PDA

View Full Version : Faceapp

seyken
12-23-2020, 12:44 AM
Is it 100% safe to use this app.

What do members think on this ?

luuv2dress
12-23-2020, 01:28 AM
Nothing is 100% especially if you use the same browser with anything and or phone.

Vale
12-23-2020, 09:58 AM
Depends what you are worried about. If you get it from the Apple store or similar source it at least passed their inspection and probably won?t infect your phone. Regarding privacy, anything you generate for free on the web is out there ... period.

Vale

Michaela Jane
12-23-2020, 10:37 AM
So, where are the faceapp photos stored? Are they publicly viewable and how does one find the pictures you have made and NOT shared to a social media site?

Stevie Allyn
12-23-2020, 10:58 AM
FaceApp's full Privacy Policy here - https://www.faceapp.com/privacy-en.html

DianeT
12-23-2020, 12:23 PM
Thanks Stevie Allyn. That is an interesting read. I have read everywhere on the web that FaceApp owns the right to your edited pictures and can do whatever they want (resell etc.) with them. I don't know if something has changed, but that is absolutely not what I read in this policy.
Quoting: "We do not use the photographs you provide when you use the App for any reason other than to provide you with the editing functionality of the App." Now the only suspicious thing is that, strictly speaking, they don't talk about the pictures resulting from the editing. It may be worth asking them for a complement of information. They provide links for that.

Kate Jennings
01-25-2021, 03:50 AM
I think FaceApp offers great plausible deniability...If a picture of you ever surfaced, you have the out that anyone, anywhere can doctor any picture of you. Best not to have them on your phone however.

Kelly DeWinter
01-26-2021, 02:20 PM
Nothing on the internet or via a phone app is safe from distribution.

I spent 15 years as a computer consultant and found that if someone can program an app another programmer will eventually find a way in or around the software.

Baby monitors can be can and have been turned into listening devises outside of the home.
Ring cameras for doors have and can be hacked.
even car computer systems can be hacked via ireless apps downloaded from the internet.

I

Wen4cd
01-26-2021, 03:20 PM
It's extremely triggering and can cause a lot of pain and dysphoria.

sherlynn
01-27-2021, 01:29 AM
Faceapp requires an internet connection for the application to work. Choosing to use the application is just like walking into a private place of business, you cannot object when they capture images of you. If you store the photos on your cellphone, I think you should be okay. But if you choose to publish the photos to social media, then it's all fair game. I work for a very conservative Fortune 100 company and I mess with the application all the time. To me, Faceapp does a pretty good job of morphing and blending that the end result does not always look like you. Here's one I did at work today after reading this thread.

The glasses, eyes (minus the long eyelashes), nose, mouth (minus the lipstick) and jawline is all me. But they very subtly sharpened my chin to make my look more feminine, smoothed out my complexion and for some unknown reason made me blonde (I'm Asian with short hair by the way). Could you tell if it was me if you knew me? Probably not without a triple or quadruple take. And so what if someone figured out it was me? It's all in good fun. No harm no foul. That's my 2 cents.

Julia Hendrixxx
02-09-2021, 05:29 PM
It?s really good

LIKETODRESS2
02-09-2021, 06:07 PM
I used one on snap chat that chamges you to female

Natalie5004
02-09-2021, 06:11 PM
Faceapp owns the image you upload.

Micki_Finn
02-09-2021, 07:17 PM
Are you kidding? FaceApp safe? Have you not been following the news? No! FaceApp was essentially developed by Russian Hackers.
Their privacy policy means nothing because they?re based in Russia and the Russian government can access their data any time at-will because they?re Russia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2019/12/03/fbi-faceapp-investigation-confirms-threat-from-apps-developed-in-russia/amp/

So yeah, if privacy is your concern, no FaceApp is in no way ?safe?. Apple has vetted the app for any overtly malicious code, so it?s not gonna crash your device, so in that regard you could call it ?safe?

sherlynn
02-10-2021, 12:24 AM
Here's an article with a little more technical detail.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/daveyalba/what-happens-when-you-upload-faceapp-photos

Basically folks ran a network packet sniffer and found that the application does nothing nefarious. But they own the rights to any photo you upload via their application, meaning they can use, resell, etc. That's nothing considering the data mining that Google, Apple and Facebook are doing. I understood the risk and I choose to use it occasionally. And besides I'd be really flattered if they do decide to use my fugly face. Just because the company is based in Russia does not automatically make them bad, or any based in USA automatically make them good as evidenced by the above mentioned three US based company. Ultimately you have to decide if the risk is worth the little fun.

DianeT
02-10-2021, 05:07 AM
Sherlynn could you point to where they say that they own the rights to your photos ? I couldn't find any such mention in their user terms.

Krisi
02-10-2021, 08:07 AM
Rather than Faceapp, consider a program that runs on your computer. Portrait Pro is safe as long as you don't let other people use your computer. Every photo, before and after is stored on your computer (or an external drive if you wish).

CarlaWestin
02-10-2021, 08:07 AM
All this concern about FaceApp is interesting.
You do realise you're posting in a public forum right here, right?

Princess29
02-10-2021, 08:37 AM
I like using the "reface" app

Beverley Sims
02-10-2021, 06:21 PM
I do not use anything that takes control of what you are doing.

All my apps are in house and do not require internet interaction.

sherlynn
02-10-2021, 10:12 PM
Yes, we are having a lively discussion about privacy concerns in a public forum, but most of us don't use our real names or advertise where we live. However if you use your cellphones to take pictures, those pictures will contain EXIF data. Depending on the type of cellphone, how your Google/Apple account is set up, etc, you could potentially have your name as well as geolocation tagged into the pictures. I believe most modern digital cameras all tag pictures with EXIF data as well. I know for a fact that pictures taken using my cellphone does not contain my name or geolocation in the EXIF data. There are reasons to be concerned and it is better to be cautious than assume nothing bad can happen. On the other hand, if you have at any point of time used your cellphone to browse this forum, rest assured that Google/Apple already know.

As for the Face App terms and conditions, look at Section 4 for information about photos uploaded via their application.

https://www.faceapp.com/terms-en.html

darla_g
02-11-2021, 12:06 AM
I would be most concerned about apps like Face App having access to resources and files on your phone. I haven't done much with it but i downloaded it and run it on a phone that i no longer use for anything else. Not totally safe i guess, but better than being on my primary phone.