PDA

View Full Version : Just wear some nylons

Stiletto Gurl
11-25-2021, 07:11 AM
My wife and I were attending an outdoor function that required us to be dressed up. It was very cold up here in Canada that day, and I remarked that I was going to freeze wearing my thin dress pants with the wind and cold that day. Her response was ?just wear your nylons underneath, they?ll help a little bit??..

I love my wife. ☺️

Debs
11-25-2021, 07:19 AM
And did she allow you to wear makeup ?

Jolene Robertson
11-25-2021, 07:25 AM
I used to wear nylons all the time when snow skiing, they do help some and of course felt great.

kimdl93
11-25-2021, 07:37 AM
Its not like I need an excuse to wear nylons or tights, but I do enjoy the approach of cooler weather each year.

Debbie Denier
11-25-2021, 08:50 AM
Nylons are great and effective at this time of year.

Cheryl T
11-25-2021, 08:52 AM
I was working some 10 years ago and I would wear shorts up until Thanksgiving.
I was at a customer's and the receptionist asked if my legs weren't cold in the shorts and I replied they were a little chilly but not bad. She then suggested perhaps I should try pantyhose to help keep them warm and I said maybe I should try that.
If she only knew...

BTWimRobin
11-25-2021, 09:04 AM
Cheryl, you never know she might have suspected something.

I commented once to a female co-worker about adding a layer of pantyhose under my thermals for additional warmth. She rolled her eyes, laughed, and said they don't keep you warm. We worked in the ski industry and were outside all day in the elements.

Geena75
11-25-2021, 09:50 AM
Pantyhose under thermal underwear under outerwear can be a little too much and make you sweat, which will make you feel colder. Otherwise, it does feel warmer (unless it's just the excitement causing increased circulation).

NancySue
11-25-2021, 09:58 AM
This is so true. A couple of my friends wear pantyhose or thigh highs when they go fall hunting or fishing. I wear either daily, regardless of the weather. Slipping them on every morning, starts my day off with a smile. Of course, other items follow.

alwayshave
11-25-2021, 10:06 AM
I wear pantyhose under dress pants during the winter, have for a long time.

Sometimes Steffi
11-25-2021, 10:18 AM
First time diving in a wetsuit. I had trouble pulling them on. Someone said try wearing pantihose under them. It makes them pull on much easier.

I would have loved to have an excuse, but I was so deep into denial, there's no way I would have done that.

Besides, back then, I didn't know about TV or CD {which wasn't even a word then). I thought if you wore pantihose that it meant that you were gay. And, back then, "gay" meant "happy". A much more vulgar word was uses to refer to homosexuals.

Brenda Freeman
11-25-2021, 11:30 AM
When I was in college I stayed at my Grandma's over the Winter Holiday in the cold part of eastern Oregon. I was getting ready to go out and she said put on your long underwear I said I did not have them and she handed me a pair of pantyhose. Was surprised but put them on. Yes they helped especially in the wind and yes they felt wonderful. Loved my grandma, learned so much from her she was a practical straight forward strong woman.

rachellegsep
11-25-2021, 02:33 PM
Also work well under biking jeans in winter.

Kitty Sue
11-25-2021, 07:28 PM
While I do love nylons and hose I don't find them overly effective in keeping my legs warm. I generally wear them due to how they make my legs look and feel rather than keeping me warm.

scpantyhose
11-25-2021, 08:57 PM
It really depends on the type of nylons you wear. Anything that has a high spandex count will do very little to keep you warm.

Try a pair of day sheers with the 100% nylon legs. Without the spandex, they won't cling tightly to your legs. The way warm things work is to create an air space over you skin. The knit of the legs will trap the air, keeping you warmer.

Give it a try. What do you have to loose?

JohnniX
11-26-2021, 04:51 AM
I even wear them under jeans in Scotland when the weather is cold. The refuge collection guys wear them too. No biggie. Your wife is a good woman.

Maria 60
11-26-2021, 05:36 AM
I wore pantyhose only once to work . I had to do some outside work that required some focus and concentration, but everytime I moved it felt so good it distacted me and I barely got anything done. I came home that day and told my wife I wasn't doing that anymore.

MonicaPVD
11-26-2021, 07:06 AM
Knit leggings will warm your legs because they restrict the flow of some air that is warmed by your own body heat. Regular nylons simply do not. They're just too thin. However, the feeling of tightness against your skin will make you believe that you are warmer, and there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy!

Linda E. Woodworth
11-26-2021, 07:43 AM
I'll be wearing a pair of tights under my clothes today as I'm outside.

Kelli_cd
11-26-2021, 09:21 AM
In addition to the extra layer of comfort, I find it much easier to pull my thermals on over pantyhose. And at the end of the day, it's much easier to remove them. They just glide right over the nylons!

Daryl
11-26-2021, 09:44 AM
I wear my thigh highs or stockings year round. Having to walk about everywhere I go.
With high BP it helps with circulation and helps keep my legs warm in the colder weather.
Also they feel so good when I put them on in the morning.

Stephanie47
11-26-2021, 11:30 AM
Totally agree with Steffi (#11). I find my aching legs (neuropathy) feel better when wearing extra firm pantyhose. There is no need to wear costly compression hosiery for mild cases. Extra firm pantyhose works well and are not costly. If you hunt around the internet you can find offerings for degrees of firmness. The only problem is using bathrooms. I'd recommend emptying your bladder before donning them and leaving your home.

NancySue
11-26-2021, 11:57 AM
I, too have occasional leg aches. My Dr. suggested supp-hose. I looked at them. UCK. I?ve found HSR thigh?s to be the ticket. I wear them daily. So comfortable. More economical. If I get a run in one, I still have a good one. Yes, I?ve had a few pant leg glances?so what. No bathroom issues either.

Patty_cd
11-26-2021, 02:30 PM
I had to repair my car during winter one day 7 or 8 years ago. After 15 mn outside I realized that a pantyhose will help me with the weather... And it did. I wasn't dressing at this time.

Britney Summers
11-26-2021, 02:44 PM
I wore leggings under my pants last winter. My legs stayed warm in the cold/wind. They were the buttery soft ones made of nylon and spandex.

rachelatshop
11-26-2021, 04:26 PM
It was a very similar situation that got me back into dressing after I had quit dressing for quite a few years. I find the feeling of stocking on my legs to be almost intoxicating

Kimberly A.
11-26-2021, 04:53 PM
Oh yes, and yet another thread on nylons! :bs: Well, I'm sure y'all know how I am with pantyhose..... LOVE them! LOL I spend every waking moment in tights or pantyhose and sometimes sleep in them. And I concur, they DO provide some warmth to your legs in the colder weather, but if you wanna wear hosiery when it's really cold, there ARE fleece-lined tights, I have a couple of pairs of those and they're like wearing thin sweat pants on your legs and feet, only a LOT more comfy and those do keep your legs and feet warm. LOL

If anyone wants to try fleece-lined tights, here's a link for them on the Walmart website: https://www.walmart.com/search?q=fleece+lined+tights They all seem to be very reasonably priced, but if you're someone who wants to try fleece-lined tights, would rather spend more money on them and you would NEVER shop at Walmart, then well, I guess you'll just have to do some research or Googling on your own. :bs:

jennifer1958
11-26-2021, 08:58 PM
I find tights to be warmer than nylons.

Jennifer

Bianca Fay
11-26-2021, 09:25 PM
I think whether or not nylons keep you warmer in chilly conditions is irrelevant to the OPs post. In my view, Stilleto Gurl was making a point about how appreciative she was that her wife recognized, suggested, and ultimately supported the idea of wearing nylons.

If my SO ever said "Just wear some nylons", I would be thrilled and I would slip into a pair of pantyhose so quickly that my speed would cause a sonic boom.

abby054
11-27-2021, 08:26 AM
Sixty years ago, when pantyhose first arrived, they quickly became popular with professional football players, those guys who work in some brutally cold places. Joe Namath even made commercials for Leggs brand pantyhose.

When I was a kid working on a Midwest farm, everyone wore long Johns under their denim jeans. The day we started in October and finished in May varied little from year to year. My sisters wore thick tights under denim jeans. The garment shape was more tight and girly, but the materials were similar to my long Johns. Some girls substituted puffer style snow pants for denim. All the girls wore a heavy skirt over the denim. They were expected to remove the denim or puffer layer while indoors in school. Guys kept their long Johns on all the time.

Grown women wore long, ankle length, heavy skirts and boots. Professional women told tales of snowy, windswept train platforms wearing only heels and hose below the knee. When tall boots became available in the 1970s, on the subway, most women carried two or three bags: purse, briefcase, and shoe bag. It was quite a scandal when miniskirts first arrived and some of the college women wore only pantyhose under their micro skirts in the winter. Public health officials went crazy with dire predictions for their health. Their thighs would often be cherry red all morning. Though I liked to dress en femme, that was one time that I was grateful not to be a slave to such fashion.

I was age 25 when I first experimented with going outdoors wearing just pantyhose and a miniskirt when temperatures dipped into double digits below zero F. That first bite of cold was quite a sensation. With practice, I grew accustomed to it. I wore a skirt above the knee, pantyhose, 14 inch boots, and two layers of coats for a full day out and about on January 12, 1981, the coldest day in Boston in half a century.

Natalie5004
11-27-2021, 03:24 PM
Also work well under biking jeans in winter.

I did not think of that. Thanks.

Amanda77
11-27-2021, 07:46 PM
In cooler weather I've worn pantie hoze outside, but here in the prairie provinces in Canada its thermal under wear as it can get down to -35 to -45 Celsius with the windchill (thats 35 to 45 below freezing), so its ladies Under Armour because i find them to work the best and more comfortable.
Stay warm everyone.

Glenda58
11-27-2021, 10:42 PM
I wear women's Under Armor cold weather leggins for the last 2 years working outside

Stiletto Gurl
11-28-2021, 06:17 AM
I think whether or not nylons keep you warmer in chilly conditions is irrelevant to the OPs post. In my view, Stilleto Gurl was making a point about how appreciative she was that her wife recognized, suggested, and ultimately supported the idea of wearing nylons.

If my SO ever said "Just wear some nylons", I would be thrilled and I would slip into a pair of pantyhose so quickly that my speed would cause a sonic boom.

Yes. Thank you. ☺️

Misty_cder
11-28-2021, 01:24 PM
When I was working construction, I would wear tights under my jeans all the time to help keep my legs warm. I purchased five pairs of white tights figuring if my leg was exposed, the guys would think it was socks.

crobeson96
11-28-2021, 06:41 PM
Wife: "Why are you wearing pantyhose?"
Me: "It's cold outside and they keep my legs warm."
Wife: "And exactly how does shaving your legs help?"

Violetgray
11-30-2021, 11:26 AM
crobeson96;

"I get that warm feeling inside"

Angela Marie
11-30-2021, 02:42 PM
I wear leggings just about 24/7. To the gym, shopping, etc. At age 67 others peoples opinion, as another poster commented, are none of my business.

Kathi-Anne
12-12-2021, 05:12 PM
I wear pantyhose under jeans,I side tennies,and against my crotch. Pantyhose under my sweatpants.

Beverley Sims
12-13-2021, 10:13 AM
I wear 15 denier or more in Chicago winters but in Hawaii I only wear thin hose when dressed up.

Most times I am bare legged when there, with a little fake tan to go with it. :-)

Jessica S
12-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Went to look at the beach this weekend on Lake Michigan. I was getting dressed and my wife said I put at least nylons on under your levi's. the wind was like 30 mph or higher there. They did the trick. Helped with the cutting wind.

Nylon Wendy
12-13-2021, 02:33 PM
Just wear some nylons... Mmmmm, magical words.

Elaine Lynn
12-14-2021, 06:31 AM
we were attending an wedding last month and it was the first time i had worn my suit pants well gained some weight over the summer and couldnt button my pants so the wife tells me wear one of yourhigh waisted girdles that will hold your gut in a little. She was right.and it felt good all night.