PDA

View Full Version : Confused on Gender... Unique Solution

Shelly Preston
04-11-2021, 03:55 AM
I had a recent encounter when the young gentleman was a little confused.

Maybe presentation was not at my best or it may have been my voice.

Recently I was visiting a local garage to have a tyre changed.

He only asked for a surname for the receipt which was fine.

When I looked at it later I found out he must have been a little confused.

It did not say Miss or Mister he had chosen a suitable alternative

He decided I would be "Doctor Preston"

That must be the quickest way I have ever qualified for anything. :)

Krea
04-11-2021, 04:09 AM
That's a clever, but respectful, way of dealing with the uncertainty. :thumbsup:
(Congratulations on your new qualification Dr. Preston.) ;)

Teresa
04-11-2021, 05:30 AM
Shelly ,
Next time we meet up any chance you could give me a check up ? So funny , Dr. Shelly Preston , has quite a ring to it !!

When I first registered my name change with Boots the sales girl asked what title I prefered , before I could answer she had clicked on " Reverend " , we both had a laugh about that .

The one that we had a big joke about was my name change for my Toolstation account , for some unknown reason they had me down as " Granville Rochford " . So the last time I collected my order for fence paint I told the sales girl I'd come to collect the paint for the Granville Rochford Estate , she got the message after she'd stopped laughing and changed it to my femme name .

char GG
04-11-2021, 06:24 AM
Cute story, Shelly.

Just think of all of the university time that you bypassed to get to where you are today.:daydreaming:

Alice Torn
04-11-2021, 07:31 AM
That is funny!

GretchenM
04-11-2021, 07:52 AM
What a great story. Your auto mechanic has a great sense of humor and is very respectful of who you are. Have you considered an avatar change to a white coat and a stethoscope replacing the necklace?

Di
04-11-2021, 08:00 AM
Love that :)
I think that will be my name for you from now on.

bridget thronton
04-11-2021, 11:06 AM
The two best gender neutral titles are Dr and Professor (I get to use them both) - though Reverend pretty is good too Terri

Gilly68
04-11-2021, 11:24 AM
That's so sweet, what a lovely way for the guy in the garage to deal with the situation when he wasn't sure.

I agree Reverend would be nice to be called though.... Reverend Gilly has a nice ring to it!

Bobbi46
04-11-2021, 11:51 AM
Great story Shelley maybe I can book appointment with you to check my blood pressure and listen to my heart !!! lol

BLUE ORCHID
04-11-2021, 01:39 PM
Hi Shelly :hugs:, That was great Thanks for sharing, >Orchid**O:daydreaming:O**

AngelaYVR
04-12-2021, 12:49 AM
I don't really blame him, some people have an itchy google review trigger finger.

Ultimately though, why do so many of us think we have gone fully undetectable the moment we put on a dress? You'd have to inhale a lot of exhaust fumes to truly be confused as to who we are.

Shelly Preston
04-12-2021, 12:52 PM
There is a follow up to the story

Since the garage is part of a nationwide chain they do share information.

I know this because I received a call asking to speak to Doctor Preston I don't remember exactly why but it did put a smile on my face. :D

What a great story. Your auto mechanic has a great sense of humor and is very respectful of who you are. Have you considered an avatar change to a white coat and a stethoscope replacing the necklace?

Gretchen, that is a great idea but I don't have a white coat.

Shelly ,

Next time we meet up any chance you could give me a check up ? So funny , Dr. Shelly Preston , has quite a ring to it !!

I agree Teresa. I like the ring it has too :)

That's a clever, but respectful, way of dealing with the uncertainty. :thumbsup:
(Congratulations on your new qualification Dr. Preston.) ;)

Krea, I think my Doctorate is in the field of useless information. to be fair it is wide ranging and varied.

Thank you all for the comments.

Joyce Swindell
04-12-2021, 05:09 PM
Well the "School of Hard Knocks" could be your collage! So maybe you've earned it!?

I keep getting mail from Ohio State School of Dentistry that addresses to me as "Doctor." I actually had to call them twice to correct the mistake but I've held onto the publication for fun and reference (don't really know what I could use it for).

I think his answer to the situation was brilliant! I've never thought of this choice. So thanks for sharing!

docrobbysherry
04-12-2021, 07:17 PM
Hmmm. Why do I not think that to be funny or unusual? And, certainly not unique, Doc Shelly. Welcome to the club!:devil:

Shelly Preston
04-14-2021, 12:00 PM
Doc,

I am not surprised it does seem a little different to you.

I wonder how exclusive this club is :)

Leslie Langford
04-14-2021, 08:48 PM
Shelly ,

When I first registered my name change with Boots the sales girl asked what title I prefered , before I could answer she had clicked on " Reverend " , we both had a laugh about that .

The one that we had a big joke about was my name change for my Toolstation account , for some unknown reason they had me down as " Granville Rochford " . So the last time I collected my order for fence paint I told the sales girl I'd come to collect the paint for the Granville Rochford Estate , she got the message after she'd stopped laughing and changed it to my femme name .

I think that "Granville Rochford" is an awesome name, and the only way it could have been improved upon is by perhaps adding the suffix "III" to it, as in "Granville Rochford III" :heehee:. It has a decidedly patrician ring to it, and is worthy of belonging to a suave matinee idol heartthrob along the lines of a Cary Grant or a Rock Hudson.

Too bad you let go of it...that moniker would have looked highly impressive on some fine stationary. That, or as a nom de plume on some of your fine artwork in the event that you wished to preserve your anonymity for it ;).