PDA

View Full Version : I finally know why I am this way.

Gillian Gigs
05-28-2021, 03:01 PM
I was seeing a Doctor about an issue that can have depression and sleep issues as a side effect. The Doctor asked me if I would like to see a Psychiatrist, living in Canada, I can get a referral and go at no cost to me. So, what the heck, why not. Within two appt. the Doc asked me to take a test and read a book on a particular subject. Well, did I ever get an eye opener. Why am I sharing this, because this might be you too?

I have been diagnosed with Asperger?s syndrome; many alarm bells went off regarding being a CD?er. Many Aspies have gender issues because of not fitting in with their peers, starting at a young age. Sensory sensitivity issues abound with Aspies, touch for example, which leads to a tactile search to find clothing that feels good against in skin, or comfortable to wear. Many have relationship issues due to communication problems. They tend to be uncomfortable in groups. Most Aspies have an above average intelligence. They develop special interests, which in the case of a CD?er, would be women?s clothing. Many CD?ers own more dresses, skirts, bras, panties, slips, than your typical woman would own. Medical research speculates that 1 in 250 could have Asperger?s and not know it. Many on this site wonder if there are medical reasons behind being a CD?er, there might be? Asperger?s is genetic, someone in the family tree would have it also. Aspies brains are wired different, not weird, just different! Being eccentric, or quirky is typical.

This is meant to be food for thought for all those who are looking at issues that can cause CD?ers to be the way they are. By no means am I attempting to place anyone in a box. I just want to open the door for someone to go looking for their own sake!

Typically, with life other issues clutter things up, making it difficult to get to the root of any situation. This has helped me, maybe it could help you too.

DianeT
05-28-2021, 03:19 PM
Gillian, this is interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

AllieSF
05-28-2021, 03:39 PM
Yes, Thanks for sharing

AndreaCalifCD
05-28-2021, 04:39 PM

christine55
05-28-2021, 05:21 PM
I'm the same. One of the things I envied in girls was their seeming ability to relate to other kids and be popular.

AngelaYVR
05-28-2021, 07:55 PM
I have heard of the link between the two, I very much fit into the description and my son is officially diagnosed with Aspergers (he has shown zero proclivity to CD and he is 21 now). I remain sceptical of any association between autism and CDing and tend to think it is just random chances, the same for anybody.

BLUE ORCHID
05-28-2021, 07:55 PM
Hi Gillian :hugs:, That is very informative and something to think about, >Orchid**o:daydreaming:o**

Allison Chaynes
05-28-2021, 10:12 PM
Interesting, I would have guessed Klinefelter's at first. Now I have to research Asperger's!

Andie
05-28-2021, 11:21 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Gillian Gigs
05-28-2021, 11:38 PM
I'm the same. One of the things I envied in girls was their seeming ability to relate to other kids and be popular.

This is a good example of how boys are drawn toward the girls. They don't fit in with the boys, and are drawn to the caring, ability of relating, and popularity.

AngelaYVR, if your son has it, he would have to have inherit it from either you, or his mother. It's genetic! Asperger's can run from the mild to the extreme.

rachellegsep
05-29-2021, 02:35 AM
Did an online test out of interest 30/50 right on the border line.

SaraLin
05-29-2021, 06:30 AM
I have considered this in the past - and not just because of the CD/trans aspect. Let's just say that I have other "issues" that it could account for.
I had a "really" quirky friend, who went through a very public crossdressing phase himself before moving on to other things (or back into the closet?) - who was later diagnosed with Asperger's.

If I may ask - what is the name of the book?

Pumped
05-29-2021, 09:31 AM
I have often wondered if I am not "wired" right. When I was growing up I was never comfortable playing with other boys. My best friends were girls. In school I hated sports of any type. Often during recess I would go hang out with the girls and then get ridiculed from the boys. My junior year in high school was the last year of phys-ed. I showed up for every class, never dressed and just hung out on the side lines. I passed with a D. I hate large groups, I would rather be with my wife and 1-2 other couples.

Maid_Marion
05-29-2021, 09:40 AM
My wife thought I had Aspergers.

Now, I'm not so sure. Asperger's is social disorder. But, there is a strong gender component to my socializing issues.
Folks get confused with my gender as my body shape, voice, and mannerisms are all female. So that interferes with socializing.
I have a much easier time socializing when presenting as female, as the gender confusion goes away.

Marion

Gillian Gigs
05-29-2021, 09:57 AM
If I may ask - what is the name of the book?

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood.

It can be purchased either online through Amazon, or Indigo. Some Indigos store stock it.

My Psychiatrist uses it all of the time. It's the best book on the subject currently.

giuseppina
05-29-2021, 05:28 PM
Thank you, Gillian. Interestingly, the second result was about how to get a job with Asperger's.

Looking through the list of diagnosis criteria, some of it fits me as well. Some I have learned to deal with on my own. That said, self-diagnosis is always in serious danger of being wrong and best left to a licensed physician, and a psychiatrist in particular.

I found a few studies that suggest up to about 15% correlation of gender dysphoria and Asperger's. Unfortunately, the studies I found suffer from a perennial problem in social science research: not enough subjects for any claims to be statistically significant. That means there is not enough evidence to draw any conclusions that I could find in a quick internet search. It does mean, however, that more and bigger studies are required to determine what, if any, connection exists.

Chances are good that there are some relevant papers in the professional journals and conference records that require payment for access to the full text. I didn't look that far.

As a rough guide, I would like to see at least 1 000 people with Asperger's in several well-designed studies before any conclusions can be drawn. That's 1 000 individuals per study with nobody participating in more than one study, not 1 000 total.

Good science can be replicated.

Mackem Sue
05-30-2021, 05:59 AM
I was seeing a Doctor about an issue that can have depression and sleep issues as a side effect. The Doctor asked me if I would like to see a Psychiatrist, living in Canada, I can get a referral and go at no cost to me. So, what the heck, why not. Within two appt. the Doc asked me to take a test and read a book on a particular subject. Well, did I ever get an eye opener. Why am I sharing this, because this might be you too?

I have been diagnosed with Asperger?s syndrome; many alarm bells went off regarding being a CD?er. Many Aspies have gender issues because of not fitting in with their peers, starting at a young age. Sensory sensitivity issues abound with Aspies, touch for example, which leads to a tactile search to find clothing that feels good against in skin, or comfortable to wear. Many have relationship issues due to communication problems. They tend to be uncomfortable in groups. Most Aspies have an above average intelligence. They develop special interests, which in the case of a CD?er, would be women?s clothing. Many CD?ers own more dresses, skirts, bras, panties, slips, than your typical woman would own. Medical research speculates that 1 in 250 could have Asperger?s and not know it. Many on this site wonder if there are medical reasons behind being a CD?er, there might be? Asperger?s is genetic, someone in the family tree would have it also. Aspies brains are wired different, not weird, just different! Being eccentric, or quirky is typical.

This is meant to be food for thought for all those who are looking at issues that can cause CD?ers to be the way they are. By no means am I attempting to place anyone in a box. I just want to open the door for someone to go looking for their own sake!

Typically, with life other issues clutter things up, making it difficult to get to the root of any situation. This has helped me, maybe it could help you too.

Okay, food for thought. This rings a few potential bells with my own personality. Overeducated (to Ph.D. level), and above average intelligence (unofficial IQ tests place me in the top 1% or 2.5% depending upon which result I consider more accurate - the 1% was a larger question pool), quirky, not fitting in with peers especially in teenage years (I've had to "learn" sociability over the years), etc. seems to be ticking alot of boxes with me.

As a CD'er, I certainly like the more sensuous feel of women's clothing, notably hoisery, panties and slips, the latter of which most proper women rarely wear now but I find enhances the crossdressing experience. And unless I make an effort, other aspects of my life are definitely not the best organised.

I may investigate a little further.

Sue

JennyMay
05-30-2021, 06:36 AM
I find this very intesting. I?ve thought for a long time that I had Aspergers and an online test suggests it is true. I’m a Mensa member and have heard it said, If you’re not on the spectrum someone else took your test! I have recently discovered Temple Grandin. Two quotes from her:

“I am different, not less”

And

“What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the gene pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done.”

MonicaPVD
05-30-2021, 06:44 AM
I took the online Aspergers test and failed miserably. Fortunately, I gave up fretting over why I am this way long ago, when I gave up worrying about having big feet and hands. It was just too much for my head. I'm glad you are finding your way.

Pumped
05-30-2021, 11:28 AM
Yesterday my wife and I were talking about this and I mentioned that I wonder if I have a bit of Asperger's. She just kind of laughed it off and said, "No way!" I mentioned how I am uncomfortable in many settings, heck even going to Home Depot sets me off a bit. Last nigh when we had time to sit down and reax we looked up online tests and I took a couple and in both I rated very high probability that I have the condition.

We went on to discuss different things about it and one thing she mentioned as I worked in outside sales for thirteen years. Cold calls on potential customers and regular stops on existing customers. She asked me how could I have Asperger's and do that? I told her it was pure hell making that first stop on a new customer. I would actually feel ill. Sometimes I would have to park down the street and try relax before I went in. She never realized I put myself through this, I never brought it up. A person needs to eat!

Gillian Gigs
05-30-2021, 03:53 PM
I find this very intesting. I?ve thought for a long time that I had Aspergers and an online test suggests it is true. I?m a Mensa member and have heard it said, If you?re not on the spectrum someone else took your test! I have recently discovered Temple Grandin. Two quotes from her:

?I am different, not less?

And

?What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the gene pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done.?

Dr. Tony Attwood mentions Temple Grandin several times in his material. She has many interesting comments. I have also heard that Mensa comment too.
I would encourage you to get Tony's book, The Complete Guide to Asperger's syndrome. Dr. Attwood is a Brit who was educated Britain and now lives in Australia where he has his practice.

Reading the book will either put your thoughts to rest, or confirm any doubts that you may have. The book has helped we with my self acceptance, self esteem and confidence.

JennyMay
05-31-2021, 05:51 AM
Thanks. I?ll get the book.

Ressie
05-31-2021, 06:46 AM
Interesting. Makes one wonder about other possible influences too.

Alice Torn
05-31-2021, 01:45 PM
Very interesting. I believe i am likely an Aspy. Always different and odd, weird, but try to fit in, and be normal.

suzanne
06-02-2021, 08:58 PM
The happiest CDs in this forum seem to be those who don't waste time analyzing why they have their desires. They just make peace with it and do as they desire. I can come up with many theories about my own situation, including the possibility of undiagnosed autism. But it would just interfere with my enjoyment of putting on that sexy little skirt and selecting all the pieces to go with it.

On the other hand, I used to wonder and theorize as you do now, so I know it's a phase we all go through. With luck, you can soon get yourself through it and allow yourself to enjoy the freedom.

Maria_mtf
06-03-2021, 05:16 AM
Very interesting read. Quick UK test puts me at 21/30, just into the severe category, suggests seeing a GP asap.

However I think these online surveys are a bit generic, I also scored high with depression test and bipolar, at that I stopped taking them.

I imagine you full assesment was a lot more vigorous.

jacques
06-03-2021, 11:23 AM
hello all,
I have often wondered if there is a link between left handedness (right brained being more feminine and intuitive, allegedly), dyslexia and dyspraxia, and cross dressing?
any thoughts?
stay healthy!
luv J

Gillian Gigs
06-03-2021, 11:52 AM
The happiest CDs in this forum seem to be those who don't waste time analyzing why they have their desires. They just make peace with it and do as they desire. I can come up with many theories about my own situation, including the possibility of undiagnosed autism. But it would just interfere with my enjoyment of putting on that sexy little skirt and selecting all the pieces to go with it.

On the other hand, I used to wonder and theorize as you do now, so I know it's a phase we all go through. With luck, you can soon get yourself through it and allow yourself to enjoy the freedom.

I am one of those people who analyze everything. To make peace with myself over the why's and wherefores has been an on going issue. This is one huge sigh of relief for me, I'm not crazy, just different. All of the clothes have had strong lean to the tactile side of things. My love of all things nylon, skirts, lingerie makes sense. I don't do the whole nine yards, it has to do with the feel for the most part. This whole diagnosis has caused a real freedom within me, not to mention my wife. Her acceptance level has increased as she has a deeper understanding of who I am on the inside.

LilSissyStevie
06-03-2021, 11:53 AM
I used to wonder about having Aspergers until I discovered Schizoid Personality "Disorder." Aspergers and SPD share some common characteristics such as be perceived as odd or eccentric by the muggles. I solve that problem by avoiding them as much as possible. That might be one of the main differences. The Aspies I've known and worked with were generally social and friendly. I'm not. I've never been diagnosed with SPD specifically but it wouldn't matter much to me what some doctor said since they are usually wrong in my experience. SPD and autogynephilia seem compatible but not necessarily a cause/effect relationship.

josie_S
06-03-2021, 12:25 PM
This is super interesting--thank you Gillian!

Robin777
06-06-2021, 07:57 PM
hello all,
I have often wondered if there is a link between left handedness (right brained being more feminine and intuitive, allegedly), dyslexia and dyspraxia, and cross dressing?
any thoughts?
stay healthy!
luv J

Being left handed ,I have always wondered if there is a connection. As for the Asperger's test , I took the test from the link as was found to be somewhat on the scale.

GaleWarning
06-06-2021, 10:03 PM
Happy for you, Gillian! :)

Pumped
06-06-2021, 10:15 PM
The happiest CDs in this forum seem to be those who don't waste time analyzing why they have their desires. They just make peace with it and do as they desire.

I am happy with my dressing, more so with my wife accepting. I don't spend much time evaluating why, I just recognize that I like too and it gives me comfort. But I still wonder why I feel "that way" at different times. I get anxious in groups and don't like things out of my normal. I am retired now, but even walking into work in the morning had me on pins and needles. I am not sure that dressing has anything to do with Asperger's, but perhaps there is some connection. I would think you can want to cross dress and not have Asperger's, and have Asperger's and not want to cross dress.

On the other hand I don't feel I need to know for certain if I have some mental or medical issue. For me just acknowledging I have issues is good enough for me. At the most it is a curiosity. I find it may be interesting to know, but I probably with never go see a professional.

GaleWarning
06-11-2021, 03:26 PM
This thread highlights what I consider to be the most important function of this wonderful website - it serves as a platform for informing and enlightening people like you and me, who arrived here with lots of questions.

Thank you, Gillian, for this post. It has probably relieved the minds of many more people than have answered your OP. Sharing is caring. Good on you!

Britney Summers
07-19-2021, 02:52 PM
I match many of the symptoms of it. I have a learning disability, technically called an intellectual disability. The analysis thing is true, I like to follow the pick 3 lottery, and see patterns and I just don't have enough brain power to match 3 numbers, I often get 2 out of 3 right though.

Deborah G
07-19-2021, 04:45 PM
Gillian, Thank you for posting this! I took an on-line test and scored low (17 out of 50). However, I definitely do not follow in other's tracks and tend to be different, sometimes just for the sake of being different. I was a late in life baby for my parents, and as such my next older siblings were 10 years older than me, so I was almost an "only" child. I suspect this may have contributed to my independent nature. I spent alot of time with my older sister, which I imagine influenced my behavior later on, in particular my interest in women's clothes and how it would feel to be dress-up like my sister. I'm not left handed, so that character trait does not fit me. All things considered, I don't know that I would change anything about me or my behavior, but it is interesting to understand why.

MarinaTwelve200
07-19-2021, 06:38 PM
I am a bit "Aspergery" myself. I don't blame my CD on it though. being a writer, musician, artist and scientist and a wide variety of other skills are advantages of the condition. My CD is a way to "take a vacation from myself" be someone else and totally relax and unwind.

Missy Dawn
07-19-2021, 07:27 PM
My oldest son is also "Aspergery"! He's in his late 30'snow. He's one of the smartest people I've known in my life so I fully understand why you have so many talents yourself. I also think that you're a beautiful woman.
Peace and Love

jennspadeCD
07-23-2021, 09:11 PM
I have been told that i have aspergers- i think i do also- i was always a very different kind of person- very non-mainstream- i first started experimenting with CD since 14 years old. I sometimes try to just go with what whats "normal" and try to find a girl. but i always realize the normal route a normal person would take is not my route or path. I am most comfortable with just appearing as male and only CD occasionally, but since i always shave my body and have a large wardrobe of women's clothes etc.. it makes you realize you cant just go and do what the rest of society does.

Missy Dawn
07-23-2021, 10:10 PM
Jenn,
The question to me now at this point in my life what the hell is normal. I'm so tired of what someone else trying to tell me to conform to what they think is appropriate. I've even come across it on this site. I've played the game of what society and religions say I should do. You're a beautiful woman and a beautiful human being. My son suffered as a child not fitting in because of his Asperger's and now as an adult he's finding his own path too. Live the way you feel most comfortable and screw what anyone else thinks. I know this isn't always possible. Just keep loving yourself.
Peace and Love
Missy :Peace:

Brynna M
07-28-2021, 09:49 PM
My wife would agree with you even without considering CDing. Like most things some of it fits some of it doesn't. I like my psychiatrist in that he's not to interested in labels so much as tool boxes. Whether or not i really fit the text book definition of any particular disorder if some of it fits maybe some of the tools to help will too. Do what works. Don't get too hung up on a particular labels.

Leslie Mary S
07-28-2021, 10:48 PM
until I read up on Asperger's syndrome I never knew I had the problem. I do strongly lock down on an interest. I have trouble communicating with people face to face. I can not translate unspoken body signs and try to guide the conversation into my "safe" zone/subjects. I am excessive about "western Square Dancing", trains and model railroading, art, and Photography. I am not a expert in any of my interests.

Chelsea B
07-28-2021, 11:18 PM
Really interesting. I find that your core description really resonates for me, and describes very well my path. However, Aspergers has never occurred to me. Food for thought.