PDA

View Full Version : Ooops!

Deborah_UK
03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
I went on a course at work today, and part of the initial booking in was an equal opportunities questionnaire, a question on it (and I'm paraphrasing now) was are you Transexual, Transgender or Intersex. If none of those you left the section blank. The questionnaire is confidential (or supposedly so), so I ticked the 'Transgender' box.

The form also included job title, which I'd completed without thinking.

However, after sealing the envelope and handing it in - I realised that I was the only one of that grade on the course, so could be identified immediately.

Oh well, this is a test of the confidentiality at work.

Shelly Preston
03-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi Debroah

I do hope the confidentially works.
If not you can at least ask why it did not work
I think your very brave for being so honest.

Wendy me
03-30-2006, 02:13 PM
well thay asked right???

Kimberley
03-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi Deborah

They obviously have a sense of diversity so I doubt you have any worry about being outed. It is even questionable if they try to put it together. Hopefully it all works out.

Kimberley.

Carole
03-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Nothing is that confidential anymore Deborah; even your ballot paper has a number on it which corralates with your electoral roll number so they even know how you voted. They can't sack you or give you a hard time for being transgendered cos it's against the law now.
Keep smiling.

Deborah_UK
03-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Following on from today's course - I have a diversity course next week, it'll be interesting to see whether transgender issues will be covered on the course, and undoubtedly we will have a similar questionnaire to complete.

Its funny - I want to be "out" but all my years of hiding away still makes me very wary and apprehensive.

grouser
03-30-2006, 02:40 PM
If they try and pin you down about it, you could just claim you marked it to see if the confidentiality statement was "True or False". That is how I would handle it if there were tough repercussions. Good Luck!

stephanie100
03-30-2006, 02:47 PM
I wouldnt worry too much if people start sniggering in your presance then what confidentuality clause has failed. I hope your firm is broadminded.

Georgette
03-30-2006, 02:50 PM
I wouldnt worry too much if people start sniggering in your presance then what confidentuality clause has failed. I hope your firm is broadminded.
You said it all in your last sentence: BROADMINDED:cheeky:

carol ann
03-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Some years ago I had an advisor's role to a major government regulatory body in the UK. In the middle of a four year term one of the appointed members 'changed sex'. He simply informed the chairperson (who was a woman) that in future he wished to be known Ms Betty......(not the real name) as he was in the process of preparing for a full time role as a female.

The Chair simply accepted it as did the members. And 'she' continued to make a valuable contribution to the workings of the body.

Ms. Donna
03-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Its funny - I want to be "out" but all my years of hiding away still makes me very wary and apprehensive.

I didn't wait for the questionare. I went to HR and asked to follow the women's business casual dress code (no skirts or dresses - not really my thing) - they said yes. Who'd have thought...

Sometimes, all one needs to do is ask...

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Deborah
03-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Way to go Deborah. Good luck with that in which ever way you want it to go. :D

claire angie
03-30-2006, 03:52 PM
well deborah
i would say good for you and also what can they do i work in the transport sector and at a firm i used to work at a friend changed sex and to be honest it wasn't very nice for them ,and i tryed to defend her i was then called gay and no one would talk to me, but that was now six years ago and now i work else where, still in transport but i would never tell them that i'm a crossdresser, my life would go down hill very quickly at work,wether or not if it's illeagle to harass you or not.as my job is still very much in the male domain
but very brave of you none the less good luck.

claire :doll: