PDA

View Full Version : Dressing Up for a Party with the Leading Lady

Amelia13
02-06-2020, 10:00 PM
A good friend of mine has her birthday in Februrary, and every year it's a costume party with a differen theme. I'm known for my costumes and general ridiculousness, and I think she knows that I have an interest in crossdressing... at least enough of an inkling that she pointed out that another friend of hers came in drag last year and noted that I would have a "hard time beating that" costume.

So, this year her theme is musicals... and, of course, she wants me to dress up as someone from Rocky Horror... we've discussed Dr. Frankenfurter, Columbia, or even Janet... I'm leaning towards Janet since I've already got the wig for it... and, out of some irony I feel that Dr. Frankenfurter's costume is too revealing for someone of my size and stature... yes, I think crossdressing is the more conservative costume in this case (lol).

I'm excited, my friend is excited... and then there's my wife. I suggested she be Brad (Janet's BF), and she doesn't think it sounds cute to gender swap like that. She'd rather be the girl.

I run into this issue every so often with her. She would prefer to "be the cute one," and doesn't want me taking on that role crossdressing. While I know she's tolerant of me crossdressing, in public, she prefers to be the "leading lady," and I can tell it's in part due to how she really feels about me dressing.

So that makes me sad. I want her to be excited to dress with me... not drug along, or refusing to participate. How have y'all dealt with this? Anyone here experienced some success getitng your SO to "come over" to your side on this issue?

OCCarly
02-06-2020, 10:27 PM
You go as Magenta. Your wife goes as Columbia. Problem solved...unless you want to be Riff Raff...

char GG
02-07-2020, 04:52 AM
I can understand her wanted to dress like a girl. She is a girl!!

When I go to a costume party with my SO, we both dress like girls. There is no reason I would want to dress like the guy. It's all personal choice. She wants to dress "with you" and wants to "participate", so there is no reason you both can't dress as the same character. No reason you both can't be "the cute ones". No reason that you should be sad. It's not really a reflection on how she feels about your dressing in general.

Please try not to find problems where there may not be a problem.

Have fun at the party.

Micki_Finn
02-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Rocky horror is a little on the nose, don’t you think? How about She goes as Gypsy Rose Lee and you can go as Momma Rose?

Asew
02-07-2020, 11:22 AM
My wife and I had a similar problem when discussing Halloween costumes. She always wants to do a family costume and she would prefer I do the male role to go with her female role. Part of it is she prefers me in male clothes, and other part is most couple costume ideas are binary with a male role and female role and she has priority over the female role obviously.

Cheryl T
02-07-2020, 11:31 AM
If the theme is Musicals and you wife wants to "be the girl" let her be Janet.
You could always do "Hello Dolly" or "Caberet" or something.

docrobbysherry
02-07-2020, 12:56 PM
My very 1st outing locally was to a Rocky Horror production. Why go as boring Janet when u can go as either of these?:daydreaming:

I'm in the middle with 2 cast members.

Amelia13
02-08-2020, 01:31 AM
My wife and I had a similar problem when discussing Halloween costumes. She always wants to do a family costume and she would prefer I do the male role to go with her female role. Part of it is she prefers me in male clothes, and other part is most couple costume ideas are binary with a male role and female role and she has priority over the female role obviously.

Yes. I think a lot of it is my wife prefers me in male clothes and wants to play the female role. I totally get that, too! Glad you can relate.

- - - Updated - - -

If the theme is Musicals and you wife wants to "be the girl" let her be Janet.
You could always do "Hello Dolly" or "Caberet" or something.

Good point! There's a lot to choose from with the theme... I guess I shouldn't limit my options... Hmmm...

Sometimes Steffi
02-08-2020, 09:22 AM
how about Xena and Gabrielle?

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/xena-reboot-might-finally-make-warrior-princess-relationship-gabrielle-official

You can actually decide who's the pretty one.

Or Thelma and Louise, although the pretty one is pretty obvious.

Lynn Sealy
02-16-2020, 08:32 AM
Agree with everyone here. Find a pair of costumes that make both of you happy. Let her dress as she wants. Why should you have all the fun.

Magenta and Columbia would be fun. Actually, I want my wife and I to be them this Halloween.

My wife and I married on Halloween. For our 20th anniversary, we hosted a costume party. I dressed as a bbride. Un unbeknownst to me, my wife planned to dress as Columbia with a tux coat and a top hat fascinator. When I walked downstairs, she was the first person I saw. My immediate thought was "wow, she looks so hot!"

Please share pictures.