PDA

View Full Version : Waxing rash

Emma_Forbes
04-11-2006, 02:23 AM
HI Ladies,

This is strange. I have noticed that following waxing my skin is fine until about a week later when it becomes irritated. I am wondering whether this is a normal occurrence or whether, as I suspect, the mosituriser I am using is the problem (although I have tried 2 different ones). The reason I suggest this is that the areas where I don't apply the moisturiser usually don't become irritated. Is it possible that I am sensitive to moisturiser? Any ideas anyone?

Em

Phyliss
04-11-2006, 03:23 AM
I don't have that problem with waxing. I used a vitamin E cream and it hasn't bothered me. Also helps to get it on the nails when I do my legs. The excess I rub into my hands.

lisa_gg66
04-11-2006, 06:30 AM
Hi Emma

Be sure to allow time for your pores to close before using moisturiser. I have sensative skin and if don't allow some time i will actually get what looks like acne. If i'm in a hurry ( and I don't really recommend this ) because it burns like he**, I use rubbing alcohol to close my pores. It works like aftershave and feels about the same. Hope this helps

Lisa

BethGG
04-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Try using sugar wax, I find that sticks to your skin less so it's less irritating. Also, perhaps the irritation is the hair starting to grow back and getting ingrown hairs? I'd recommend using an exfoliating moisturizer(I love Jergens Skin Smoothing Lotion!) everyday.

Tamara Croft
04-13-2006, 09:08 AM
It sounds to me like it's a product you are using. You say it's a week after you have had them waxed, so it can't be the waxing product. Lisa, pores cannot open and close. This is a myth, they can be made to look smaller using products, but you cannot close them. Naturally you will get a rash straight after waxing, it's the blood rushing to the top of the skin after pulling the hair out of the root. This is why you should use the correct products.

A few tips for waxing, before and after care. First of all, make sure you use a pre-wax lotion or cream, this protects the skin. If you have sensitive skin, I suggest you buy a pre and after-wax containing Tea Tree. Tea Tree is a natural antiseptic and is very good for the skin/pores. You have to remember, you're literally ripping the hair out from the root, making the root susceptible to infection. If you don't use an after-wax, this can cause problems.

You should NEVER touch the area you have just waxed with your hands/fingers. This often leads to cross infection. Surgical gloves should really be worn when applying the pre-wax lotion/cream, talc (if required) and after-wax lotion/cream. You should keep the area free from tight clothing and do NOT put any perfumed products on the area you have waxed.

The rash could also be caused by incorrect hair removal. If you pull the hair the wrong way, this will cause it to break and it could start to grow back under the skin. Wax should be applied the way the hair grows and should be removed against the hair growth. Since our hair doesn't grow in the same direction all over our body, you must remember to apply the wax in the correct direction.

BTW, I suggest you stop waxing your skin ;) hairs are more preferable :p

One more tip for those with sensitive skin. Wax itself can be irritable on the skin, so with my clients, after the pre-wax lotion has dried, I rub in some talcum powder. This will keep the wax off the skin.

I have only used sugar wax for areas such as the bikini line or underarm, but I don't recommend it for larger areas such as the legs. I recommend bees wax, but you can buy wax for sensitive skin that contains Tea Tree.

Beth is right, you must exfoliate the area at least once a week after you have had them waxed, this helps with ingrown hairs, unless they are deep :( And remember to moisturise after you have exfoliated them.

I hope this info helps.

ReginaK
04-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow. That's a lot of good info Tamara. It definitely answered a lot of my questions. Thank you.

Tamara Croft
04-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Wow. That's a lot of good info Tamara. It definitely answered a lot of my questions. Thank you.Helps having a Beauty Therapist here after all then eh?? :p (yes I mean me) And you're most welcome.