PDA

View Full Version : when shopping

michelle19845
03-31-2006, 01:28 PM
when you shop in public in male mode(those that do) do you ever get questioned constantly "may i help you with something?" i had that experience today.i felt like i was being watched from all diferren't directions.

thanks,
michelle19845

allisonrn06
03-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I went shopping for a dress for my wife once at a local dress shop,and the sales lady told me their men's shop was 2 blocks up the street.I tried to explain to her what I was doing there,but she ignored me and walked away.I think she probably thought I was shopping for myself,but on this occasion I truly wasn't.

jillinla
03-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Thew clerks want to be helpful
especially at the "better" stores:
Nordstrom he on the W. Coast
-
I try to prepare for it
have a story made up
act more naive than I am

I then get terrific service

Marla S
03-31-2006, 01:38 PM
As a german, no ... we don't like customer service :cheeky:
I even try to hide from the salesperson when buying male clothes ... or a screw driver ... but I constantly think of a story while buying female clothes - just in case :D .

Julie Avery
03-31-2006, 01:50 PM
LOL Marla, I'm another one who doesn't like customer service even when buying a screwdriver. This is no doubt determined by the same gene which prevents me from asking for directions when driving :)

Not to drift too far from the original post, my standard reply is "No, just looking for now, thanks" - but shopping for femme stuff in drab, it wouldn't take too much to make me uncomfortable enough to get the heck out of there.

Patty
03-31-2006, 01:51 PM
When I first started I would make up stories. Now I just say it is for me. Have had only a few neg responses.
When to a Macys to the MAC counter and had a very nice girl ask to help. I had a lip outliner and was trying to pick out lip stick color, she just looked at me and told me what she though would look good. What a great experence.

michelle19845
04-01-2006, 12:02 AM
it seems like they are trying to make you feel guilty or embarrassed for shopping.i wouldn't know what would happen if one day i said yes,i need some help.i wouldn't know if they'd say "i'm sorry that's for womwen only" or "sure do you want to try that on".it's a scary decision

Kordia
04-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Have gone into the Leggs pantyhose outlet and actually had several different sales ladies help me pick out colors and styles with nothing but helpful enthusiam! Same thing with looking for a particular item in a certain brand of makeup in a drug store!

Billijo49504
04-01-2006, 12:15 AM
I don't tell them who I'm buying for, I just want customer service if I;m not sure what I want. I AM A CUSTOMER, and I do spend money. I demand service...BJ

Jodi
04-01-2006, 09:05 PM
When I worked for both New York & Co and the Limited, we had 20 seconds to greet a customer, ask them what kind of a great outfit they were looking for, explain our sale items and turn them loose to shop. If an SA did not do this within 20 seconds of someone entering the store, they were counseled by the store manager. This is common customer service. Be advised that while shopping, after being greeted by the SA, if you push the SA away, he/she will let you alone, but they will never take their eyes off of you the entire time you are in the store. To shoo the SA away is one of the first steps of a shoplifter. We were trained in this. We were also trained to watch the customer's facial expression and body language. While shopping, if you are nervous, or appear to be nervous, and you shoo away the SA, you are tagged and will be watched by the SA and the manager. We had hand and arm signals to each other to tag a person to be watched. We took no chances with anyone, man or woman. Shoplifters come in all shapes and sizes.

We did not care what anybody bought. Just relax, shop and buy. When the SA greets you, greet her warmly with a big smile. Tell what you are looking for, or if you are just brousing. It is fine to brouse. GG's do it all the time, but expect that while you are brousing, the SA will come by and ask if you if you are finding everthing OK. We were trained to do this and expected to do this. Just relax and shop.

Jodi

DonnaT
04-01-2006, 10:53 PM
"Just looking" is my standard response, unless I need help. Then I ask questions, etc.

Denise01
04-01-2006, 11:10 PM
I was in a ladies store to-day and as Jodi said , it was only a matter of seconds before the S/A came by and asked if she could help.
I told here i was just browsing, and in a bit, did find a top that i liked. When i was holding it, she came back and asked how things were going. I was looking for a pleated skirt, and told her what i was looking for. She went and gota skirt they had, but only had small pleats in the back. It was a nice spring colour, and fit very well, but not quite what i wanted.
I did buy the top, and i found the S/A to be very courteous and helpful.
Being in retail my self, I do now shop lifting is a big problem so I have no problem at all, with their attention.
I have on several occasions bought items from this store, and at all times felt that I was treated non other than like a lady out shopping for the afternoon.

Denise

Kimberley
04-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Sometimes and depending on whether I need the help I will ask for it. Usually I dont need any assistance. I dont know, maybe they are able to pick up on it because I might get one look and that is it. Maybe its my age.

Regardless, usually the clerks are more than helpful. Occasionally I one who is a bit of a pain and I either ignore her or if the situation warrants it, put her in her place. (I posted about this in another thread. An experience with a just post teen bottle blonde in a lingerie boutique. Humorous)

One story does come to mind though. A few years back (I wont say how many but too many) I was buying a bathing suit (bikini) for my daughter. Anyway i took it to the counter to check out and the clerk asked if I wanted to try it on. I picked it up, put the bottoms over my elbow and said, Yup it fits. Put a bow on it. Always need a quick comeback for such eventualities.

Kimberley.,

Jenni
04-02-2006, 12:04 AM
when you shop in public in male mode(those that do) do you ever get questioned constantly "may i help you with something?" i had that experience today.i felt like i was being watched from all diferren't directions.

thanks,
michelle19845

Michelle, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's like they think you're going to try and filch something, or they just want to pressure you to leave?

I got so tired of hearing "can I help you?" at an appliance store (they were on commission) that I looked at the salesman with a smirk on my face, and said: "No thanks, I'm beyond help.":D

crusadergirl
04-02-2006, 12:14 AM
I liked all your stories they were really good. I have gone to buy swim wear before for my girlfriend at the time and they never asked me why i was buying them. Atlest not so far they haven't i mostly just talk to them about stuff and and ask questions so i guess they don't notice what i'm buying.

Marlena Dahlstrom
04-02-2006, 01:21 AM
As has been mentioned, some stores require the sales staff to greet customers -- and have "mystery shoppers" to ensure that it happens. So stores do train their staff to keep a watchful eye on customers to stop shoplifting. (For example a survey of Sears employees found that they felt their job was to protect the company's property rather than serve customers -- one reason Sears had a bad rep for customer service.) And some sales people who are commission do shark customers (often irritating customers in the process).

But having worked retail, I can assure you sales clerks really don't care what you buy. If they're on commission, a sale is a sale. If they're not on commission, they're usually not paid enough to care -- it's just a job. And believe me they've seen people buy just about everything.

We're often extremely self-conscious, but the truth is people really aren't paying attention. And if they are, they'll usually take their cues from you. If you act like it's no big deal, they'll usually act that way too.

trannie T
04-02-2006, 01:44 AM
The job of the sales person is to help the customer. To help the customer they offer assistance. They are there to make money for themselves and the store. They are not there to call the Transvestite Police.
I have had many decent experiences with sales people. If I'm looking for something I tell them it's for me and I've always received polite service. If I'm just looking around I'll tell them and I'm left alone.

Bonnie Jean
04-02-2006, 06:07 AM
i was in Pennys looking for a blouse and a clerk asked if she could help, without thinking i said yes I have an ankle lenght black straight line skirt and need a blouse, all she did was ask if it was solid, and then prceeded to show me several blouses and blouse sweater/jacket combos. Bought blouse and new red skirt blouse combo from her.

cindybarnes
04-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Years ago I had a lady at Fashion Bug mention to me they had gift certificates if I didnt see anything I wanted,I think she said that 2 or three times,, also she suggested pajama's as a gift. I was realy a nervous shopper back then, and left without buying anything.I think if I had fessed up and told her I was looking for myself it would have been a different story.

Same store last year, I was looking for a pinstripe jacket I had seen a few weeks before when shopping there with my wife. (I got a cute black and white blouse for 6.00 that day ) and was asked if I needed help,,I said Im just browsing thanks,,sadly the jackets were gone but I shopped long enough that one of the girls left and came back with lunch/dinner,, and said " ah he found something " when I was paying for another cute top
I just smiled and said yes but it was hard to choose just 1. Shopping in drab now is not a prob, but it hasnt always been the case.

I think if you nervous the clerks may intimidate you some, but they are doing their job trying to help.

Cindy

Holly
04-02-2006, 11:01 AM
I get asked for help all the time... and I love it! I even have my own credit card at some stores now. As has been said before, most sales associates are there to promote and sell merchandise. I have NEVER heard of store management instructing floor staff that it is okay to sell things to some people but not to others. If King Kong walked in and wanted to buy a bra and panty set, he would be asked, "What size and color?" Most of there folks have seen it all and more. Why not just say, "I'm looking for..." and let them do their job? You may just be surprised at some of the treasures you might find!