PDA

View Full Version : What is your decade style? Me? 1950s

cdkateinboston
05-04-2020, 08:30 AM
I was curious, for some of us who missed puberty as a girl, we dress as we would have liked as a teenager. It made me think that many of us have very distinct fashion personalities, and right now I am absolutely obsessed with the 1950's housewife style. I have been searching the companies that make 1950's dresses and have ordered a few and it made me curious, what are the others girls on here style like? Is it by decade, time in your life or particular style?

Tracii G
05-04-2020, 09:01 AM
I wear whatever is in style at the moment.
I'm TG 24/7
I suppose if you are a CD that has a fetish for a certain fashion time frame its ok.

Tracy Irving
05-04-2020, 09:26 AM
I have no sense of fashion and didnt follow any trends growing up. Today I ask myself:

1) Do I like it?

2) Do I want it?

3) Do I REALLY need it?

Not asking the third question filled my closet with quinceanera, prom and ball gowns.

Micki_Finn
05-04-2020, 09:37 AM
Not by decade... I like to be fairly fashion forward with a bit of a rebellious, punky edge.

She COUTURE, b$&@h!

Krea
05-04-2020, 09:51 AM
1) Do I like it?

2) Do I want it?

3) Do I REALLY need it?

Yes:thumbsup: and experience has taught me to add:
4) Does it actually suit me?

I don't try to emulate any particular look, just go for what i like.

MarinaTwelve200
05-04-2020, 10:00 AM
Early 1960s and early 1980s

Krisi
05-04-2020, 10:00 AM
Contemporary. 2020.

I try to imitate the sister I never had so I dress like a woman my age would dress in the present time.

bridget thronton
05-04-2020, 10:01 AM
I wear contemporary dresses that make me look good (well I think make me look good) - I do like historic costuming and have a couple Victorian and Celtic dresses (still not finding many places to wear them)

Davina Katherine
05-04-2020, 11:14 AM
I do most of my shopping at thrift stores, so of course not cutting edge fashion.

But the other night as my wife and I are watching Grease, Sandy (before the transformation) appears in a cute pink outfit, and OMG it's just like 70% of my collection!

Judy-Somthing
05-04-2020, 11:33 AM
I feel I love the styles of the 50s and 60s due to all the dresses and clothes I first cross-dressed with were from that era.
There was a treasure trove of women's clothes in the attic of the house I grew up in.

I guess you could say I spent way to much time in the attic for some reason!

Stephanie47
05-04-2020, 11:35 AM
I've found certain styles stand the test of time. The only thing that really changes for me is the length of the dress at the knees. As a senior I would not wear a mini dress. I have never purged or cleaned out my wardrobe. I still have some really nice dresses I bought in the 1980's. I still see current dresses that are the same in style and fabric. I get a good sense of current styles and fashion by just watching young women/middle age women on television. I see a lot of floral dresses which have been one of my favorites for many years.

docrobbysherry
05-04-2020, 11:44 AM
Sherry is ageless and timeless!:heehee:
I copy every fem look I see!:daydreaming:

Someone mention 1950's?:battingeyelashes:

Robertacd
05-04-2020, 12:11 PM
I try to stay current, as nothing screams "man in a dress" louder than wearing something woefully out of style.

Lana Mae
05-04-2020, 12:17 PM
I wear what I like in the various catalogs or when out shopping(I miss it so much!)! I guess that would be current styles! According to the compliments I get from FAB women, I guess I do alright! Hugs Lana Mae

AngelaYVR
05-04-2020, 12:30 PM
I love classic styles from the 40/50s. It’s a period that today makes many women weak at the knees when looking at the clothes, it has nothing to do with “fetish” (why do people have to try and run others down?) and has everything to do with how elegant the lines and tailoring were. I call my look modern retro as it doesn’t look out of place today and it certainly attracts a lot of compliments.

SherriePall
05-04-2020, 01:11 PM
I have tried to stay up-to-date fashion-wise by shopping at reasonably priced women's clothing stores. However, that has changed rapidly in the last year or so as some of my favorites have closed their local retail outlets and then consequently closed all their retail outlets and gone online only. Too bad for them! Anyhow, I do drool over some of the styles from the 40's and 50's as seen on television, the movies, or magazines. I think I would look better in some of them.

susan54
05-04-2020, 01:21 PM
I have had a colour and style consultation and it categorised me as a Classic. I love classic clothes anyway and they change only slightly over time. I have 50s dresses because they are fun but I have only worn them in public for things like going out for dinner in a country house hotel (and I realised I was going to stand out). I started my wardrobe in the 1980s when the styles were awful. Even the classic clothes from that era are unwearable now due to the shoulder pads - almost everything from that era is long gone.

Jenny22
05-04-2020, 03:34 PM
I love the 40s and 50s styles, and I remember them well. I have two dresses, 50s style rockabilly polkadot types I occasionally wear around the house for fun and mirror looks, with 2 underlying petticoats that make the dresses' skirts billow out, and I love that.

Asew
05-04-2020, 04:47 PM
Anything 90s or after and would say I am 90s skater wannabe.

BarbDriscoll
05-04-2020, 04:57 PM
‘50s is what I was imprinted with growing up, but I am also attracted to ‘40s styles too. But I’m no purist. I’ll buy pretty much anything that I find attractive.

Vickie_CDTV
05-04-2020, 07:00 PM
1940s, 1950s and 1980s, especially the 1980s. I love the classy, ladylike fashions of the 1980s, which is what the fashionable adult women wore when I was growing up. (I even love the big shoulder pads!)

TheHiddenMe
05-04-2020, 07:46 PM
I will try on anything. It's fun to play imagine if.

My rule of thumb is how much will I kick myself if I don't buy it??? Then I try to remind myself how many things I've bought I've haven't yet worn out. I tell the SAs I have more clothes than places to wear them. But if it says "buy me" and the price is reasonable I bite the bullet and buy it. But I generally restrict myself to other things I would wear out (thus no wedding dresses, bridesmaids dresses, etc).

LydiaL
05-04-2020, 08:09 PM
With stay-at-home, I have been watching several old television westerns on satellite TV. Those were series that had aired in the 1950s and 1960s. I am enamored by the ladies fashions depicted from the 1870s to 1890s in those programs. The prettiest women on The Wild Wild West program, IMO.

But, such skinny waists. Their corsets must have been pure torture!

michelleddg
05-04-2020, 08:33 PM
I'm current! Got a lot of help last year from my Macy's personal style consultant. Still wear nylons, though, both as my nod to the 50's and because it's the CDers secret handshake. Hugs, Michelle

TracyT
05-04-2020, 08:42 PM
" for some of us who missed puberty as a girl, we dress as we would have liked as a teenager." That is hilarious. My ex-wife used to say I dress like an off-duty cheerleader from 1986. There's a lot of truth to that. :o

Jean 103
05-05-2020, 01:32 AM
I think of it as I have grown up all over again over the last few years.

My style is somewhat current.

I like the 50s style. It just doesn't work for me.

I have a couple friends (GGs) that are totally into the 50s. They wear it full time, and it works for them.

Diane Smith
05-05-2020, 03:56 AM
I wear a retro foundation (heels, corset and gartered stockings, always), but my outer clothes range from the '80s to the present, with just an occasional nod to the fashions of the early '60s (think Jackie Kennedy or Audrey Hepburn). To be honest, I don't think much about the vintage of a garment when deciding what to wear for each event, but just pick something that looks good on me and matches the weather and venue.

- Diane

Kay J
05-05-2020, 06:20 AM
The 50s and 60s for me love the June Cleaver look!!!

MsEva
05-05-2020, 12:46 PM
I have tried to stay up-to-date fashion-wise by shopping at reasonably priced women's clothing stores. However, that has changed rapidly in the last year or so as some of my favorites have closed their local retail outlets and then consequently closed all their retail outlets and gone online only. Too bad for them! Anyhow, I do drool over some of the styles from the 40's and 50's as seen on television, the movies, or magazines. I think I would look better in some of them.

I am with my sister Sherrie, the fashions of the 40s and 50s are lovely. My wife and I love to watch TCM movies during the quarantine and just love seeing them. I would love to try them on. I do have a new bra that is sort of retro. Very pointy and bullet shaped. Looks good with a few of my looks but sort of out of date. Durn.

alwayshave
05-05-2020, 09:16 PM
Definitely 50s and 60s.

Vintage4sarah
05-06-2020, 05:34 AM
Diane, I find that I totally agree with your statement. I also adore vintage foundations while others see Sarah as classy mature woman who tries to keep to trends. Of course, there is that sprinkling of nostalgia in my dress, but under it all, I satisfy my desire to hug my body with vintage hosiery and firm undergarments.

NancySue
05-06-2020, 09:13 AM
I?m a 60s, 70s girl...conservative, simple, classic styles. Skirts, blouses, dresses, hose (for sure).

April Rose
05-06-2020, 09:20 AM
I'm usually contemporary, but I do have 2 prairie petticoats that I will wear on rare occasions, just for fun.

countrygirl
05-06-2020, 09:34 PM
I enjoy the 1940s grandma look.

Ozark
05-06-2020, 11:22 PM
I'm an Iowa farm wife type of guy.... chic jeans, casual element blouse, vanity fair lace nouveau. Love it.

BrendaPDX
05-08-2020, 08:25 AM
I like everything femme from the 50's on out. I am even getting used to flats, skinny jeans, and yoga pants (okay not really on the yoga pants).

Angie G
05-08-2020, 11:44 AM
I don't go out dressed so its whatever I want on any given day. :hugs:
Angie

Helen_Highwater
05-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Next, Debenhams and M&S. Next is the more up-to-date but aimed at the 18 and over market as against many of the other High St retailers who go for the teens. Debenhams and M&S target the 30 something onward. They both "tip a nod" to the styles of the last fifty years but in a more toned down, less frilly way. So I guess I'm a broad stokes sorta gurl.

Aunt Kelly
05-08-2020, 10:02 PM
I do love the retro 50s and 60s fashion, but at my age, that would mean looking more like Mrs. Drysdale than June Cleaver. So I'll stick to the "contemporary eccentric old aunt" look.😊

Audrey34
05-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Some of my dresses are pretty retro looking (thank you, ModCloth.com, lol). One of my favorites is a red shirtdress that looks like it came from the 1940s! :)

Sara Jessica
05-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Someone I respect and love dearly referred to my style as a "La Jolla Haus Frau". I'll go with that!

Ressie
05-09-2020, 11:34 AM
I like fashions from decades ago but I don't collect or wear them. I try to stay with contemporary fashions when going out. At home I may dress a few different ways - including some that are fetishistic to me, probably not to others so much.

Clothes of different eras would be fun for special events or parties.

Maria 60
05-10-2020, 06:22 AM
As much as everyone else I try to keep up to date but I do have some late 70s to 90s style dresses I just can't part with. I love those longer dresses with that smooth fabric that women would wear slips to keep them smooth looking. Women would wear pantyhose all the time, under jeans and work pants. I don't even want to talk about the slip, I so much miss women wearing slips. Just seeing those few inches of lace was like seeing something forbidden.

BLUE ORCHID
05-10-2020, 05:45 PM
Hi Kate :hugs:, The 50s' & the 60s' are my absolutely my favorite, I guess being 77 may have something to do with it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Orchid ..0:daydreaming:0..

lingerieLiz
05-12-2020, 10:26 PM
I wear current clothes, but do have some keep sake outfits or lingerie. I grew up wearing 50s clothes which were what the girls wore. Did the poodle skirt and bobby socks. I liked the 60s more especially the early 60s. Wearing nylons long leg panty girdles. Those were the days when you wore a lace bra and slip with lace bodice under a sheer blouse. Heels were not that tall. It was fun to drive a car and pull your dress up so your lace hem on your slip showed. One of my dresses was a light yellow June Cleaver style. You could see the slip under it. Went to a couple dances with friends.

I do have a 1920s beaded flapper dress. It was given to me by a neighbor who had only worn it once. Wish I could get down to the right size for it.

Elaina
05-13-2020, 06:46 AM
I would also go for the 1950's look...I love Grace Kelly's ultra-feminine, yet elegant and poised appearance.

At the same time, though, I really liked the fashion trend that was popularized in my local area during the early 2000's, when all the young ladies were wearing ruffled skirts.

There's so many wonderful fashion trends available over the years that it is hard to choose!

Lea
05-13-2020, 06:50 AM
I enjoy current fashions but prefer more business attire. I do have leggings and blue jeans but prefer the dresses and skirts.
I would like to wear different era clothing for a day to see what it was like. Victorian era, 1920's, 1950's etc.

*ROXY*
05-13-2020, 08:15 AM
I tend to stick to Bodycon dresses (not from a particular era) because I have no hips and 50's swing dresses look awful. I was a teenager in the eighties but nothing from that time makes me want to try it now lol. As most have said dress for what suits your figure and you can't go far wrong.

AllieBellema
05-16-2020, 08:22 AM
I'm mostly for the Victorian era myself, but I do also like the 50s style poodle skirts. Anything with a petticoat works well with me!

Dawn P
05-16-2020, 12:10 PM
I like to watch the old TV shows from Burns & Allen to Threes Company and Mork & Mindy In the older shows I like what the younger girls wear for example; Ronnie Burns girlfriends and Betty from fathers knows best and i like Mindy's style on Mork and Mindy. I like the older style baby dolls with full panties like Chrissy wears on e company and chiffon short and long nightgowns from those days.

For going out in today's world, What is in style and what looks good on me.