PDA

View Full Version : Question for FtMs: Hobbies

CaptLex
04-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Okay, guys, here's another "getting to know you" question. Please note: this is only for those who identify as FtM (although all are welcome to read and learn more about us):

I'd like to know a little more about all of you. What are your hobbies and interests? What do you do for fun? Please be as specific as possible.

I'll start:

(1) I'm a movie nut, so I go to the movies very often - about once a week, or at least one every two weeks (otherwise I start going through what I call cinema withdrawal). All my friends and co-workers know about this and often contact me to get my reviews and find out what I recommend, or when a new movie will be out. The question I get asked most often these days is when is the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie coming out (July 7th here in the U.S., in case you were wondering). For me the Oscars is like the Super Bowl and the World Series in one. :happy: I also enjoy plays (Broadway and off-Broadway), but they've gotten so expensive lately, I can't do much of that.

(2) I like playing video games on my PC. Specifically, I enjoy playing The Sims 2 (from which my avatar comes), several pirate games (big surprise, I'm sure) and a new game I recently got called The Movies, where you become the head of a movie studio and are involved in everything from hiring actors, directors and writers (and dealing with their ego and addiction issues) to building sets, choosing costumes, technical stuff like sound and finally releasing a film and seeing if it does well (and there's even an awards ceremony). It's so much fun, I think I missed my calling. :D

(3) I love music (an eclectic mix) and I really enjoy long walks, so every chance I get I combine the two and take long walks (while plugged into my MP3 player) around the city to help me de-stress. Now that the weather here is warming up, I'll be doing more of that, so I should be in a good mood most of the time.

(4) Another passion of mine is baseball - specifically the NY Mets. Baseball is great because anything can and often does happen. It's true some games turn out boring and predictable, but you never know when something unexpected will suddenly occur. For me nothing beats the drama of the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth with two outs and the count at 3 and 2. And now that the season has started and the Metsies are off to a good start (knock wood), I'm very excited.

(5) Dining out is also something I like to do at least once a month - usually with friends, co-workers, my son or my best friend. My favorite restaurants are Italian and Mexican.

(6) Also, I love to dance. I'm a dancing fool, but it's getting harder and harder to find places with good music these days (or am I just that old now?).

(7) Last (but not least) I love anything nautical (and piratical) and enjoy cruises so much I practically cry when I have to get off the ship. I could definitely see myself living on a boat. My mother says I'm a born sailor - like her father was.

Well, I think that's enough. I hope to hear from you guys. What are you into?

Adam
04-13-2006, 09:48 AM
not alot to say about me really but here goes

im well into classic cars doing them up and i own my llittle mini that is all done up and goes to mini shows :D hopeing one day to run my own garage

i give 2 nights a week and 2 morinigs up for helping a chairty that does bingos for diabled chilren buys them wheelchairs and day trips and stuff i do this for free as its great for the little ones:)

i am way to much into computer games i have a playstation 2 a gamecube and a minitendo sp also i play alot of computer games like the sims spend way to much time on these

i like animals i have a cat thats 19 years old and a dog thats 3 years old and part of the family :)

my choice in music is a little differnt as i like 60s songs and trucker songs my fav song it called teddy bear

dunno what lese to say though so thats it for now

mistunderstood
04-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Hobbies. I like old cars I use to have one. Music is real important to me. I like all kinds. I have a bird Norbertand cat named Yoshie. I like art. I do stain glass for my home and to sell at festivales.

Kieron Andrew
04-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Motorbikes, you can not be out with me, a bike pass and expect me to ignore it!!!.........in fact i am actually partically deaf and i still can detect when motorcycle is heading my way from 3 streets away, yet i cant do that with a car!!

I love 50's. 60's 70's music, i love to go for meals with my MTF friends and then to clubs where they dance and like i typical boy i sit and watch lol

i love to take my partner for meals one on one!

oh and i like the internet im only ever off it when im sleeping lol

Fainne the King
04-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Hmm, I like a lot of stuff. Let's see. I love to read, which is why I'm an English major. I especially love American 20th century lit, and I'm a sucker for all classic novels. I have way too many books to fit in my bookshelf. I also like writing, especially poetry (although that sounds cliched, it's not the lame type of poetry you're probably thinking of.) Currently I'm working on a screenplay.
I love anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion is my favorite. I don't watch it as much as I used to, because I have to work all the time and go to school, plus, it's harder to find a really good series that isn't like anything else. (anime has its established genres, you know) I also am a big enough dork to go to anime conventions and actually dress up. lol. Next con is AWA in September and I'm planning to be Rosiel from Angel Sanctuary.
I also love video games, although I rarely play them. (again school and work interfere) I especially love dancing games like Pump it Up and DDR. (PIU>DDR, IMO)
As for music, I like a lot of different genres, but I mostly stick to electronic music, mainly electroclash, happy hardcore, and EBM. Mindless Self Indulgence is my favorite band, I also like Fischerspooner, KMFDM, Ladytron, combichrist, and Scooter.
I'm not a huge movie fan, I have a hard time concentrating and sitting still for a long time, so movies are generally not fun for me. I do like action movies, the more action the better, since it keeps me enthralled. I love Sin City and Kill Bill 1 & 2.

I guess you could say I'm pretty much a huge geek.

RevMoonSerpent
04-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Lets see. There are a few things that catch my interest and that I like to do for relaxing. Just like most of the guys on here, I spend way too much time on the internet. With having an online business it can't be helped but, I drift off to other websites just to give my mind a break.
I am a movie nut. I am addicted to Blockbuster Online. The fact that I can get a wide selection of movies mailed to me is great because I really like the old classic black and white movies.
Music is also important to me. I love the challenge of working on a new classical work like Mozart or taking the time to play a jazz riff on the saxophone.
Though this sounds more like work and not relaxation, I love working with my hands to do things like fix up the house. Spending a Saturday painting the kitchen is something I love. I think it has more to do with the gratification I get from knowing that it looks good and I did it myself.
Finally, and this is where I will probably turn heads, I like to read anything in the Occult and New Age Section. Witchcraft and Magick fascinate me and I must say I have tried a few things myself. I have so many Pagan books I don't have room for all of them on my bookshelves.
Well that does it for me.

CaptLex
04-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Wow, guys, I'm impressed. We're such a diverse group with so many different interests, but I think I probably have something in common with everyone. Thanks for your responses. I feel I know you better already.

i give 2 nights a week and 2 morinigs up for helping a chairty that does bingos for diabled chilren buys them wheelchairs and day trips and stuff i do this for free as its great for the little ones
Adam, I'm impressed. Good for you! :thumbsup:

Comics and cartoons. I'm just a kid at heart.
I feel the same way - and I love cartoons too (especially Looney Tunes). I'm a little jealous that you're so artistic. Very cool. :cool:

I like old cars I use to have one. Music is real important to me. I like all kinds. I have a bird Norbertand cat named Yoshie. I like art. I do stain glass for my home and to sell at festivales.
I like all that stuff too: old cars, music, art. What kind of bird do you have? I have two crazy parakeets (with Australian names) and my godson is a cat (that I rescued). And I'm impressed that you do stained glass - awesome.

I love 50's. 60's 70's music, i love to go for meals with my MTF friends and then to clubs where they dance and like i typical boy i sit and watch lol
I also love music from those eras, but I can't just sit and watch - I have to dance! :dancing:

I especially love American 20th century lit, and I'm a sucker for all classic novels. I have way too many books to fit in my bookshelf. I also like writing, especially poetry (although that sounds cliched, it's not the lame type of poetry you're probably thinking of.) Currently I'm working on a screenplay.
That's so cool! My favorite 20th century author is Hemingway, and I used to write a lot of poetry when I was younger - something I'd like to start doing again. I also wrote a play when I was a teen (which was performed in my local church). Please feel free to post any of your poetry here anytime you want - I'd love to read some. :D

I am a movie nut. I am addicted to Blockbuster Online. The fact that I can get a wide selection of movies mailed to me is great because I really like the old classic black and white movies.
Ditto! I can't get enough of classic movies - do you have a particular favorite? I love Fred and Ginger movies and anything with Humphrey Bogart or Claudette Colbert in it.

Thanks again for your responses. Anyone else?

mistunderstood
04-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Conure And he was named after Norbert from Harry Potter. :)

sparro
04-14-2006, 11:13 PM
1. I like comics. Mostly graphic novels. And webcomics. Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/), MacHall (http://www.machall.com/), Sinfest (http://www.sinfestl.net/) and Chugworth Academy (http://chugworth.com/) are all good internet reads. I'm currently mulling through Buddha, by the guy who did Astro Boy.

2. I like cosplaying. I've been Gaara (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/majekili/AN05/P1010003_1.jpg), from Naruto. I took a month to make just one piece of it. It's my crowning glory. I want to be Ichigo from Bleach of Anime North (a convention in May). I've got to get started on that.

3. Working. That's not really a hobby so much as something I have to do in order to pay for my excessive lifestyle. I work at a grocery storegrocery store (http://www.freshobsessed.com/), which is hell. Anyone who asks for double bags is the enemy. Save a duck (http://www.reifelbirdsanctuary.com/images/duckies.jpg)!

4. Keith Haring (http://www.haring.com/cgi-bin/art_lrg.cgi?date=1987&genre=Painting&start=0&id=00091). He isn't really a hobby, I guess, but he was a rather dashing man... by dashing I mean awesome.... in fact, you may have noticed it's where I got the idea for my male name (Keith :P). I've made it my life's work to collect all the merchandise from the Haring estate, especially sinse the Pop Shop (http://www.haring.com/popshop/index.html) closed in New York. He's my favrite artist

5. Compulsive Doodling. I love to doodle. In addition, I can't really live without it. I do it compulsively, like breathing. Whether it's half hazardly sketching a person on the subway without their knowledge, or drawing myself as a cartoon, I can't live without it. I actually want to be able to draw a book of my short comics, but that is another dream.

6. Children's television. You want to know where all the good TV is at? Pingu, Arthur and Yoko, Jakamoko, and Toto (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/07/images-tbt/300/29cartoon2-30p-bw.jpg) know the answer!

7. Video Games. Ha. I wish I could say this was a fully bonified hobby of mine. I've got a game boy colour, and have beet Donkey Kong Country and Pokemon Red with it. I also like... most of the games my girlfriend's got X_X(My GOD I'm pathetic)

8. Ranting. I am a very passionate speaker, when I get reved up about something. Mostly the more heated it gets, the louder I become, so it's lucky when I rant here, it's not in person :p

Gabriel
04-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Heh, I like Arthur too! Well-rounded art style and story development. Another "kids' show" (there are fans amongst many grown-ups) I follow right now is "Avatar: the Last Airbender". Also into comic books, cartoons, etc., etc.

Others... doodle, basketball, coding, computer games, soundtracks (no lyrics)...

Wren
04-15-2006, 11:01 PM
:eek: Did I hear vidoegames?
Truly one of my favourite things on this planet!!! (except recently because of dumb school). I especially like them because it brings me into the boys circle. I am completely unbeatable at Dead or Alive, any of the 4. NO ONE can beat me. It makes me feel more manly. :P

Arthur was good...unfortunately things that last too long start to crumble and suck at one point. Like Sesame street. that started sucking.

My top favourite hobbie/interest, is hanging out at my work, comic book shop, and scaring the living daylights out of everybody that walks in. No one ever expects a female to be working at a comic book shop. So people won't even talk to me, they don't check out if I'm on cash, they'll go out of their way to the main cash instead. They'll never assume I know anything about comics, and most of the people don't even realize I work there. In fact the only customer to talk to me in 2 months was a middle aged mother buying Inu Yasha for her 11 year old daughter. Maybe I should go in drab to work see if more people will talk to me.

Edit

Dear Heavens! I completely neglected karate. I do enjoy the martial arts, In fact I'm grading this month and proud of it. One step closer to being a master.

Mother of pearl! I also forgot crossdressing, I suppose it's more of an interest in my case.

CaptLex
04-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Mother of pearl! I also forgot crossdressing, I suppose it's more of an interest in my case.
LOL - Can't forget that one, Wren. Hey, what happened to your avatar?

Wren
04-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey, what happened to your avatar?

I got fed up one night and erased everything.:p It was too fuzzy anyway, so I'm in process of looking for newer and better options.

Abraxas
04-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Oooh bug! How did I miss this one? Haha!
I'm a musician, recording an album right now (for the past, oh, 5 1/2 years or so). Music is definitely my life...
Apart from that, I do standup comedy on Sunday nights (and frequently fail miserably, but it's fun).
Also a writer... I do a lot of short stories, essays, etc., and was working on about 5 or 6 screenplays and a couple of novels before my computer commited suicide (luckily my harddrive is fine, I just need a new PC).
I also draw a lot. Great fun! I do figure drawing mostly, but I'm also a compulsive doodler.
Photography-- as you may have noticed, I've got a thing for images.
Astronomy-- nothing I love more on a warm clear night than searching out Mars or Jupiter with me little telescope.
I do sports sporadically, but I love playing baseball and hockey-- only problem is I've got really horrible shoulders so I can't play baseball very often. And I'm a bit too flimsy for hockey, haha! One good body check and I'd be incapacitated for life. But I also love rock climbing, body surfing, jetskiing, white water rafting/ river tubing, all that fun watery stuff. Problem is I'm a terrible swimmer, haha

Taylor105
06-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Well....about me.

My hidden passion that will turn heads is that I collect Cabbage Patch Dolls. I don't care who thinks it is girly. lol I have lots of gay guy friends who collect them and even a few straight guys..one of whom is 75 years old and married. So I don't consider it too girly. I have a lot of money invested into my collection. The soft sculptured ones are about $300.00-$500.00 apiece and some have gone up to thousands in worth. I enjoy it.

I live eat and breathe taekwondo. I have been in the martial arts since 1990 and am a second degree black belt in taekwondo. I would have been a third going on fourth degree by now if I had not gotten sick. But I aim to get better and go back someday.

I have two dogs who are my life. My oldest is a sheppard mix named Van and he will be 13 this Dec.

I love reading and writing poetry. I love the internet. I reach out to people who are hurting psychologically and have met many wonderful people who need me as much as I need them. I enjoy helping people.

I love going to the movies. My buddy Craig and I try to hit a couple every week. If you like comedies and have not seen "The Benchwarmers" yet....see it. I about pissed my pants laughing in that one.

Music is a great passion of mine. I played the french horn, trumpet, cornet and piano growing up but now only play the cornet. I am a huge cd collector. I could open up my own radio station. lol I have over 1000 cds and have pretty much every kind of music. My friends are forever coming over to burn cds from me so they don't have to go out and buy them. At one time when I had more money coming in I belonged to two different music clubs under four different identities just so I would have music flowing into the house everyday. lol I have run out of room. The towers take up two walls of my room.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm kinda tired so I am sure I am missing something. lol

Taylor

privateperks
06-25-2006, 02:56 AM
I like to sing. Tenor/Alto. Not in any choir atm, all the ones around here are church specific.

I read a lot. General fiction (margaret atwood,) mysteries (brother cadfael and anything from agatha christie are favorites) sci-fi (star wars series, anne mc caffery) fantasy (terry pratchet, david eddings) urban fantasy (charles de lint, neil gaiman.) I like history/politics - howard zinn is a favorite as is vine deloria, and evolutionary biology and cognitive sciences (gould, dennet, dawkins, chomsky, pinkerton - the usual, in short.)

I have a ferret, Harry Potter, and he sucks up a lot of my free time.

I have a garden. Grow corn, tomatos, beans, sunflowers, onions etc.

I do pyrography on gourds that I grow. I liek to paint and weave (not necessarily a girly thing where I come from.)

I'd like to write my own urban fiction novel someday.

CaptLex
06-25-2006, 10:06 AM
I do pyrography on gourds that I grow.
Perks,

Pardon my ignorance, but what is pyrography? Do you have any pictures of these gourds? Sounds cool, but I've never heard of it.

P.S. I'm jealous about the garden. I'd love to have one, but just can't do it in an apartment building in the middle of the city. :p

privateperks
06-25-2006, 10:17 AM
That's taking a soddering iron or a wood burner to them, to etch in designs - pictures, what have you.

I usually shape mine into bowls first before doing it. Some people like to leave them whole with the vine attached and everything. Not really into the total natural look myself.

I don't have pics of the ones I do, I'm afraid. Not at the moment. I'm not big on pics in general.

CaptLex
06-25-2006, 10:41 AM
That's taking a soddering iron or a wood burner to them, to etch in designs - pictures, what have you.

I usually shape mine into bowls first before doing it. Some people like to leave them whole with the vine attached and everything. Not really into the total natural look myself.

I don't have pics of the ones I do, I'm afraid. Not at the moment. I'm not big on pics in general.
That sounds very cool - do you sell them? Give them as gifts? It sounds very artistic. :thumbsup:

privateperks
06-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Both. I sell under my guy name, but usually I give them as gifts. :D

CaptLex
06-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Both. I sell under my guy name, but usually I give them as gifts. :D
We have such a creative and artistic bunch here - so talented. :thumbsup:

Kirchein
06-25-2006, 01:49 PM
can i join? :P

lets see.

Reading: I read a lot, usually in summer because the rest of the year i dont have enough time or im just too lazy

Music: i play the electric guitar, i enjoy it but i dont play very often (im too lazy).....(XD), i also sing in a choir (since 7 months only) as alto. I love it, ppl (the director included) are very nice and i think they sing pretty well (...man we´re going to strarbourg to represent spain :D ...so yes we do sing well)

oh well my fav music is heavy, but u knew that :P

Cartoons: ¬ ¬ no comments.....(XD)

Internet: i just love it i can spend hours and hours in front of the computer...i just chat look for some music download it..then chat again..etc etc

Going out with my friends: i usually eat out with them or go to the cinema....sometimes(rarely) i go to the disco too although i just hate it and i dont enjoy dancing (im a heavy metalic!)

Trying to dominate the world: this one is quite strange i know

CaptLex
06-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Going out with my friends: i usually eat out with them or go to the cinema....sometimes(rarely) i go to the disco too although i just hate it and i dont enjoy
I'm a movie nut myself, Kirchein. What kinds of movies do you like?

Kirchein
06-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm a movie nut myself, Kirchein. What kinds of movies do you like?

action and science-fiction (like f.example "war of worlds", "xmen"..... "pirates of caribbean was also great :)" i love jack sparro lol.

and also humour movies

:)

CaptLex
06-26-2006, 09:24 AM
action and science-fiction (like f.example "war of worlds", "xmen"..... "pirates of caribbean was also great :)" i love jack sparro lol.

and also humour movies

:)
Sounds like we have that in common - I like action movies and comedies too. In case you can't tell, Pirates of the Caribbean is a big favorite. I'm counting the days till the return of Captain Jack. :D