PDA

View Full Version : Enlightenment is a beautiful thing!

ShawnaL
04-08-2023, 09:12 AM
After responding to the thread which asked the question about the possible impact of the general public's discussion of gender dysphoria, I thought I'd share this recent experience which actually shows there ARE exceptions to the public's sometimes "herd mentality":

Last week I began my annual Spring ritual of getting a full Brazilian wax along with waxing my legs. My usual aesthetician wasn't available, and I noticed that the young lady who would be doing the waxing seemed a little nervous. Once I'd gotten undressed and, on the table, she confessed that I was the first transwoman she'd met, and wondered if it was ok if she asked me some questions. I said "shoot"!

I noticed right away that her questions all seemed to be focused more on the psychological rather than the physiological aspects of my transition - especially on how well my family and friends accepted my transition - and if I ever struggled with being open and honest about who I was. I finally asked if it would be OK if I asked HER a question. She said "yes". So, I asked: "are YOU struggling with being open and honest about who you are"? She nodded, and I could see she was about to tear-up. I asked her if she'd like to talk to someone who might be able to help her begin to figure out the important things in her life. She nodded again. I forwarded my gender therapists number to her cell phone and suggested that she give her a call. Although I've not needed to see my therapist in quite a while, I've always kept her number handy - and I was so happy on that day that I did!

The young lady gave me a hug as I was leaving, and we both started laughing when she said, "it's obvious that a penis doesn't make a man, because YOU are a woman"!

Enlightenment is a beautiful thing...I've never been more convinced that my decision to live my true life was the correct one than at that moment. I hope her life ahead is a happy one and that maybe she'll want to keep me along for support. We'll see!

bridget thronton
04-08-2023, 09:18 AM
Very nice post

kimdl93
04-08-2023, 10:21 AM
That is a wonderful and insightful experience.

Stephanie47
04-08-2023, 10:26 AM
Yes, nice post. I think in the current climate of hostility there are two things negative things happening; one, there is overt hostility towards men and women who have already declared their identities, and secondly there are now many men and women who are choosing to suffer in the closet because of that negativity. I hope your conversation and referral number has a positivity for her.

alwayshave
04-08-2023, 10:50 AM
That is a wonderful encounter. I'm glad you could help the young lady.

Heather76
04-08-2023, 01:27 PM
That was quite insightful of you to ask your question. I suspect that may have been a big help for her. With luck, she will contact the therapist.

Fiona_44
04-08-2023, 03:08 PM
Shawna,

That is a wonderful story. You must have been on cloud 9 for quite a while afterwards.

Fiona

ShawnaL
04-08-2023, 03:17 PM
I am extremely excited for her. About an hour ago, she sent me a text to say that she has an appointment with my therapist this coming Thursday afternoon!

Emily in the south
04-08-2023, 04:36 PM
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story Shawna.
Made my day!

Emily

GretchenM
04-09-2023, 06:44 AM
So excellent, Shawna. Goes to show there is another side to all of this political noise. And it is found at the interpersonal level. The place where people actually live.

CDMargret
04-09-2023, 06:49 AM
How truly awesome that was. So neat you were able to help like that.

BrendaPDX
04-09-2023, 07:22 AM
Thank you for sharing this. You made my morning.

Jean 103
04-12-2023, 01:28 AM
Yes it is. This thing has happened to me a many times. I guess it part of being out.

I refer them to the center. A local place, it's for all , and were the support group I'm part of meets as well as all the others.

So good that you were able to help. Sometimes it's just listening.

Love Jean

Diane P
04-13-2023, 04:49 AM
Shawna, such a wonderful story and great outcome. The "lame stream media" loves to build a mountain out of a mole hill for ratings. On the personal level people can be very accepting.

sammy13
04-13-2023, 08:15 AM
It's really nice story and it is nice to see that we can all help each over