PDA

View Full Version : We are Grandparents ! ...... But ..........

Kelly DeWinter
08-13-2021, 08:56 PM
Jeannie and I are Grandparents !

We have a Grandson ! All of the Grandparents have selected what we want to be called and thankfully there are no overlaps. Since the parents don't yet know Kelly and probably never will, I still feel a bit let out of the naming of the "Grans"
Has anyone else addressed this ? How have you resolved it ? What name did you end up with ?

Geena75
08-13-2021, 09:19 PM
I'm probably in about the same boat, only down below in a dark closet. My grandsons call me "papa" or "grandpa." They have a wonderful grandma already, so no need for Geena (She looks to young to be a grandma, anyway).

Christie ann
08-13-2021, 09:30 PM
Congratulations all around. There is no way I am going to stand in the way of my wife’s fantastic job of being a grandmother. I could not keep up. If our grand kids ever meet Christy it will either be a mistake on my part, or way in the future.

You already know this. enjoy them, they grow up so fast.

bridget thronton
08-14-2021, 04:40 AM
I ended up with being called Gram (which my mother used with my kids) and my wife is called Grammie (which was what I called my grandmothers)

Congratulations on the new grandbaby

Teri Ray
08-14-2021, 07:25 AM
Congratulations Kelly,

Grandkids are a great blessing. Let them call you what they may just as long as you get to be part of their lives. Best wishes. My wife and I are Gammy and Pappy to our grandkids.

Judy-Somthing
08-14-2021, 08:00 AM
I went through the same thing but until my grandson can talk I won't know he'll call me!

jacques
08-14-2021, 08:31 AM
hello Kelly,
I wanted to be called "Grumps"
luv J

CarlaWestin
08-14-2021, 09:05 AM
The fun way is to let your grandchild pick the name. That will be precious and endearing.
Incidentally, I heard a stage performer once say, "Who in the audience here has grandchildren?"
After the folks raised their hands he added, "Don't you wish you could have had them first?"

BLUE ORCHID
08-14-2021, 02:29 PM
Hi Kelly :hugs:, My 27 Year old Grand daughter started calling me Poppy when she first learned to talk
and to this day she still calls me Poppy, And I wouldn't have it any other way.

>>>>>>Orchid**o:daydreaming:o**

GracieRose
08-14-2021, 08:29 PM
My children and grandchildren do not know Gracie, so my wife (who is a fantastic grandma) has the Grandma title wrapped up.
My one granddaughter started calling me Papa when she started to speak, and the others picked up on it. I'm content with that.

Suzih
08-15-2021, 12:59 AM
Kelly, Congratulations on the new addition to your family.
SuziH

Stephanie47
08-15-2021, 02:07 AM
My son and daughter gave us grandchildren seventeen years apart. Why the oldest started with "poppa" I don't know, but, the youngest just followed along. Grandma is grandma to both.

OrdinaryAverageGuy
08-15-2021, 04:27 AM
So far I'm Gampa. I don't know if the R will be added at some point or not. My wife is Gam Gam.
He's seen me in a skirt and/or feminine top several times and doesn't seem to care. He's 3. :)

Debs
08-15-2021, 04:48 AM
Congratulations !!, I am called Gangad, lol

giuseppina
08-15-2021, 07:23 PM
Congrats, Kelly.

Grandchildren are capable of asking embarrassing questions. :heehee:

Mermaiden
08-16-2021, 06:01 AM
I?m grand dad, my wife is Mimi. When the grand kids were little I?d put my panties on in front of them, but as they become aware of gender dressing, and have good language skills, I remain discreet.
We have 6 grandchildren. So much fun!

Adriana
08-23-2021, 06:27 PM
Congrats Kelly! I'm a new grandparent as well and want to be called Papaw, but as others have said it will be up to my grandson on what he calls me.

Rachelakld
08-24-2021, 01:47 AM
I'm happy with granddad even when fully dressed (I don't normally wear the wig at home as it confuses him a bit).
The nice thing about granddads is we can play fight, play in mud, do painting stuff (often including ourselves).
Grandma teaches him to bake etc.

Leslie Mary S
08-24-2021, 02:01 AM
Remember The Grand parent duty list:
Rule 1. Love the grandchildren and grandchildren's parents.
Rule 2. It is our responsibility to spoil all grand children, specially your own.
Rule 3. Support the training of the grandchild's mentor as long as it doesn't violate the 2nd rule..
Rule 4. double up on rules 1 and 2.

Davina2833
08-24-2021, 04:00 AM
Adriana,

Your shoes are beautiful....love the pointy toes!

Davina

Angela Marie
08-24-2021, 07:12 AM
I'm grandpa. My children or grandchildren do not know. That's ok, my love for them is far greater than my need to be Angela. My view is that there are priorities in life and my relationship with them is number 1. How would they react. I have an idea but i'm to willing to put my own desires above my relationship with them.

Joyce Swindell
08-24-2021, 08:25 AM
If I need to smile I just think of my grandchildren.

My oldest grandchild gave me a birthday card long ago. I'm sure her mom helped pick it out but it still holds a great memory.

The card basically stated that I was too cool of a grandpa to be called Grandpa and gave me a choice of names to be called. I don't remember what the two choices were but I chose "Jiggy".

So now 4 out of the 5 call me Jiggy. The 5th is still new to this world.

Sarah Doepner
08-24-2021, 11:35 AM
Congratulations Kelly and Jeannie, I wish you nothing but the best as grandparents.

I was a grandparent before I was out and well before I started my transition, so inertia plays a big part in my name. My kids called me Dad, Pops or Faja. Grandkids when they came along called me Poppa Dave.

As it stands now I've had a legal name and gender change and live full time as Sarah. My Kids call me Dad, Father, Sarah or SarBear. For the most part my grandkids call me Poppa Sarah, while some of the oldest just call me Sarah. The Great Grands can't talk much yet, so I think they will pick up what they hear from others.

Adriana
08-24-2021, 12:04 PM
Thanks Davina! They are very fun :)

candykowal
08-24-2021, 03:02 PM
Well I never had children in the 27 years of our marriage so Grandbabies are out of the question for me.
Consider yourself blessed.
You do bring up an interesting topic and I started thinking what I would like to be called if I was in that situation.
I remember calling my fathers grandma Busia, a Polish term, and Grannie for my Moms mother, she didn't like that.
I think we were influenced by the TV show Beverly Hillbillies.
I really like the nickname "Tootsie" if I had grandkids who interacted with me while I presented as a female lady.
Another cute one would be "Birdie."
Here is a link to a article (https://www.grandmagazine.com/2015/11/most-common-nicknames-for-grandparents/) on the subject.

Brynna M
08-24-2021, 08:54 PM
Congratulations! (beyond that I have no advice to offer.) :)

kayegirl
08-25-2021, 01:36 AM
With nine grandchildren I am either Grandpa or Popsy, either will do. I'm not sure if any of them know about Kaye, their parents do, but it's not something that we talk about. But one of life's greatest pleasures is to be greeted with a hug by all of them, even the 14 years old boy.