PDA

View Full Version : Clothes Making

Megan_Renee
04-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Do any of you girls make your own clothes? I just made a tight long-skirt like those elegant ones you see in movies where the rich heroin of the film is forced to mince around looking bewilderingly sexy the entire film...

Retail cost: Probably $50 or more (couldn't find one online)

Home-made cost (excluding time) $2.

Money saved: $48...

Exquisit custom feel: priceless...

Megan

tvgirl4fun
04-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I've been making dresses and things for a few years now. Just simple easy patterns, and finding material at Wal-Mart for $1. or $2. a yard. It feels really nice when someone compliments on it too. Especially after you tell them you made it! Jaie

Julie York
04-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm into all sorts of crafts and creative things. I bet I'd make a decent effort at making something but I haven't the room for the machine. I imagine it is actually very interesting in an engineering problem solving way too.

Amelie
04-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I make my own clothes, OK they aren't works of art, but then again, I don't wear fancy clothes.

Joy Carter
04-08-2006, 11:50 AM
A local sewing machine store advertises classes I wonder If they would be shocked at a male signing up +? I have seen a couple of other gurls with web sights who sew some beautiful clothes (self taught) so why not.

Megan_Renee
04-08-2006, 12:35 PM
A local sewing machine store advertises classes I wonder If they would be shocked at a male signing up +? I have seen a couple of other gurls with web sights who sew some beautiful clothes (self taught) so why not.

They would probably LOVE to have you there. I've just joined a knittig circle and they LOVE having a guy there. Some of the ladies think it's odd, but most of them came over and chatted with me about this and that.

You could say (if you wanted a cover story) that you like the fact that Von Olhoffen (formerly of the Steelers) sewed the clothes for his family, and wanted to learn how to do that.

Or you could say, "I'm a crossdresser and I want to make dresses."

I think that if you just sign up and attend no one will ask you a question beyond what you want to make. You'll probably start with simple things like pillows and simple shirts, but if they say that the first project is a dress or something, you can always just say you'll give it to a friend, (who happens to be your exact size...)

Go for the sewing class! Sewing is very rewarding and fun!

Megan

PS: I got this bizzaire thing from my parents where I prepare constantly for the end of civilization, so I want to know how to do everything and have a compulsion to buy canned goods... Also another reason I sew.

Marla S
04-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I used to make clothes (not only female clothes) but do not right now.
Because for me it is almost as difficult to find a nice fabric for a good price as to find good (fitting) clothes, I have the experience that I don't save money but have adittional work.
But I think I will start again.

Joy Carter
04-08-2006, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Megan_Renee]They would probably LOVE to have you there. I've just joined a knittig circle and they LOVE having a guy there. Some of the ladies think it's odd, but most of them came over and chatted with me about this and that.

Or you could say, "I'm a crossdresser and I want to make dresses."

Thanks Megan that would be a great winter project to get into.:happy:

Lawren
04-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Hmmmm? Coincidence? I just bought a portable sewing machine because my accepting GF and I have talked about making our own clothes for SCA, (Society for Creative Anachronism), but I was thinking also about making my own fem clothes and making clothes for my doll collection. At this point I know absolutely nothing about sewing but my curiosity begs me to try it. Could this be a new hobby? Only time will tell.

jackie66
04-09-2006, 04:22 AM
I design and make ALL my dresses. Whilst I mainly make 50's styles, I can make any kind. Todays fabrics are not really compatable with 50's designs, but I find that if I mount the fabrics on to net, the effect can be comparable.
Interestingly, I have found that an amazing percentage of TG folk have little interest as to HOW their dresses or skirts are actually put together.
I keep to the traditional methods of dressmaking, indeed, all my dresses are totally handsewn.
Last year, I made an offer to one of the Tg sites to supply all the dresses to dress a bevy of girls on one of the parade floats. My offer was totally ignored. I do wonder just what the TV world really want to do.
My collection can be seen on my website; http://www.jackierenton.tvheaven.com

ReginaK
04-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I've always wanted to make my own purses. It's so hard to find a good looking purse these days that isn't leather. If I can learn to make purses, i'll be happy. I don't think I have the patience for anything bigger. Plus I hate needles.

Lilith Moon
04-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I've made some basic stuff. Simple skirts and pinafore dresses. My main motive has been that I can make garments to my size and in fabrics that can't be bought. I've also used my limited skills to alter clothes, usually succesfully.

lela
04-10-2006, 07:48 AM
I make a lot of my skirts. I buy easy patterns, (you know elastic waistbands)
and they come out nice. It's a lot cheaper than buying off the rack.

tvgirl4fun
04-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Joy, Sign up and go. I originally taught myself to sew then signed up for and adult-ed sewing class to learn some finer points of sewing. My project for the class was a couple of denim tote bags. If I signed up for another one, I'd tell them I like to crossdress if they ask. And I'd make a dress in class. And, yes, I come in a dress and heels too! Jaie

cutieamy06
04-13-2006, 05:20 PM
OMG!!! That's almost all I wear!! I looooove making my own clothes. I love art and I love fashion. I'm even going to college to study both.

Ellie
04-13-2006, 06:36 PM
My mom used to make costumes for the drama dept of the local college so a sewing machine was the first "power tool" that I was allowed to use before I was about 12.

I made a few things like stuffed animals and clothes for them when I was younger but nothing for me to wear.

KerriAnn
04-23-2006, 01:01 PM
I can't say I know how to make my own clothes. But having owned a large collection of clothes of various sizes, it was inevitable that I was going to pick up a needle and thread to alter items of clothing to fit me. I would have to say having been the scouting movement, learning to put all those badges on my sleeves was a good way to practise my sewing technique in front of the rest of the family.

Now if only I could find the time to learn to use a sewing machine...

Melinda G
04-23-2006, 09:06 PM
I bought a sewing machine some years ago to make some cushions and curtains for my boat. But I quickly realized it would come in handy for other things. I've never made my own clothes, but I have altered quite a few. The biggest problem with men wearing womens clothes, is the shoulders. So I just make sure the shoulders fit, and then alter the other parts, usually shortening the hems. I like things short. I also turned a long sleeve black dress, into a cute little short sleeve number.

wendy
04-24-2006, 02:17 PM
I contemplated making my own clothes (before I worked up the nerve to go out and buy my own), but my sewing skills are very poor so I gave up that project quickly.

AngelAshley
04-25-2006, 04:37 AM
I made a pair of pink PVC panties once, and right now I'm working on a pair of stainless steel wire mesh panties. It's 400# (400 weaves per inch) and it's really smooth.

I'd love to be able to make my own clothes, specially PVC and rubber ones, cos I find it so hard to find things that are my style... I could probably come up with some designs that would sell like hotcakes.

mudanjel
04-26-2006, 12:05 AM
I design and make ALL my dresses. Whilst I mainly make 50's styles, I can make any kind. Todays fabrics are not really compatable with 50's designs, but I find that if I mount the fabrics on to net, the effect can be comparable.
Interestingly, I have found that an amazing percentage of TG folk have little interest as to HOW their dresses or skirts are actually put together.
I keep to the traditional methods of dressmaking, indeed, all my dresses are totally handsewn.
Last year, I made an offer to one of the Tg sites to supply all the dresses to dress a bevy of girls on one of the parade floats. My offer was totally ignored. I do wonder just what the TV world really want to do.
My collection can be seen on my website; http://www.jackierenton.tvheaven.com

After seeing your lovely frocks, Jackie, I want to fly over to join you for tea! I note you've spent a fortune on fabric, but we both know it's worth it !! I especially enjoy your PVC dresses; I never would have thought of combining that fabric and your styles, but you certainly pulled it off !

jackie66
04-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Thank you for your lovely comments mudangel. You would be most welcome to join me for tea. I would love to have a local friend with a dressmaking interest since I love experimenting. I recently visited a velvet mill in West Yorkshire and bought 3 batches. The lovely venetian red has been made up as a fifties dress, with long organdie sleeves and some organdie "tails" from the shoulders --the sleeves and tails have been enhanced by hotfix rhinestones of varying small sizes. A little sparkle works wonders Jackie

Alayna
04-26-2006, 11:05 PM
PS: I got this bizzaire thing from my parents where I prepare constantly for the end of civilization, so I want to know how to do everything and have a compulsion to buy canned goods... Also another reason I sew.

:lol2: I think I know exactly how you feel! I take special pride in skills that I know will be usefull after an apocalypse!

Joy, you should definitely take that class! I wish I had when I started sewing - it has taken a long time to get rid of some bad habits

lela
04-27-2006, 06:29 AM
I've been making simple skirts for years, you know, elastic waist bands. It's fun and very inexpensive. I just buy simple patterns, and modify them. Sewing is very relaxing. My great aunt taught me how to sew years ago, and I've been loving it ever since.