PDA

View Full Version : " May I help you with that ? "

Teresa
07-06-2020, 07:56 PM
My lawns aren't large but because I live on a hillside they are on four levels which means I have to lift my lawn mower from one level to the next , the one I use at the moment is really too big and heavy but it does a good job so I put up with the lifting . Today the drive to the roller assembly sheared , I tried to find spares but it's now too old . I did a search on the internet and discovered my local out of town store stock a range at discount prices so I gave them a call to check if the model I'd chosen was in stock , it was and as I needed to finish cutting my lawns I set off to buy the new one . The salesman was the same person I spoke to on the phone , OK he did do a double take because of what I sounded like on the phone but he was so pleasant and we were soon chatting about the various points on the mower . I then said I'd better pick it up to see how heavy it is compared with my old one , I slipped my handbag off my shoulder and nearly handed it to him to hold but thought better of it , without further thought I picked the mower up , he rushed forward saying , " may I help you with that ? " much to the surprise of him and other customers I walked a few steps checking out it's weight . I then joked with him saying I don't need a gym to workout as I had to do that twice a week , so then he pulled my leg by asking if I lift it above my head ? So I replied , I tried that but I end up with oil and grass cuttings in my hair !

I couldn't be bothered to change when I returned home so I unpacked it and tried it on my unfinished lawn , I did catch my neighbour giving me a smile over the fence when he saw me in a skirt and wedges cutting my lawn .

docrobbysherry
07-06-2020, 08:24 PM
Good on u, Teresa!:thumbsup:

I would have been put off at the double take!:brolleyes:

suchacutie
07-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Fabulous! I just love it when we shake up the stereotypes! I hope you enjoy your new mower and smile every time you use it!

Crissy 107
07-06-2020, 09:07 PM
Teresa, Thanks for another interesting real life story, you have me smiling.

Allisa
07-06-2020, 11:09 PM
It's always fun when they see a strong "woman" , their reactions are so varied it makes my day. I love it when I buy 40 or 50 lb. bags of potting/garden soil or salt for my water treatment system and I heft them to the cart and then into my truck bed ,after the first lift the "guns" show up and veins appear on my arms. Then seeing these big strong men back off with an amazed look on their faces, as this small "woman" "mans-up". Somehow I take a strange joy in these moments.

AngelaYVR
07-06-2020, 11:49 PM
Wedges? But you could mow and aerate at the same time with stilettos.

Teresa
07-07-2020, 06:00 AM
Lisa,
I always buy my potting compost in 120ltr packs , my local Homebase store usually do a better discount on the larger sizes . The problem was when I heaved the two packs onto the special low slung trolley I discovered I had one that wanted to be a crab , it wasn't easy streering it through the shop to the checkout line when also trying to keep a social distance . When I finally made it to the car a passing driver nearly ran into a line of parked cars when he did a double take noticing me picking up the packs and tossing them into the back of my Volvo estate car .

I'm not sure if I enjoy it or not but I don't have a choice .

Angela,
I missed a trick there , why didn't I think of that ?

Crissy,
I just hope my little stories help others .

Liz Jones
07-07-2020, 06:14 AM

Tried that ---its murder!

Davina Katherine
07-07-2020, 06:27 AM
I have just the opposite situation. Even in guy mode I really need the help of a "strong man" to put heavy bags in my car.

Shelly Preston
07-07-2020, 01:33 PM
Teresa

I have always found shopping for heavy items can be very interesting.

Sales assistants always assume or are trained to ask if you need help.

Playing the damsel in distress has benefits.

I have even had bystanders have rushed to my aid on some occasions.

A four level lawn would have drive me mad.

The only question is what was the neighbour thinking ?

April Rose
07-07-2020, 01:48 PM
I had to look up "estate car" . It is what we in the states call a station wagon. I have a Volvo wagon as well. From now on I will be calling it my estate car. I can be insufferable when I want to.:tongueout

JenniferR771
07-07-2020, 01:57 PM
Four level lawn--ahh--NO! Build some zig-zag switchback ramps so you can mow your lawn in a dainty way in your golden years.
Bold and fun shopping trips to your local home store. Sure--let them load the bags for you, LOL!
Avoid the muscle-man approach. Don't get dirty or sweaty. Wedges are fine--even if the neighbors are entertained.
Find an engineer to calculate suitable and stable slopes for your soil type. LOL!
Find an artist to make the whole look attractive and not industrial. And feminine, of course.
As a botanist, I suggest use flowers, shrubbery, and ornamental grasses for accents and to stabilize the soil on the slope.

EmilySmith
07-07-2020, 08:45 PM
Love your suggestions Jennifer, well thought out.

docrobbysherry
07-07-2020, 08:52 PM

I found myself doing that unintentionally in these spikes on the 4th of July, Angela!:brolleyes:314036

Teresa
07-08-2020, 04:30 AM
Shelly,
He might have been thinking , " Thank goodness it's not her short sundress ! " or then again he might have been hoping it was .

April,
Sorry about the UK English , I couldn't survive without my Volvo , it's just as good throwing my chainsaws in the back and hitching up the trailer to fetch my firewood .

Jennifer,
I have to agree about the ramps , I have been thinking how I can restructure my garden and considered how to work ramps into the design . The problem I have is there is a natural spring in the field above my property late last year and early this I had water cascading through my garden so I will also have to think about the drainage problem . The one consolation in the summer is my lawn is always green . I was hoping so much to get some structual work done this year but buying the supplies has proved a nightmare with the lockdown . I fail to see the logic of being able to shop inside the store but you can't go out in the supply yard to check items out .

Anyway lifting my mower is a good work out once or twice a week

Maid_Marion
07-08-2020, 04:54 AM
Hi Teresa,

I also have drainage issues. My yard stays green months into a drought without me having to water!

I figured early on that I can add compost or soil to raise areas and make them drain better for plants that don't like to sit in water.
I recently realized for areas that can't be raised, like sidewalks, I can lower the land around them!

I've been turning lawn into flower beds that don't need to be mowed!

Marion

Teresa
07-08-2020, 05:01 AM
Marion,
Thanks for that , maybe they should introduce a gardening section on the forum and call it " Greenfinger nails !"

BTWimRobin
07-08-2020, 05:48 AM
Hi Teresa,

What a cute story! I would definitely consider putting in switchbacks to get from one level to the next. Thanks for sharing!

Auntie
07-08-2020, 06:37 AM
Spoken like a true Vermontaineer.

Bobbi46
07-09-2020, 02:49 AM
Well at least you had a nice time buying you new machine instead of getting "turfed out" for being improperly dressed in a DIY store!!!!

BLUE ORCHID
07-09-2020, 06:14 AM
Hi Teresa :hugs:, that was a cute story, It is just Teresa being Teresa. Orchid ..O:daydreaming:O..

Teresa
07-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Blue,
I thought I might have been too boring to include all the dialogue I had with the salesman and the checkout lady but we did have a laugh , it is good just to be me .

Bobbi,
I've missed your humour thanks for that .