PDA

View Full Version : Question for FtMs: Need a Name for New Section

CaptLex
04-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Guys,

It's been suggested (and approved) that we have a separate FtM section for posting stuff that's just for us, and that the regular FtM forum can be for others to also communicate with us. This way we can share and interact with MtFs, GGs, etc. regarding topics that concern us, plus still have an area where we can post things that's meant just for us. So, now we need a name for this new area and are hoping to get some ideas from you. :strugglin

Some of the names bandied about so far are:

Boy's Clubhouse
Men's Club
The Locker Room

Please let us have your suggestions :callme: and then Kells and I will vote on it. :thumbsup: Thanks.

Kieron Andrew
04-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Guys,

It's been suggested (and approved) that we have a separate FtM section for posting stuff that's just for us, and that the regular FtM forum can be for others to also communicate with us. This way we can share and interact with MtFs, GGs, etc. regarding topics that concern us, plus still have an area where we can post things that's meant just for us. So, now we need a name for this new area and are hoping to get some ideas from you. :strugglin

Some of the names bandied about so far are:

Boy's Clubhouse
Men's Club
The Locker Room

Please let us have your suggestions :callme: and then Kells and I will vote on it. :thumbsup: Thanks.

oooh can i suggest as well as pick hehee

The guys domain lol

CaptLex
04-13-2006, 03:15 PM
oooh can i suggest as well as pick hehee

The guys domain lol

Absolutely! The more suggestions, the better. Did I forget anything, Kells?

Kieron Andrew
04-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Absolutely! The more suggestions, the better. Did I forget anything, Kells?
nope your doing a fine job, whilst im being lazy and nursing a hang over!!

Fainne the King
04-13-2006, 03:24 PM
I like Boy's Clubhouse. No girls allowed! :p

mistunderstood
04-13-2006, 03:57 PM
How about Mens Room? :)

Kieron Andrew
04-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Big boys lounge???

I still like the locker room ;)

Adam
04-13-2006, 04:22 PM
great idea about haveing our own room :D

Kieron Andrew
04-13-2006, 04:27 PM
great idea about haveing our own room :D
well get thinking of names young man!!!

Adam
04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
i dunno
little boys room
mens u united
mens changeing room
boys den

sorry there so lame but im no good at ideas :D

Kieron Andrew
04-13-2006, 04:33 PM
i dunno
little boys room
mens u united
mens changeing room
boys den

sorry there so lame but im no good at ideas :D
hey they aint lame....i like Boys den.........keep em coming

mistunderstood
04-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Where the wild men grow.:)

Shelly Preston
04-13-2006, 06:39 PM
How about

Boys to Men

Hunks or Us

The Muscle Club

Kieron Andrew
04-13-2006, 06:42 PM
How about

Boys to Men

Hunks or Us

The Muscle Club
thanks for you input shelley but as the thread suggests we want the boys to think for themselves for a change come up with their own name!!

RevMoonSerpent
04-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Here's what I came up with. I'm still trying to think of a few more.

Gents Guild
Gentlemens Club
League of Men

CaptLex
04-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Where the wild men grow.:)

That's pretty cool, Aaron. I also like the Gentlemen's Club (makes me think of brandy and cigars), the League of Men (wasn't that a movie with Sean Connery?), the Muscle Club and Man Hood. Lots of pretty interesting titles so far. I think it's going to be hard to choose. :idontknow: Any others?

sparro
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
The Boys of Summer?... the summer doesn't make much sense, though... God, this is just a post for the sake of it. I have not idea what a good name would be X_X, though I do like Lex's idea (Boys only) Boys boys boys, or It's rainin' men.. though they sound like slightly rude names, though they are excellent songs. Okay, I'm going to shut up now. :fim:

sparro
04-13-2006, 10:40 PM
I know I said I was shutting up, but I still have something to say. -_-"

I do think the exclusiveness on this forum is a bit excessive. I mean, it's nice to have your own place to talk, but to exclude other people from it feels a little wrong. I mean, isn't that what the internet (and forums) are about? Sharing ideas? And if in one of the best forums (in my opinion) only a certain kind of people are allowed to. I mean, to me, that kind of defeats the purpose of having a forum, and fosters a kind of single/closed minded thinking, eventually.
There are already quite a few barriers and hurdles to jump on this forum, mostly based on labels. Who's an FtM, MtF, GG. I can see the usefulness in labeling. People mentally HAVE to do that, or we actually become incapable of functioning, socially and otherwise. But all the same, the crossdressers more then anybody should know this, there is such a wide spectrum of people, and the lines between who's one thing and who's another becomes confusing, at least for me.
Enough of that psychology. My point is, this particular section of the forum should not exsist. It'll just promote this kind of labelling and exculsion which, I think, will only be discouraging to quite a few people on this forum. What do we really need a "personal" place JUST for ftms for? I mean, lets be honest, there is barely any "visiting" from the other parts of the the forum, except for three or four of the mtfs or GGs, really. There is a whole Yahoo communities already devoted to it. What do we really have to hide? Do we REALLY need to take restrictiveness to the next level? It seems ridiculous, to me, and I really am not going to want to participate in it.

Kieron Andrew
04-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Sparro, we are not closing the rest of the FTM forum to the girls, they can join in when ever they want but we feel there might be delicate stuff that boys might want only other boys to hear and comment on so there will be a sub-section to show this.....i for one have transitioning issues which i have approached yet because the girls can comment and intervene......we get alot of the girls commenting when it is quite obviously not relevent to them, and to be honest it can get quite tedious as a mod telling the girls that they their answers are not wanted on that particular thread.......this one little sub section will stop that

CaptLex
04-14-2006, 09:21 AM
I know I said I was shutting up, but I still have something to say. -_-"

I do think the exclusiveness on this forum is a bit excessive. I mean, it's nice to have your own place to talk, but to exclude other people from it feels a little wrong. . . . Do we REALLY need to take restrictiveness to the next level? It seems ridiculous, to me, and I really am not going to want to participate in it.
Sparro,

I know how you feel. I really do. I don't like exclusion and segregation myself and I was hesitant and concerned about this new forum for that reason, but if some people feel they need it, then I won't object.

On the one hand, I like to see MtFs and GGs participate in our discussions because I think this brings us together as a community on this forum, but on the other hand, as Kells pointed out, we get tired of pointing out to some people (I think it's mostly newbies who don't take the time to read and may not be used to seeing an FtM section) that some of our posts are directed only for FtMs so we can discuss mutual concerns and get to know each other better. So, this is a compromise. A way to have it both ways - an area where others can communicate with FtMs and another area where FtMs can feel free to let loose.

Right now I see this as an experiment and we'll see where it goes and if it works. I appreciate your voicing your opinion on this subject (and I welcome all others) and I hope you will participate, but if you don't want to, I respect that too.

:Peace:

Wren
04-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I was originally not going to post, as I respect the fact that this thread is FTM only, but since it has deviated I now feel free to voice my opinion.

On this forum, for labels sake, I have called myself a GG, which actually doesn't make any sense, First of we should be called Genetic Females, secondly FTM's genetically are Females, even post-op your genetics still say you are Female. So the term in itself needs re-working. I have referred to myself as such even though I do not necessarily agree, I can consider myself a casual crossdresser, I see no harm in that, and I do not believe that de-validifies me. Just like in public or with casual friends, I call myself a Lesbian, even though I am not. So I can't join the treehouse club because I'm different. Well that doesn't seem fitting.

I understand that sometimes it can be tedious to keep a thread FTM only. And I've witnessed when some people start posting without reading, but for example the MTF that posted on this thread for name ideas, what was the harm. Sure, she should have read the thread title a little more clearly but it was just an attempt to help the FTM side. It's YOUR choice whether you take the suggestion or not, so in the end it's still the FTM choosing their own name.

When it comes to sharing of ideas, I think the FTM side is more or less ignored, and I've oftened been saddened that more "GG's" and MTF's don't share more with us. It allows the threads to stagnate, in opposition to the MTF side where things are in constant motion.

I will sit back and allow the forum to pass judgment on whether I "count" or not, and take the verdict for whichever it is. I'm not opposing the new thread, I am just stating my opinion. I have high regards for this forum, and I do not intend to insult anyone, either with this post or others. If I have been shy about how I identify I apologize for being unclear, but if things in my head are fuzzy can I really be blamed. I'm sure we've all been there.

livy_m_b
04-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Hunks

Angela Burke
04-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Why not "The League Of Gentlemen" ?
Not from the comedy sketch show but from the film of the same name about a group of post ww2 ex soldiers who use their expertise to commit an audacious robbery that almost succeeds.

Tamara Croft
04-14-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm just going to add my 2p in here in regards to having a private section. We have a private GG forum, if it wasn't for this forum, I'm pretty sure a lot of the GG's here wouldn't be were they are today in their relationship. We also have a GM forum, now I don't personally know what goes on in there, I'm excempt from viewing it. But I know there are a lot of members in that section, so it was obviously needed.

Having a private section for the FTM's IMHO is a good idea. Although they are biologically females, they like to be classed as males. They also have things they want to discuss privately, we all do. Having private sections hasn't stopped any of us posting anywhere else, if anything (and I'm going on the stats) the GG's of this forum are now thriving in many threads out in the open. If anything, having others to talk to privately, boosts their confidence, brings them closer to other members and they learn how to interact much better within the rest of the forum.

I'm all for it, it's an excellent idea. Even if it's not used a lot, you know it's going to be there when and if you ever need to get your private thoughts out.

Caroline Simmons
04-14-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm all for it, it's an excellent idea. Even if it's not used a lot, you know it's going to be there when and if you ever need to get your private thoughts out.

Yeah Guys just a place were you can go..just like that late night phone call to your best mate. when you just need to talk to someone in convidance
Carolinexx

sparro
04-14-2006, 10:56 AM
It's just cutting off the flow of this place even more! People rarely stray from the forum as it is. It's just giving us another reason to exclude ourselves from everyone else. This forum is already built to seperate people, as soon as you get here. There can be reasons for all of that, but still. AH!
I just can't stand the idea of there being a place for people to go fester in this forum. Intrusions of the MtF and GG kind wouldn't be intrusions if we welcomed their opinions. We're not that different, after all, and I consider them to be in the same boat as us. So what do we have to hide from them? We're going through the EXACT SAME THINGS as they are.
If you don't want to read of MtF post, you don't have to. Just skip over it. These little differences shouldn't be enough to seperate us.

How much more annonymous can you be if you're already on the internet. The whole point of this forum is to open up. I just feel like I'm being shut down, and shut out.

mistunderstood
04-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Sparro I think I understand what you are saying. I to joined this group to be apart of something. But I like the idea of are own group. I have searched all over and have not found to many groups that was a good as this site. This site is one of the best.
There are some things I just do not want to bring up in a mixed forum. I value the in put of the GG and the M2F. I to like to see things from diffrent perspective but I also like to have a little privacy.
Your right we are the same yet F2M's have diffrent things going on.

Kieron Andrew
04-14-2006, 01:19 PM
There are some things I just do not want to bring up in a mixed forum. I value the in put of the GG and the M2F. I to like to see things from diffrent perspective but I also like to have a little privacy. this is the same for me, i am now in a stage in my transition that i want to talk about things amongst us and us only, its a guy thing lol!, but yes i still like the idea we have a forum where we can intermingle too......its good to have the choice to be able to do both!

CaptLex
04-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Wow, I see this has become a hot-button issue and I'd like to address it without making anyone feel like their feelings and opinions are excluded or disregarded - if possible. If it sounds that way, please know that it's not my intention.

Sparro, I understand why all the separations in this site can make us feel like everyone is divided and not united. But I also see others' point of wanting a place where they feel they'll be comfortable enough to express themselves freely, if (for whatever reason) they don't feel that way now. So, I say if people have this need, then they should have access to such a place. Whoever wants to use it can, and whoever doesn't want to use it doesn't have to. I just hope we can also still communicate and relate regardless of these divisions. I guess we won't know until we try it - and I hope people will give it a try before making a definite decision.

Wren, I'm happy to have your input here too. I've been thinking about you - even before you posted. I know that you don't necessarily fit into any one definition, and I don't have a problem with that (in fact, I think that's kind of cool). Labels are very restricting and shouldn't be applied unnecessarily. I consider you somewhere between FtM and GG (correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't see why you can't join in wherever you feel comfortable and want to contribute. That's just my opinion - I'm not really sure how anyone else feels about that. That said, I don't really know where that leaves us at the moment. :idontknow:

Guys, I just want to be fair and not create an atmosphere where people will feel left out and not want to be here. We've always had problems with people not sticking around too long, and my wish is to make this the kind of forum where people will feel safe, supported and included. I'd like to see this part of the site be as active as the other parts, and I am happy to take suggestions and ideas from you guys to see what works and what doesn't work. I'm pretty much open to giving anything a try. Even though Kells and I are moderators now, this is still YOUR forum and you can make it whatever you want to make it (within the rules, of course).

Tamara, thanks for your opinion too. If it works for the GGs and GMs, it may work for us, but I guess we won't know until we put it into practice.

So where does that leave us? What's the consensus? I'd like to hear from as many of the guys as possible.:raisedeyebrow:

Regarding a new name for the proposed section: it seems to me that the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (named after the movie and comic) is up to now the most popular title. I just hope there is no copyright infringement issue there. :worried:

mistunderstood
04-14-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm all for trying it out. If it does not work we just back to what was working.

Wren
04-14-2006, 10:12 PM
If the majority want to try it, then I'm ruled against. I wasn't going to stop anything anyway, I don't have the balls :p . Okay really bad pun. (You can see my mood is slightly elated).

My quam was that when I joined the forum, I considered joining the "GG" forum but what would I do there? My SO isn't MTF and I'm not exactly GG material. I wouldn't want it added to my user name, and I wouldn't feel comfortable at all after that point, it's not who I am. I stayed in the FTM forum because it seemed to be the most...calm? Open? Less restricting? I was just afraid, that with this new forum I'd get a big "GG NOT ALLOWED!!!!!!!" Which scared me since..well I stated I'm not GG material. I've dropped hints here and there to my orientation, but I still got the GG label. So I was just licking my wounds, and festering in my non-complacent attitude. I was wondering, "then where do I go" Do I make the Wren forum, for the gender ambiguos, party of one? No. I guess I don't notice the MTF GG presence as much since I practice selective reading. If it doesn't pertain to the forum, I skip, I mean there's like 5 active members, you get to know the avatars.

Another thing, I know FTM's liked to be called boys, I live with an FTM this is not news. It's just that the MTF's have a GM forum, so...why doesn't GG apply to the FTM's? I understand that it doesn't, but it's one of those paradoxes. And as to the Girl vs. Female. I prefer a leveled playing field. GM so GF. Makes sense. I'm not criticizing so much as musing loudly.

Phew! Now to the name thing. Herm, I work in a comic book shop. And the League of extraordinary gentlemen is a comic book of very high repute. The writer alan more (V for Vendetta, Watchmen) is a very excentric man, very. So it's quite a fitting name actually. hehe, I know this info is completely useless info, but I get passionate when anyone brings up my passion. I hope there is no copyright infringment, it's DC their pretty anal.

Tamara Croft
04-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Wren, although you are a FTM, you are a GG too and had you applied for the GG forum, you would have been granted access and as you are a FTM, I wouldn't have added the GG to your username. Puer was a member, although he's awol right now, he had access ;) Also, you don't need to have a MTF FTM GG partner to join, it is for ALL GG's ;) Maybe I should change the rules a bit and make them more clear.

Ok, back on topic now guys.... how about Men Behaving Badly :p

mistunderstood
04-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Wren it's all good. I like you here you spice it up. Thank you. Your right F2M side is calm. Like I said It's all good.

sparro
04-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for taking me into account, CaptLex, Misunderstood.

I really didn't mean offense, or to be a shit disturber... although, I guess, it's what I usually end up being where ever I go. I challenge things a bit to often, maybe. ie: :rant:
I still stand by what I said, but if the majority rules, then I can't stop you, and I hope that it flies well.

Gabriel
04-15-2006, 10:46 AM
how about Men Behaving Badly :p
But... who would join then? The boys here are all perfect gentlemen. :cheeky:

Personally, I prefer simplicity. As simple as possible. When wanting to include this group and that group, eventually the target audience becomes general enough, and we end up back here. :cool:

gennee
04-16-2006, 07:24 PM
You're off to a good start, CaptLex. I'm very sure that you will come up with something unique and catchy. good luck.

Gennee

Tamara Croft
04-16-2006, 09:13 PM
You're a bit late Genee ;) The new section is up and running :p Named 'Boys' Clubhouse'