PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine your dress size?

FrillyKnickers
04-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Hi,

I have been a wearer of Lingerie for quite a few years now and have recently decided I want to start to purchase a few other items. I therefore need to know my dress size.

I live in the UK, so I know sizes can differ from US sizes. My lingerie collection ranges from a size 38-42, with some panties 16-18. I tried a size 16 skirt on once and it was way to small. I think I am more a size 18 or dare I say even a size 20.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to calculate a fairly accurate dress size?

Thanks.

Angela Burke
04-11-2006, 01:37 AM
You could try this, it's got conversion charts.
http://www.fredericks.com/services/help.asp?89
Buying clothes (esp. skirts) without trying on can be a risky business, as manufacturers all seem to have their own version of what so called "standard" sizes are.
Make sure your goods are returnable.
Hope this helps.

Zelda Noe
04-11-2006, 02:27 AM
Hi :wave2:

Click on this link...hope it helps.

http://www.internationalshoppingmall.net/clothes_size_conversion.htm

Dandy:happy: ;)

FrillyKnickers
04-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Thank you both for the links.

Are there any special techniques for measuring waist, hips, etc, for us girls?

Angela Burke
04-11-2006, 10:08 AM
I forgot about the "length of string" trick.
Make a length of string your exact waist measurement.
Take it with you when shopping for skirts.
If you fold the string in half you can hold it against the waistband of a skirt to gauge a good fit if you're shy about trying on.

carol ann
04-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I can only give a rough guide based on my uk experience.

I am 5'11" and wear a 38b bra with clasps on the widest setting and that equates to a size 18 in dress or top when younger I was a 36a with clasps on the middle fitting and then could get into a 16 and occasionally into a fourteen.

At present i can get in a size 16 skirt but I don't have a 'tum'. to be on the safe side when buying a sixteen I do try to get one with an elasticated waist.

The problem is that not all manufactures measure the same when making their clothes so that you do need to know what you are buying so it is helpful if you have the chance to try something on. If that is not possible make sure the store or online suppliers have a returns policy.

That is not possible if you buy on ebay - but then you can always resell again.

carol ann
04-11-2006, 11:22 AM
to give a little further guidance the sizes i wear equate to a male 40" chest for jackets and 34" waist for trousers

sharifemme
04-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Women's sizes, at least here in the US are really not standardized AT ALL! That's because women come in a large variety of sizes and shapes. This is why a woman can spend all day looking for that perfect item of clothing with the perfect fit and not find what she is looking for.

I suggest you get a dressmakers measuring tape and measure around your chest where your bust is fullest. Then measure your "women's" waist about where your navel is or a little above. Then measure around the fullest part of your hips. Also, if buying pants, measure inseam from crotch to lower hem. Write these measurements down and carry them in your wallet along with your dressmaker's tape. For tops and dresses, use your tape and measure across the item a couple of inches under the arms and double it. This measurement of the clothing has to exceed your body measurements by a couple of inches. For pants and skirts, your best place to measure is the waist (the hips will be plenty big on a man's figure). Don't forget to double it. This should be the same as your body waist measurement or just a little tighter. Stretch waists are more forgiving of mistakes in measurement but should be purchased a little tighter so that when they wear in, they don't fall off.

Once you figure what measurements work for you and become familiar with how you want clothing to fit, you can buy your clothing in any store or online if the measurements are given.

Of course, the best way to find clothing in your size is to try the items on!

Now if you think that was a crap shoot, try buying shoes without trying them on! LOL!

Sharifemme

Hi,

I have been a wearer of Lingerie for quite a few years now and have recently decided I want to start to purchase a few other items. I therefore need to know my dress size.

I live in the UK, so I know sizes can differ from US sizes. My lingerie collection ranges from a size 38-42, with some panties 16-18. I tried a size 16 skirt on once and it was way to small. I think I am more a size 18 or dare I say even a size 20.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to calculate a fairly accurate dress size?

Thanks.

FrillyKnickers
04-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks. Now you know why I only wear Lingerie!

May I ask, how do you girls do it? I am only small with an average build, and yet I am looking at a size 18-20, how depressing! My next question was going to be, where is the best place to buy micro/mini skirts (in the UK), but should I just give up?

:sad:

Bernadina
04-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Thank you both for the links.

Are there any special techniques for measuring waist, hips, etc, for us girls?

I wouldn't be caught dead without a tape measure. Its a girls best friend.

Key measurements are shoulders, bust, waist, hips, sleeve length, neck, inside leg, wrist, depending upon what you are buying.

Go to a few thrift stores and buy some dresses that seem to be about right and see how they fit. Experiment a bit and then figure out what measurements work for you.

Going by dress sizes is a waste of time as they vary from brand to brand.

For example, I'm sometimes a UK 16 (US 14). That means that I can fit anywhere from a dress size of UK 12 to 18 depending upon the brand and cut. Skirts from a UK 10 to 14. Pants from a UK 10 to 12.

And my measurements are: shoulders 17", bust 40", waist 31" and so on.

If you are buying off ebay, get the seller to send the measurements if they haven't already posted them.

Caroline Simmons
04-11-2006, 03:09 PM
In the UK sizes seem to differ from shop to shop. Im quite skiny a size 12 skirt but a size 14 top. but these tend to vary from the shop im buying As the male build is differtent to that of a female buying dresses is a problem. but i guess to slove the problem just go try them on in the store

Caroline xx

Ranee Daze
04-11-2006, 05:39 PM
I found out my size in two ways: The first is that I went enfemme to a reputable dress shop and asked a saleslady to size me. They all get commission for selling clothes, so if you are dressed and made up well enough
of course they'll help you. Really it's not too hard to look better than most of the women you see on the street, even in England.

The second is to measure yourself and then go off to a thrift shop/second hand store and try on a bunch of dresses etc. by recognisable makers until you find your size range.

Karren H
04-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Yes,

Go to a department store, pickout a few dresses that look close and take them into the mens dressing room and try them on!!!! Simple yet elegant! Hehehehe

Love Karren

FrillyKnickers
04-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks.

You girls are so brave. I have often gone into a store and purchased lingerie (in fact only the other day I bought some fishnet stockings!), but I could never go into a department store and try things on.

So, I think I am going to have to start off cheap until I find my correct size!

HaleyPink2000
04-12-2006, 02:37 AM
Hey it was Karen Hutton that got me to do it the first time! Yeah! It was. Plant an idea and someone will do it. LOL

I did go to a Walmart and tryon like 5 dresses and skirts etc. Bought 5 outfits and no one gave me a bit of problem. If they do just have a sence of Humor and go on with life. It's not an issue anymore for me since then.

Oh My first dress was from Lane Bryant BTW. In the online catalog they have dress size charts. Get a Tape out and measure yourself just as they say to do. Then order a simple dress. One not real expensive. BTW you can return anything you buy from them. Also Roamans is quite good.

I'm jelous of karen and Her size. She buys from my fantasy shop of my dreams, Victory Secrets. Karen your just to cute, LOL:) BTW love your web pages Karen Sis.

Hope this helps.

stephanie100
04-12-2006, 02:57 AM
you mentioned micro minis tooo cold yet but try the local market

Breanne
04-12-2006, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't be caught dead without a tape measure. Its a girls best friend.

Don't always have a tape measure at a time when something catches the eye in a store.
I learned this little trick a long time ago: I know that from my elbow to the tip of my longest finger is 18 inches. Using this as a guide gets one quite close to the measurment needed. I've been quite successful this way, especially with skirts.

Wombat
04-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Being essentially a blokey wombat, I suffer from broad shoulders. Seriously, the rotten things make dress selection a real worry. Despite my expanding midriff, my upper end sizing still beats the middle sizing.

Sooooo, if you are like my good self, you may find that your blouse size is larger than your skirt size, and not because you're wearing oversized boobiethingies.

Also, I seem to have longer arms than your average girlie wombat of my proportions and so, once again, I need to wear a size larger blouse.

None of which matters if I'm wearing a sleaveless dress ... or a topless one which I can assure you does not produce the sort of photograph usually presented on these forums :rolleyes:

Sizing is hit and miss - no, you don't get to hit the young miss in the dress shop, nor do you get to hit on her. It depends on the brand too (one favourite brand among 'larger' ladies here is two sizes understated).

Realistically?
Try it on before you buy.
Nah, that's not realistic for your average 'scared stiff of being outed' cross dresser.
Okay, only buy from places where you can afford to bin the item if it doesn't fit.
Seriously, DON'T spend heaps of money unless you can try the item on WITH your breast forms in place.

This leaves you with sales items and Op Shops.

Go the Op Shop route. It's scary. Dammit, it's downright terrifying, but seriously, other people just don't seem to mind if a bloke is buying dresses. Get to know what fits and what doesn't that way - it's cheap and you don't mind feeding the things that don't fit back to the charity (I used to work on a 20% success rate). Once you have a feel for what might fit, not to mention a lot of experience buying ladies clothes in person, you can try the cheap department stores (Target, K Mart, Best and Less in Oz) where you buy new but spend a bit more. Then it's the challenge of trying out clothes in real stores which may or may not be a problem depending on your courage and the staff.

I've been personally fitted for a bra in a lingerie shop.
I've tried on dresses in a dress shop.
It can be done.
But it's scary and these days, I freak out if the op shop has other people in it (which is good for my wallet if not my wardrobe).

I couldn't conceive of buying online or by mail order as being a good idea because the sizes of women's clothes varies even more dramatically than the shape of women.

People don't mind if blokes buy girl's clothes. They really don't. So although the experience is frightening, it's not going to kill you ... probably :D

But do it personally. Unless you try things on in the shop, with your breast forms and favourite bra on, you are only guessing on size (and mail order or over the internet is worse), so shop at the really cheap places until you are confident you know what you are looking at or can go back and change it (not an issue usually).

Wombat