PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Shrink talk

Cami
11-06-2004, 01:32 AM
I finally told a shrink (female) about what I do. I had to tell someone else besides my only other CD'ing friend. She laughed and asked 2 questions (for free). Do I do it to get off, and am I hetero or gay. I ansewered honestly, I do not get off in my favorite clothes, and I'm hetero. She said to relax and live with it. There is no problem, no cure, no crime, sin, ect. We are about 10 percent of the population, and to enjoy it while I can. She thinks we should have born female physically but genetics screwed up. Anyone else have a shrink talk??? :)

MrforNow
11-06-2004, 01:40 AM
Actually I did once. I was being treated for depression. During the seesions, it came out that I had always secretly wanted to wear women's clothing. Funny, I was asked very similar questions. I was told that it wasn't such a big thing and that I should stop beating myself up over it. (I was still in denial at the time).

Sadly, it has taken me another 5 years to actually listen to that advice.

KewTnCurvy GG
11-06-2004, 01:52 AM
I'm not a Psychiatrist (aka Shrink) but I am a psychotherapist. I do not view crossdressing as a disorder. My concerns would be if it impaired someone's ability to function or if it was egodystonic (i.e., alien or not truly reflective of the persons inner self). If these issues are not present, then to me it is a normal variance of sexual behavior and gender expression.

No charge, btw, my 2 cents are free today:)

hugs
kew

Cami
11-06-2004, 01:55 AM
Thanks for reminding me of that, I was in denial for the first few months when I was talked into trying on panties and bra's when I was 13. I only had female friends growing up and let them dress me up when they got there first training bra's. At first I felt it wasn't rite but liked it. They gave me undergarments to keep. I kept them between the matresses but my mother found them. I denied they were mine. Now that I'm 44 I can't imagine what was going through her mind.

Sweet Susan
11-06-2004, 01:56 AM
I"ve been to see a few shrinks over the year, and I didn't learn anything. I still have a desire to go see another one, but it's probably for reassurance more than anything else. I would like to find the one thing that makes me do what I seem to enjoy doing. Could it be just because I like it?

babe4life
11-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Uhm, does going for a shrink to get on hormones and SRS count?

:D

JoannaDees
11-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Well, because of Julie M and her open coming out, I did finally tell my therapist about the CD thing. She was happy I felt comfortable telling her this. I think the next session will have a different theme than the last!

Cami
11-06-2004, 02:14 AM
Thx for your input Kew, The gender expression did come up. I can not say why I refuse to come out of the closet with this. Fear of redicule and being considered abnormal I guess. My job more than anything else. I work in construction so it would be difficult to wear my favorite day dress to a job site. Women do work with me, but I admit fear is why I dont tell anyone. I appoligize for using the word abnormal above. I was told to feel that I am normal with the guts to do what I feel. If I still had my girlfriend ( who liked it when I dressed up in her clothes ) I would be more apt to admit it to family and friends. I don't know if it matters, but my sister dresses up like a guy and isnt afraid to tell anyone. Is it in the DNA?? :)

KewTnCurvy GG
11-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Well, hugs Cami. And if it helps me grrly is in construction too. And she's often worried of her coworkers finding out. So I understand that, though I think it's sad that it even has to be a worry.

hugs
kew

Cami
11-06-2004, 02:28 AM
I joined this site for reassurance. For a while I thought I was the only CD in the world. I embrace it and enjoy it. I will never stop and will never seek help since I don't think I'm bad for doing what I like. Life is too short to keep thinking about being different than the "social norm". Maybe we are the norm!! I know a married male with kids who likes wearing his wifes clothes. He is ok with it and so is his family. You cant get more normal than that. Maybe we are all CD's at heart!! :)

Renecd
11-06-2004, 04:11 AM
I guess I was lucky. I was able to find one of the best Dr's that specifically sees all transgendered here on the east coast. She just told me (and my wife at the time) that what I do is just something that lots of men do. Even men in very powerful positions and it should not be viewed as a sickness, which my wife thought it was.
Good for you Cami and good luck!

Hugs,
Rene

Wendy me
11-06-2004, 06:42 AM
i have been to the (shirnk) a long time ago never told abought wendy .now back to the (shirnk) all of us...me ,him ,wendy won't work unless you bring all the cards
my 2 cents

Stephanie Brooks
11-06-2004, 07:56 AM
I joined this site for reassurance. For a while I thought I was the only CD in the world. I embrace it and enjoy it. I will never stop and will never seek help since I don't think I'm bad for doing what I like. Life is too short to keep thinking about being different than the "social norm". Maybe we are the norm!! I know a married male with kids who likes wearing his wifes clothes. He is ok with it and so is his family. You cant get more normal than that. Maybe we are all CD's at heart!! :)
Hi Cami!

You have an adorable avatar! ;)

Your thinking is right. You are NOT bad for what you are doing. For whatever reason, we are on this different path, but living our lives as we are doesn't make us bad.

*HUGS*

Nikki A.
11-07-2004, 12:17 AM
My wife talked me into seeing a therapist that she thought would talk me out of CDing. Turns out he was not very knowledgeable about it. I did go a few times and his reaction was that if I wasn't hurting or deceiving anyone and I felt comfortable about it what is the problem. Wife was not too happy with his assessement, but it did help me start my search of self discovery. :cool:

Marlene4a
11-07-2004, 12:23 AM
I must have to say I support Kew, in her thoughts and profession.

We need people like Kew, to tell us from another point of view, the professional side of (altered activity) if you will.

The Lord gave us doctors, like Kew, and a brain to use, to determine our own fate, unless we come against a brick wall. That is where HE comes in.

Let us listen to KewT, to what she says on many various facets of our endeavors. I believe there is good material there to "grab" on to.

Love
Me

Jerry
11-07-2004, 12:29 AM
When I was about 25 I went to a "shrink", but couldn't bring myself to tell him. After 6 or 8 sessions of "stress management stuff," he said "There's nothing else I can offer you unless there is something else. I never went back.

A year ago, I told my wife and as part of that process, I went to a new one here in AR. A true Texan, he was all (cowboy) man. He asked if I wanted to stop, I said yes, and we spend a dozen sessions working on ways to modify my behavior (See, "Suicide" and "everything you do you choose to do.)

Well, I did stop. Purged. And was on my way. Lasted less than a month. That was my last purge. But, overall, I'd say the process helped me to understand myself better, and although I changed my mind, (Since my wife has come around to understand a little), it was worth it.

Hog hugs, Jerry

Sweet Susan
11-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Well, because of Julie M and her open coming out, I did finally tell my therapist about the CD thing. She was happy I felt comfortable telling her this. I think the next session will have a different theme than the last!

Duh!

Chrissycd
11-07-2004, 01:19 AM
for me isn't going to a shrink to find out I'm okay; it's going to a shrink to help me pinpoint where I want to take this. Right now, I'm really stretching the boundaries w/o coming out and openly telling friends, coworkers and family. I'm sure they've got to be wondering though..."What's up with...?" I've grown my hair out, bought some unisex glasses that give me a feminine look, pierced my ears...I'm basically begging for people to figure it out. But, if some of them do find out, especially at work, I'm likely to suffer big time, and I don't know if I'm being wise or not. I think a shrink would pretty much just tell me that I should just "be myself" and let the cards fall where they may, but, that's easy to say when you're pulling down $120 an hour...
If I knew I had another career in sight that would be open to Chrissy, I'd transform tomorrow, and be happier than I've ever imagined. But, that's a big IF...so I'm sort of treading water now. I wish this was easier for us, damn it!
Chrissy

Victoria Pink
11-07-2004, 01:28 AM
I called a therapist one time when I was thinking I needed to quit. I got similar instructions. There's nothing wrong with a man wanting to wear women's clothing. Quit fighting it and just go with your feelings.

Victoria

Sweet Susan
11-07-2004, 01:53 AM
If it weren't for society, we'd be the norm. End of conversaton.