PDA

View Full Version : makeup - the fundamentals

Vallari
11-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Well, Ive been doing research on make up all over the net and have learned quite a lot. Im on the verge of going to a store and getting some basic things to start practing with :o . But im not sure where to start - like, I know u wash your face, etc, then apply foundation first and so on, but I guess im looking for a list or something. By list I mean a basic list of makeup items to get started with - including everything u need to prepare, apply it and remove it. Does anyone know af any such lists? Sorry if this may seem like a goofy question but Im just trying to find a starting place to work from :o .

Any help or wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
-Rachel

chocolateboygirl
11-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Well, Ive been doing research on make up all over the net and have learned quite a lot. Im on the verge of going to a store and getting some basic things to start practing with :o . But im not sure where to start - like, I know u wash your face, etc, then apply foundation first and so on, but I guess im looking for a list or something. By list I mean a basic list of makeup items to get started with - including everything u need to prepare, apply it and remove it. Does anyone know af any such lists? Sorry if this may seem like a goofy question but Im just trying to find a starting place to work from :o .

Any help or wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
-Rachel

I've been buying makeup for a while now and I don't know of any list, per se, but I do know that your local library probably has lots of reference material on makeup. There are lots of books for makeup artists out there that give the basics. However, I guess the basics would be a good moisturizer cream, which can also be used to remove makeup, a good foundation (I use a sheer MAC foundation because I don't like the caked-on look and I have really good skin, also I prefer powder over liquid), some good applicators (a real brush for eyeshadow, not one of those crappy applicators, plus those little triangular sponges are great!), eyeliner (I like liquid better than pencil), eyeshadow (in multiple colours!), tweezers to pluck, an eyelash curler, maybe some blush (though brown looks better on my skin), a number of shades of lipstick, etc..

The secret to makeup is to also realize that there is a day look and a night look. A day look is lighter and less dramatic, but you can get away with a lot more makeup at night.. especially those dramatic smoky eyes!

hope that helps..

ta!
cbg

Tamara Croft
11-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Hiya WacoTXGurl

I used this site to help me train as a beauty therapist. I would love to make a site like this eventually when I have some more time....children tend to take up most of it!! But the site is great and gives you all the information you could possibly need about preparing your skin ready for make-up.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/srowe1/

Wenda
11-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Hey Waco!! good to hear from you. I bought 'the make-up book' by joy terri. I think I understood most of it. wenda.

Sharon
11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
I've been visiting a lot of different sites: Covergirl, Renee Reyes.com, and many others that aren't coming to mind. I think it was Covergirl, or maybe Mac that helped with skin color and matching it to blush, shadow, etc. Or maybe it was Revlon?

EdenOVay
11-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Rachel,
Makeup and I have been friends for a few years. I started with black shoe polish for eye liner at 14 or so. (Bad idea!) There are some good books, and a lot of info online. Basic skin care should be first priority. It is easier to look good if you aren't trying to hide sun/wind damage or plain old dry skin. The next thing is a well defined goal, do you want a natural, dramatic, or whatever look, or are you going for the drag/ celebrity impersonation thing.

For basic makeup and skin care you can buy (or check out from a library) your girl-friend, or little sister any of a number of books from the health and beauty section. I have "Womans Face'" published by Chic Simple. It does have a list of basic tools and products.

For a wider range of looks styles and techniques there is "Making Faces" and "Face Forward" By Kevyn Aucoin. Face Forward actualy has a couple examples of MtoF makeup transformations.

For the seriouse image alteration there is "Stage Makeup" By Richard Corson. This is an all-out theatrical makeup training manual. Prosthetics, wigs, period stuff, the whole bit.

Online, Grae Phillips has makeup and body-enhancing tips. http://www.graephillips.com/
As does, http://www.dragdiva.com/foundation_tips.htm

Personally, I like to go with the Cindy Crawford-"less is more" approach.
The less foundation and conceiler you need the better your end result will be.(Skin streatches, Makeup clumps and cracks).
Mostly, find your best features,emphasize them. Minimize what you don't like, experiment and have fun. There is no formulae that works best for everyone and my observation has been that you will like the results best with time and practice on yourself.
Oh Yes, any current issue of Cosmo is full of tips and suggestions, plus, you will look more up to date. (A big secret to passing is to blend with your percieved age group. And, there are some very flattering syles coming out now. (Thank god for retro!) You're young, enjoy it while it lasts.
Good luck, Eden

Lily_gg
11-03-2004, 04:11 AM
Good cleanser and then moisturiser, to make sure your skin is all prepped and lovely - think of painting a wall - it needs to be clean and smooth to start with. At this point, smooth your lips with a dry toothbrush (rub it across them to loosen any dead skin), then put on piles of lip balm.

Then foundation if you want to wear it, or maybe use a tinted moisturiser if foundation is too heavy (I hate the feeling of foundation, you can make your own tinted moisturiser by mixing moisturiser with foundation. That way you have full-strength foundation for when you want it - some people wear tinted for day, full foundation for evening).

Then concealer - dab it carefully, so as not to disturb the foundation base. You will now have a completely blank canvas - like painting a base coat onto a wall. Now you're ready for the colour coat.... :D

I then tend to put on my blusher, because that shapes the face - smile, and the bit of your cheeks that sticks out furthest is the 'apple' - dust or smudge your blusher over the apple (I use cream blusher because I find it easier not to mess up :p )

Eyes: eyeshadow, then liner, then lashings of mascara. If you're curling your eyelashes, do it before mascara, and warm the curlers with a hairdryer or similar for the best results. A good eyeshadow brush is the one thing I could not live without - I barely use my other make up brushes, but that one is in constant use. A brush gives much better finish than the little foam applicators too. White pencil on the inside (nose side) of your eyes brightens them a bit if they're looking tired too. Oh, and black eye liner doesn't really suit anyone in a 'natural' way, so if you're not going for the goth look (which can be very fun and very sexy, but takes a lot more work!), a coloured liner is a great bet, also different coloured pencils will make your eyes look slightly different colours, for example purple brings out the green...

Lips - should be nice and smooth and moisturised by now. Wipe off any remaining lip balm. You can get lip primers, but they're often very pricey, an alternative is to put foundation across your lips, then your first coat of lipstick, blot with a tissue, keep the tissue on your lips and dust loose powder through it, then second coat of lippie. OR colour in your lips with lip-liner, and put lippie on top of that. Or cheat, like me, and use just coloured lip glosses... If you're using lippie, a dab of clear gloss in the middle of your lower lip will give you a killer pout - several coats of my rich red lippie, then clear gloss, and my boyfriend can't leave me alone :D

Oh, and a word of caution: once you start playing with make-up, you'll be hooked, spend a fortune, and end up with a make-up bag that's too big to be hand luggage :D

Sharon
11-03-2004, 04:55 AM
Tamara:
I just checked out the link you provided. Thanks so much. Maybe now I'll learn something.

CindyB
11-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Rachel,
I know a Mary Kay rep in the Austin area that works with TG's. She is fabulous! Her name is Lisa and her email is lisa4mk@austin.rr.com or call her at 512-837-5420. Her website is Lisa Walling (http://www.marykay.com/lwalling)

She has a studio in her house and will give you a free makeover, matching your colors, skin type, etc. You're not obligated to buy anything. Contact her. I cannot recommend her enough!