here till death :eek: (i'm 19) but I got to wondering if it's just as easy as that?

I get really upset when someone tells me I have to cut my hair before I can get a job even though I doubt someone can not hire you based only on the fact that you have long hair (unless it's a safety precaution)

I don't want to give up my long hair for anyone and so I shan't. it's much too much a part of me. So here I am wondering if i'm making a big deal out of nothing, the worst thing I EVER get is silly teasing and nothing more. Am I just making a big deal out of it?

P.S. Believe me, having your own hair is better than ANY wig. I can jump, skip, spin, lie down, stick my head out the window and even take a bath with it and I don't eeeever have to worry about it falling off or coming out of place :D

Ms. Donna
03-26-2006, 09:49 AM
I know there are alot of different feelings people have about a guy with long hair, here are a few things i've heard about my hair over the past few years;

Just so long as they don't tell you that it makes you look like... a girl! :OMG:

My hair was always short. Over the past few years I've let it grow, cut it, and am letting it grow again. It's just down to my shoulders now. I thing a few more inches will about do it.

What I like most about it? I love having hair that moves... :cool:

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Wendy me
03-26-2006, 09:58 AM
long hair yes i got long hair . my wife was after me to cut it ... tons of freinds told me you need a hair cut ... how many times my wife told me you look like a girl ... now it's all good hair in my eyes .... hair in my mouth ...hair every were ....washing and drying it it such a pain in the butt but i love it.......

kim in n.c.
03-26-2006, 10:03 AM
I also have long hair. Im also much older than you, Im 47. I live on the other side of the country from you,north carolina.
I'v had long hair since 1973. So everyone who knows me ,knows me with long hair. The only teasing I get is lighthearted from my dad!
As far as getting hired. I have a very good job with very good pay and all the bennies available. Believe it or not I work in the nascar racing industry!
Keep the hair, Keep playing music ( Im a drummer in a rock band), & keep the faith

While my own hair is fine when dressing, I just today ordered two wig's for myself. Why? different color ,and when Im staying at home sometimes I dont want to take the time to fix my own.

Marla S
03-26-2006, 10:06 AM
I am from Europe living in a big city, so it might be a bit different here. Long hair usually are not a big deal, though like with anything "not normal" you get some negative feedback from time to time, but nothing serious.

As for the job, it depends on what kind of job you think of. You will get trouble in jobs where you are a representative of the company, the on or other way. They care a lot for a uniform style. You will get less to no trouble in jobs where you either are "hidden" from the public or those with some individuality involved (creative jobs, sciences).

TGMarla
03-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't eeeever have to worry about it falling offYeah, well, you're 19. Wait until you're 35.

Anima-87-388
03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
^^^ I said falling off , not falling out :D

DebbieThomas
03-26-2006, 11:54 AM
over the years I've had mid back length hair afew times, and I'm at that point again. I will not cut it again for no one. I'm 39 now, yes it has effected jobs opportunity, just means you have to look harder for jobs that allow it. besides you cant do this with a wig.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/DebraThomas/hairbraidbackcloseresized.jpg

so keep your long hair and enjoy it.

huggs

barbie lanai
03-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I had a long pony tail for probably 10 years. Just seemed to always tangle when I combed it. So whacked the pony tail off recently. Bummer is still have tangles just no pony tail. So letting it grow out again. The hair can be long, but was thin enough, I never felt at ease with out a wig. But had a feeling of backup in case the wind blew my wig off and down the street or something. I could at least still have long thin hair while running after the wig.

Maureen Henley
03-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Amina,
I started letting my hair grow when I was forty.(now 53) I'm an accountant, and have been hired at two different companies with my ponytail. Keep it clean, keep it neat, dress appropriately, and you shouldn't have any major problems on job seeking, except, of course for the military or public safety. I get few, if any, disparaging comments about my hair length. Besides, with some of the hairstyles I've seen on young people over the last twenty years, a neat, uncolored, ponytail is almost conservative. You go, girl! ( I can't believe I just said that!)

"down to here, down to there, down to where it stops by itself..."

joni-alice
03-26-2006, 01:20 PM
what i dont have up front i replace with in back
hugs
the erasable j-a:cool:

Lilith Moon
03-26-2006, 01:28 PM
I've had long hair since my early twenties. People just assumed I was some sort of hippy rebel, which I suppose I was in some ways. It was waist length at one time. I always felt confident when out en femme with my own long hair.

Nowadays male pattern baldness has set in and, although it is still shoulder length, I look decidedly unfeminine without a wig. However, I now have tried three wigs and I can't hack it. I'm "read" a lot more than I used to be. Bad wigs, or getting older? I don't know.

BTW, like Anima my own hair is part of me and I'm keeping it. If what is left doesn't fall out.

Kayla Smith
03-26-2006, 02:05 PM
My hair has been long since I was 10 ( I am now 37) and ya I have gotten teased about my hair but I would never dream of cutting my hair for any reason, besides this was the one thing that attracted my wife to me when we first met and even she has told my that if I were to have my hair cut short, she would kick my A**. I think that having natural long hair makes passing a little easier when I am out en femme.

Hugs

VeronicaMoonlit
03-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah, well, you're 19. Wait until you're 35.

That's what Proscar? and minoxidil are for. :-)

Veronica

MaylinJane
03-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I LOVE my long hair. I've only cut it off twice, once for the navy and once during a purge when I was about 25. Both times I cried after I had done it and swore never again. I wear it in a ponytail at work with a second smaller hair band about 2 or 3 inches from the end to keep it from getting all tangled, seems to help keep the split ends away too. I've very rarely gotten any negative comments, I think most people either think along the lines of rocker/hippy/pothead, maybe crossdresser/girl. I've had perspective employers tell me that I had to cut my hair for a job before, but I figured if they're saying that they're just looking for reasons to not give me the job and I wasn't going to get it anyway.

May

Joy Carter
03-26-2006, 04:38 PM
In the early seventies I had hair to my sholders it was way to fine and I kept it in a "Tom Jones" (pony tail). Why did I do it was I protesting the war was I anti government or anti establishment ? NOOOOOOOOOO I was gender confused and I loved how it felt on my neck and how it looked when I took time to goom it. She asked me what was the first thing I was going to do when I retired last year I told her that I was growing my hair back again (what hair) She sead what on earth for ? She' shes right because I went back to work and my public image is important.

sky0629
03-26-2006, 05:09 PM
I enjoy my long hair at 46yrs old. and i get comment's about it but i just don't care what anyone think. it's neat and clean and i like it. so enjoy your hair it's all about you. can't remember the name of the song ( sign's sign's everywhere are sign's .

Lilith Moon
03-26-2006, 05:20 PM
That's what Proscar? and minoxidil are for. :-)

Veronica

I tried that. Developed an allergy to it :(

Robertacd
03-26-2006, 07:16 PM
I have had my hair long since I was in my 20's. Hasen't effected my ability to get a job. But I guess that really depends on the field of work you prefer. I am an electronics engineer and the engineering field is quite diverse when I comes to people. Engineers span the spectrum from the stereotypical nerdy geek to long haird hippies.

sharifemme
03-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Love having long hair! I am old enough that it was graying so now I color it to my wife's chagrin. I used to go to a salon as Shari to get it trimmed and styled, but the last time I went, they cut it way too short and I have been growing it out for about 6 months now. It's getting time for just a little trim!

Sharifemme

It's never really caused me any problems, I've worn it up to school with a jaw clip and no one really seems to care. I know I want to keep my hair long from here till death :eek: (i'm 19) but I got to wondering if it's just as easy as that?

I get really upset when someone tells me I have to cut my hair before I can get a job even though I doubt someone can not hire you based only on the fact that you have long hair (unless it's a safety precaution)

I don't want to give up my long hair for anyone and so I shan't. it's much too much a part of me. So here I am wondering if i'm making a big deal out of nothing, the worst thing I EVER get is silly teasing and nothing more. Am I just making a big deal out of it?

P.S. Believe me, having your own hair is better than ANY wig. I can jump, skip, spin, lie down, stick my head out the window and even take a bath with it and I don't eeeever have to worry about it falling off or coming out of place :D

Lilith Moon
03-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Love having long hair! I am old enough that it was graying so now I color it to my wife's chagrin.
Sharifemme

My wife is not very accepting of my CD-ing, but one thing she does like is me colouring my hair. She reckons it takes ten years off me. I also help her color her hair.

Lisa Golightly
03-27-2006, 07:50 AM
It is long and coloured. No one has an issue with it... nor with the pierced ears. I think the world is far more relaxed about these things now to the point where it is not necessarily viewed as being either effeminate or wayout.

shelby24_us
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
over the years I've had mid back length hair afew times, and I'm at that point again. I will not cut it again for no one. I'm 39 now, yes it has effected jobs opportunity, just means you have to look harder for jobs that allow it. besides you cant do this with a wig.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/DebraThomas/hairbraidbackcloseresized.jpg

so keep your long hair and enjoy it.

huggs

hi debbie,
i luv your hair and would like to chat sometime.
at yhaoo i am shelby24_us

shelby24_us
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
My hair has been long since I was 10 ( I am now 37) and ya I have gotten teased about my hair but I would never dream of cutting my hair for any reason, besides this was the one thing that attracted my wife to me when we first met and even she has told my that if I were to have my hair cut short, she would kick my A**. I think that having natural long hair makes passing a little easier when I am out en femme.

Hugs

i love your hair and would like to chat sometime
i am shelby24_us at yahoo

BrookeMckayla
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Anima, I know what you mean. I love my hair. I'm 35. I've had a ponytail since I was 16, so I speak from experience.

No, an employer can not discriminate because of your hair. But, that doesn't really matter because if they don't like it they will just use a different reason besides your hair.

I did have to cut mine once. To get a high-paying white-collar job.

Once I got it, I let it grow, let it grow! It's much, much easier to KEEP a job after you grow your hair, than it is to OBTAIN one with that hippie looking long hair. After they see how skilled I am, they can't let me go.

I tell ya though. I HATED cutting it! It was so bad growing it back. You know that awkward stage where it is long enough to be in your face, but not long enough to pull back. It was torture.

Petrina CD
03-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes long hair is great. I'm 52 and had very long hair as a teenager. For some reason very few guys in those days ,in my nick of the woods ,rarely if ever wore a pony tail . It was too " femme" HaHaHa. When I had long hair my desire to wear dresses had not yet been realized. It was just leotards and tights for me.

So I would say to a young cd , don't cut your hair.
My wife doesn't really like my cding but she loves my long hair . I have a nice pony tail and I wear my hair the same as male or female.
I work in construction and I wish someone would say I look girly, I would take it as a compliment.

Petrina cd

nezy
03-27-2006, 06:07 PM

My input would be: keep ur long hair now u never know in time to come...getting older... Just make ur self presentable in reguards for work..

nezy
03-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes long hair is great. I'm 52 and had very long hair as a teenager. For some reason very few guys in those days ,in my nick of the woods ,rarely if ever wore a pony tail . It was too " femme" HaHaHa. When I had long hair my desire to wear dresses had not yet been realized. It was just leotards and tights for me.

So I would say to a young cd , don't cut your hair.
My wife doesn't really like my cding but she loves my long hair . I have a nice pony tail and I wear my hair the same as male or female.
I work in construction and I wish someone would say I look girly, I would take it as a compliment.

Petrina cd Well good for u ...:cool: i have nothing agenst long hair..geesh

Lawren
03-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Like you I prefer my hair to be long. I love it that way. Even at the age of 46 I wear it down on my shoulders and letting it grow more.

Unfortunately for us there is the age old argument about men and long hair to deal with. Most of that argument comes from the Christian community and therefore from the Bible. Everyone is very fond of quoting the verse that says that long hair is a "disgrace" to a man. The same people who take a stand on that verse utterly fail to read the very next verse which says that long hair is "glory" to a woman. I, personally have never heard anyone tell a woman that she has to grow her hair long. Sad as it is, we are still fighting the same hypocrisy.

As for tha employment aspect, I am sure that there were many jobs that I did not get because my hair was "too long" Most of them were the better paying jobs too. The companies are much more concerned about their image than about an employee's personal preferences. Yes, it is discrimnation but just try to prove it. Good luck in that endeaver! But there hope. A lot of employers are "loosening up" about it. As time goes by I see more and more "long hairs" in respectible jobs. Actually, I think that most employers now would rather hire "long hairs" than some of the young people who are doing Goth/Lolita but that is just my opinion.

On a more personal note, I am a disabled Veteran and do not have to work anymore so I simply refuse to comply with any body else's arbitrary standards about my hair. If they don't like it, they don't have to look at me.

If you are willing to deal with a prejudiced world then, by all means, keep your hair long.

As a general rule of thumb. people will not say/do anything to you. In fact, I have gotten more compliments than insults about my hair.

Ok, enough rambling. I hope I said something that helps.