PDA

View Full Version : The etymology of names

Emma_Forbes
03-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi all,

Just intrigued by our names and thought I'd post a poll about the nature of your name.

The question is "Is your femme name:

1. The female version of your male name
2. Your male name spelled differently
3. An androgynous name, could be either male or female but isn't related to yours
4. A name from some other source

Also, I'd be very interested to know the most common names on the site, without having to trawl through 3500 names. Any idea mods?

Em

Tina Dixon
03-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Lot of name things going on here, Tim to Tina.

Jennaie
03-29-2006, 11:59 AM
This is so funny. Most of my online names are pulled out of the air due to that fact that you can try to become a member with the name you want but every name you try is already taken. I hate having to name myself something like Jenny2467. LOL

So I just keep trying till I get a name I can live with without having to add numbers to the end of it. That is how Jennaie became Jennaie!

Jennaie :be:

Julie Avery
03-29-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm in the "pulled out of thin air" category. I just picked names I thought sounded nice. Not sure how I could get "Doug" into a femme form ;)

Jennaie
03-29-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm in the "pulled out of thin air" category. I just picked names I thought sounded nice. Not sure how I could get "Doug" into a femme form ;)

Well Julie:

If you ever want to swap, (grin). Julie is the name I go by En-femme.
You know Julie, Jennaie is really a very pretty name and I have already recieved several private messages from members who absolutely adore my name.

Isn't working is it? Didn't think so.

Jennaie :be:

Tamara Croft
03-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Also, I'd be very interested to know the most common names on the site, without having to trawl through 3500 names. Any idea mods?I've just trawled through all the member list, but it isn't totally accurate as members that haven't posted aren't listed. So, an approximate list as follows of popular names: -

Alison - 17
Amanda - 15
Amy - 12
Ashley - 13
Brenda - 17
Cath - cathy - 13
CD (then name) 41
Chris - Christy - 27
Cindi - Cindy - 12
Dani - Danielle - 19
Deb - Deborah - 14
Dina - dianne - 21
Donna - 18
Heather - 13
Jame - Jamie - 32
Jennifer - 21
Jenny - 22
Joan - Joanne - 18
Julia/Julie - Juliette - 27
Karen - Karren - 20
Kat - Kathy - 29
Katie - 17
Kells - Kelly - 18
Kim - Kimmy - 18
Laura - Laurie - 25
Linda - Lindsay - 19
Lisa - 33
Maria - Marie - 13
Melissa - 21
Michelle - 32
Paul - Pauly - 21
Rachel - 36
Sam - Samantha - 22
Sara - Sarah - 33
Sissy (name here) 15
Stacey - Stacy - 19
Steph - Stephanie - 26
Sue - Suzy - 37
Tamara - Tammy - 15

The most common used first letter for a name are: -

C - 10 - Pages in the member list
J - 12 - Pages in the member list
M - 10 - Pages in the member list
S - 15 - Pages in the member list

Sheesh..... the things I do :lol:

Josi
03-29-2006, 12:44 PM
I actually liked the name Josephine .. but shortened it to Josi because I thought it sounded "friendlier" ..mm

Shelly Preston
03-29-2006, 12:51 PM
My Wife picked my name from about 20 I pre selected

francesnonyx
03-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Frances is the female spelling of my given name...Lorraine is derived vaguely from my actual middle name...Onyx says my female side is very strong.

Teresa Amina
03-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Out of the air. Wanted to match my everyday initials; always liked Teresa, Amina a lucky encounter with a list of names Googled from the ether

EricaCD
03-29-2006, 01:04 PM
When I started CDing I went by "Tina", but that name was a little too fem for me and also seemed quite common among CDs (no offense meant to the Tinas here!). I went to school with an Erica and always liked the name. When I switched to it, I didn't think about the fact that most people would just assume my given name was Eric.

Gail Stauffer
03-29-2006, 01:10 PM
well for me, I wanted a feminine name that sounded pretty, and sounds good together for me, so I chose a totally different name from my real name. and I have always thought that Gail was a pretty name, so that's when gail was born, I just threw together a couple middle neames that sounded pretty to me too, so this is my whole feminine name, Gail Michelle kellyanne Stauffer

Karen Edmonton
03-29-2006, 01:18 PM
I was given my name by a female friend who at the first she saw me dressed screamed , " OMG !!!!! You look just like my sister Karen !" . So that's what I was christened from then on .

Deborah
03-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Deb - Deborah - 14

14 variants of Deborah? Geez sounds like it's time to change my name again. ;)

allisonrn06
03-29-2006, 02:04 PM
I picked this one because I met someone with the name and and associated it with a pretty woman and so found it to be a pretty name.

JoAnnDallas
03-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Mine comes from my mother. I once asked her what I would have been named if I had been born a girl.

Megan72
03-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Saw mine somwhere and thought it was a great name, but definatly in the "thin air" catagory.

Daphne Jane
03-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Daphne is who I am Donald is my birth name my wife had named me just for what I look like as a girl but I noticed my name didnt make the list :(

Emma_Forbes
03-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Thank you Tamara,

Interesting that there is virtually no correspondence between the most popular femme names and the most popular baby names in either the US or UK. The only name in the entire list that is in the official lists is Katie (10 in the UK).

Interesting it may be but, on reflection, not surprising.

Em

Isabel1970
03-29-2006, 04:37 PM
My name came from Isabel Lang, my favourite weathergirl on the BBC. She has red hair too, only she's prettier than me.

Maybe most t-girls take their name from the real woman they admire.

Ellie
03-29-2006, 04:57 PM
My guy name differs from it's girl version by only one letter and so it didn't interest me.

The name I now use (Ellie) came from an inside joke between my SO and I.

I think my SO likes it better then the others I was thinking of because she participated in its creation.

Janelle Young
03-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I took my name for two reasons. First I like the name. Second was it starts with the first letter of my given middle name.

elizabeth nicole
03-29-2006, 05:57 PM
mine is the name i was to have if i had been a girl also so i felt it was only fair to use it.my daughter loved it so much she named my grand daughter it also..kind of a family name i think .:D

Keely
03-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Looks like I'm in the majority so far ... a competely different name.

Phyliss
03-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Mine is the Fem version of my real first name. Philip Phyliss. Of course there are quite a few different ways to spell it. I don't know why I chose this one, but there it is.

bredalee25
03-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Actually my name is what i would have been named if i had been born female my mom told me this. The only part I made up was Luv

Maria2004
03-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Maybe most t-girls take their name from the real woman they admire.

I don't know about "most" but it does apply to me. It was a dark and stormy night, still deep in the closet, I had stumbled upon an internet meet-up profile of another CD that was local and simply looking for friendship instead of sex (finally) and that had a snail mail address. I decided to try and correspond with this person and realized I hadn't given any thought to a female name. I took this decision quite seriously and it took me several days of thought and soul searching to choose a name that I could feel was this new part of me, one that I hopefully would never change.

My 1st choices were, Mary, Catherine, and Alexandra, the names of Queens, women of influence and history....but.... I felt I looked latina in my mind, and I love latina women, Italian, Spanish, Mexican etc. "Maria" came to mind. I recalled a young girl, when I was in 1st grade in Key West Fla. I've never forgotten her, over 40 years later. This ancient "memory" is an "impression" of a very tall girl, beautiful black hair pulled back with ringlets and a tail, deep brown eyes, always dressed different then the other girls, more mature, but the one instance that burns brightest in this recollection was the first time I asked her her name, she sort of looked down at me, like a Queen to a peasent and said with arrogant pride, "My name is Maria Elaina!" It was just that one instance, as the school year progressed she was quite friendly, and always impressed me, and I never saw her again after that.

So I chose "Maria" and for my last name I choose "Andres" which is spanish for "Andrew" which is my middle name. I love my name and have no intention or desire to change it.

MaylinJane
03-29-2006, 08:47 PM
My real name is Michael, (which BTW is supposedly the second most common name in the world next to Mohammad), anyway I was damned if I was going to be a Michelle. I went to one of those baby name sites and made a list of names I liked (all begining with "M") then I used numberology to narrow the list down to about 6 names, I then gave the list to my wife and asked her to pick one out for me. She chose Maylin, which is native american (I'm actually 1/4) for waterfall. Jane is just the female version of John, my middle name.

May

sue_donim
03-29-2006, 11:22 PM
My name bears no resemblance to my male neither is it androgenous.

During the 70's me and some mates were getting a band together. We were a kinda glam rock outfit a bit like the sweet, none of the other members knew of my crossdressing back then. someone said we should all have stage names I said you mean like a pseudonym and we fell about laughing it kind of stuck from then on.

Sue_donim :)

Marlena Dahlstrom
03-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Interesting that there is virtually no correspondence between the most popular femme names and the most popular baby names in either the US or UK.

Well there's probably a greater resemblance to baby names that were popular several decades ago (which would be the names that we encountered most among our age cohorts, or when we considered names for our children).

Checking the interactive NameVoyager (http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html) might show some patterns.

mirage2b
03-30-2006, 02:24 AM
I am real, but what am I really? Love to keep people guessing!

Ms Alison Janes
03-30-2006, 04:15 AM
Both of my names are ones that have been used in the family in the past.

GypsyKaren
03-30-2006, 06:10 AM
I woke one morning 40 years ago and knew my name would be Karen from that day on. It has nothing to do with my guy name, which I've always hated, I prefer Gypsy at work and such.

Karen

Rachel Ann
04-10-2006, 02:21 AM
My girl told me her name. About 30 years ago, when I became aware that she exists, I went looking for her in a deep hypnotic trance. She came to me and told me that her name was "Racha-El" (this is the Hebrew / Arabic form).

Since I live in America I use the American form, Rachel. There are so many Rachels that I needed a second name so I took my sister's name, Ann. (I love her fiercely, but she doesn't know.) However, there are also a lot of Rachel Anns so I took a surname as well - Compton, a family name from my mother's side.

Rachel Ann Compton xxx

RachelDenise
04-10-2006, 04:33 AM
I'm a number 4. 36 Rachels??? Crap, I'll have to continuw with the middle name for uniqueness.

Emma_Forbes
04-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Thank you to all those respondents. Makes for some very interesting reading.

I'm thinking of changing my name as I've moved on and it was really just a name plucked out of thin air. Now I want something more personal. Watch this space....

Em

Wombat
04-10-2006, 07:43 AM
For years, I used a feminised version of my blokey name and felt quite comfortable with that. Now, I don't see two different people, don't see myself as a woman in one mode or a bloke in the other. It's all just me and there's one name that covers the lot. If, however, I find I need a femme name, I'll chose one without hesitation.

So why wombat? No, NOT the old 'eats, roots and leaves' joke (which is a play on lousy grammar and ockerism, both of which are abhorrent to me - as is my lousy spelling).

Um, wombat.
They're cute and cuddly ... to look at. Like me sadly.
They are their own critter and take no shite from anyone ... more happily like me.
But, they can be really grumpy and bite badly. Well, I identify with the first (on blokey forums, I usually have the tag 'grumpy old bugga' under my avatar), but I very rarely bite these days.

Besides, they wouldn't let me on this site without some sort of tag - Perhaps I should have tried anonymous (or my favourite variation on that - 'anymouse').

Dat's me. Da Wombat. No, my avatar isn't a picture of me.

Wombat

Annesah
04-10-2006, 01:02 PM
I took mine in homage to the lovely, loving, careing and nuturing woman whom I was blessed to be cared for during pre-school. She actively tutored my fem. I was the daughter she wanted but would never have. It worked!
Thank you sooo much for the gift! God bless you Anne. I miss you.

Your loveing daughter, Annesah

psdibe
04-10-2006, 08:13 PM
I have been using athe nick name I was given when I was a childbeing a jr they called me PeeDee. I have been think of picking Deborah as a name and after this tread I think that is the one. Thanks to all you ladies for making this easier.
PD is now Deborah or Deb, anyway another step to self exceptance and being more comfortable with my self. I like the sound of Deborah.
Thanks all
Hug Deborah:) :) :happy: ;)

Cherry Lynn
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
My name is Danielle Marie which is a variation of the name of the most important woman in my life, my wife. Her initials are DM also and if I order items thru the mail and our daughter gets the mail she thinks the mail order company misspelled my wife's name. I also adore my wife's name and the name Danielle was suggested by her for these reasons.