PDA

View Full Version : wig/no wig

Allie
04-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey everyone,
has anyone else here found that they look more feminine/passable with no wig than with one? That seems to be the case with myself.

Genifer Teal
04-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Wigs can be fun. You can change color & style in an instant by putting on a different wig. Real hair can not be changed as quickly or frequently. Many wigs (especially the cheap ones) have a difficult time passing for real hair. This is why reall hair often looks more passible.

I like the realness of not wearing a wig. Real hair makes me feel less like I'm wearing a costume when I'm enfemme and more like I'm just being me. I think people take my look more seriously with real hair but many don't take me any more seriusly than with a wig. I could write a whole post on the phycology of not wearing a wig but I'll save that for another time. Real hair looks more passible because is doesn't look fake.

Hugs - Genifer

ashlee chiffon
04-05-2006, 09:30 PM
if the faces and hair on your pics are your natural selves, i can see why you think that!
some gals need the full hair wig to cover parts of their notsofem faces, though...
wish we all could just let it grow, but with most of us, wigs are a necessity...
nice concept, though!:cheeky:

Francine
04-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Not in my case.
I have one of those 'male pattern baldness hair styles'.
Without a wig, I would be most definitely not 'pass.
And because of my height, I feel I would have a hard time 'passing' even with the wig.
But because of some statments on message boards here regarding tall women, maybe I'm being too difficult on myself.

Francine

Cherry Lynn
04-05-2006, 09:34 PM
I do not see very many bald women so I think I probably need to wear one of the 4 wigs I own.

Bernice
04-05-2006, 09:56 PM
In the early 80's I let my hair grow really long again. I went out that way a couple times enfemme with no wig. It was wonderful, and much less uncomfortably hot than a wig. I had to curl some, and use hairspray. But my hair is so baby fine and limp. Then I got a real job, so there went keeping long hair. Nowadays, I look almost military without a wig, and getting some grey now, which is too old for some of my hemlines, hence my 7 wigs.

Hugs,

Bernice

Allison1
04-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Undoubtedly, for me a wig. As I get older, and my hair gets thinger and grayer, My auburn wig looks better on me than ever. ally

JeanneF
04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Many wigs (especially the cheap ones) have a difficult time passing for real hair. This is why reall hair often looks more passible.

Very, very true. Up until I finally dropped the money on a high quality wig, I never felt that I looked good. The cheap wigs are so thick, it's like horse hair, and just doesn't look real. A good wig, as long as it's a style that fits your face, should be every bit as convincing as real hair. When I put on either of my two good wigs without makeup, I look like a roadie for an 80s metal band...IMO that's a good thing, it means it fits me well.

I'd love to use my real hair, but I work at a very conservative company, and I don't think long hair would go over too well. :(

Denise01
04-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Without a wig I would not pass at all, but with my wig, i have been told by a couple of gg's i Know that i pass very well.

When i bought my wig, I did get a good one. Went to a lady that specializes in wigs, and does a lot for ladies who are cancer patients and have lost their hair. That is the quality i got.
This lady is also very accepting of the TG community, and accordingly she does very well from us

Denise

Barb Valentine
04-05-2006, 10:48 PM
being bald a wig is a must
but passing that's a different story
( maybe if I had a cousin IT wig ) :lol:

crusadergirl
04-05-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't like having growing out long hair so i would say a wig is better for me.
Plus as a guy i like my hair short and spiked up and as i a girl i like my hair long. So yeah a wig is better for me.

Raise UP Put you hands together and fight for your right to Party!

Rachaelgirl39
04-05-2006, 11:48 PM
I can honestly say I prefer natural hair I have worn a wig before but found it just gets to hot and doen't flow naturally like real hair. Guess I am lucky that I am able to grow mine out now down to just past shoulder. Also I found using a hair straightening iron really is amazing makes it look longer and feels incredibly soft I recomend it. Plus I can put in girls style ponytail

Jennaie
04-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Since I don't have much hair left, I don't think so.

Mandy Salamander
04-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Wiggs bugg me!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but without one i could maybe try t' pass as that bald-headed, alien girly on th' first star trek movie!!

Eugenie
04-06-2006, 01:17 AM
I can honestly say I prefer natural hair I have worn a wig before but found it just gets to hot and doen't flow naturally like real hair. Guess I am lucky that I am able to grow mine out now down to just past shoulder. Also I found using a hair straightening iron really is amazing makes it look longer and feels incredibly soft I recomend it. Plus I can put in girls style ponytail

How wonderful, I envy you... I used to have such a long hair and even beautiful curls that GGs were looking at with envy (I know they were telling me...) and that even though I was in my male role.

I most enjoyed the feeling of my own hair on my shoulders, touching my hair was a great feeling too.

Unfortunately, with the passing of time, the dreaded bald spot on my skul became ever larger :sad:

So now I have to live with the burden of wearing a wig. I say burden as I live in a warm region and except in winter a wig is rather unconfortable.

So for me it is no longer a matter of choice, In order to look like a woman, I need a wig. I don't try to use a long hair as most women my age tend to keep their hair short. And my main goal is to be and behave as much like women my age and size.

Love from France

Eugenie

Zelda Noe
04-06-2006, 02:35 AM
Allie:wave2:

My own natural hair wouldn't cut it at all...one...it's too short...two...it's too gray...three...it looks like a male cut...four...it's getting much more thinner these days.

There are two things which define's Dandy's look...the makeup on my face and my long hair wigs. I'd love to get a real expensive human hair wig custom fit to my face shape. But thats alot of money I don't have to spend right now.

Glad you can pass in femme, without one...how lucky you are.

Dandy:happy: ;)

Teresa Amina
04-06-2006, 07:51 AM
My 50 year old head doesn't have much hair on top, the sides are half grey. Oooooh, I love my long dark brown wig! Has always been part of that Teresa inside me, can't imagine a much shorter Do with grey in it. Why look your age? I see women everyday in their 50s who dye their hair and look Damn Good!

Josi
04-06-2006, 08:19 AM
The last things I put on when dressing are my wig, then my lippy ...

Without either I am "not finished". With both I can take on the world! lol ;)

PennieS
04-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Although I own 1 wig, I use my own full head of hair, which I have worn long to midlength for most of my adult life. I have always had rather feminate looking hairstyles. I have bery little trouble passing as a woman when dressed and makeup. Even the one stylist I went to years ago thought at first I was a woman. Altough 15-20 years ago it was much easier to pass then today, real hair does make it much easier for any CDer to blend in with the crowd. I also believe that many CDers are to concious about their looks. If you look arround you sometime in a mall or a crowd with a lot of people, there are a lot of genetic girls out there who do not look that girly and could use some tips from us.:p

Ranee Daze
04-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Than real hair attached to a real scalp. Before I stupicly cut my long blonde locks tree years ago I got braids, corn rows, roller sets, ringlets, updos..colours.....If you can make the transition, your own natural hair will always look better than a wig if you are passing, but if you want to go beyond into the surreal world of glamour you can try wigs or add-ons...

Sam-antha
04-06-2006, 02:08 PM
I would love to be able to be wigless. Sadly the length/quantity/colour is preventing me going out without my wig.
Even if I had no need for one, I imagine that I wold prefer havding and using one. It is part of the fun of dressing and changing character. Like shoes.
PS I still have my first one, blonde, pageboy, and surprisingly form China,
Samm

Pink Satin
04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I used not to wear a wig because I have always worn my hair long, but then it started thinning:sad: so I cut the rest of it off

Phyliss
04-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I am gonna NEED a wig. My head looks like Friar Tuck, and it's gray almost white.
As it turns out I stopped into a place called Wigs Galore today just to start getting some information about them, and to kinda get a sense of how the shop keeper would react.
The lady who met me at the counter asked if she could help and I got "cold feet". I began asking about wigs in general and she asked if it was to be for me. I said "Yes" But what I was looking for was some information in general. Trying to steer the conversation to lady's wigs she missed the hints and said that she would be right back. She re-appeared with Thomas the owner. He began to fit me for a male hair piece or if I wanted he could make me a full coverage wig. Being trapped now I had to go through the entire sales pitch. All I wanted was to leave, but being polite I let him go on.
After talking to him a bit he said, "I remember you." Turns out that he worked in a barber shop next door to where I had my business ten years ago. Now I was really stuck as he went on about the "good ole times"
I guess my wig search will have go back on hold for awhile. At least until I find another store.

Joy Carter
04-08-2006, 12:50 PM
In the early seventies I had hair to the sholders just loved it but had to tie it back because it was in the way at work. But once at home I let it down and I just loved it sleeping on it was heaven. Mrs. knew about me then and she was not thrilled about my long locks so I cut it after about two years and because of balding, well we know where I'm at. So now looking at wigs and need a larger size. I spent hours on the net and found it a fruitless search. Then in small print I saw a statement " If larger sizes are needed see a local wig shop". So has anybody done any business with them +? What should I be looking for I'm willing to buy a good one just not an expensive one. And also I have a large neck I don't think a Dorthy Hamel look would look so great on me (Dose On Her) and I'm mature in age (50's) so what if it is a long style +?

Donna Delite
04-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Without question I look more fem with a wig. Plus to me the wig is part of the total "look" I want.

sparks
04-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I just miss my wavey waist length hair! I want to grow it back but the wife won't let me.

Julie Avery
04-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I have two really shabby wigs. I'm growing my own hair, thin spot be damned. It's more "me, as I really am".

wendy
04-10-2006, 08:28 AM
I've done both. Before my first purge I used to dress up but with no wig, and looking in the mirror, I felt it was more man than woman. But wearing a wig now, I look more like a female dressed up.:happy: