PDA

View Full Version : Wigs any place to see them on before buying

Sara_Marie
03-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Well still getting the courage to go out and shop for a wig. I don't just want to buy one I think looks good but fits with my face shape and age.

I just don't have the courage to try one on in the store.

Is there any virtual place on the web, anyone can recomend. I found a few beauty make overs but they cost $30 or more to vitually try on and I can only squeez out so much money at a time with out it showing up. I want to use most of it for the wig but I want the right one.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

JeanneF
03-30-2006, 06:16 PM
You won't be able to tell how a particular wig will look on you without trying it on first. Remember, it's hair...a hairstyle that looks good on one person won't neccessarily look good on someone else.

Where are you located at? It's quite likely there's a T-girl friendly store near you where you can try on wigs discreetly.

Sharon
03-30-2006, 06:29 PM
On the site below, you can post a face photo of yourself and see what style and color hair looks good on you. Then you need to go to a wig site to try to find a match.

http://www.clairol.com/default.jsp?hf=true

Christina Nicole
03-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Pickup the yellow pages and look in beauty supply. There are places where you can buy a wig at or near wholesale prices. You can get especially good deals on discontinued styles. My last wig came from such a place. I tried every style on that I liked and thought would look good. The store owner suggested a few more. She has a great eye and good taste. I ended up with a Henry Margu wig for the same price as the on-line places and I knew it was going to look good on me since I tried it before I bought it.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Tina Dixon
03-30-2006, 08:58 PM
I got mine a TG Store with many to pick from, and a sales person that was a great help to me, funny thing though, I tried about fifteen of them on and I went with the first one and thats the one you see me in my pictures, I know a lot of gals have diffrent styles and colors but that wig of mine just defines me as Tina.

Crisack
03-31-2006, 05:01 AM
I actually looked in the phone book and called the places and asked them straight up if they would help me out. Found a lady that let me try out a couple (I had a bandana on) and was pretty helpful. Of course it really helped that it was a small store buried between a bunch of others. No one else was there. I asked the sales lady if alot of men came in for wigs. Apparently there are alot that come in for non CD reasons. Either there are alot of rock bands in the area or it's a good cover lol.

lynda jane hamilton
03-31-2006, 05:18 AM
Good advice is to phone all the wig stores in your area. Ask them if they would feel comfortable helping a CD guy. Explain your wants and needs. You WILL find that almost without exception will be more than willing to help and without a stylists advice you could end up wearing a wig that does not suit you. A guy in drab fitting on wigs in not a pretty sight but it is the only way.

I have just gone through the same thing. Phoned three stores all willing to help and all used to CDers! One (the one I chose said to bring some of my favourite lipstick and a scarf to drap around my neck and this would be enough to get the femme look to see if the wig looks good. remove your tie first!

Best of luck you know you can do it!

LOL

Lyndaxx

ediekaye
03-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Check out Paula Young Wigs at paulayoung.com. I have about a dozen. They are good quality, and offer a large selection at reasonable prices (many in the $29-$39 range). You can order online and the best part is, if you don't like it you can return it for a small shipping fee.

Billijo49504
03-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Just call a wig shop in your town or the next town. Ask for a private fitting. Most have a private area. If you have a understanding SO, take her along. Other wise, the ppl at the store will try to make sure you're happy. They want you to come back.....BJ

sherri
03-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Calling ahead is a good idea, but I haven't found private appointments to be necessary if you're just trying on wigs off the shelf.

Here's my biggest problem and beef about finding wigs - I need a large cap size and the selection in that size is way too limited.

Joy Carter
03-31-2006, 10:21 PM
I called the first one in the phone book and the woman sead no and hung up. Kinda defalted my ego and I have not tried another. Took delivery on two from an online source who stated they were large sizes and when they came they were too small, Sigh. What's a CD er to do?

michelleliz
03-31-2006, 10:24 PM
you can try paulayoung.com. They have som realy nice wigs

Michelleliz

Sara_Marie
04-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks everyone. I did visit a wig shop but could not get the courage up to try it on. I don't think the lady would have minded but there was not a good discrete place to try it. I'll try again this next week if I can. Thanks for the help.
Happy shopping.

sherri
04-01-2006, 12:45 AM
I bought a Paula Young wig that I really liked, but it seems to have worn out rather quickly (hair pulls easily during combing). Those Henry Margu wigs look really nice, but a bit pricey.

Don't give up if one shop turns you down. Somebody out there wants your money!

robyn1114
04-01-2006, 01:58 AM
I've bought wigs from several different wig shops and never had a problem