PDA

View Full Version : Flashback to long ago

Cheryl T
02-11-2023, 03:51 PM
I was getting ready this morning to go shopping with my wife. Nothing exotic, just a trip to Walmart and the grocery store.
As I was slipping into my straight leg jeans it reminded me of once long ago when I went shopping for my first pair of women's jeans.
How I skulked about the department looking for the perfect pair, how I searched the rack for my size (like I really knew my size) and how I sneaked them into the men's changing room for that first try on.
My face was hot and flushed, thinking everyone knew what I was doing. The nervousness of that first time trying them on. That rush when I looked in the mirror and saw that they fit perfectly!

Now, here I am, decades later, with nothing but women's jeans in my closet. No longer is that rush my experience. No more flushed cheeks. Now they are just my jeans.
How times change, how we change.
But there is still something there that never was otherwise.

docrobbysherry
02-11-2023, 06:37 PM
Back in the day when I used to try on things in dept. stores before I bought them, I was intimidated about bringing women's things into the dressing rooms, too!:o

But, not jeans! Who can tell whether they're women's or men's in your hand?:straightface:

GretchenM
02-12-2023, 08:09 AM
Yes, Cheryl, I have vivid memories of my first attempts at buying something. Thinking about what I would say if asked why I am buying this. I would carry a list and that was on the list as if my wife had made it out and I was doing the actual shopping. Nothing ever happened though. It is terrible the torture we put ourselves through in those initial steps and actions. The excitement is high, but the fear is just as intense. Now I really don't care what anyone thinks - "it is just a part of who I am." Different? Yes. Crazy? Definitely not. A criminal? Nope. We are all different.

Great memories that make us laugh at ourselves.

CDMargret
02-12-2023, 08:38 AM
I have found men's jeans at Old Navy that are so soft and stretchy. Got one pair that is really tight. Threw out all my other pairs after finding these. Still wish I could wear my Shapermint leggings everyday of the year. So comfy. I have been to Riteaid once wearing them this winter. I really watch others in the city for their dress styles and guys in jeans is the go to. I am just not lucky to be fully passable. Stupid brick house shoulders...

kimdl93
02-12-2023, 08:55 AM
The first couple of times of even being in the store were nerve-wracking. In retrospect, its amusing to think of how little there was to fear and how quickly those apprehensions faded.

Cheryl T
02-12-2023, 11:21 AM
Sherry, it's not when they are in your hand, it's when they are shaping your rear.
It's the embellishments on them that are the give away. The size and shape of the pockets, the stitch detailing and the cut were acutely feminine.
Long ago it was the name, Chic, Sasson, Jordache, while Men wore Levi's and Wranglers

Now I relish the embroidery on the leg, the detailing on the rear pockets that enhances the derriere.

alwayshave
02-12-2023, 11:45 AM
Cheryl, I also remember the first time heading into the ladies department. I really thought the police were going to arrest me I was so nervous. Nowadays, not even a minor increase in heart rate.

Sometimes Steffi
02-12-2023, 11:56 AM
It's the embellishments on them that are the give away. The size and shape of the pockets, the stitch detailing and the cut were acutely feminine.

My wife graduated from a fashion school and she worked in fashion for many years.

She can identify women's jeans at 100 yards, just by the characteristics that Cheryl discussed.

She doesn't want to see me dressed, so I can't wear women's jeans around her and hope to hide in plain site.

Diane P
02-24-2023, 09:21 PM
Two weeks ago I was in Walmart, in the women's section, looking for jeans. There was an older lady, probably about my age actually, who asked me what I was doing in there. Without even skipping a beat I replied " I'm shopping for my Wife". Her response was "aren't you sweet". I'm certain I would have gotten a totally different response had I said I was shopping for myself.

Paula Dandy
02-25-2023, 07:13 AM
Why is it that there are usually more women shopping in mens section than men but nobody bats an eye at their presence, but a guy in the women's section you can almost hear the sirens going off. I like jeans that fit male or female.

Kris Burton
02-25-2023, 08:02 AM
My face was hot and flushed, thinking everyone knew what I was doing. The nervousness of that first time trying them on. That rush when I looked in the mirror and saw that they fit perfectly!
I might be just an excitement junkie, but I hope never to lose that feeling!

bre
02-25-2023, 10:01 AM
I agree, Kris! Sometimes the flush and rush seem to have faded, but I tried on a purrrfect nightgown at Kohl's recently and the euphoria came back like in the first few times I shopped.

NancySue
02-25-2023, 12:05 PM
Been there?done that?so true. An important phase along the way.

ShawnaL
02-25-2023, 12:25 PM
After reading this, I think I'll go shopping!:devil:
Shawna