PDA

View Full Version : Women's Glasses

Joanie
04-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Anyone here with eye problems wear women's glasses rather than contact lens? I have never worn contacts and I know that wearing my glasses, which aren't especially male in style, really doesn't look right with makeup, so just wondering. If so, how were you treated by the Optician when selecting women's style frames? I could make up soem silly story about being in a play but I would rather just tell the truth!

Ideally, I really should get contacts but hate the eye of fooling with them.

uknowhoo
04-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Go get yourself some nice femme glasses. The optician won't care. If (s)he does, go to another one. They would probably be quite helpful picking out a suitable style for you. Good luck. ;) Let us know how it turns out. Hugs, Tammi

LeannL
04-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Joanie,

I wear women's glasses when dressed. I was lucky because the wife of one of my Tri-Ess sisters worked in the optical department at Wal-Mart. So I went when I knew she was working and waited for her to become available. I went dressed so that I could see how they looked with my typical makeup and wig. She was quite helpful. So if you can do so, I would suggest it. You could call around to a few opticians and ask if they had a problem with you coming dress, or at least, with your wig on. I think that it is important since the total look has to work.

One other thing, I tried to save a little money and didn't get bifocals. Mistake since when I am out dressed, if I am doing anything (shopping, museum, etc.) I need the near vision! So if you need them, get them. If you are young, count your blessings.

BTW, waited until her shift ended by having a conversation with her husband while in the optical department and then went to dinner with them. No one batted an eye.

Crisack
04-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I use RGP contacts and have a problem with makeup getting smeared sometimes. Eye tearing up or getting to dry making all kinds of a mess, lol. I'll be getting a fem pair when I go in for my next checkup (next month). I think it's another accessory that will help with the look.

Joanie
04-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your encouragement. I probably should do what I have done when getting makeovers, which is call ahead and sound out the women working at the studio. This has worked great with Merle Norman, where the ones I have gone to can give you the type of privacy you don't get at a department store counter.

Kayla Smith
04-13-2006, 09:23 PM
I wear womens glasses whether I am en femme or just in my"everyday mode".
As for when I picked my fem glasses out, I just went into the optical center at Shop Ko, tried on some frames found the ones that I liked, bought them and then when to doctors vision works for an eye exam and to have my lens done in an hour(with pink tint in them;) ). No one at either place said anything to me about what I had chosen for glasses, I think that in their minds, a sale is just more money they could put into their bank account.

DonnaT
04-13-2006, 10:35 PM
I just went in, looked thru the ones that were on sale, and picked a pair I thought could go either way.

My wife insists they don't go either way, and says they are too fem. The lady that fitted them for me thought they looked good on.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/DonnaTvTg/dtnew1.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/DonnaTvTg/closeup.jpg

Karren H
04-13-2006, 10:38 PM
I bought unisex frames and I share them with my male self!!! LOL

Love Karren

Karren H
04-13-2006, 10:41 PM
And love my sun glasses!!!!

Love Karren

Lilith Moon
04-14-2006, 04:26 AM
And love my sun glasses!!!!

Love Karren

Karren,

Whenever I see your avatar or other pictures with that great smile, I find myself smiling back at my computer screen. You look great !

Lilith.

Caitlintgsd
04-14-2006, 04:34 AM
I cheated. I went to Lensecrafter's and bought a pair of frameless glasses. I wanted something that had a minimal effect as far as appearance. I tried the feminine frames but a lot of them seemed to be narrower. Perhaps they would fit you better, they seemed a bit uncomfie on me.

Karren H
04-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Karren,

Whenever I see your avatar or other pictures with that great smile, I find myself smiling back at my computer screen. You look great !

Lilith.

Awwww Thanks, Lilith!! It's hard not to smile when I feel sooooo good!!!!

Love Karren

Penny
04-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi Karren, I ware contact lenses, green, brown, violet and blue. I like the
way they can blend in with my outfit, wig color and eyeshadow. I ware fem glasses with only bifocals when I need to read something such as a price. I think knowing the price is pretty important don't you?

ChristineRenee
04-14-2006, 08:25 AM
I have a pair of women's glasses Joanie. They are somewhat similar to my men's ones, but obviously more femme. The optician was a bit startled at first when I opted for a femme style...but after that initial surprise...she was very helpful in helping me to select a pair that was most suitable for my taste and style. All in all, it was a very good experience. ;)

suzanne claire
04-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Karen you always look great It was nice of you to share with your other self.:cool:

GypsyKaren
04-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Well speak of the devil, I just got back from Lenscrafters, where I finally got my first pair of femme glasses. The girls there were all cool with me, I went dressed but of course got outed as soon as I handed over my insurance card. Not a second look or anything, they were all very friendly and helpful. I got a real pretty pair with a lilac frame, I'm so happy!

Karen

CharlaineCadence
04-14-2006, 11:34 PM
I bought a pair of ladies glasses and where them when i have to be a man i'm mainly full time woman buy for work till i start new job

Bonnie Jean
04-14-2006, 11:42 PM
bought a pair at WallMart and the girl was great, she must have me try on 20 pair, she kept rejecting them said they didn't look right.

Melinda G
04-15-2006, 12:54 AM
If you know your prescription, you can order glasses online.

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/11000.html

jessikasummerfox
04-15-2006, 01:13 AM
I hate to sound like a total cheapo, but I got my pair of women's glasses from the thrift/charity store for about a dollar. In fact, I bought about three pair--one of which even has something close to my actual perscription!

Of course, it is not a good idea to wear the wrong perscription glasses, so I don't wear them for very long. (Just for fun!) However, since you may be able to get the glass or plastic lenses online from that 39 dollar website thingy, you might find a frame from there that you really like.

Sally24
04-15-2006, 06:57 AM
I wear green contact lenses because I like the color change and it allows my eyes (one of my best features) to be seen better. Also have the old Clark Kent - Superman thing going when I take off my male glasses and put on the eye shadow!

I have been looking at the small, rimless, fem glasses at the store. I might consider getting a pair of those in bifocals so I don't have to carry reading glasses for the restaurant. I would go dressed if possible to see how they look. If in drab mode, I don't think any clerk would say anything untoward.

MarinaTwelve200
04-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Fortunately I really dont need to wear glasses full time--all I have is a touch of astigmatisim that makes one eye nearsighted a bit---I do have glasses to wear when my condition ocasionally irritates me. As I am into historical reinactment at times, My normal glasses are the smalish rimless variety I can wear in both my modern (guy) mode and historical.----fortunately the style works with women too in modern mode, so I am all set should i need glasses. I also have a pair of ladies sunglasses I got at the store on sale for 2 bucks--they are great too, for times when i dont want to bother with eye makeup

Rita Knight
04-15-2006, 02:22 PM
I have dealt with http://www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com/ and they are very CD friendly. I have gotten eyeglasses, non-bifocal, drag queen style for $40 delivered from them. They will deal with you over the telephone and you have to know your prescription.

Bobbie
04-15-2006, 02:49 PM
I just had to get glasses yesterday. I picked out a pair of unisex frames also. I put my wig on when I got home with the glasses to see how they would look together and they were great.

Love ya lots girls,
Bobbie

p.s. Happy Easter

A sage GG
04-15-2006, 03:08 PM
My dear hubby has the same problem and loves my glasses to wear but they are not the right prescription so he bought some online For $39.00 what a bargin. and if you get tired of them change them out. But for a truly male or female look I would go with the Semi rimless in a brown or tortious shell. Very decieving and look great on either sex.

Elizabeth Anne
04-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Anyone here with eye problems wear women's glasses rather than contact lens? I have never worn contacts and I know that wearing my glasses, which aren't especially male in style, really doesn't look right with makeup, so just wondering. If so, how were you treated by the Optician when selecting women's style frames? I could make up soem silly story about being in a play but I would rather just tell the truth!

Ideally, I really should get contacts but hate the eye of fooling with them.

I have experienced this situation two different times.
Both times were different.
The first time I just had Wal-Mart optical duplicate my current lens in a set of frames I choose off the wall.
Second time, I had gotten to know the manager of the office where I go to get my regular guy glasses. I had to have some "Beth glasses" before I could go out again since my eyes had changed so much. I went in & asked her if there was somewhere we could talk in private. We went to the back office & I just came out & told her I was a crossdresser & I needed some female glasses. She said no problem so we went back up to the area where the frames were & she picked out me a set of frames that are awesome. I have has hundreds of compliments from many different people.

Francine
04-15-2006, 09:18 PM
I did have a an opportunity to get a pair of women's framed glasses, but I need bifocals and like the glasses to fill my face a little more, so still opted for a 'men's' pair but frameless. It still gives me the look I want, dresses as Francine of my male drab counterpart. (I think I look better in these glasses than 'he' does) :cool:

Francine

KatieZ
04-15-2006, 09:27 PM
I copied and pasted this from a thread I started back in November

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made an appointment at Eye Mart a couple days ago to get some much needed new glasses. Appointment was for 10 this morning (Sat.). So I get there early and browse the frames and I find a pair of guy frames right away. So then I start looking and trying on girl frames.

The place was busy and several women were browsing the same section. I paid them no never mind and kept on trying on frames. Some of them looked at me for a sec and then went on about their own bizness. I got called back to the exam room and got my eyes checked and went back to picking out frames.

When I finally settled on a pair I went up front and a younger girl about 25 or so comes to help me. I got the guy pair and asked if it came in a different color and she found they did but had to order them in. That was fine, Ill get them in a couple days. Then I asked about the specials and there were two. I opted for the buy one get one half off and got up to get the girl frames I chose. The girl looked at me as I headed to the women section of frames but didn't say anything although I could see she was a bit bewildered at first. She totaled up the order and then like a light went on she smiled and said "Well now you have a pair for whatever mood you wake up in." I laughed and said "That's right".

I asked if they could make some new lenses for my original glasses so I could just use those for work and she said no problem.It took about an hour to make the glasses and I had other stuff to do down the street so I left.

When I got back she looked up and smiled a knowing smile at me and told me another girl would be right out to fit them for me. The other girl was probably about 22 and she got out my regular glasses first. When I was trying them on she saw my eyebrows were plucked but didn't say anything. When she got my girl glasses she was very professional and went about her task. When we were done with the fitting she told me how nice they looked.

When I left, the first girl was smiling again and wished me a good day.
All in all it was a good experience and the staff were polite and professional. They both knew I was CD and I think they actually thought it was cool.
Gotta love this younger generation.

EricaCD
04-20-2006, 04:02 PM
UPDATE:

Well, I finally got the nerve to go into a real store and order women's glasses. Went to LensCrafters down in the Village (NYC) - so at least I knew I wasn't in Puritan Central. I walked by, the store was basically empty, so I went in (in drab as I was taking an early lunch break). What I had not noticed was that the entire sales staff was male. Oops! Anyway, one comes over and asks what I am looking for and I tell him. He doesn't bat an eye and is quite helpful in walking me through my selection--I must have tried on 30 pairs. I wound up buying a beautiful pair of Prada frames (which cost more than my last 3 pairs of drab glasses together), and that was that! The only problem was that the high-index lenses were out of stock for that size, so I have to wait a few days...and I hate to wait!

This, however, was the first time I ever bought female items for myself, in person, in an instance where I had to come out to the salesperson. Once again, I would never have done it but for the inspiration I draw from this group. It will be nice to see properly while en femme!

Best,
Erica

DonnaT
04-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Congratulations Erica. And the world is still turning :D

maggie
04-21-2006, 08:41 AM
After thinking about it for a long time, I recently bought some prescription glasses that are consistent with my feminine image. In this way I am no longer dependent on wearing my contact lenses - which sometimes get dirty and cause serious problems when I put on my make-up.

One day I went into an eyeglass store and tried on various frames as Maggie, in order to choose the style that looked best on me. LaterI went to another store in my male persona to purchase glasses in a similar style.

Here is a picture of me in my new glasses.

http://members.aol.com/miscmg/Glasses-field-close-500.jpg

Maggie