PDA

View Full Version : Interesting profile of a FTM artist

Marlena Dahlstrom
04-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Something else (http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=36094) for you guys.

One interesting observation from the author, which I've heard of before about some FTMs.

He seems to miss being androgynous more than being feminine. On his right arm, he has a tattoo of one of the Janus-faced, ambisexual animated characters from Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and at times, he's made the ambiguity of his gender an explicit part of his art. You get a sense that he finds being a man less exotic than being a mysterious individual who transcends rigid social constructs, and keeps a foot in both camps.

Marlena Dahlstrom
04-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Where do you find these gems?

Search (http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/search?p=transgender&c=) and ye shall find. :cool:

CaptLex
04-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Something else (http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=36094) for you guys.

Wow, great article, Marlena! It answers a lot of questions for me. I liked this quote, especially:

Feeling at ease in his male identity, Turner continually wonders just what kind of man he's becoming. "You'd think that if I became a man, I'd bulk up and go all out. But it turns out I'm sort of this metrosexual pansy -- what the hell is that?"
LOL! I can totally relate to that. ;)

One thing I've noticed from my weekly support group and from this article is how many TGs seem to be artistic/creative. Pretty cool - maybe it's so we can use this gift to educate the rest of the world, like Turner is doing.

I can also relate to Turner's feelings about androgyny. I'm coming to realize that even if I fully transition, I don't think I'll ever feel 100% male. Because I've lived so many years as a female, I think I will always feel at least partly androgynous, but I think I can live with that (as long as I look like a boy).

Thanks again. It's true, you always find good stuff to share with the class. :D

Fainne the King
04-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Wow, great article, Marlena! It answers a lot of questions for me. I liked this quote, especially:

Feeling at ease in his male identity, Turner continually wonders just what kind of man he's becoming. "You'd think that if I became a man, I'd bulk up and go all out. But it turns out I'm sort of this metrosexual pansy -- what the hell is that?"
LOL! I can totally relate to that. ;)

One thing I've noticed from my weekly support group and from this article is how many TGs seem to be artistic/creative. Pretty cool - maybe it's so we can use this gift to educate the rest of the world, like Turner is doing.

I can also relate to Turner's feelings about androgyny. I'm coming to realize that even if I fully transition, I don't think I'll ever feel 100% male. Because I've lived so many years as a female, I think I will always feel at least partly androgynous, but I think I can live with that (as long as I look like a boy).

Thanks again. It's true, you always find good stuff to share with the class. :D
Wow, that's exactly how I feel. I think it's kind of strange, since most of the MTF seems to want to be ultra feminine, and I really have no desire to be a "man's man", I'm more of a feminine guy. I think some people may think that that invalidates my feelings of being transgendered, they'll say "why can't you just be a masculine girl if you still are feminine." Well, that's where I feel that I'm maybe more androgynous than anything, but I would rather see myself as a boy. Dunno, gender really is slippery.