PDA

View Full Version : Do you dress how you'd like your SO to dress/in what your SO looks good in?

CharlotteCD
02-10-2021, 05:24 PM
I think that my style has been shaped massively by my wife, who I think always looks amazing in any clothing.

She often wears jeggings, leggings and yoga pants for casual clothing, and for more professional she wears cigarette trousers, blouses and professional dresses.

I've found that in the near seven years we've been together, I've gone from wearing more outright sexy outfits to a style more akin with her's.

Another thing I've noticed though is how often I buy something and wish I could see it on her because I think she'd look amazing in it.

I know theres a theory that you are the combination of the people you're exposed to the most, so I wonder if this is what's happening?

Is it just me?

kayegirl
02-10-2021, 05:29 PM
No I do not base my clothing choices on my wife'should style in any way. She may comment on my wardrobe, but she does not influence it in any way.

Samm
02-10-2021, 06:07 PM
Hi Charlotte. That's a no here. My style and look is very different from my wife's. I like my curvey jeans and fitted tops. She likes her activewear, loose tops, and yoga pants. I like skirts and dresses way more than she does too lol.

Beverley Sims
02-10-2021, 06:18 PM
My wife and I are so different, I am slim and she has a more rounded figure.

The styles are different.

Stephanie47
02-10-2021, 09:11 PM
My wife and I will have been married fifty years by the end of this year. Aside from the never ending battle of jeans/leggings v dresses on this site, when it comes to dresses I'd say our tastes are similar. My wife and I are in a DADT so she does not know of my wardrobe of 162 dresses. I know of the small number of dresses she has because they hang in the closet and are easy to see. The last time I accompanied her to buy dresses (see does not drive due to vision impairment) it was for a post operative back surgery. She bought several empire waist long summer dresses. Very pretty floral prints. She asked my opinion and I gave her a thumbs up. Now, don't throw bricks at me, but, when she was visiting her cousin out of state I did wear two of them. If she ever decides to get rid of them I will claim them. Of the other dresses they are knee length. It turns out she and I on separate occasions bought the same dress. I'd say she and I have similar tastes.

Linda E. Woodworth
02-10-2021, 09:34 PM
No, we both have our separate styles.

If she asks my opinion I'll give her an honest answer.

Her comment to me was to be as feminine as possible and not a "charactechure" of a woman.

AngelaYVR
02-10-2021, 10:41 PM
Funnily enough, to an extent she adopted some of my styles. Of course, to be fair, I in turn adopted them from decades gone by.

Geena75
02-10-2021, 11:00 PM
In our younger and slimmer days, I loved getting her a dress for Christmas or a special occasion, liked the look on her, but never thought of it on me. Now days, she has put on weight to the extent that her dresses would fit me, but much shorter owing to my being about 6 inches taller. What I bought for myself wouldn't be her style, though. I saw one on a CLX rack and thought "Not for me." Imagine my surprise when she bought it for herself! (No knowledge of my noticing it before.) Still not for me.

Rhonda Darling
02-10-2021, 11:50 PM
My wife and I are mostly different in our choices of clothing, but she has heavily influenced me and long ago convinced me to dress my age, not my mind, meaning don’t dress like a young woman on the lookout for a date — dress to blend in and age appropriate. I’ve found that it works for me and I’m happier and have less stress when out and about.

candykowal
02-11-2021, 12:07 AM
My wife and I were on vacation and when getting ready for dinner, she come out of the room in a blouse I own!
I was speechless as I thought for sure, she was wearing my blouse as if to tell me she found my Candice clothes and know I crossdress!
I kept my composure and she didn't mention anything....
...it wasn't till we got home from vacation, I saw my blouse was secure and my secret stash of clothes wasn't compromised.
I was so freaked! ....she now owns 2 of my blouses so I am thinking she is shopping at JC Penny too!

mbmeen12
02-11-2021, 03:39 AM
When I dress its lights out sexy office lady...i.e. short skirts etc. My GF is all about comfort.

Karren H
02-11-2021, 04:41 AM
My wife has horrid taste in feminine clothing. And since I started dressing decades before I met her... and really has nothing to do with her.... pretty sure my style is more akin to that of my mother and step mother.... step sister.... neighbor girls... old girl friend... and any of the other women whom I borrowed clothing from when younger and all the women in the Sears and Pennys catalogues! Lol.

Jade P
02-11-2021, 05:36 AM
I like dresses and skirts more than my wife does. She usually wears pants. Most of the time I just wear panties and pantyhose under my male clothing I dont have any dresses.

Teresa
02-11-2021, 06:15 AM
Charlotte,
I often borrowed my wife's clothes at first , I liked her style more then , I gradually realised what suited me and what didn't . Nowdays my ex-wife can't be bothered with shopping .

It didn't really all come together until I had to consider going full time so I bought more items that I felt good in and were possibly more appropriate for my size and shape . Now I don't let anyone influence me , I like shopping for ME , building up a wardrobe to suit all seasons and experimenting with colours .

DianeT
02-11-2021, 07:24 AM
I don't dress like my wife, but if I had to, I would just make a small jump from the sixties to the seventies. She loves flower power and ethnic attire (but still indulges me with pantyhose once in while to avoid starving me to death and keep me frolicking happily around the place).

VS Fan
02-11-2021, 07:43 AM
I dress the way my college GF did... I mean to the extent that I prefer flowing skirts/tops .... my wife used to wear skirts when younger but it’s probably been 15 years since I’ve seen her in one. We have pretty much established that we will each do what we want without regard to the others wishes or desires. That’s as much freeing as it is sad.

Angela Marie
02-11-2021, 08:11 AM
I love leggings and wear them all the time; all shapes and colors with a variety of outfits. My wife does not like what she views as confining clothing. So our tastes are very different. She is stylish but her clothing choices are diametrically different from mine.

Micki_Finn
02-11-2021, 09:55 AM
I think the shift from “sexy” to “street” clothes is a pretty natural progression for a lot of dressers out there.

Janet Devon
02-11-2021, 11:17 AM
I would say I dress the way I would like to see my wife dress sometimes. Most of my preferences are in skirts and dresses, although I have a few slacks and leggings. Some of my clothes mach our age and some would be more appropriate for a younger woman. Since nearly 100% of my time is at home, style and age appropriate is not an issue. My taste in blouses is very close but I am slightly smaller, so she can't usually fit into my clothes.

BTWimRobin
02-11-2021, 12:21 PM
My SO and I have an agreement I can wear anything I want when she is around as long as it's tasteful and is something she would wear. This limits me to women's jeans, shorts, and lounge pants. Tops include t-shirts and sweatshirts. She only recently gave me the okay on leggings, which I have yet to take her up on
She doesn't particularly like anything that is confining, like leggings, bras, skinny jeans, etc. When she is not around the sky is the limit as to what I wear. Sure I wish my wife would dress more feminine, but I don't dress how I would like her to dress.

Micki_Finn
02-11-2021, 12:52 PM
To further expand on this, there is a considerable section of dressers who will relate, but I don’t think it’s really what they want THEIR wives specifically to wear. If we’re honest and knowledgeable, the things we wear likely wouldn’t be the most flattering on our spouses. I think rather it has to do with an idealization of women and the pursuit of that ideal. It’s just easy to project that to our spouses because many of us do see our SOs as our ideal woman.

LilSissyStevie
02-11-2021, 01:18 PM
For me the underlying question is always "What is the furthest from masculinity can I get?" and has little to do with women or what they wear, ideally or actually.

DianeT
02-11-2021, 02:07 PM
For me the underlying question is always "What is the furthest from masculinity can I get?" and has little to do with women or what they wear, ideally or actually.
That, too. Even if the result isn't far from what a 21st century woman could wear on a formal occasion.

Jillian Faith
02-11-2021, 02:23 PM
My wife and I have two different styles, that being said there is a point in the middle where our style choices are similar and we have purchased the same top, legging or dress for each of our wardrobes.

MaryAnn1963
02-11-2021, 03:14 PM
My wife wears clothing more along the lines of what I wear in drab...20 years and I've seen her in a dress twice. However, as of late, she is starting to pick up things that is along the lined of my Femme style. So, I think maybe my crossdresssing is affecting her style now.

Leslie Langford
02-11-2021, 04:15 PM
My wife and I have different styles for the simple reason that what looks good on her wouldn't necessarily look good on "Leslie", and vice versa.

That said, it often happens that I will come across something that I think would look great on my wife when shopping for my female attire, but, alas, it is not to be. She made it clear to me years ago that she didn't want me to buy her items of clothing anymore the way I used to for past Christmases, birthdays etc. Somewhere along the line, she got the notion into her head that whenever I was buying something for her, I must also have been buying the same thing for myself since I liked the item so much, and the thought of that was just too "creepy" for her. Not true, but when someone "believes" something so strongly, it becomes an unshakeable article of faith for them.

Her loss, not mine, however.

Back in the days when my wife was working in an office (also back when women still wore dresses, skirts and heels in those settings as opposed to today's "athleisure wear") and I was still permitted to buy such things for her, she would often tell me about all the compliments she had gotten when wearing the clothing items I had given her.

Maybe i've actually answered my own question here. Perchance the "green-eyed monster of jealousy" led us to this point eventually...:idontknow: :bonk:

Cheryl T
02-12-2021, 10:16 AM
She has never been an influence in my style because of what she prefers to wear.
Her influence comes more as a conscience, advising me what does and does not improve my appearance. "That skirt's a little too short", "You look good in orange" or "That's a neutral and goes with everything" are the comments I hear.
My style is mine and it's evolved over time based purely on what I prefer to wear, what I feel makes me look good and the styles that make me happy to be a woman.

cdsamswife
02-14-2021, 06:55 AM
Sam's body shape is very different than mine. So what she wears is very different as well. I think there are some basics that we sort of both have. But as a nursing mom, all my clothes are for convenience and comfort now and Sam whenever he gets the urge to dress up, would rather go all out and look more glam since he barely gets a chance to dress up nowadays.

sigh... i wish I could have time to dress up without the kids now too ....

Gi Gondin
02-14-2021, 10:03 AM
When buying clothes for my girlfriend I keep in mind her style, color preference and her wardrobe. But there is always a 10% deviation towards my preferences (short skirts, tight dresses and very high heels? 😜

Most of the time we buy our clothes together and has been for me a incredible experience and learning about style, body shapes, color matching and combinations? she has a great sense of what works for me? I just love ❤️

We usually try to get the same piece for both of us? our tastes ate clearly getting more alike?

jessica33
02-14-2021, 10:57 AM
My wife wears office attire to work which is also my type of clothes . Its too bad she wears size 6 while I am in size 10 .

sometimes_miss
02-15-2021, 08:22 PM
My brain is somewhat broken. In some ways, I still feel like an adolescent girl, waiting to become a woman. So I dress in junior's styles and like a young high school girl would. So no, I don't dress as I'd like someone I date would.
I think that this is because of growing up from age 7 onward, being told that I was supposed to be a girl, but god made a mistake, and that eventually he would 'fix' me, and I'd become the girl I then expected to be. Perhaps believing that female was my true gender identity through all those developmental years, it became my permanent self gender identification somehow. Even after I knew that it was wrong, and that everything else how my mind worked was stereotypically male, the underlying feelings of being female have never gone away.
In all the years I've been online (since the ancient usenet discussion forums on alt.transgendered and the Compuserve discussion forums) I've only discussed this with a couple of males who also experienced this, so it's probably pretty rare. The psychologists that I've asked about this, had no more information about it than I did.

Sometimes Steffi
02-15-2021, 11:29 PM
No I do not base my clothing choices on my wife's style in any way. She may comment on my wardrobe, but she does not influence it in any way.

My style and look is very different from my wife's. I like my curvy jeans and fitted tops. She likes her activewear, loose tops, and yoga pants. I like skirts and dresses way more than she does too lol.

My wife has never shopped wit me (for Steffi) and has never seen any of Steffi's clothes. I developed my own style without any of my wife's help. And, there's very few of her clothes that I would even bother to "steal" from the charity bag.

So, that's a big, "No".

UsuallyRick
02-19-2021, 08:57 PM
I tend to lean toward what my wife wore ages ago.. I have worn panties, girls jeans and short shorts since before we were together 20+ yrs ago .. I more and more over the years have gone more girly in my daily man mode clothing whilst she basically just likes pants and flats etc.. I really like the lil black dresses and hosiery and high heel calf height or knee height boots and low cut shirts for some cleavage show.. very much different than her choices for these days.. she actually bought me panties for Christmas this year, string bikinis!!! I typically like lacy thong or boyshorts for everyday use and when it's summer a pair of speedos to hold the tuck and almost got a bikini top sunburn on a day she was gone for the weekend... oops I hope one day we will be closer on this subject and I can spiff up while she's around but for now no pads or boobs and corsets under dresses around her even tho she knows I have it because I don't hide any of my stuff...