PDA

View Full Version : You just got a run in your pantyhose. How long before tossing them?

barbie lanai
03-26-2006, 09:53 PM
We all get runs, but can you live with one for a day saying I'll put on a fresh pair tomorrow.
An hour or two, go change during a coffee break or something.
Seconds, always must look your best, stop the presses and change now.
Keep it in the drawer, it'll heal itself?
Days, it was the last pair, it'll wait till I buy more.

elizabeth nicole
03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
if i got a run in my stockings i would die ,panty hose cant stand the bloody things to confining.

Billijo49504
03-26-2006, 10:04 PM
You don't have my choice, I hate pantyhose!!! I'll wear hose w/ garters or the stayups, but pantyhose, noway!!0.02

Kimberley
03-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Runs......yuch!!! The sooner they are discarded the better.

Krystenw
03-26-2006, 10:13 PM
I guess I'm from the old school. I do not feel dressed without pantyhose on. When I first started if I got a run I would cut the leg out of that pair and save it until I had another one legged pair and that way I could stretch the budget a little farther. Now I throw them in the wash and save them for when I harvest my garden and put onions in them one at a time and tie each onion seperately then hang the whole thing in the seller for the winter. I then just cut off one or two and use them as needed.
Krysten

Reana
03-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Circumstances would dictate what action was to be taken but I do have something to share relating to stopping the run. Any run can be stopped with a dab of silicone from a tube readily available at the hardware stores, Wal-Mart, and even many supermarkets. It even comes in clear as well as black and white. Most everyone may have already found other ways to stop the "runs" but this is my way. One thing however. This is not to be done while wearing the hosiery. ;)

trannie T
03-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Using silicone to repair pantyhose runs is almost as good as duct tape. Try nail polish.

EricaCD
03-26-2006, 10:55 PM
The other day I had what was probably one my most authentic female moments ever. I had a limited period of time to get dressed. As I was putting on my pantyhose I got a slight run in the right leg, just below the ankle. Dammit, I thought, pulled them off and started over.

Next pair, same bloody thing. Now I was really getting mad. I switched to a different brand and finally got myself together. It was kinda funny in retrospect but I remember a very lady-like anger at this little delay.

I checked and the two pairs were a very old set I had bought - factory seconds from some mediocre brand. That's what I get, though usually I recall seconds having minor blemishes rather than a run in the same place. It's possible I snagged them at the same place on a ragged toenail or floorboard or something. But it's a bit suspicious that when I went with a different brand - even though sheerer hose - I had no problem.

Erica

Lauren Mitchell
03-26-2006, 11:28 PM
To stop the ruin, I use clear nail polish or hair spray.

Afterwards, when I take them off, wash them as normal, cut off the bad leg, and wait until I have another one with a bad leg. Put them both on I get an extra wearing or two out of them.

GypsyKaren
03-27-2006, 05:47 AM
I toss them immediately, and since I always keep 25,000 extra pair on hand, it's not a problem.

Karen

annekathleen
03-27-2006, 06:21 AM
Dont throw them out! They work great when waxing your cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, and jet-skis! The fine fabric of pantyhose takes out a lot of the fine swirls in the wax, and leaves a very smooth finish and shine!

Tina Dixon
03-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Chuck them right away.

sharifemme
03-27-2006, 07:29 AM
I save the ones with runs in them and cut off the affected leg of the hose. When you have two pairs of the same color and shade, you can wear one over the other so that the your legs each have one of the good parts.

Sharifemme

We all get runs, but can you live with one for a day saying I'll put on a fresh pair tomorrow.
An hour or two, go change during a coffee break or something.
Seconds, always must look your best, stop the presses and change now.
Keep it in the drawer, it'll heal itself?
Days, it was the last pair, it'll wait till I buy more.

Phyliss
03-27-2006, 07:44 AM
Not a pantyhose wearer normally but I'm in the "save it and cut off the offending leg for use with another pair of one legged pantyhose" camp.
Yep, I give the trem "cheap" a whole new meaning. Do the same thing with my stockings. If one gets a run, I save it for use with a matching one.

tammysuetv
03-27-2006, 07:59 AM
I would have to change as soon as possible. I carry a spare pair but if it was not easy to change I could wear them the rest of the day. I do love the idea about cutting the bad leg off and using 2 pairs later on.

Kathi-Anne
03-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Pantyhose also work really well for shining shoes. They give my shoes a really nice shine.

Reana
03-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Using silicone to repair pantyhose runs is almost as good as duct tape. Try nail polish.

I've never tried nail polish but would expect it works very well. Silicone does work well for me though, maybe because I have the ability to use it very sparingly. I'm sure there may be those that have such poor hand to eye coordination that silicone might not be much better than duct tape, but I'm very satisfied with the results. :straightface:

wendy
03-27-2006, 11:26 AM
i know this is wierd, but for some reason even with runs i still can't bring myself to throw away a pair of pantyhose.:D

Jill
03-27-2006, 11:43 AM
I hate runs, and if I was in public and had one, I would feel very self conscious. I throw them away and get into a new pair. I have a gazzillion pairs and almost nowhere to put them anyway. So when one gets a run, it's in the trash.

Yes I am
03-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Sometimes I'll rip my hose up a bit on purpose for a bit of a "hardcore" look, I think it's cool.

Jodi
03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
For me, it depends on where the run is. If in the foot or ankle area, I toss them. If higher up, I use clear nail polish as a run stop and keep them for wearing under pants.

BTW, an old pair of panty hose kept in the car toolbox makes for a great expedient fanbelt if it the belt should break while out on the road. Will not work to replace the serpentine belt, but will do wonders for the alternator or power steering belt.

Jodi

Leigh Davis
03-27-2006, 09:55 PM
i know this is wierd, but for some reason even with runs i still can't bring myself to throw away a pair of pantyhose.:D

I'm like you, Wendy. Maybe I think I'll find a use for them.;)

Clare
03-27-2006, 10:47 PM
The moment I realise my hose have a run, I take them off - particulary if they're a dark pair! If i'm outdoors, I go buy another pair immediatley and put them on. Otherwise I change them pretty quickly at home.

As for keeping hose with a run? Well my ex used to wear them under slacks - her reason was that the run is insignificant comfort/warmth wise and connot be seen under slacks. But for me, if they have a run, they're ruined - so they go straight into the trash!

Teddie
03-28-2006, 06:23 AM
My mother taught me, unknowing to her, to always carry a spare.

Sherrie
03-28-2006, 07:15 AM
I have to change them right away. If I dont have a spare pair with me I just remove them and toss em, and go bare leged. With me being shaven that is not a problem.