PDA

View Full Version : not a C/D ?.

joannejoanne
04-04-2006, 01:44 PM
I have always been anti tagging, affixing a name to something you do and being stereotyped. I am NOT a crossdresser, I am NOT a Transvestite, I am not mentally disable, I am NOT anything else they wish to tag me with because I WANT and desire to dress has a woman. I am ME and i will let nobody change or stereotype us in any way. Sorry about that outburst, I was listening to a radio show in the car today were the presenter was so flippant towards C/D, i pulled over and attempted to phone up but couldn't get through. As anyone else had a sinilar experience which as left them angry.:straightface:

Maria D
04-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Names are helpful. How do you refer to a tin of beans if it has no name to be referred to?
I am TS, because I am, not because of the label. Misuse of the labels is the problem, not labels themselves.

Angry? Yeah, I get angry when people use any 'anti other people' language and when they are bigotted. When someone refers to gays, CDs, different races, etc, as 'them' in a negative way, I tend to not be a person you want in the room.
Be what you are, do what you want, as long as you don't try and hurt anyone. I think that's just fair.

Take care :)

claire angie
04-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Names are helpful. How do you refer to a tin of beans if it has no name to be referred to?
I am TS, because I am, not because of the label. Misuse of the labels is the problem, not labels themselves.

Angry? Yeah, I get angry when people use any 'anti other people' language and when they are bigotted. When someone refers to gays, CDs, different races, etc, as 'them' in a negative way, I tend to not be a person you want in the room.
Be what you are, do what you want, as long as you don't try and hurt anyone. I think that's just fair.

Take care :)
joanne, i am with maria on this one i am a TV/CD and thats it . the whole point is that no matter were you go their will always be the biggots, and thats all down to their upbringing and lack of a good education. so just be you as i am me. claire xx

joannejoanne
04-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks girls, i understand the labels and have lived with them for 38 years now, i actually feel the bigotry is more apparent now than 30 years ago or its me showing signs of age. I just hope one day we will be understood and allowed our deserved freedom.

Sharon
04-04-2006, 02:19 PM
One way to fight bigotry is to admit who we are and what we are. Labels, as limiting as they are, do serve a purpose.

EricaCD
04-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I think it's fair to say that the bigotry is "noisier" now, but I have had the benefit of reading plenty of posts from our more senior sisters here and I can't imagine that the bigotry is in any way worse. A generation ago even cutting edge psychologists would have considered us deviant, and the more liberal elements of our society would have considered us depraved. Now I am not saying that the condescending concern of modern psychology makes for crossdressing paradise, nor does our regular relegation to sideshow curiosity in popular culture. But I think that the overall degree of tolerance - if not understanding - for the entire transgendered community has come a long way in a generation.

Fire away!
Erica

Julie Avery
04-04-2006, 02:37 PM
i actually feel the bigotry is more apparent now than 30 years ago

I don't want to confuse the gay issue with the crossdressing issue, but a comparison between the two helps explain, I think, this thing you're seeing.

40 years ago there were no pastors railing from the pulpit or on the airwaves, no political parties agitating, about the evils of homosexuality because it was universally publicly condemned, and even private homosexual conduct was against the law, "criminal." Today there's a lot of railing going on, a lot of open bigotry, and it's precisely because gays have made so much progress in achieving some legally guaranteed rights.

Something similar though slower is perhaps happening with cd/tg people today.

Meanwhile, I get as angry as anyone at times, but I hope never to become bitter, we need to guard against that, imho.

Anita Mae GG
04-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I had the experience of going out with Danielle in drab to check out this cd meeting. We just went to check out the atmosphere and see how the meeting went. We did not introduce ourselves to the other CD'ers just had a few drinks at the bar etc. This was at a Crowne Plaza Hotel bar by the way. Anyhow there was this guy there on our side of the room making comments to his wife about the crossdressers that were there, saying "that is just wrong" and staring etc. REALLY made me mad and made me feel really bad for anyone of any "out of the norm" characteristics. They have to put up with so much. Also it pissed me off cuz that could have been MY husband over there with those ladies and to think that someone would say things about my kind and sweet husband made me mad. :Angry3: :Angry3:

joannejoanne
04-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Good thread Tammy, I don't mind people learing at me or even commenting to me face to face, but get angry but get very angry when some faceless twit thinks he knows the answer to all and the bigotry he created in that one hour on air, and it was interesting that all the callers were against it, no doubt vetted for the programme, i think thats why i was boiling over.My usual saying when questioned on it is ' please don't knock it until you have tried it yourself '.

Marla S
04-04-2006, 03:05 PM
It is easier not to think about it and to judge, than to think it through and to form an opinion about.
That will never change.:Angry3:

LindaTS
04-05-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm with Maria and Claire on this. I'm a TS and was born this way. I love who I am and have no regrets. Well, maybe just one. I wish I had found out who I was a long time ago. Labels, who needs them?

joannejoanne
04-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Calmed down now decided not to listen to that radio station again. I will keep my tags & labels and they can call me whatever they like because inside me i know what and who i am and if the bigots don't want to know it's their loss.