PDA

View Full Version : what about nails?

suzannecarr
04-11-2006, 11:54 PM
i am currently growing my nails and they are beginning to get noticable, i do this quite frequently, and i know now how irritating it is to break a nail, i used to buy fake nails, but i decided about a year ago to try to grow them long and now i love it, i really dont like to cut them but sometimes i feel as though i have to, about 5 months ago i grew them out really long , at least for me, and i loved it, i was washing dishes and my SO noticed them and was kinda shocked , she said sarcastically would you like to borrow some of my bright red polish girl. without thinking i said no thanks !, and then i realized who asked me , i turned as red as the polish she was talking about! she said the nail clippers are on our dresser , i said ok , (she is aware that i dress and has found my stash and written a guilt trip note) i told her i would do it later, well i conveniently kept forgetting, and she inconveniently kept asking me to cut them , i did it reluctantly, but this time i really am gonna try to keep them! i really feel comfortable with them, does anyone who has a SO have beautiful natural nails, and have the same issue with their wife? also does anyone know what mineral or supplement you can use to harden or grow nails? ive heard about a horse sdupplement that works, i am interested to know if anyone will tell me. suzanne

p.s. i will put a pic on my profile of my nails soon if anyones interested, i especially love the white tips, but its hard to do it really pretty, at least for me!

Lissa Stevens
04-12-2006, 07:38 AM
I try and let mine grow but with my job in maintenance they don't last long. My wife does give me stuff about their length sometimes, but like I said they don't last. Too bad1 I would love a decent paying job where I could let them grow some without them breaking all the time.

blacknickers
04-12-2006, 08:06 AM
I always use false nails which I have enough trouble with anyway.
They make doing up buttons very difficult indeed and hosiery takes an age to get on.

Annaliese
04-12-2006, 08:30 AM
i am currently growing my nails and they are beginning to get noticable, i do this quite frequently, and i know now how irritating it is to break a nail, i used to buy fake nails, but i decided about a year ago to try to grow them long and now i love it, i really dont like to cut them but sometimes i feel as though i have to, about 5 months ago i grew them out really long , at least for me, and i loved it, i was washing dishes and my SO noticed them and was kinda shocked , she said sarcastically would you like to borrow some of my bright red polish girl. without thinking i said no thanks !, and then i realized who asked me , i turned as red as the polish she was talking about! she said the nail clippers are on our dresser , i said ok , (she is aware that i dress and has found my stash and written a guilt trip note) i told her i would do it later, well i conveniently kept forgetting, and she inconveniently kept asking me to cut them , i did it reluctantly, but this time i really am gonna try to keep them! i really feel comfortable with them, does anyone who has a SO have beautiful natural nails, and have the same issue with their wife? also does anyone know what mineral or supplement you can use to harden or grow nails? ive heard about a horse sdupplement that works, i am interested to know if anyone will tell me. suzanne

p.s. i will put a pic on my profile of my nails soon if anyones interested, i especially love the white tips, but its hard to do it really pretty, at least for me!
The only one that give me a hard time is my son, and he lives in Vegas. I also love natural long nails right now mine are 3/8 of an inch.

Anna

Natalie tv
04-12-2006, 08:42 AM
I love to have the french manicure with the white tips, i usualy have false ones fitted as they are easier to keep looking nice.

Jennifer in CO
04-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Mine are usually about 1/8 to 1/4 past the end of the finger. Having spent 20 years in the photograpghic industry, long nails are commonplace for handling negatives without touching them. Hence, my wife has similar to longer nails as she too is from the industry. That being a long time ago, I have been asked why I still keep them long. I simply reply "too used to them to cut them" and leave it at that. They used to be a challange to our daughters to see if they could grow nails as long as Daddy's...

Jenn

LindaTS
04-12-2006, 09:10 AM
I've been keeping my nails fairly long for many years now and really love it. I do get quite a few funny looks and comments, mainly from chashiers when I'm not enfemme. Fortunately that's not very often because of the time I spend as a woman. I think nice looking nails helps a lot when I am a woman.

Wombat
04-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Ruddy nails. Grrrrrrrrrr

Let's zoom back about ten years. My gf of the time (I was 'between wives') suggested we go to a nightclub that was having a Rocky Horror night. She was going to meet up with a group of her work mates and suggested I go enfemme, just be in the Rocky Horror spirit. Well, who was I to knock back a challenge. Best frock. Best makeup. Fake nails ... for the first time:rolleyes:

Well, just before leaving, I decided to go to the loo ... as one does. Then found that with forty foot claws, I couldn't pull up my pantyhose :eek: My gf obliged amidst much giggling.

Then we met her work mates at a restaurant ... and I was the only one not wearing normal 'go out to the club' clobber ... well, I was if I'd been a girl. They all thought I was brave and cute. I thought I was scared and nuts ... and had to have my gf hand me the fork because I couldn't pick the rotten thing up.

The night at the club went well, only I found I couldn't handle anything thanks to the forty foot claws :rolleyes: A few people read me and I got some really nice reactions (grins, etc). One drunk wanted to pick me up - told my gf I was really hot and he wanted to take me home. I still wonder whether to be offended or pleased with that one.

Then the big dance at the end. It was a Rocky Horror night because a troup of major actors was doing an Aussie tour of the show and the actors were supposed to be at the club that night. Well, right at the end, they turned up. Again, I was the only one in the entire establishment dressed a little strange. But I got up and danced with the girls ... only to be spotted by the compare who blared out over the PA, "I may be greek but I'm not that greek", with the spotlight planted firmly on me. Ah well, everyone had a laugh, including me.

Back to the gf's house afterwards. Carefully removed night clubbing clobber ... except those delicious nails. But could I get to sleep? No way. You see, they were very thick falsies, and they weren't the same shape as my real nails, and I'd used lots of glue to make sure they stayed there, and they distorted my real nails.

Agony.

Really, it became agony.

In the middle of the night, I spent half an hour trying to dislodge those instruments of hell from my fingers. Tears pouring down my cheeks in pain. Tears pouring down my gf's cheeks in sympathy.

Must've been a good night, I still think about it. The few times I've worn falsies since, I've carefully chosen very thin, flexible ones. As for growing my real nails - they hook over at the ends very quickly and I've yet to decide whether to be disappointed or thankful that I don't have to look after long nails.

Wombat

DonnaT
04-12-2006, 10:51 AM
does anyone who has a SO have beautiful natural nails, and have the same issue with their wife? also does anyone know what mineral or supplement you can use to harden or grow nails? ive heard about a horse sdupplement that works, i am interested to know if anyone will tell me. suzanne

Yes Suzanne, my wife will get on me if they are 1/4 inch or more more than she thinks appropriate.

While in Texas last year I picked up some of the supposed horse supplement you might be thinking of. It's called Hoof Grow (I think), but I don't think you can get it online anywhere. It was packaged for ladies to use on their nails.

Basically, it is a moisturizer that you rub onto the nails.

There are a number of hoof moisturizers on the internet, however. Do a goodle search for "hoof" "moisturizer" (include quotes)

Deanna2
04-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I love long (or at least longish) nails and I shape them. I haven't cut my nails for several years, but I do use a lot of emory boards to keep them in shape. I also use a clear nail polish. So far no one, except for a female cousin, has noticed and she only asked if I had been varnishing furniture.

JamieTG
04-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi Suzanne. The best nail polish I have found is called Maximum Nail Hardener by NutriNail. Its clear and high gloss and you apply it every several days. I only break a nail about once a year. I do get a few stares from guys but I love the attention I get from girls. They compliment me all the time and ask me my secret for growing them so long. Good luck.
Jamie

JoAnnDallas
04-12-2006, 01:13 PM
After years of having broken, split, cracked, and chiped nails, my wife allowed me to get acrylic nails last November. At times they have gotton as long as 1/2" over my fingure tips. She doesn't like them that long and I have found that I do have some trouble doing some things with them that long. I have decided that about 1/8" over my fingure tips is best. Long enough to be girlly but short enough not to cause a problem.
BTW, those of you that have acrylic nails and polish them. Make sure the first coat is clear. I accidently forgot to put a clear coat on first and when I took the polish off that evening, it did stain my nails a little. Hd to come up with a story as to why my nails have a very lite Red shine to them. LOL

jennig
04-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi as far as nails go I have keep my long now for about 5years about 1/2inch past the ends of my fingers when Iam not fem I do get alot of doble takes
Its not fair a gg can have short nails or long and nobody says anything,
sometimes its hard to have long nails and runtion in the mens world but i love haveing long nails I also have them in french most of the time. enjoy your nails!!!!!!!!!!!
love jennig

Penny
04-12-2006, 04:07 PM
After years of having broken, split, cracked, and chiped nails, my wife allowed me to get acrylic nails last November. At times they have gotton as long as 1/2" over my fingure tips. She doesn't like them that long and I have found that I do have some trouble doing some things with them that long. I have decided that about 1/8" over my fingure tips is best. Long enough to be girlly but short enough not to cause a problem.
BTW, those of you that have acrylic nails and polish them. Make sure the first coat is clear. I accidently forgot to put a clear coat on first and when I took the polish off that evening, it did stain my nails a little. Hd to come up with a story as to why my nails have a very lite Red shine to them. LOL
Itoo have acrilic nails; they are about 1/4" over the fingerips. Squared and
I really like them. I went to them because I kept breaking my own and glue
ons don't stayed glued for very long on the active fingers. Your right, got to start with clear first of some of the color will be absorbed.

DanaJ
04-12-2006, 08:12 PM
If you would like, send me a PM and I will help. I have several threads in the Beauty Club covering every aspect of nails, real and artificial. My previous nail tech was a master tech for two different companies, and my current tech has over 20 years experience. I pick their brains constantly. I have had artificial nails (gels for 2 years and now fiberglass) fpr a while now, and no one has ever commented on them, at home or at work. There is a way to make them very natural looking.

As for a magic elixir for nails, there are none really..... no dietary suppliments have been proven unfortunately.

Jodi Lynn
04-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I try and let mine grow but with my job in maintenance they don't last long. My wife does give me stuff about their length sometimes, but like I said they don't last. Too bad1 I would love a decent paying job where I could let them grow some without them breaking all the time.
I am the same as you Lissa, I work in a wearhouse and drive a truck. Picking up boxes and stuff all day long my nails are allways breaking. When I have been able to get them longer my wife will say something about them being too long. I really think she is mad because I can geow mine longer then she can hers, LOL.

Elizabeth Anne
04-12-2006, 08:21 PM

My natural nails are the longest right now they have ever been. I usually get them trimmed back every time I get a fill in. I didn't this last time & just a couple nights ago, my wife said I needed a manicure. That is her way of saying they are getting too long.
I first went with acrylic overlay for about 6 months. It is O.K. but over time it yellows, especially if you smoke. A couple months ago, I went to a new nail salon closer to my work & they suggested gel overlay. It is great compared to acrylic & they wont break no matter what you do. I broke a couple even with acrylic overlay on them. I just has my first fill in & when they did it, my nails still looked like they were just done. If you don't have the gel buffed down, it looks like clear polish.
I work on cars every day so that will tell you how strong gel is. My secret is Mechanics Wear gloves though. They also protect your hands from cuts & scapes.

Katrina
04-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Not that my nails are really long compared to others here, but I have had a lot of luck just using hand moisturizer on them. When I use Vaseline Intensive Care on my hands, I rub some onto the nails to keep them moisturized. It seems to keep them from being brittle even in the dead of winter.

Caitlintgsd
04-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I can't grow my nails very long :Pullhair: cause they're real brittle and break too easily.

lynnrichards
04-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Susan,

The nail product originally used on horse hooves that you asked about is called Barielle. It's sold at Nordstrom's and many other places, including the Web. Just Google for Barielle.

I've used it in the past. It comes in both cream and liquid form.

Take care and love,

Lynn Richards

Jillian310
04-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Acrylic works great for me! And they are really long at the time of fill in and shaping. I like mine with clear polish and I use a white soft pencil, like an eyebrow pencil, underneath the ends. That makes them look like white tips, but not too white. My SO admires my nails, especially the hardness. She will join me at the manicurist's next fill in to get her first acrylic. I like the nails to be really shiny. BTW, at the last pedicure I got bright red toe nails. She had a really strong reaction to that, much more than the previous pink that I usually get for the toes! She asked me to remove the red the day before I had a medical appointment that could have resulted in hospitalization. On the other hand, i always wear satin panties when I see my uroligist. I like to slide them dowm for the exam. So tarty!!!!!

MarinaTwelve200
04-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I buy the fake white nails in packs of 120 at the dollar store, myself---then i trim, file and polish each one before applying them with superglue. I usually wear one inch=to 1 and 1/4 inch long---they look quite good if I say so myself.

A tip===dont call up a nail store and ask for fifty pounds of Ten Penny common galvanized :D

Angel73 GG
04-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm guilty of nagging my spouse if his nails get too long :sad: but it's usually the toe nails that irritate me the most. LOL

I used to take Biotin for my hair...I think it helps with nails as well, but I'm not sure. You can get it at GNC.

Then, there's always prenatal vitamins :p Those work too.