PDA

View Full Version : Great encounter with Make up counter girl

Monica55cd
04-01-2006, 02:51 PM
I was in downtown Santa Ana the other day needing to go to the IRS and they were closed...bummer... so I had some time to kill.... I went to the Main Place Mall which has a Macy's, Nordstroms, Lane Bryant, Victoria's Secret, and numerous other very nice ladys accec. stores....
Out side Nordstroms was a MAC cosmetics booth...I finaly mustered up the courage to approach a makeup artist and she asked if i needed help ..I started asking her about foundation.. what color was good for me and good for beard cover....she then looked at my pictures i carry with me...and told me she could do a whole makeover with just the purchase of a couple of items...mmmm nice she gave me her card and on to the next place...in Macy's cosmetic department.. the girl who approched me asking if i needed help was the most Wonderful helpful girl on makeup i have ever spoke with....
(I realize it's their job and they just do it no matter who the customer is..but I thought she really was extra helpful...) she saw my photo and was so helpful in suggesting colors, techniques, lipsticks..etc... and to top it all off... she looked just like the one celebraty that i tryly adore..Scarlet Johansen...it was funny I t hit me all of a sudden while we were talking I said I'm sorry i just realized who you look so much like and she said "Scarlet Johansen"?
Well I just had to buy somthing from her so I bought a $23 lipstick..first time I've ever spent that much on a lipstick....the sad thig is she won't be back at the store ..turns out she works for Dior.. and they send her all over to other stores all over the place so shes rarely in the same place twice...
I'm sorry this is getting too long it was such a nice afternoon and there was a couple other stores i went into and they were so helpful... I guess i'm trying to find some places to go when I venture out dressed for the first time...

CharlaineCadence
04-01-2006, 03:07 PM
darling i dont think anyone would mind really if your relaying shuch a wounderfull event.

Julie York
04-01-2006, 03:15 PM
It's good to hear success stories. It gives the rest of us hope and maybe a little confidence.
:thumbsup:

Reana
04-01-2006, 06:47 PM
I think you would have to search hard to find a makeup counter girl that would not, at the least, appear to be interested in helping. Most are probably sincere in their desire to help and the remainder are still aware of their job description, which is to sell. I've had contact with several and all experiences have been positive. I've had makeovers offered in different Dillard's stores here in Tx. and actually received one in Amarillo from a girl that worked in the makeup counter area of the Kohl's store there. If privacy is critical, some of the stores have a more secluded area. It is even possible, under the proper circumstances, to have the girl come to you. Don't ever be afraid to start a conversation with these girls and just be up front relating to your desires. The only disclaimer I would offer is to be aware of the fact that these girls are no different than the rest of us relating to abilities. Some are better than others and, just because they work in the makeup department, there is no gaurantee of 100% pleasing results. :)

Billijo49504
04-01-2006, 07:09 PM
At the Kohl's store here, they say they do makeovers, free, with no purchasee necessary..BJ

Joy Carter
04-01-2006, 07:16 PM
What a neat expierence.

Holly
04-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Great encounter at the makeup counter! That's one thing I have not tried yet. Your experience is encouraging me to give it a try. Thanks for posting.

trannie T
04-01-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm so sorry that you couldn't get into the IRS. Glad to hear that you were able to salvage your day. Great story!

JamieTG
04-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Monica I had a similar experience several months ago. I went to the Clinique counter of a local department store to buy their moisturizer. The lady had waited on me once before and remembered me. After she brought me the moisturizer she asked if there was anything else I needed. I then commented on how nice her makeup looked. We started chatting about makeup and I just came out and asked her if she thought her makeup style and shades would look good on me!! She said yes and asked if I wanted to try it. At this point I didn't care that people were walking by so I had a seat in her makeup chair in front of the lighted mirror. She then proceeded to spend about 45 minutes making up both eyes fully including eyeliner and mascara. She was so helpful and friendly and I bought everything she used on me. It was dark by now so I didn't even bother taking it off. I just walked out to my car and drove home. I have found that if you are very friendly and can be a little bit brave, most comsmetics girls will be very willing to help you.
Jamie

Denise01
04-01-2006, 11:19 PM
It is interesting that you mention the Clinique counter Jamie.

I was in one of our department stores here in Ontario, and stopped by the counter to see what moistureizer they had that would help me.
The Cosmetics girl asked if she could help, and I told here what I was looking for. She showed me several items, and then made a recomendation. I bought what she tried on me and it works fine. She also gave me some samples. A couple of weeks later, I was in the store again, looking for a foundation and concealer. She asked how i liked the samples she gave me a couple of weeks before. She tried some product on me, and again i liked what she used, and bought it.
I a lot of these stores and departments, the sales girls are on commission, and if not, they are still monitored by their sales
A good sales person and cosmetologist will do well and that is shown up by their pay check.
Another thing I find is be courteous to the people and they will help you a lot

Denise

Marlena Dahlstrom
04-02-2006, 01:42 AM
I think you would have to search hard to find a makeup counter girl that would not, at the least, appear to be interested in helping. Most are probably sincere in their desire to help and the remainder are still aware of their job description, which is to sell.

Exactly. I've never had a bad experience there, whether en femme or en homme. In fact I was up in SF today en femme and was walking by the Prespectives counter when the sales clerk who helped me a few weeks ago waved and said hi. Things were a little slow for her so we were able to chat for a couple minutes. (I was kvetching that I'd just been to DSW and there was literally nothing in my size -- yes I've got big feet -- and mentioned that why I normally shop at Zappos, which she'd never heard of, but I'm sure she's now eagerly checking out, although she's on a student budget.)