PDA

View Full Version : Help With Fashion Mistakes

Janelle Young
04-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Hello Ladies

I was wondering if you could share some fashion mistakes, things that should not be done. Like never wear ___ with ___, or if you wear ___ don't pair it with ___, I am sure my mother told my sisters a bunch of them but she did not tell me any of them. Also what should one do, as far as fashion goes, like:

Should shoes match the purse, or the dress or skirt?
Is a contrasting belt OK?
Color of stockings at different times of the year?
Shoes and stockings / open toe vs. closed toe?

I have no idea. I dress at home but someday I would like to venture out and it would be nice to know what not to do. I understand the concept of if you want to blend in do not wear the mini skirt and fishnet stockings and a pair of 4" heels to the mall. That one I understand.

There must be a ton of do's and don'ts and I have no clue what they are. I have never been a slave to fashion and in drab I don't think anyone will ever ask me to be on the cover of GQ, but the thought of making the cover of Glamour does hold a place in my heart.

The only one I know for sure is not to wear stripes with checks and something about white shoes and times of the year. Not sure what time of year though.

Any help would be great.

Thank you,

Janelle

Joy Carter
04-10-2006, 06:41 PM
All I know is don't wair white before memorial day or after labor day. :o

Julie Avery
04-10-2006, 06:55 PM
I figure it's a fashion mistake to be a man in these clothes, so I don't worry about it.

renee k
04-10-2006, 06:55 PM
White shoes and black stockings! big no no!

Renee

Caitlintgsd
04-10-2006, 07:03 PM
I can't speak for everybody of course. I'm unfortunately in the wider department as far as shoulders go. So I can't get away with wearing white. It looks like a snowfield across my back. And ponchos are definitely out as having the torso defined helps. Pink looks bigger as well.

Teresa Amina
04-10-2006, 07:10 PM
I found out with a similar enquiry last week that white stockings are on the Un-fashionable side of things. Like you I'm getting a feel for what will work "Out There" for the day when I leave my comfy closet!

Jodi
04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Your bag should match the color hue of your outfit. It does not necessarily have to match the shoes exactly. A bag with color can also be carried well with an all black outfit. This adds a spot of color.

Don't do blue eyeshadow

Hose should always be lighter than the shoes

If wearing coordinates, the fabric weight and texture should match.

The weight and size of the bag should match the outfit, ie dainty and dressy outfit=small and dainty bag.

Don't overdo the jewelry and excessories. A good rule of thumb is--After puting on your jewelry, look in the mirror. Then remove one piece.

Bright red lipstick is a no-no and will shout--TRANNY.

Jodi

steffie39
04-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi,

Some random thoughts (my 0.02 ):

Either your top (i.e., blouse, etc.) or bottom (skirt or slacks) should have at least some of the color of your shoes.

To blend in more, neutral colored lipstick is better than bright colors (i.e. red).

More and more women wear capri pants or goucho's (sp?) as opposed to skirts.

Steffie

Jennaie
04-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Your shoes and purse should not match but coordinate well with the outfit. It would be nice if they matched each other but that is usually not possible.

Don't try to match colors that are slightly off, It looks like you bought an outfit and one piece got washed with the bleached stuff.

As a general rule, "there are no set rules", your top should be a lighter color than you bottoms.

Your blouse should be lighter in color and coordinate, but contrast with your jacket. Example: A dark blue jacket with a soft grey blouse. nice color coordination.

If you don't want to draw attention to your feet, buy darker colored shoes.

If you are tall, break up the outfit with horizontal lines. Your top worn outside your pants or skirt, boots that are high top, blouses that have a horizontal pattern.

If you are short, " most of us don't have this problem" , stay away from horizontal lines.

If you don't know what colors look good on you, I highly suggest a book called "color me beautiful". This book came out many years ago and was very popular for a period of time. The concepts in this book are perennial.

Wear earth tone colored eye shadows, from dark brown to ivory. Stay away from colors that stand out brightly. Greens, reds, blues, etc.

When buying a wig, staying close to your natural hair color will make the wig look more natural on you.

Be modest with jewelry, matching costume jewery sets are inexpensive and can be coordinated with more than one outfit.

Use hand lotion evey day and moisturize your face and neck at least twice a day.

These are just a few things that come to mind. There is one other thing I do when I go out that some of you may laugh at. I always carry a couple tampons in a travel case in my purse. If a female in a womens restroom were to ever ask, I will be able to help her.

NylonMan
04-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Never wear knee highs with a skirt or a dress.
Never wear re-enfoced toe nylons with sandals.

Nylon Man

carson
04-10-2006, 09:47 PM
I just tossed it, but I believe it's the April issue of Cosmo that had a good article with photo examples of what types of clothes work well on different body types. (And my GF thought I got her the subscription for her?)

Don't wear the same styles your mother or teenage daughter would wear. Hey! Stop comparing my avatar and profile pic! Just do what I say, not what I do!

Even if you're able, don't look better dressed than your SO when together unless you want to sleep on the couch. :cheeky: Definately not my problem!

Sharon
04-11-2006, 02:49 AM
Never say never. Never be afraid to create and wear your own style. Never let anyone convince you that you can't do this or that if it is something you like. Just be aware, though, that if you go out in public, the more unique you look, the more attention you will attract.

Read an assortment of women's mags, you will see that they all say different things are okay to mix and match and that different styles are in or out this season. I have my own thoughts on what is stylish, tasteful, or correct, but I wouldn't presume to tell you that you should follow my lead.

Okay, my opinions (I can't resist, but this is just what I do for myself, and is subject to be broken by me without notice):
* A purse only need to blend with the overall outfit, just as your shoes should go well with the skirt which should go well with the blouse, etc. It doesn't need to be the same fabric or exact same color.
* A contrasting belt is very cool, particularly if it is not just a "run-of-the-mill" style.
* I'm not a fan of colored stockings, so I don't wear anything but nude or tan. I definitely think the old rule about when it is okay to wear white is passé. You want to wear white shoes in December? Cool by me. White sandals in mid-winter? If you can bear it, then also cool.
* I never wear stockings with open-toed shoes. I just think it's defeating the purpose of showing off your pedicure, which is what sandals should be all about.

allisonrn06
04-11-2006, 07:43 AM
I have seen girls in here say don't wear white hose with a black outfit,but I have seen gg's do this and it looked good. I have also done this myself,but I think the outfit should have some white in it if you're going to do it,eg: black skirt/white blouse.Still,it hasn't worked in every outfit I've seen.

wendy
04-11-2006, 08:06 AM
one fashion tip I hear the wife make alot is if you wear open 'toed' shoes, never wear hose/stockings.

Janelle Young
04-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Thank you all so very much.

Janelle

carson
04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Asthetically, I don't find it attractive when I see women wearing hose with open toed shoes or sandals, especially reinforced toe hose! I just have a problem with that webbed toe look.

However, since I don't go out dressed, I will admit I do wear hose with the above mentioned footwear when I take pictures b/c you can't see that webbed look in the pics and unfortunately my shins are really beaten up with scars from various sports injuries which the hose hide. :(