PDA

View Full Version : Pandemic side effect

Helen_Highwater
01-29-2021, 05:03 PM
Now I admit I have no empirical evidence for this, just a feeling from reading the posts but it does seem to me that of recent there's been a steady flow of members who, for what ever reason, drifted away from the forum but have now returned.

It got me thinking, (always dangerous), that is it a side effect of the pandemic? We all have more time on our hands, the time spent online has grown and grown as the pandemic has gone on. Winter is keeping us indoors more so is it possible that in the middle of this dreadful crisis our community has found both new and old friends? A refuge from the storm? A tiny sliver of silver on an otherwise dark cloud.

Raychel
01-29-2021, 06:24 PM
people do drift away and come back sometimes.
But I suspect that you are right Helen.
With more and more people stuck at home.
we ar all looking for ways to maintain sanity

I will say, that isn't working too well for me

maybe some of those people will chime in :)

Crissy 107
01-29-2021, 07:29 PM
I got here in 2018 and have not drifted away, I just love it too much. I can understand how it can happen as there are all sorts of pressures on everyone. I also have seen several members posting in the intro forum about coming back here after being away, I am always happy to see that.

Wen4cd
01-29-2021, 08:00 PM
Been drifting in and out for almost 17 years now :D

darla_g
01-29-2021, 10:00 PM
I know my involvement level is directly tied to whether i am dressing or not. I did not have any opportunities to dress early in the Pandemic so i don't think i logged on at all.

Geena75
01-29-2021, 10:07 PM
When I first joined, I had dial-up internet so limited my use to not tie up the home phone. Dial up died about 3 years ago, so no home internet access, just when taking the laptop to a library or some hot spot. In September I got access at home again, so I cruise the site daily. Not really related to pandemic.

candykowal
01-29-2021, 10:55 PM
I been gone for a little while and I started getting curious on happenings here as a a few of the members here are part of a e-mail clutch I belong to.
And our e-mail clutch started to grow with more members from our forum. :gh:
Their banter about things got me curious about them and various topics and I stopped in to see what was happening here again. :daydreaming:
Not covid related per say but it's nice to come to here to get away from current events. :censor:
Besides my e-mail clutch girl friends, it is nice to see a lot of my friends are still active....and the ones that are not posting anymore, very much missed.:sad:
I made a few new friends too and that is very exciting for me.
It's nice to be back....

Karren H
01-29-2021, 10:57 PM
I just happened to find my CD.com password! Maybe the pandemic has given me the extra time i needed to find it? lol I was more thinking that for the last four years I have been in kind of an increasingly depressed mood and suddenly last November I started feeling better... or maybe that was just a coincidence?

Helen_Highwater
01-30-2021, 12:48 PM
Well it's Saturday evening and logging in I looked in the Intro's section and the top 4 showing new comments were from returning members, each with their own story to tell and back with us for differing reasons and length of time away. Nothing wrong in that and whatever it was that triggered their return it's good to have them back contributing to the forum once more. Let's hope we get even more in the coming year. The more the merrier.

Karren H
01-30-2021, 01:02 PM
One... we have big mouths... B... have a lot of catching up to do! Lol.

Teresa
01-30-2021, 02:05 PM
Helen,
I find it's a case of motivation or lack of it , I'm just happy to safely walk with other dog walkers otherwise most things are on hold .

Richelle423
01-30-2021, 06:48 PM
Welcome back!!! You were sorely missed. Thought you were gone forever. This site needs your energy.

Leslie Mary S
01-30-2021, 07:33 PM
Welcome back Karen. Like your red hair.

Oh my male side, a 77 year old grumpy old man, finally got his notice to come in and get the shot. I think I will tag along in his mind.

Have you gotten yours yet?

Pumped
01-31-2021, 01:01 AM
I showed up in 2013 and have been here regularly. The first few years I read more than posted, but as my life has changed and I have gotten more comfortable with myself I post too much!

Funny to see that I an getting to be sort of an old timer in some ways, at least in post count.

Alexis00
01-31-2021, 10:35 AM
Hadn’t dressed or visited here in a year or two. Got Covid in December, became obsessed with dressing and started ordering clothes, reconnecting with old friends, and rejoined the Transgender Club.

Glenda58
01-31-2021, 05:05 PM
I've been in and out for the last year. I have to look over my shoulder for my wife coming up behind me when I'm on.

Claire M
01-31-2021, 06:06 PM
I guess I logged on back in 2014 but don't recall spending any time here. Then take COVID and mix in retirement and a cross-country move and I find myself here a lot lately ... a chance to connect with like-minded ladies :)

Beverley Sims
02-01-2021, 02:54 AM
For me Helen, I have just been wallowing around the galaxy looking at the misfortune of UK and US citizens and thinking how lucky I am and how well others you would know are getting on.

All the best.

Jane G
02-01-2021, 01:01 PM
I valid observation. Working from home has certainly meant more time to enjoy dressing and time on the forum is undoubtedly related to that.

One... we have big mouths... B... have a lot of catching up to do! Lol.

I suspect we will all enjoy you catching up Karen. Your post count is some what higher than mine. Mist you girl. Hope you are still enjoying the hockey.

Jacke
02-01-2021, 01:38 PM
I am fairly new here and seldom post, though I am here almost every day. Retirement and covid have made it a little easier to stay present. Many of you have become familiar to me. Strange to me that I am beginning to feel like friends with people I have never met and most of whom I have never communicated directly. We all need some friends, even if it is by the internet. Very few friends in the new location. D***** covid.

I thank those of you who have weathered the ups and downs of life, but continued to help others here with advice and experiences.

Genifer Teal
02-01-2021, 05:40 PM
I admit I'm a Drifter. I go away I come back. It's just a timing thing. Maybe covid-19 Had a slight influence But it's not the overall reason.

jacques
02-02-2021, 11:50 AM
hello Helen,
I'd rather be here than watching the depressing Covid news on the television
luv J

BrendaPDX
02-02-2021, 02:46 PM
Loneliness will even drive strangers together.

alwayshave
02-03-2021, 07:21 AM
Helen, I admit to being away for a few months. It had more to do with some amount of depression on my part. I have a full house and can't dress at home. I haven't been able to go to my meetups where I would dress at a hotel. My depression has abated and I have returned.

Melanie Sykes
02-04-2021, 05:33 AM
I think you're right Helen, at least in my case. I joined here in 2011 after lurking for a year or three. I usually browse anonymously since there's not much point logging in if I'm not going to post (I despise typing on my phone and that's where I'm usually reading). I used to travel a lot with work and so had plenty of time to myself to visit the forum, but in around 2013 my circumstances changed and I was working at home most of the time. I stopped visiting the site - maybe I'd read a couple of days a year. I was dressing regularly at home while everyone else was at school and work, but since the pandemic I don't get a moment to dress. Coming back here has really helped me stay sane! I think I started coming back regularly around April last year. Many of the names I'd remembered being very active in my early days here seemed to have disappeared (Karren Hutton, ReineG, Beverley Sims, Kimdl93 to name but a few), but it's been really great to see many of you come back: it feels like seeing old friends again!

Liz Jones
02-04-2021, 07:07 AM
Hi,
I --er-- "visit" here three times a day... after breakfast, coffee time & after dinner ( & doing the washing up ! :-) ) so "names" have sort of become friends, true ones i will never meet, but non the less.... Dont think it has a lot to do with covid but rather the fact that i am ( at 78 yrs ) a new kid on the block looking for both insparation & advice ! I have a wide range of hobbies ,two workshops ( one for metal work the other for model building-- on the wall of each is the plaque saying --- What if..... ) so not short of things to do ! ( this afternoon its fit a new socket to my tablet -- why do they fit sutch small ones & expect it to carry 2 amps.... ) Do wonder if " mature " members no longer being able to dress ( try putting tights on when the arthritis is bad....... ) give up, so keep up the good work Girls, i'm watching..........
Liz

Donna42
02-07-2021, 10:37 PM
If I have to pick something good to come out of this pandemic it?s that I found this site and all you wonderful ladies!!

Leslie Mary S
02-08-2021, 12:57 AM
Donna; Welcome to the group. Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

KateClarkRN
02-13-2021, 08:31 AM
I've become more active in this forum since the pandemic began. I guess I had more time to focus on me and the things I care about more.

Maria 60
02-13-2021, 09:04 AM
To tell you the truth with the amount of people who are working from home or just home in lockdown in general I thought there would be more action here, instead you only get a few new threads every day

Star01
02-13-2021, 09:41 AM
Member since 2018 but it feels like I have been here longer. I am retired and sit in the living room giving cats attention and checking posts over morning coffee. This is the highlight of my day because I cannot dress until things open back up and I get some wiggle room.