PDA

View Full Version : Where are the minority CD groups?

Julie York
04-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Has anyone noticed the imbalance of races on internet forums generally?

But on this CD forum, and any others I have visited......where are the blacks and asians at? You can't tell me those beautiful Hispanics and Indians and black girlies aren't out there cos they are. And I don't buy the idea that they don't own as many computers per household etc. So what's going on? Do they have their own CD forums? I'd guess there should be at least 1 in 20 and yet it seems to be 1 in 4000.

I have been wanting to post this for some time but haven't because of the fear of some nut job being offensive, either intentionally or otherwise. Therefore, I'd appreciate it if replies were thought out and carefully worded. Also bear in mind that the Uk use different terminology which is NOT intended to be offensive.
Thanks.

TGKrissyCD
04-08-2006, 08:55 AM
The answer is more difficult. As to dedicated forums I don't have a clue. A project for some serious searches on the web for the answer. There are Groups, namely Yahoo, MSN, and World Groups. While some are "Adult" in nature there are some that are not. Shortly, I believe in May, MSN is going to delete all Adult and some Mature groups. Most of those are migrating to World Groups. I do believe we have some Hispanic girls in our fold here that are not identified as such. Why label? Not necessary.

Kimberly
04-08-2006, 09:36 AM
I agree wholeheartadly with you Julie!! Where is the multi-ethnicity in the forums?

gennee
04-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Hi, Julie. I am an African-American Cd. I am also part Native -American. There are a number of minority CD groups here and all over America. I love to check out the cd scene in other countries like Thailand, Brazil, and South Africa. I don't know the representation on this forum but I'm sure there is some.

Gennee

VeronicaMoonlit
04-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Aren't very many minority CD's in the support groups either.

It seems to be a cultural thing from the limited discussions I have had about this issue:

1. Importance of church/faith in minority cultures, they are encouraged to repress it

2. it's something that only "white people" do, kind of the way young minority women with anorexia/bulimia are told that it's "a white girl thing"

3. TG is equated with gayness so TG minority folk get channeled into the gay/drag community, rather than the CD/TG community. Which is why on Maury or certain other talk shows, when they have drag queens, they're mostly minority, but when it's TS/CD's there mostly "white"

4. Some minority T-Folk might feel uncomfortable among the self avowed "redneck" crossdressers online or in the support groups.

Veronica

Jennaie
04-08-2006, 09:59 AM
I honestly believe that "and this is just a guess on my part" there are by percentage of population, just as many other cd's in ethnic groups as majority groups. I believe that there may be even more among the asians.

Where are they? I don't know. Perhaps the asians have forums that cater more to their languages. Perhaps the blacks have forums that cater more to their culture. Although America has "in my opinion" come a long way since I was very young, there are still many cultural differences here that seem to have a glass wall effect on "brotherhood" or "sisterhood" in our case, of people who have simular interest.

Amelie
04-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Veronica made a good point in that these Cd forums tend to be on the "red neck" right wing side of life. I think this is why there isn't as many gay cds on these sites as well.

I live and have lived in neighborhoods that had many black, and gay Cds, but they probably don't come to these forums because they might not feel welcomed.

Also black and gay cds are out and about, and these forums are geared to the closet types. I haven't met any black CDs who told me that they were in the closet, yet, I have met many white men who told me they are closeted Cds.

And I have met many hispanic Cds, and again, they are out and about, they would find nothing interesting in these forums, I guess to them, these forums are kinda boring.

One note, most of the hispanic and black T-girls that I have met, have been more on the TS end of the scale. I didn't meet too many part time cding form these people, you know, dress as a man, then dress as a woman on ocassion, they mostly were dressed as women all the time.

So, out and about, I have met many Hispanic, black and gay Cds, they are out there, they just don't come to these forums.

CaptLex
04-08-2006, 10:21 AM
2. it's something that only "white people" do, kind of the way young minority women with anorexia/bulimia are told that it's "a white girl thing"

I have to disagree with this one. I don't think minority CDs think this way. My FtM support group is composed of people of all races, colors, ethnicities, ages, faiths and sexual orientations - and none of this is a factor for any of us. Our transgenderism makes us all "family" and transcends all other factors. I don't know why there aren't more minority groups on here, but then again maybe some people just don't feel the need to identify themselves that way here. For instance, how many of you know that I'm Hispanic? :D

Amelie
04-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I have to disagree with this one. I don't think minority CDs think this way. My FtM support group is composed of people of all races, colors, ethnicities, ages, faiths and sexual orientations - and none of this is a factor for any of us. Our transgenderism makes us all "family" and transcends all other factors. I don't know why there aren't more minority groups on here, but then again maybe some people just don't feel the need to identify themselves that way here. For instance, how many of you know that I'm Hispanic? :D

This is a good point you make. There are so many people that don't show a pic that it is impossible to say what their ethnic group they belong to, unless like you just did Captlex.

The clubs that I went to had a wide variety of people, they were frequented by all races.

LaSirenaBella
04-08-2006, 10:50 AM
<--- Latina. :)0.02

robinLynn
04-08-2006, 10:59 AM
i am seneca. why was african and asian only mentioned???????? I knew someone was gonna flip the race card

Joy Carter
04-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Hey we are all the same under the skin so guessing that someone is afraid to join because of color is silly. I worked in the minority community for years and found the attitudes, ideas and feelings varied greatly. It's that dam small group that gets all the face time that has us all thinking the way we do. The biggest thing for me was to gain trust and it was hard because of being white but it happened and I'm all the better for it. So as far as carefuly wording your posts so not to offend (small group again) that is their problem. :dh:
Can't we move on here or what +? +? +?
Then again there is money in being offended just your qualifications in life determines if you get a check or not. P-"A"-L-E-A-S-E !!!!!

MsJordan
04-08-2006, 11:21 AM
There are lots of us out there but not many on this forum as I have found out. Most of us are closeted because its largely unacceptable within our community and associated with being gay. I envy alot you girls for having the courage to be open with your SO's about your dressing but many African American CD's don't tell and repress this side in fear of losing their SO's or being exposed to others alot of times. I am apart of a Yahoo group known as sistas with style(http://groups.yahoo.com/sistas_with_style). This group has been wonderful to me and many of the ladies in this group are open about their dressing. We are out there and I would love to tell you know about my experiences if people would actually respond to my post.

Jordan

Tina Dixon
04-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Hell girl were all the same also, join in the fun and post some pic's, have some of your sisters join also, love to here from you.

JoannaDees
04-08-2006, 11:29 AM
As with most hot links to yahoo groups, yours does not send you anywhere but a prompt to log in, and thus the fruitless search in Yahoo Groups. Rant completed.

So, I'm responding, and you have a tale to tell of your experiences? Or perhaps you'd like to tell us of how an African American CD in the black sub-culture is perceived? I'd like to listen.

NOTE: How the heck did THIS happen? I responded a new thread and find myself in an old thread? Something very strange is going on in cd.com-land.

sherri
04-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Most of us are closeted because its largely unacceptable within our community and associated with being gay ... many African American CD's don't tell and repress this side in fear of losing their SO's
I wouldn't dream of second-guessing your situation or your cultural norms, but I would like to comment that in my own experience, I have noticed that of all the personal interactions I have had, black women have consistently seemed to be some of the warmest and friendliest people I have met while en femme. They are always so quick with a smile, and their acceptance seems to be automatic, like they don't give it a second thought. This phenomenon has really been noticeable to me, although I can't say I fully understand it.

It may well be that most of them assume I am gay, but that doesn't really seem to be much different from the rest of the world, right?

RenaCD
04-08-2006, 11:34 AM
We are all Sisters, I Hope, and all going thru very much the same thing, Girls from all over this Wonderful World.
Hey sis you are Gorgeous!! Jordan!
I would certainly Hope that we as Sisters we are all Color Blind, It works for Eye shadow!
One of My Favorite Songs, What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong Says it All.
I tried your link and it was unavailable at the Moment.
Wow This Warp Drive is Screwed Up!
Captain there a Weiner suck in the Warp Drive, would happen to have a wee bit of Mustard on the Brigde!!!
Big Hugs Rena

Dian
04-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I have always enjoyed the diversity of the people on this site. Everyone brings such a rich diversity of background and experiences to their their threads and responses.

Many people have chosen avatars that are not pictures of themselves, and that's fine. The avatar is just a personal expression of ourselves that we choose to use at that time.

While I don't want to see everyone sorted into groups, I would like to hear some thoughts from people on how they feel their ethnic group accepts or responds to crossdressing.

sherri
04-08-2006, 11:39 AM
One note, most of the hispanic and black T-girls that I have met, have been more on the TS end of the scale. I didn't meet too many part time cding form these people, you know, dress as a man, then dress as a woman on ocassion, they mostly were dressed as women all the time.
I have noticed the same thing here where I live.

sherri
04-08-2006, 11:49 AM
1. Importance of church/faith in minority cultures, they are encouraged to repress it I'm not bashing spirituality or church-goers, but I don't think any particular ethnic group has a monopoly on unacceptance or repression.

2. it's something that only "white people" do, kind of the way young minority women with anorexia/bulimia are told that it's "a white girl thing" A gay club I go to has TS entertainers every weekend, and there are just as many or more black and hispanic gurls as there are white. And while I certainly don't know all of the local ones personally, most of the black gurls seem to be fulltime and most of the white gurls are part-time. Also, nearly all of the ones I've met are gay.

3. TG is equated with gayness so TG minority folk ... and to just about everyone else, I'd guess.

4. Some minority T-Folk might feel uncomfortable among the self avowed "redneck" crossdressers online or in the support groups. You have a point here.

susandrea
04-08-2006, 11:52 AM
It could be something as simple as access to a computer.

Especially in other countries.

Jennaie
04-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Rena Quote: I would certainly Hope that we as Sisters we are all Color Blind, It works for Eye shadow!

Rena you silly girl. I look ridiculous in blue eye shadow. :p

Marla S
04-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I think the most important reasons are the language and the cultural background.

The language of this forum suspends most everybody with a different mothertongue. Though quite a few people in the world speak somewhat english, it is terrible hard to express feelings and philosophies and to talk about very private issues. Even simple things like talking about clothes may lead to confusion. (A slip in german is a panty and not an "underdress").

A different cultural background may leads to different problems with CDing which are not discussed here or one just wouldn't ask for. There seem to be remarkable differences even between the USA and Germany. It starts with the fashion.

So, I'd think people tend to group in their language and their culture.

(Don't ask me what I am doing here :cheeky: )

RenaCD
04-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Rena Quote: I would certainly Hope that we as Sisters we are all Color Blind, It works for Eye shadow!

Rena you silly girl. I look ridiculous in blue eye shadow. :p

He,He,He, I hate to break it to you and TammyGG but according too Glamor Magazine, Blue Eye Shadow, And Copper tone Lipsticks are Back, everything Comes back around. :cool:

Big Hugs Rena

Amelie
04-08-2006, 02:31 PM
He,He,He, I hate to break it to you and TammyGG but according too Glamor Magizine, Blue Eye Shadow, And Coppertone Lipsticks are Back, everything Comes back around.

Big Hugs Rena

I guess some people just don't keep up with the new trends. lol

MsEva
04-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I think like others have said this is more of a closeted, with quite a few exceptions, forum. I don't think our forum caters to the ts individuals. I do notice a few members of the ethinic background, I think it is sort of representative of the US and UK members. BTW...I think asian tgirls look so natural, the framework and skeletal structure really is conducive to a very realistic GG look.0.02

Stacy_CD
04-08-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm an Asian-Canadian crossdresser, and new to this forum... So, hopefully, I can represent!

Diannna
04-08-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm an Asian-Canadian crossdresser, and new to this forum... So, hopefully, I can represent!

Welcome Stacey-CD, You are a winner, hehehe! Now! I'm Polish, does that count????????????

flatlander_48
04-08-2006, 07:02 PM
My guess, from what I've observed here, is that there is a broad spectrum of folks represented on the forum. I'm sure that we all vary widely in how we grew up, where we grew up, our educational backgrounds, our living situations, our identities (real and imagined), ethnic heritage and life experiences. There are many, many permutations of the paths leading to this place in time and this forum. Don't, for a moment, think that we are all the same. What each of us has done and has experienced along the path has worked to shape us. But, while we are not the same, we do share some commonalities. One of these commonalities is obviously crossdressing. But, we all come to it from different perspectives and we don't all realize it in the same way.

What I would say then is to delight in our differences and appreciate that we don't all think and respond the same. If we did, maybe we'd all be driving Buicks and wearing Coco Chanel suits. Fortunately, that's not the case... (Thank GOD!)

Amelie
04-08-2006, 07:11 PM
My guess, from what I've observed here, is that there is a broad spectrum of folks represented on the forum. I'm sure that we all vary widely in how we grew up, where we grew up, our educational backgrounds, our living situations, our identities (real and imagined), ethnic heritage and life experiences. There are many, many permutations of the paths leading to this place in time and this forum. Don't, for a moment, think that we are all the same. What each of us has done and has experienced along the path has worked to shape us. But, while we are not the same, we do share some commonalities. One of these commonalities is obviously crossdressing. But, we all come to it from different perspectives and we don't all realize it in the same way.

What I would say then is to delight in our differences and appreciate that we don't all think and respond the same. If we did, maybe we'd all be driving Buicks and wearing Coco Chanel suits. Fortunately, that's not the case... (Thank GOD!)

Thanks, that was one of the best posts I've read here on this forum. Very well thought out.
Amelie

Stacie Stockman
04-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Im asian (Taiwanese) on my mother's side and European (Polish) on my father's side. Figure that one out!

Crisack
04-08-2006, 09:06 PM
<--- Hawaiian. Way long ago there were alot of taboos, some that could have gotten you killed. Now there seems to be alot more of a "whateva" type of attitude. Of course, being such a melting pot of cultures there, alot more tolerance (and bigotry) goes around. Could be in culture's where it's not as big a deal, there's more real life support going around?

uknowhoo
04-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Im asian (Taiwanese) on my mother's side and European (Polish) on my father's side. Figure that one out!

Oh yeah, well my dog is half Pekinese and half German Shepherd. Go fihure that one out.

He doesn't crossdress though.

As far as I know.

Hmmm, come to think of it...:D

ReginaK
04-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I could probably write a dissertation on transgenderism in the black community here in the US. From my experience, there are a lot of variables. Economics is just one factor. There is still a desparity in income in the black community. This leads to small participation in most "high cost" activities, not just crossdressing. Motorsports and computer science just to name a few. Ironically, i'm involved in both of those along with crossdressing. I'm not rich by any means, but i've never had to live a life where I had to decide between spending $50 on a skirt or paying my electric bill or even just putting food on the table.

I'm pretty sure most of us will admit crossdressing isn't cheap, so it's simply not feasible for a lot of the ecomonically challenged black girls to live a dual life. The more "effeminate" tend to lean towards the drag and TS circles, while those who would be part-time just don't do it at all. While they probably deal with the internal issues, they just have more important things to spend their time and money on. Thus, they suffer quietly in a real deep closet.

Then there is the whole "values" thing. In the black community, there is a strong undercurrent of "men are supposed to be manly men". This lead to the whole "down low" phenomenon among homosexual black men (For those who don't know, "down low" is the term applied to black men who engage in homosexual relations, but refuse to admit they're gay, even to their wives).

Couple that with a lot of homophobia and a strong connection to the church and you end up with an enviroment that discourages any deviation from being the manliest man possible. That's why you don't see metrosexuality catching on as fast in black communities as it is in mainstream society. And when you mention the few black pop-culture icons who do deviate from the "manly man" (Little Richard, Michael Jackson, Prince, and even Dennis Rodman) it's assumed they're gay, punks, weirdos, etc.

Ironically, cross-dressing for entertainment is applauded. That leads to even more transgender black people moving to the drag circle. I think it was Dave Chappelle who jokingly said to Oprah the goal of Hollywood was to put every famous black man in a dress. And it's true in a sense. Flip Wilson, Wesley Snipes, Martin Lawrence, and a handful of other black actors have all donned dresses and no one says "They must be gay." Here is a pretty good article about what i'm trying to get at: http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid26386.asp

From my own personal experience as a black crossdresser, I can't say much. I've always been treated as an outsider in the black community. I was always called white-washed and stuck-up among many other choice names just because of my choice in clothes, music, etc. So I can't determine where the ostracizing from being TG end and where the ostracizing from just being myself begins.

Julie York
04-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Very informative answer Regina. I do think it is some cultural thing not economic. Though that contributes.

Niya W
04-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't dream of second-guessing your situation or your cultural norms, but I would like to comment that in my own experience, I have noticed that of all the personal interactions I have had, black women have consistently seemed to be some of the warmest and friendliest people I have met while en femme. They are always so quick with a smile, and their acceptance seems to be automatic, like they don't give it a second thought. This phenomenon has really been noticeable to me, although I can't say I fully understand it.

It may well be that most of them assume I am gay, but that doesn't really seem to be much different from the rest of the world, right?
when black women think a black man is gay they tend to flip out, epsicial if he is good looking and hasa god job. seen as a waste

Talon DeRojo
04-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Regina: I agree with much of what you have said. My experiences have been similar to yours with regard to the attitudes of my peers. It's good to know that there are other CDs of color in this forum. :happy:
Talon

TGKrissyCD
04-09-2006, 05:11 PM
This respones does not answer the point of the thread as originally posted, however, I do find that the African American transgendered CD's, gay or hetro, thing nothing of dressing and moving about in their neighborhood. Namely most areas in deep south Louisiana. Most definitely in and around the New Orleans area before Katrina. The are "Made"as the saying goes by their neighbors and could care less. From a personal viewpoint I am rarely "Out", by that I mean I do not walk out my front door as Krissy into the the world outside. On occcassion I do so when going to parties and other transgender events, but most times I am "In The Closet". Again, before Katrina the clubs of all kinds, Female Impersonator and Adult, in New Orleans found many CD's as patrons. Possibly they do not join groups and forums because they are living the life and do not have time to bother.

joanna1
04-09-2006, 05:21 PM
very new member here- asian

kwebb
04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
I could probably write a dissertation on transgenderism in the black community here in the US. From my experience, there are a lot of variables. Economics is just one factor. There is still a desparity in income in the black community. This leads to small participation in most "high cost" activities, not just crossdressing. Motorsports and computer science just to name a few. Ironically, i'm involved in both of those along with crossdressing. I'm not rich by any means, but i've never had to live a life where I had to decide between spending $50 on a skirt or paying my electric bill or even just putting food on the table.

I'm pretty sure most of us will admit crossdressing isn't cheap, so it's simply not feasible for a lot of the ecomonically challenged black girls to live a dual life. The more "effeminate" tend to lean towards the drag and TS circles, while those who would be part-time just don't do it at all. While they probably deal with the internal issues, they just have more important things to spend their time and money on. Thus, they suffer quietly in a real deep closet.

Then there is the whole "values" thing. In the black community, there is a strong undercurrent of "men are supposed to be manly men". This lead to the whole "down low" phenomenon among homosexual black men (For those who don't know, "down low" is the term applied to black men who engage in homosexual relations, but refuse to admit they're gay, even to their wives).

Couple that with a lot of homophobia and a strong connection to the church and you end up with an enviroment that discourages any deviation from being the manliest man possible. That's why you don't see metrosexuality catching on as fast in black communities as it is in mainstream society. And when you mention the few black pop-culture icons who do deviate from the "manly man" (Little Richard, Michael Jackson, Prince, and even Dennis Rodman) it's assumed they're gay, punks, weirdos, etc.

Ironically, cross-dressing for entertainment is applauded. That leads to even more transgender black people moving to the drag circle. I think it was Dave Chappelle who jokingly said to Oprah the goal of Hollywood was to put every famous black man in a dress. And it's true in a sense. Flip Wilson, Wesley Snipes, Martin Lawrence, and a handful of other black actors have all donned dresses and no one says "They must be gay." Here is a pretty good article about what i'm trying to get at: http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid26386.asp

From my own personal experience as a black crossdresser, I can't say much. I've always been treated as an outsider in the black community. I was always called white-washed and stuck-up among many other choice names just because of my choice in clothes, music, etc. So I can't determine where the ostracizing from being TG end and where the ostracizing from just being myself begins.

I thought I was the only black CDer on here. I could not have said it better myself. Church is a huge part of the cultural landscape of black america. And homo-transphobia runs rampant. Why is this is I do not know. Maybe a case of the oppressed becoming the oppressors. Nary a Sunday has gone by when I have been in the pews that the preacher didn't spew forth some disparaging remark about gays or trans folk.

So most of us stay deeeeep in the closet.

As long as its done for entertainment they don't care (look at Tyler Perry's Madea)

I have seen photos/heard stories of black women meeting up with white CDers and everything went smoothly. The women being inquisitive and all. BUT, if those same women met up with me it would be "help us Jesus, all of our men are either gay or in jail". Of which I am neither.
I've had that very thing happen at a gender event once. I haven't been out as K again yet either.

In fact, I'd love to get out more but the price to pay to do so does not equal the payoff.

We are dealing with a COMPLETELY different paradigm and set of circumstances.

Ellaine
04-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Very informative answer Regina. I do think it is some cultural thing not economic. Though that contributes.

Great thread Julie!! :)
Though I'm sure economics and culture factors go hand in hand in some areas. I'm thinking of areas where Ts girls are regularly seen as part of the sex industry, yet gays and TG's are not so well tollerated. Such conditions may cause poverty stricken TG's to go the TS "entertainment" route rather than struggle with closseted existence and certain long term poverty. I guess every situation imaginable, is part of the reality somewhere.

Great to see that we do have ethnic variation here, though more would be very much a plus :)

Tiffany Anne 9954
04-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I'am a full blooded Native Indian as both of my parents were born on reservations (Chippewas of Nawash Tribe).
In Canada were called---Aboriginals---I don't know if that term applies to other countries.
When it comes to my dressing---I'am a closeted cd--I don't go out en femme----I dress privatly.
I neither do speak the native tongue either in spite living with a fluent speaking grandmother over the years. I did pick up a few words but thats about it.

sherri
04-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Nary a Sunday has gone by when I have been in the pews that the preacher didn't spew forth some disparaging remark about gays or trans folk.

This is interesting. Not that I doubt what you're saying - but I'm wondering ... why is there such an intense preoccupation with the issue in black churches? While gays are certainly thought of as sinners in the churches I have attended, it doesn't come up very often, and I've never heard reference to TGs.

sherri
04-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Such conditions may cause poverty stricken TG's to go the TS "entertainment" route rather than struggle with closseted existence and certain long term poverty.
Based on the fulltime TGs I've observed personally, I'd say they turn to "entertainment" simply because there aren't many other job openings for them ... and I would also say that being entertainers does not solve their financial problems.

sharifemme
04-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Julie...

I don't remember seeing a blank on the application that required us to state our race or ethnicity so there may be more than you think. As far as minorities go, I'm a heterosexual, monogamous, TG, crossdresser of Scottish/German extraction who plays the accordion! Now that's a minority!

LOL!

Sharifemme

Has anyone noticed the imbalance of races on internet forums generally?

But on this CD forum, and any others I have visited......where are the blacks and asians at? You can't tell me those beautiful Hispanics and Indians and black girlies aren't out there cos they are. And I don't buy the idea that they don't own as many computers per household etc. So what's going on? Do they have their own CD forums? I'd guess there should be at least 1 in 20 and yet it seems to be 1 in 4000.

Thanks.

ReginaK
04-11-2006, 12:22 PM
This is interesting. Not that I doubt what you're saying - but I'm wondering ... why is there such an intense preoccupation with the issue in black churches? While gays are certainly thought of as sinners in the churches I have attended, it doesn't come up very often, and I've never heard reference to TGs.

It's not so much mentioned as a religious issue, but more as a social issue. I never heard homosexuality mentioned in regular services, but in a lot of church functions, it's brought up.

I guess you could say there is a crisis in the black community. A large majority of black men of "marrigable age" are in prisons. That's coupled with the decreasing amount of black men graduating college or even highschool. So it creates a climate where "straight" black men with educations are in incredibly high demand. Like niya blake said, a gay black man is seen as a waste.

As far as transgender people go, at my church, it's never been mentioned. Probably because no one has really heard about it, not because it's non-issue. More than likely, they'd just lump you in with the gay people. Up until recently, women weren't even allowed to wear pants at my church and men with long hair or ear piercings were frowned at. I doubt a man in women's clothes would be accepted.

jillinla
04-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I guess I agree to some extent with Amelie
- but of the African American CDs or TSs (mostly gay transvestites) I've
known, almost all had severed ties with family and non gay friends
None were married
So I guess I see it as one of less acceptance from the community at large
rather than more

At the real risdk of sterotyping the African American GGs I've know would not
"suffer" a cross dressing husband.

Ellaine
04-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Based on the fulltime TGs I've observed personally, I'd say they turn to "entertainment" simply because there aren't many other job openings for them ... and I would also say that being entertainers does not solve their financial problems.

Hi sherri I'm not sure if your personal view is global, but my thoughts were when I posted. I was also thinking financial problems might be a relief from long term abject poverty.

Just a thought.

Bridget
04-12-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm Asian American. I did at some time post a picture up on the picture threads.

Bridget
04-12-2006, 12:36 AM
I believe that there may be even more among the asians.

Why would that be? I certainly hope that's not tied to any perceptions about Asian males being effeminate...

Anita Mae GG
04-12-2006, 07:54 AM
I guess some people just don't keep up with the new trends. lol

Depends on what you consider in.........and trendy.....

LOL, also HOW MUCH you use........soley blue is not appealing, it can be blended in as an accent to another color buit not a whole lid kinda thing,

Hey to each his own I guess.....:D

Sedona
04-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Why would that be? I certainly hope that's not tied to any perceptions about Asian males being effeminate...

I agree with Bridget on this.

Anyways, just representing my multi-racialness. No I didn't tan for my avatar pic.

Wombat
04-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the run down on the African American experience. Hang in there girls. :thumbsup:

Now for a bit of flippancy (who, me?:eek: )
Any other Aussies here?
I know I'm in a minority ... but am I a loner?
As for background - we came here in 1839. Looonnnnnggggg time ago (by anlgo-Aussie standards, the aborigines of course, beat us about 40,000 years). I'm about nine generations down now, and NO, I'm not descended from some flamin' convict :mad: and the state I live in never had convicts :p - we were a free settlement. But the mix? Cornish, Welsh, Scot, Irish, English, German, French and a few others. Guess that explains the blue eyes, fair skin and the blonde hair ... oh, alright, what's left of the hair is grey, but it was blonde ... once:rolleyes:

Wombat

Marlena Dahlstrom
04-13-2006, 01:03 AM

I'd hope that's not the case.

Jennaie may have meant that she thought it was more prevalent because she thought that Asian cultures have fewer hang-ups about crossdressing. (Becuase of the concept of each person has yin and yang in them, etc.) Although from what I've heard, the reality of being TG in different Asian cultures doesn't always match the romanticized notions that often get bandied about in forums like these.

Wombat, there's definitely some other Aussie girls here. If you haven't heard from them, it's because they're probably all down at the hotel having a cold one.

azncd
04-13-2006, 01:59 AM
I'd hope that's not the case.

Jennaie may have meant that she thought it was more prevalent because she thought that Asian cultures have fewer hang-ups about crossdressing. (Becuase of the concept of each person has yin and yang in them, etc.) Although from what I've heard, the reality of being TG in different Asian cultures doesn't always match the romanticized notions that often get bandied about in forums like these.

Wombat, there's definitely some other Aussie girls here. If you haven't heard from them, it's because they're probably all down at the hotel having a cold one.

i don't really know about that. if anything, i'd say alot of the traditional asian values (along with the dominant male, submissive female roles) do even more to hold alot of asians in the closet. The whole idea of "disgracing the family" and things of that nature. When it comes down to it, we're not really all that philosophical in nature...

btw, asian here... ;)

kira
04-14-2006, 02:14 AM
Black women respond kindly to white crossdressers because there is that stereotypical "only white peole do that kind of stuff". If am black man were to be seen by a group of black women it would be nothing less than "he's a fag". I hear you point, but is only vaid for you and other white crossdressing males, ignorance permits them to link homosexuality and crossdressing.

Kyara
04-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi girls! A lot written……a lot right! I’ll just add that language does play a roll in the integration issue; “…..if ju not espik de languesh goot…..eza problem….”. Unfortunately, for years we (immigrants to the USA) experienced the feeling of some others thinking and saying that we were stupid just because we didn’t know English. This is partially explained by the fact that this country is so huge that no matter how far you travel English is the mother tongue. Whereas in places like Europe…people develop a great tolerance towards half-broken accents and so forth.
It has changed in America…..but cultural traditions from our own countries and at times fears of non-acceptance are there too.

Nevertheless, I have read in our forum from sisters of different racial and ethnical backgrounds……and threads like this…….well intended…….are going to help.

Just my thoughts……….I have an immense feeling of gratitude and appreciation for what American culture has given me! I deeply admire the cultures of far-away lands and the beauty of their people……….and I continue being a Latina proud her own!
Zen-Q tu oll ov ju!:bw:

Kyara
04-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Sorry...I missed OF IN THE LAST SENTENCE!"UUUVVZ":o :o

Tamara Croft
04-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Sorry...I missed OF IN THE LAST SENTENCE!"UUUVVZ":o :oThat's what the 'edit' button is for... ;)

Julie York
04-14-2006, 02:33 PM
She is always harsh with people under 20 posts. It's not personal.:cheeky:

Kyara
04-14-2006, 02:57 PM
I just can't stop laughing!
"juear es de di bottom?"

jdotp75
04-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Here I Am! Sorry Can't Explain Why So Hard To Find. But We Do Exist. And To My Experience, Its A Completely Sexual Thing. Of Course I Clean In Panties, But Then Its Time For Some Fun. Contact For Pics

Audrey34
04-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Don't mean to respond so late to this thread, but I'm an Afro-American CD girl also. Where I grew up crossdressing was NEVER tolerated. As a result I've been very secretive about my crossdressing. Even to this very day in spite of the fact that I live alone. And to further complicate life when I was growing up I also have a bondage fetish as well. I have always enjoyed tying up women and sometimes as Audrey I would tie myself up and pretend to be a "damsel in distress". It was only through years of therapy that I was able to come to terms with my bondage fetish, but dressing as Audrey is still taking some time to deal with. I love dressing up, but because of my weight issues I somtimes feel very un-attractive.
-Audrey

Gaby
04-15-2006, 09:28 AM
And even though it seems to be easier to find Latinas who are more towards the TS side, it might be because in general, I would say that garden variety CD's are deeper in the closet in latinamerican countries. But those who are a bit more out and about would visit forums/chats in Spanish mostly.

Just my view on the issue.

Gaby

flatlander_48
04-15-2006, 11:15 AM
And even though it seems to be easier to find Latinas who are more towards the TS side, it might be because in general, I would say that garden variety CD's are deeper in the closet in latinamerican countries. But those who are a bit more out and about would visit forums/chats in Spanish mostly.

Just my view on the issue.

Gaby

I've read some translated gay material from Central America (can't remember what country). What I found out was that if 2 men have sex, the Bottom is considered to be gay, but NOT the Top. Interesting bit of very compartmentalized thinking. My wife, who lived in Central America for several years mostly in Guatamala, found this to be consistent with what she knew.

There is often a great temptation to believe that others think like we do. The truth is that many of the life situations that one experiences in getting from birth to this point in time shape ones thinking and perceptions of the world. There is a lot of variance in the world. We, the crossdressing community, should definitely understand this.