PDA

View Full Version : F to M sex change in Saudi Arabia

Helen MC
04-03-2006, 01:56 PM
This may be of interest:-

5 Saudi women change sex Monday April 3, 11:26 AM

RIYADH (Reuters) - Tired of being second to men in conservative Saudi Arabia, five women decided if you can't beat them, join them.

Al Watan newspaper said the five women have underwent sex change surgeries abroad over the past 12 months after they developed a "psychological complex" due to male domination.

Women in Saudi Arabia, which adopts an austere interpretation of Islam are not allowed to drive or even go to public places unaccompanied by a male relative.

The newspaper quoted a senior cleric as saying the authorities have to fill what he described as a legal vacuum by issuing laws against sex change operations.

An interior ministry official told the Watan such cases are examined by religious authorities, and sometimes by psychologists, but those who undergo sex change are never arrested.

CaptLex
04-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Wow, I really feel for those guys. It takes an extreme case like this to remind me that females really don't have it so bad on this side of the world. So many women have to endure physical and psychological hardship just because they're born female in so many countries. :Angry3: I wouldn't trade places with them for all the chocolate in Hershey.

Sharon
04-04-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't buy the story, or, at least, I have very serious doubts.

Women in Saudi Arabia can't do anything without a male relative's permission. They can't even leave the country. With the stringent Islamic laws, do you really think any male would have allowed this? And even if it did happen, they would probably be stoned once they returned to communities.

Nope -- not buying it.

Honey GG
04-04-2006, 02:53 PM
The ladies on the VIEW talked about this on the show this AM. Barbara Walters said the same thing as Sharon did in her post. I would have to agree with you both- the women in Saudia Arabia would not even be able to get to the airport to take the plane to India, plus where would all the $$ they need for the operations come from? Since women have no rights at all I have no doubt that even if this were true them having the surgery would be enough to get them in serious trouble, probably like a death sentence....
Truly a shame that human beings are treated this way.

Honey

Tamara Croft
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Stoned?? they stone people?? What the hell kind of country is that?? :Angry3: and I thought I had problems :( That's just bloody outrageous.

Ashley in Virginia
04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I agree. I dont think there are rocks in the desert. maybe they get sanded. :p

swiss_susan
04-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Stoned?? they stone people?? What the hell kind of country is that?? :Angry3: and I thought I had problems :( That's just bloody outrageous.

That Is Saudi Arabia our partners in peace! :thumbsdn:

AnnaMaria
04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
While I would have to agree that it would be difficult for a woman in Saudi to transition I don't think that it would be impossible. I would imagine that anyone with enough determination could get just about anything done.

Yes Tamara they do still stone people in Saudi. That being one of the light punishments that they use there. They also behead and remove body parts as a form of punishment depending on the crime. But you also have to consider that the crime rate there is a LOT lower than in the US or UK. I had a friend that served there in '91 and he told me aboutt some of the things that he saw. I won't go into that because it was pretty graphic but believe me when I tell you that I would not go back to that country if I transitiond that is for sure.

huggs
anna