PDA

View Full Version : I am not home!

Natalie5004
07-11-2022, 12:51 PM
I just had a a close call. I have a friend that is a contactor and I asked to borrow a tall ladder so I can swap out a ceiling fan 15ft up in the air.

He called me and wanted to see the how tall it really is. "I am coming down your street now". Yikes, here I am in FULL Natalie mode. This would have been a disaster. This person is not an open person at all.

"I am not home now". Later today? OK?

I could not have even changed out fast enough to beat his knocking on my front door. Never mind makeup removal.

tifftg
07-11-2022, 01:25 PM
Those close calls can be heart stopping. Thank goodness he called first.

Sandi Beech
07-11-2022, 01:30 PM
Haha,

Yea sometimes you have to be quick thinking. I have taken the scissors to clothing before that I could not get out of fast enough but full blown makeup is tricky and easy to miss a spot when in a hurry.

Sandi

kimdl93
07-11-2022, 03:01 PM
That would have been awkward :)

Debbie Denier
07-11-2022, 04:37 PM
Dodged a bullet there Natalie. Happened to me once. Had to hide in the kitchen fully dressed until unexpected visitor left.

1Ladyjade
07-11-2022, 07:05 PM
I had something like that happen to me Saturday. I was on call maintenance for the week. Wife and I were dressed on our matching night dresses. I was in the kitchen making our next round of drinks. There was a knock on my door a resident had an emergency and needed me to come right away. But in order for me to go get changed I had to pass by the window the resident was standing next to. Luckily she turned and I sprinted up stairs to put on some drab clothes. Called my boss and asked her to speak to the resident about cold knocking. I told my boss I was not dressed to answer the door to which she understood and laughed.

April Rose
07-11-2022, 07:38 PM
I notice that nowadays, with everyone having a cell phone, I have fewer unexpected door knockers. I remember a few incidents in the past , though. Like the time I was cooking dinner in a skirt and apron and my brother just walked in without knocking. Loocey had some 'splainin' to do. Fortunately my brother was a good guy and didn't make a big deal about it.

docrobbysherry
07-11-2022, 08:29 PM
I've read a lot of posts like this. Am I the only that won't answer the door or phone when I'm dressed or dressing?:tongueout

Can someone explain why that's so difficult?:straightface:

Kitty Sue
07-11-2022, 08:42 PM
I've read a lot of posts like this. Am I the only that won't answer the door or phone when I'm dressed or dressing?:tongueout

Doc listen to this. Scared the bejesus out of me. Years ago before I married and when I was 20 lbs lighter I was fully dressed. All of a sudden my old roommate/ best friend knocked at the door to my apartment. Oh SHITE! I took off into my bedroom fully dressed and in makeup. My ex roommate was worried about me and spoke to the landlord who had not seen me for a few days either. So they actually unlocked my apartment door. I said I was sleeping. He left and later he and my landlord both apologized profusely. I should not have been overly worried I suppose as I told my bestfriend that I dressed a couple of years earlier and it did not phase him.

RoxieChristine
07-11-2022, 08:44 PM
One of the downsides of helping family. Our adult son and my MIL live on our property. They both have access to our house and with the dogs, no one wants to knock. With the wife out of town I've been dressing at the house every day and evening. They have come in to use the washer and dryer and I'd have to jump in the next room.

Deborah G
07-11-2022, 09:09 PM
I had it happen once, when waiting for a UPS delivery. I was fully dressed, make-up and wig, too, and saw the brown truck drive up, driver sprint out, drop off a box (new heels I believe it was) and drive a couple houses down. I waited a minute before I opened the front door and guess who walked-up and was staring me in the face...the UPS driver! He forgot another package and was bringing it to leave with the other. At least I got a big smile and a "Here you go ma'am."

Heather76
07-11-2022, 09:10 PM
Am I the only that won't answer the door or phone when I'm dressed or dressing?:tongueout

I agree 100%. If I get a call and the caller isn't identified on my phone, they can leave a message. If the caller is identified, I can determine whether or not to answer it based on who is calling. Answer the door? No way. And, nobody other than my wife and myself have access to getting in our house.

Stephanie47
07-12-2022, 12:47 AM

Our home has only one window that faces the street. I always had the window drapes drawn. Our garage was converted to living space, so the car may be in the driveway. I never answered. If I got a query later I just say, "Oh, that was you? I was soaking in the tub!" Even though our front door is 70 feet from the curb I can recognize the different engine sounds of the USPS, Fedex and UPS trucks. I can hear the trucks driving away so I know when it is safe to retrieve any parcels left at the door. I also let the answering machine screen any calls on the land line. Cell phone is nothing more than an old flip phone used for emergencies outside the home.

Karren H
07-12-2022, 12:50 AM
He probably already knows and just wanted to look up your skirt as you climbed the ladder!

April Rose
07-12-2022, 06:49 AM
Karren, there is an IRL company in my area that is Called MEN IN KILTS window cleaning. So apparently that's a marketable proposition.:straightface:

alwayshave
07-12-2022, 07:02 AM
Natalie, I understand the panic. I was once dressed when my ex-wife came home early. Fortunately, I retreated to the bathroom and she didn't come up stairs.

Kris Burton
07-12-2022, 07:44 AM
Jamie, this has happened to me. I do not dress when my wife is around, but she has "caught" me upon returning from a shopping trip early. Not a problem since she knows and is OK, so my approach was "Well, here I am". I could literally feel the adrenaline rush to flee though.

Now if my adult sons should come over unannounced...yikes!

Tiffany355
07-12-2022, 07:49 AM
Karren, there is an IRL company in my area that is Called MEN IN KILTS window cleaning. So apparently that's a marketable proposition.:straightface:

I wore my kilt this weekend imagining it just being a skirt. All in the name of learning to deal with either people judging me, or more importantly me thinking people are judging me. Felt great, and the only one to say anything was the checkout lady that asked if I was Scottish or Irish and she applauded that I was expressing love for my Irish heritage.

Crissy 107
07-12-2022, 08:06 AM
A close call for sure, I can feel how I would panic if it were me

CynthiaD
07-12-2022, 08:52 AM
. . . Am I the only that won't answer the door or phone when I'm dressed or dressing? . . .

Am I the only one who always answers the door when fully dressed? No big deal. :)

OrdinaryAverageGuy
07-12-2022, 09:30 AM

I also don't answer if I'm dressed, but it's still terrifying. AND my kids have keys, and if my truck is out front and music is playing it's hard to pretend I'm not home, and sometimes I forget to lock the door and friends know to just walk in if it's unlocked, and if someone calls me from the front door and hear my phone ringing on the inside, etc.

BrendaD
07-12-2022, 09:58 AM
For an ordinary average guy, you take risks my friend! I have the problem of people assuming I am home if my truck is out front, but luckily the only person who has a key already knows about Brenda. That and she lives in another state so I?m safe that way. There is no way I would leave my front door unlocked. but I do leave french doors in the back open. oops!!

I do not get why I post stuff and there are question marks all over. Apparently apple doesn’t support standard ASCII I guess.

Natalie5004
07-12-2022, 10:43 AM
I have answered the door as Natalie a few times. For example: I had a window repair person scheduled on a Tuesday morning. He was from 150 miles away. Anyway it did not stop me from getting dressed that day. I thought to myself, I will never see this person again and if they have an issue, I really don't care.

I let him in, showed which window to replace and that was it.

Regarding today with the ladder that I am borrowing from a contractor friend, he will drop it off. I wish I knew when because I am not Natalie now I kind of want to be. I will have until 9 pm today to dress. My wife is working then driving to visit a girlfriend for dinner. I will more than likely go somewhere tonight as Natalie. It will be over 100 degrees though. Looks like a light sundress is in order.

BLUE ORCHID
07-12-2022, 07:41 PM
Hi Natalie :hugs:, You just never know when it will Happen >Orchid**0:daydreaming:0**

JuliannaS
07-12-2022, 10:10 PM
Yikes! Close call!

docrobbysherry
07-13-2022, 01:20 AM
Doc listen to this. Scared the bejesus out of me. Years ago before I married and when I was 20 lbs lighter I was fully dressed. All of a sudden my old roommate/ best friend knocked at the door to my apartment. Oh SHITE! I took off into my bedroom fully dressed and in makeup. My ex roommate was worried about me and spoke to the landlord who had not seen me for a few days either. So they actually unlocked my apartment door. I said I was sleeping. He left and later he and my landlord both apologized profusely. I should not have been overly worried I suppose as I told my bestfriend that I dressed a couple of years earlier and it did not phase him.

Kitty Sue, people that have the key to your house and just walk in? The way I live now?

That thot scares the bejesus out of me!:eek:

Maria 60
07-24-2022, 08:05 AM
Not answering is always the best thing but at times it's just not an option. A few years ago I was eating lunch fully dressed on the couch watching TV. Out of nowhere I hear my screen door open and a knock on the door. I don't know the exact phrase but my front door has a frosted window cut out on it but you can't see in but you can see if a figure is moving in the house. The door bell rings and I turn my head to see the figure of someone's head against the window trying to look in. The first thing I thought of was that I usally lock the screen and I forgot and now I sit there frozen on the couch not to show movement. After a few more rings of the bell I'm patiently waiting for this person to pull away from the glass and give me a break to run to the stairs. The next thing my cell phone gets a message and it was my son asking where am I, my truck is in the driveway and he doesn't have the house key and he needs his birth certificate. I was sitting there frozen and just moving my eyes to my cell phone to try to read this message without any sudden movement. I messaged him back but moving so slow not to show a figure that I was on the couch and told him that I was in the washroom and would be there in a minute. I undressed so fast and I was just about to open the door thank God there's a mirror next to the door because I noticed that I didn't remove my earrings and I think I almost pulled my ear lobes off for how hard I pulled them off. That was a close one but he was in such a hurry that he ran in and got what he needed so fast that if I was dressed he probably wouldn't have even noticed.

Amelie
07-24-2022, 03:58 PM
I had a man knock on my door unexpectedly. It was the Sheriff and he had a piece of paper in his hand. I hid under the bed with the dog..... Wait a minute, it's not quite the same as your encounter. Sorry

Your encounter might have been scary but I equate it to riding a rollar coaster. It's very scary but in the end you'll survive.

JohnH
07-24-2022, 04:55 PM
I don't have a feminine name. And I go out to all kinds of places, including church, dressed as John. For Sunday morning I wear makeup. And I live in a neighborhood with a lot of Hispanics.
Well, guess what? I got pushback from only one person. So I say if you are caught dressed, it's no big deal.

SherriePall
07-25-2022, 10:15 AM
Saying you are not at home only works if the call is made to a cell phone. I know, I know. There are still some of us who maintain a landline as well as cell service. If the call is made to a landline, you can't really say you're not home. Although, some people have a landline-cell phone connection.

April Rose
07-25-2022, 10:49 AM
Doc; Those of us that are older, live alone and dress regularly, have to accept the fact that somebody is going to find us dressed sooner or later. My doctor regularly reminds me to have my M.O.L.S.T. envelope on the refrigerator door.

I fully expect to be found some day, a month dead, in a dress, half eaten by my cat.:violin:

JulieC
07-25-2022, 06:32 PM
April Rose, what is a M.O.L.S.T. envelope?

Sarasota Gurl
07-25-2022, 07:32 PM
Close calls suck, but are very exhilarating after the fact. ☺️

Krisi
07-26-2022, 06:35 AM
It was quick thinking to tell him you were not home, but if he drove down your street and saw your vehicle, there could be questions.

It is a problem though, when people come by unexpectedly and we need several minutes to return to what they expect to see.

April Rose
07-26-2022, 08:06 AM
Julie; "Medical Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment" it is a legal document signed by you and your physician telling the EMT's whether you want to be rescusitated or not and other emergency instructions.

I don't know if other states have this or not, but in Massachusetts seniors are encouraged to have one in an envelope on the refrigerator door in case they are found unconscious.

tifftg
07-26-2022, 11:17 AM
Just had my own moment. Wife is gone all day and I had some long awaited dressing to do. Lawn guys come regularly to the house they do there thing and then they leave. My dog was barking so I knew that they were here. At this point I had my bra and panties on, some nylons a slip and was into my makeup routine, foundation, blush, eye shadow, mascara and few touches on my eye brows, (too many white hairs) just about to apply lipstick and the doorbell rings. We have a ring doorbell and I can see the guy and fortunately I could talk to him, he needed to get into the garage to check on my sprinkler system. I told him I was just going to take a shower. I sneak by the door, there is lots of glass in my house and open the garage, scoot upstairs and take that shower, so depressing. Pull my shorts over my spanx boy short panties throw on a t-shirt and with wet hair, praying I got all the makeup I then go out to talk to him. Have to run an errand in a bit but hoping I might still get some dressing and pictures in today.