PDA

View Full Version : GGs main reason for wearing make-up?

heathr1
04-02-2006, 03:21 AM
Earlier this morning I complimented a GG I'd never met before on her make-up:o

She was overjoyed and said how pleased she was that a guy has complimented her on it.

Not so long ago I heard a GG say she had a good looking man visit her at work and she was kicking herself as she had no make-up on at the time.

So, my question is, do you GGs wear make-up to attract men, because it gives you confidence or another reason?

Forgive me if it is a personal question.

KrazyKat
04-02-2006, 04:36 AM
For me, all of the above, none of the above.
In your youth, due to high price marketing, you feel it's essential to be "included". If your lucky enough to find your self-confidence, inner peace, etc., you can realize you meet the greatest people when you've finished a 12 hour "bear" of a day, looking all scruffy!! I think it's attitude, 'cause I did "worry" about makeup much more when I was pre-30!!
Now, I just try to cover the "English" red veins on my nose, too much ale, I fear!! LOL
Kat

CherGG
04-02-2006, 08:57 AM
I started wearing makeup when I was about 12. I suppose that back then I thought it made me look older, and more attractive. By the time I was in my early 20's, I looked at myself, and thought I looked ridiculous in it. I have not worn makeup since, except for an occasional touch of lipstick when dressing up.
Now that I am older, I suppose a little makeup might help, but I still can't bring myself to wear it. Sorry i can't help more with this thread.

heathr1
04-02-2006, 11:20 AM
CherGG.

lol!

Yes, I see girls in their teens obviously wearing make-up to look older and get served alcohol in pubs.

admirerplus GG
04-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Heathr1,

At one time I was a cosmetics sales person. I learned a fair amount about skin care, make-up and general tips to improve one's appearance. In my experience many women spend more time to ensure they have a good skin care regime that includes sun screen than on cosmetics. For every day wear, women who are managing a busy career and family obligations, lipstick is an absolute must. Depending on a women's lifestyle and career environment, the amount and style of make-up application will vary. For example, in my office work environment, women do not wear any make-up at all. I believe there is a tendancy for many women to appear more androgenous in a traditionally male dominated, business environment.

When I first started working in my office, I was the only woman I knew who wore full make-up. (e.g. foundation, under eye concealer, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, rouge, lip liner and lipstick) I would often touch up my lipstick with a lovely, shiny lip gloss as a top layer. Now, for day time I am down to just lipstick and gloss.

For evening or special occasions, it seems to me, many women wear more make-up and can be more dramatic with its application. I love to have full make-up. It makes me feel more well dressed and polished in my appearance. When my eyes and face are highlighted with make-up, I feel more glamourous. Socially, I have few occasions where wearing full make-up is the accepted practice. I like the idea of getting all glammed up with a CD friend and of sharing in that fun and relaxing experience.

Just my observations and two cents worth.

Bev06 GG
04-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi heather,
Well thats a question and a half. I love makeup and dont really like to be seen without it,(vain little thing aren't I). However, I dont think that it has anything to do with attracting the opposite sex. I am very happily attached at present and nothing could be further from my mind.

I do however take great pride in my appearance. I wear makeup every day, wash my hair every day, wear jewellery, every day, and altho I have to wear jeans and sweatshirt for work, I always make sure it is ironed and well turned out, every day.

I think that a persons appearance can and does speak volumes about them, and generally speaking someone who takes a pride in how they look, will more often than not take a pride in their work and day to day responsibilities. Hope that helps.

Take care BEVxxxxx

mellisa's wife
04-03-2006, 08:28 AM
I'll have to agree with Bev. I am now sitting in my office ( at home) I have no plans to leave the house until 4:oo p.m. I have a day planned of invoicing, filing, cleaning the house, doing laundry, cooking etc. and yet I have had my makeup on ( since 4:00 a.m. when I routinely get up for the day and took my hubby to work). My "face in on" my hair is done, and I am dressed for the day... lol you never know when the UPS or Fed Ex deliveries show up. I will "touch up the face and hair" before picking up my husband.

I do most of this for me! I am no spring chicken, lol any more and just feel better about myself when I take care of my appearance. Of course- the makeup and hair and clothing change on certain ocassions ;) but usually are pretty consistant. I do admit to dressing up for my husband around the house and certainly when we go out.

To me - getting "made up" is just a part of my daily routine - for me!

Tamara Croft
04-03-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't wear makeup to attract guys (not now anyway lol), I wear it for my own self confidence. I don't like to slap loads on, I never wear foundation, just some eyeshadow, eyeliner, bit of blush and some lippy ;) I just feel it brightens up my face. I don't wear it very often, even though it only takes me a few minutes to put on. I guess it depends how I'm feeling each day.

heathr1
04-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Also, a GG I know never, ever wears make-up.

She said she's glad she 'never puts that oily, greasy stuff on'.

Seriosilly GG
04-03-2006, 05:39 PM
That is strickingly similar to this GG here lol. I never got why people wanted to wear make up when girls my age started to around 12 or so. And 10 years later the closest I've gotten is a short stint with really glittery lipstick (a phase that lasted maybe 2 weeks) and some half hour experiments with eye make up.

I think maybe it would be different if someone has a scar or bad acne, but short of that, if you don't like my face, don't look at it, I won't care.

Bev06 GG
04-03-2006, 05:42 PM

Well thats born out of ignorance, because applied correctly and using the right cosmetics, its neither oily or greasy. Some people just slap all the wrong stuff on and then complain that they feel too made up. Alot of that is because the cosmetics industry sells you a lie and tells you that you need half a dozen products when just a couple will do. Dont really know how they get away with it, but most of us believe the lie at some point in our lives.
Take care
BEVxxxx

heathr1
04-03-2006, 05:55 PM
My ex-girlfriend only wore a little make-up...for herself, but when it came to hair, used to wear it up often because she knew I like updos.

Sage GG
04-15-2006, 07:15 PM
for me its diffidently not to attract other men, happily married, Thank you. I work in an office and to have a finished business look I do wear it. mostly eye makeup, to accent the positive you know.

now at 51 I have started to wear brighter lipstick, I always wore nude lipstick as I'm very self conscious about a scar above my lip, a dog bite that needed thirteen stitches from a plastic surgeon. but as I've aged it doesn't bother me as much.I always wear sun screen, winter and summer. Sometimes I think woman wear make up for other woman.

dancinginthedark
04-15-2006, 07:24 PM
I wear make up to feel good about myself. I know with just a bit of extra time I can look better. My skin looks smoother and nicer and my eyes look larger etc...So why not take the time and know I look my best. Do I wear it every single day, nope. Some days I don't bother. Maybe I am taking a long day to just relax/let my hair down or like now I don't feel well or up to it.

Sandra
04-16-2006, 08:45 AM
I only wear makeup when we are going out some where nice, bit of face powder,blush, eye shadow, mascara and lippy, but it is not heavy makeup just enough to show I have some on.

I must admit then when I do wear it I do feel better in myself, maybe cos it hides the blemishes etc that are there ;)

A sage GG
04-16-2006, 02:06 PM
when I was younger I wore it because the other girls did. In my late teens and twenties I wore it to attract men or compete with other women as we do. In my thirties I wear it because I've noticed I need to a little more so than when I was younger.

Kerry Owens
04-19-2006, 10:22 AM
At my age, I know I should put some makeup on....SO kinda nudges now and then, but so much make up causes allergies and the ones that don't are astronomically priced out of my range.
Little bit of makeup on rare days yeah, but otherwise....not likely!

Cheery GG
04-19-2006, 10:50 AM
I wear make up about 70% of my time.....I dont care if i pop to the shops and havent got any on.....i am quit comfortable without...but i do feel more attractive wth it on.....I dont wear it to attract anyone, ive got my Lisa....but it does give me a little more confidence....some would say i dont need anymore but ....

cheery
xx