PDA

View Full Version : just a thought

Angie G
11-12-2019, 09:37 PM
If the clothing industry would push skirts for men would you rear a skirt in public I think would after all I have long hair and both ears pierced. :hugs:
Angie

CarlaWestin
11-12-2019, 10:47 PM
Yep, I'm pretty much in that camp. I really couldn't care less about men's fashion. In jeans and t-shirt man mode, I'm definitely emulating male. And it's for comfort not fashion.
And I'm pretty sure that's what is really attractive.

Pixie_94
11-13-2019, 12:17 AM
No, unless I wanted to get mulleted to a pulp.

Kimberly A.
11-13-2019, 12:42 AM
It's a possibility that I would.... Idk if this has been brought up in this forum, but there are companies who manufacture hosiery specifically for men. There's Activskin and also Comfort4Men, to name two. LOL So why not skirts for men? I mean after all, there are kilts that of course, look very similar to skirts and pretty much have the same function as a skirt, although some kilts are like "utility kilts" or something like that..... Something I've only heard of. LOL

Vikky
11-13-2019, 06:34 AM
There is a guy round our way who wears a skirt/kilt all the time. Haven?t seen him for a while but I understand he was in one of the Scottish Regiments and wore a kilt all the time and got used to it and reckons it was more comfortable than trousers. Both times I saw him he was wearing a version of a kilt, grey, with pockets on each side.
Would I? If it became more acceptable to the general public, why not?
Vikky

GretchenM
11-13-2019, 07:23 AM
I have a hiking kilt that I have worn on exercise walks in parks, but mainly on the trails in the Rockies. OMG it is such a great way to go when on a hike. Keeps one cool. But don't do it in a cactus desert or where there are a lot of mosquitoes. Reactions? Curiosity but no negative comments.

What would I do if men's skirts appeared on the racks at Target? I would look and consider. Would I buy and wear one? Depends on the conclusion after looking and considering. I am open to most anything, but whether I take to it depends on my own standards and not trends or styles in the social world. I suspect such clothing would be styled in some masculine way and would not be men's skirts in a women's style. In the West it is rare to see men wearing anything other than pants and that trend has invaded many other parts of the world where not long ago most men wore something that basically amounted to a sack with arm and head holes. So, it is instructive to sometimes look beyond the world of Western fashions and customs and see what is worn in other parts of the world.

alwayshave
11-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Angie, I have a dress kilt and a utility kilt, but don't consider them skirts.

Linda E. Woodworth
11-13-2019, 08:44 AM
This has been tried before and crashed and burned.

I remember seeing a "MovieTown News" from the 1930's showing new fashion trends. Women were shown modeling trousers. Katherine Hepburn was doing this out in Hollywood.

Meanwhile there was also some poor shmuck (getting paid of course) modeling men's skirts and other fashions. Never heard of that one again.

Nope, I don't think this is going to fly for quite some time if ever.

Would I wear one in male mode? No, ain't my thing.

Cheryl T
11-13-2019, 10:22 AM
I join with Kim.
I'm not a MIAD. I don't do this because I love the clothes, although I do love the clothes.
This is self-expression. I express the femininity that is a major part of my being and personality.

JenniferMBlack
11-13-2019, 11:30 AM
To answer the question. Sure I already do some times and have for years. And there are already mens skirts. They are called kilts. Yes all kilts are skirts but not all skirts are kilts. I have a kilt and I wear it I also wear skirts both in boy and girl models. I have not ever had any problems from poeple either way. There was some laughing and pointing before but I haven't even noticed that in the last several years.

Robertacd
11-13-2019, 11:40 AM
It depends.... Men's skirts are nothing new. Several designers have tried to sell them in the past and the Utilikilt comes to mind.

I would wear one if it was pretty.

I will not wear an ugly "man skirt" like the Utilikilt.

Stephanie47
11-13-2019, 11:55 AM
I don't consider a kilt to be a skirt. Yes, the look may be the same. However, I have not seen a man in a kilt trying to emulate a woman with all the other garb worn. I think the issue is whether or not the wearer is emulating a woman. I saw a man in a kilt as recently as this past weekend. He did not draw any attention because everyone around him only saw a "man in a kilt." Yesterday I was in a local grocery store and saw a Pacific Islander male with his wife. He was wearing an ankle length "skirt." I don't know if there is a particular name for it. I do recognize it as part of his national heritage/custom. He was not trying to emulate a woman. When my inner self beckons to emulate a woman I will wear all the garb which will identify me as a woman.

April Rose
11-13-2019, 12:10 PM
I don't care enough about men's fashion to really push the limits. I suppose that if it became so popular that EVERYONE was doing it , I would as well.

Robertacd
11-13-2019, 12:13 PM
A rose by any other name...

A kilt is a skirt with a manly name so that makes it okay for men to wear.

Tracii G
11-13-2019, 12:40 PM
If its marketed for men then I would not wear a "man skirt".
Nothing I want to wear comes from the male aisle of a store.
Why this topic keeps popping up I am not sure.
Do people think they have stumbled on to something new?
Fashion designers have tried the man skirt for as long as I can remember and the idea has never come close to being accepted by men.

Tracy Irving
11-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Yesterday I was in a local grocery store and saw a Pacific Islander male with his wife. He was wearing an ankle length "skirt." I don't know if there is a particular name for it.

Some name options could be sarong, pareo and lavalava.

LilSissyStevie
11-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Before I retired there was a big controversy at my job about the dress code being made gender neutral. I was always threatening to come to work in a skirt and heels to test their sincerity. But one of the electricians kind of beat me to it by coming to work in a utilikilt. Everybody got a laugh over it and I'm sure his manager was seething but powerless to do anything about it. Ha ha! At least until evaluation time comes around. :sad: I was close to retirement and at the top of my pay range. What could they do to me? I should have done it, but didn't. One of my minor regrets.

Alice Torn
11-13-2019, 01:26 PM
In guy mode, i might consider a kilt, but not a skirt .

- - - Updated - - -

Men from Fiji wear ankle length skirts as dress wear. i knew a man form there in my church who wore them.

Teresa
11-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Angie,
It's not a question I need to consider I wear skirts as a woman in public anyway .

As Kim remarks this question is a regular one , it is diffiicult to give an answer as we have different needs when we dress . I want the man gone so why give him a skirt ?

To me it reminds me of the time when I couldn't shave my legs and had very limited time to dress, wearing a skirt felt great but it looked dreadful in the mirrror , hairy legs , no decent heels , not a pretty sight !

Tracii G
11-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Maybe those who are in a DADT situation or in the closet have thoughts like this but to many of us we wear what we want and there is no taboo about skirts hence guy skirts are not really a 'thing'.
To the CDer it would be menswear so not crossdressing.

Kendra Sue
11-13-2019, 02:15 PM
I definitely would, once it gets warmer

Allisa
11-13-2019, 03:58 PM
I have for some time now, long before I came out when I still was a manly man and had my man card in effect. Mainly below knee and maxi length in the summer months for comfort. It took awhile to be accepted and a lot of grief on the way but eventually "that's just Al" he wears a skirt. Never anything "girly", solid colors and maybe some stripes or pattern of sorts. I never did color inside the lines.

JenniferMBlack
11-13-2019, 06:36 PM
I don't consider a kilt to be a skirt. Yes, the look may be the same. However, I have not seen a man in a kilt trying to emulate a woman with all the other garb worn. I think the issue is whether or not the wearer is emulating a woman. I saw a man in a kilt as recently as this past weekend. He did not draw any attention because everyone around him only saw a "man in a kilt."

How is it not a skirt? Because it's made for a man? There are female kilts too. They are useally shorter and cuter but still a kilt. It is a style of skirt like pleated or skater. A kilt is flat in the front and pleated in the back and to be a true kilt it wraps around and fastend with a buckle.

kayla_bayarea
11-13-2019, 07:56 PM
How is it not a skirt? Because it's made for a man? There are female kilts too. They are useally shorter and cuter but still a kilt. It is a style of skirt like pleated or skater. A kilt is flat in the front and pleated in the back and to be a true kilt it wraps around and fastend with a buckle.

I agree. Even though the public associates the term “skirt” with female clothing it should instead be associated with a certain shape. The bottom part of a gi (martial arts jacket) is termed a skirt. That’s not a nickname, that’s the actual specification.

Kelli_cd
11-13-2019, 08:01 PM
I'm essentially in the closet. With my wife it's DADT.

I would love the opportunity to wear a skirt and blouse, but they would have to made for women.

JenniferMBlack
11-13-2019, 10:32 PM
I agree. Even though the public associates the term “skirt” with female clothing it should instead be associated with a certain shape. The bottom part of a gi (martial arts jacket) is termed a skirt. That’s not a nickname, that’s the actual specification.

Yes skirt is used for many things other then a womens garment. The part under a mobile home is a skirt as well. I didn't know the gi was considered a skirt but makes sense.

candykowal
11-16-2019, 12:41 AM
For me, clothes define the femme inside me.... so I would have to say if accepting feminine skirts for men were sold, I would wear it.
It wouldn't be made of macho itchy wool, or course fabrics...or macho prints, but of soft pastel colors, flowery prints, soft and sheer or shiny fabrics.
Maybe something sheer to silhouette a french cut satin lace rumba pantie.
Oh the day we all dreamed of, would come front and center, were any gender is accepted as desirable to be, look, and act in a feminine way.
I think that day has arrived, for the male who can present themselves as a female...I see a lot of members who can work it.
So why actually do we need gender specified clothes anyway? Define clothes as the are, for work, play, fashion, and location....removing the gender labels on clothes are the ultimate wish here!
Define your self and dress in what makes you feel wonderful!

jacques
11-16-2019, 11:18 AM
hello Angie,
if men wore skirts in public it would make under-dressing a whole lot easier !
luv J

sometimes_miss
11-17-2019, 09:56 AM
The whole point of crossdressing for me, it that it helps me feel as if I am female. I don't see female fashions becoming common attire for men any time soon.

LingerieLuvr
11-17-2019, 11:37 PM
If the clothing industry would push skirts for men would you rear a skirt in public I think would after all I have long hair and both ears pierced. :hugs:
Angie

Strictly responding to the question...Absolutely! Of course the clothing industry would be pushing skirts for men only for their own self interests....that being profit via a new market segment.

I wear skirts for a variety of reasons, part for comfort, part for the enjoyment of wearing the feminine attire, plus I like the styles and color choices. But I do sometimes choose skirts that are functional as well as aesthetically pleasing. I have a couple cargo skirts, that if you aren't paying close attention, they look like regular cargo shorts. They are extremely utilitarian.... in the mornings when I'm leaving the house to go to my office, I have pockets for my phone and keys, while I carry my backpack, coffee and my "guy clothes" to my truck. I also have a great tiered midi skirt that has pockets too, and it is infinitely more comfortable than the cargo skirts. My favorite skirts, in general, are fold over skirts, again because they are so comfortable, but I wish they had pockets.

All these skirt preferences aside, I find it hard to envision the clothing industry endorsing a movement toward "men's skirts" that utilize comfortable materials, and broad color palettes. Machismo won't allow it. And frankly, I need my shorts and pants to do work that would not be possible in a skirt.

In a perfect world, I would wear whatever I choose, whenever I choose it, whether it's a skirt or dress to work or to dinner, and then jeans or pants when facing an environment that dictates different clothing. We all do it now, to an extent, we just do it divided down gender/societal norms. If we dressed according to tasks at hand, events we attend or settings we find ourselves recreating in, then I think the gender divisions we see would dissolve quickly.