PDA

View Full Version : Wax Is NOT Your Friend

Dana
04-14-2006, 12:09 AM
All hair removal methods have tricked women with their promises of easy, painless removal - The epilady, scissors, razors, Nair and now...the wax.

My night began as any other normal weeknight. Come home, fix dinner,
play with the kids. I then had the thought that would ring painfully in my mind for the next few hours: "Maybe I should pull the waxing kit out of the medicine cabinet." So I headed to the site of my demise: the bathroom It was one of those "cold wax" kits. No melting a clump of hot wax, you just rub the strips together in your hand, they get warm and you peel them apart and press them to your leg (or wherever else) and you pull the hair right off. No muss, no fuss. How hard can it be? I mean, I'm not a genius, but I am mechanically minded enough to figure this out. (YA THINK!?!)

So I pull one of the thin strips out. Its two strips facing each other stuck together. Instead of rubbing them together, my genius kicks in so I get out the hair dryer and heat it to 1000 degrees. ("Cold wax," yeah...right!) I lay the strip across my thigh. Hold the skin around it tight and pull. It works! OK, so it wasn't the best feeling, but it wasn't too bad. I can do this! Hair removal no
longer eludes me! I am She-rah, fighter of all wayward body hair and maker of
smooth skin extraordinaire.

With my next wax strip I move north. After checking on the kids, I sneak back
into the bathroom, for the ultimate hair fighting championship. I drop my panties and place one foot on the toilet. Using the same procedure, I apply the one strip across the right side of my bikini line, covering the right half of my *hoo-hoo* and stretching down to the inside of my butt cheek (Yes, it was a long strip) I inhale deeply and brace myself....RRRRIIIPPP!!!!

I'm blind!!! Blinded from pain!!!!....OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! With my Vision returning, I notice that I've only managed to pull off half the strip. CRAP!!! Another deep breath and RRIIP! P!! Everything is swirly and spotted. I think I may pass ...must stay conscious...Do I hear crashing drums??? Breathe, OK, back to normal. I want to see my trophy - a wax covered strip, the one that has caused me so much pain, with my hairy pelt sticking to it. I want to revel
in the glory that is my triumph over body hair. I hold up the strip!

There's no hair on it. Where is the hair??? WHERE IS THE WAX???
Slowly I ease my head down, foot still perched on the toilet. I see the hair. The hair that should be on the strip. I touch. I am touching wax. CRAP! I run my fingers over the most sensitive part of my body, which is now covered in cold wax and matted hair.

Then I make the next BIG mistake...remember my foot is stil propped up on the toilet? I know I need to do something. So I put my foot down. DAMN!!!!!!!! I hear the slamming of a cell door. *hoo-hoo*? Sealed shut! Butt?? Sealed shut!

I penguin walk around the bathroom trying to figure out what to do and think to myself "Please don't let me get the urge to poop. My head may pop off!" What can I do to melt the wax? Hot water!! Hot water melts wax!!! 'll run the hottest water I can stand into the bathtub, get in, immerse the wax-covered bits and the wax should melt and I can gently wipe off, right??? WRONG!!!!!!!

I get in the tub - the water is slightly hotter than that used to torture prisoners of war or sterilize surgical equipment - I sit. OW!, the only thing worse than having your nether regions glued together is having them glued together and then glued to the bottom of the tub...in scalding hot water. Which, by the way, doesn't melt cold wax.

So, now I'm stuck to the bottom of the tub as though I had cement-epoxied myself to the porcelain!!

God bless the man who had convinced me a few months ago to have a
phone put in the bathroom!!!!!
I call my friend, thinking surely she has waxed before and has
some secret of how to get me undone. It's a very good conversation
starter -"So, my butt and who-ha are glued together to the bottom of the
tub!"

There is a slight pause. She doesn't know any secret tricks for removal but she does try to hide her laughter from me. She wants to know exactly where the wax is located, "Are we talking cheeks or who- ha?"

She's laughing out loud by now...I can hear her. I give her the rundown and she suggests I call the number on the side of the box. YEAH!!!!!

Right!! I should be the joke of someone else's night. While we go through various solutions. I resort to scraping the wax off with a razor. Nothing feels better then to have your girlie goodies covered in hot wax, glued shut, stuck to the tub in super hot water and then dry-shaving the sticky wax off!!

By now the brain is not working, dignity has taken a major hike and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need Post-Traumatic Stress counseling for this event.

My friend is still talking with me when I finally see my saving grace....the lotion they give you to remove the excess wax. What do I really have to lose at this point? I rub some on and OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

The scream probably woke the kids and scared the dickens out of my friend.

It's sooo painful, I but I really don't care. "IT WORKS!! It works!!" I get a hearty congratulation from my friend and she hangs up.

I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice to my
grief and despair....THE HAIR IS STILL THERE.......ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!!!

So I recklessly shave it off. Heck, I'm numb by now. Nothing
hurts You could have amputated my own leg at this point.

Next week I'm going to try hair color..... Now that's funny ........ Notttttttttt

Deborah_UK
04-14-2006, 01:29 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

funniest story I've read in ages

thanks

:thumbup:

Bev06 GG
04-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Oh Gawd Dana,
Ive never laughted so much in my life, you should be a comedian. thanks for sharing it with us, its really brightened up my Good Friday. You are so funny.
BEVxxx

GypsyKaren
04-14-2006, 02:56 AM
Actually, there's a scientific formula that would have saved you a lot of discomfort, if only you had referred to it: Hot Wax + Yanking = Pain!

Karen

Phyliss
04-14-2006, 03:40 AM
Knowing how bad my "bad luck" is I can truly picture that happening to me.

I loved the story. Sorry that you had such PAIN but the retelling of the problem is really funny.

RachelDenise
04-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the lesson.:D BTW, it was priceless. I see one of those Mastercard commercial things here. I'll let the membership fill in the blanks!

Ms. Donna
04-14-2006, 05:39 AM
Never met you - don't know what you look like - and yet I have a mental image of you that will last forever! :eek:

Talk about trial by fire! That was way to funny - not to experience - but to hear. Thanks for sharing.

If, by some twisted chance you ever want to try that again - give this a read: Body Sugaring (http://cydathria.com/ms_donna/sugaring.html). I have the instructions on my website and it does work - quite well. It might take a few trys to get the paste right, but it is worth it.

And best of all... It's water soluable! :cool:

Best of luck in your future hair removal adventures... :p

Love & Stuff,
Donna

sharifemme
04-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Dana...

I felt your pain (well, maybe a little of it anyway).

Laughed until I cried!!!!

Sharifemme

RachelB.
04-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Oh the things we do to make ourselves look beautiful !!!!

Not laughing at you I'm laughing with you

CharleneCD
04-14-2006, 07:39 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Started Bunny and my day off with a good laugh. OOps should I be laughing at your pain?????

Kathycd
04-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Dana (chuckles) This has to be one for the books! (chuckles) I mean it is fantastic that you kept your humor through all this (rofl)

I need a good smile this morning and WOW it is going to be a great day after my side quit hurting from laughter. No not laughing at but with.

kathy

BethGG
04-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Never met you - don't know what you look like - and yet I have a mental image of you that will last forever! :eek:

Talk about trial by fire! That was way to funny - not to experience - but to hear. Thanks for sharing.

If, by some twisted chance you ever want to try that again - give this a read: Body Sugaring (http://cydathria.com/ms_donna/sugaring.html). I have the instructions on my website and it does work - quite well. It might take a few trys to get the paste right, but it is worth it.

And best of all... It's water soluable! :cool:

Best of luck in your future hair removal adventures... :p

Love & Stuff,
Donna
I've used sugar wax and I like it much better. Sure it still hurts when the hair comes out, but it doesn't stick to the skin like regular wax. Also, those no-heat strips of wax, as you've found they suck!! I recommend a regular tub of sugar wax, you microwave it for a few seconds, that's all. It takes some practice to do it right(do small patches at a time!).

Tamara Croft
04-14-2006, 09:40 AM
:OMG: I'm crying here, I've heard some things in my time, but that just tops it off as the worst waxing experience..... laughing again....... I've ever read. I'm having visions of you doing this penguin :lol: omg, I think I'm going to fall off the bed laughing....... ok, I'm sorry ;)

So are you ok now??? How's the erm... area :bs:

Sam-antha
04-14-2006, 09:58 AM
When are you going to try something else ?

~Samm

PS Seen the adverts at the page bottom ?

ChristineRenee
04-14-2006, 09:59 AM
NOW I remember why I shave and don't wax! I'd like to say...ala Bill Clinton...that I feel your pain...but I rather doubt it at this point. One helluva funny story though...and remember Dana...we are laughing...through the tears...WITH you here and not AT you! :lol2:Thanks for being willing to share your adventure...and humor...with all of us! Happy healing hon!;)

EricaCD
04-14-2006, 10:38 AM
"____________________"

(Words fail me.)

I expect to stop laughing sometime in early 2008. Thanks for sharing!

Erica

Gretchen
04-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks for sharing your horrific experience with a cold wax kit of unnamed brand. I have laughed harder at other stories, but I can't remember when. I can only imagine the excruciating pain and mounting panic in each attempt you executed to escape from this horrible mistake.

I have never used a wax product for my legs, but recently purchased a Veet Wax hair remover kit from the local drug mart. For whatever reason, I have been quite hesitant to try it. I shave my legs about every other day during the week before dressing and have imagined that the wax product would leave me smooth and silky for a lot longer than the two days a blade allows.

Don't think I am nearly so curious any more about wax products and think I will keep on shaving with the good 'ol Gillette for now. I, like you, truly thought that these cold wax systems must be a cure-all for a longer lasting shave. Maybe I'll try a hot wax application from a professional salon some time.
Thanks again for sharing and bringing some laughter to an otherwise scary and painful experience.
Love,
Gretchen

Julie York
04-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Applause applause applause.!!

:D

Very funny!:thumbsup:

Cindy L
04-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a hair raising experience to me. :D

Tamara Croft
04-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm sticking this thread up here for a while ;) Should rename it.... Thread of the week :lol:

paulaN
04-14-2006, 06:00 PM
IT'S NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!! but it is. your pain and suffering may help a lot of us in the future. you have to tell us excatly what product you used. what a great story I would love to here the live version. the writen word gave me a good laugh.

Janelle Young
04-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Oh dang, now I have to change my panties. Dana that was the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Sorry to laugh at the misfortunes of others but girl that was funny. I can not wait to hear about the hair coloring.

I hope you feel better soon.

RenaCD
04-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Only Kidding ,but Funnest Home Video Show would give you the Grand Prize for that story. I do feel your pain,no I don't, I can't even amagine!
Stay away from the the Super Glue Please!
No Pain No Gain Ouch!:lol2: :lol2: :nono:

Patty
04-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Hope that you are feeling better.
That was a real belly buster there!!!!

Phoebe Reece
04-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Dana, You should send that story to Eddie Izzard. I'll bet he would pay good money to use that in his stand-up routine. That's the funniest story I've read in a mighty long time.

Joy Carter
04-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Good effort Dana this is a time that will try all CD's soles or at least the ones that are brave enough to try it. LOL

Missy Anne's GG
04-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Dana,

I was feeling every painful experience you had! That must have been awful! But, thanks for the great story.

Hugs,

Missy Anne's GG

Adrianne
04-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Dana sorry to hear about your problums with wax but that was a very funny story.

CharlaineCadence
04-15-2006, 12:52 AM
know your pain tried the avon cold wax and ouch is the least of your worrkes then the hair is still their. yup know the pain go to a salon that waxes hun much better

jodybi35
04-15-2006, 06:31 AM
I think that is without a doubt not only the thread of the week, but one which should go down in history as the funniest, most painful thing I have
ever heard. One time I decided that I should get my back waxed and I have
never felt anything as painful in my life, but at least it wasn't on nor even
near the family jewels. I was a weepy mess, both my back and my face from
the tears. Made me wonder if that was what it was like back in the days when they scourged people with a cat of nine tails with the shards of glass in each strip. Thanks for putting a grin on my face and bringing back these
memories. I just shave everything now. There was one good hair removal
cream called epilstop I used, no pain whatever and it worked too.

Melora
04-15-2006, 07:36 AM
What a cute story!

Jillian310
04-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Tried wax once, once was enough! Tried Naire near the thingy, once was enough! If Naire gets between the leg and the ....., in a few minutes the burning commences! I am a shaving girl from my eyebrows down, except for the chest, where I still use Naire. And I touch up there with the razor. I like the fem models with the wide handles. A REAL treat is to have somewone else do the shaving. Thats how the best job gets done! And it feels SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!

Cassandera GG
04-16-2006, 04:47 AM
Sounds very similar to when I tried waxing Crystals legs, I couldn't stop laughing, but she was in soo much pain.
;)

Sandra
04-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Sorry for your pain, but this thread has just made my day :D

EricaCD
04-16-2006, 01:36 PM
...You probably shouldn't follow the advice of some girls in this forum re: using super glue with fake fingernails ;)

Erica

PennyAnne
04-16-2006, 04:45 PM
What a post! I had to redo my eyes after that. Just about ruined my mascarra. Must have looked like a possom.
Seriously, I use emjoi, it's kind of like ephilady, but much more effective. Made in France.I use it three to four times in a week,( every other day) then don't have even any stubble for at least 3 weeks after. After using it for about three months my hair has become very fine and pulls out with barely a mild sting. You have to use a lufa after and a good moisturizer or you will get rather unsightly ingrown hairs,
Try it. You might like it. I know I'm addicted to it. Satin smooth for nearly four weeks. When my hair gets to about 1mm it can be used again
Penny.
PS. As funny as it it, I showed it to Juliet and she doesn't believe it really happened. Who cares? It's still side splitting!!!!

Ava Mouse
04-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Very fun read Dana!

"Grasshopper, follow my instructions."

Grasshopper: "Wax on...... wax off.... YEEEEE-OUCH!"

:D

Dizzy GG
04-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear of your pain but that was the funniest thing I've read in ages.

I shall be giggling for the rest of the day!

Thanks for sharing!

Josi
04-17-2006, 12:33 PM
:D :clap: :haha:

omg ... wunnerful!

Rachel_740
04-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Dana,

I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice to my grief and despair....THE HAIR IS STILL THERE.......ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!!!

3 guesses why I pay to have my legs waxed? I did try it myself a couple of times but was far too painful and I couldn't reach half of it. Professional help is definately the answer for me ;)

Rach
xxx

Jessica1
04-17-2006, 03:55 PM
That is an interesting first experience -- thats for sure -- lol! I've had the full body wax a few times (bikini included); the pain is a bit sharp but tolerable (love the feel afterwards so I guess its all worthwhile).

Can't say I've ever experienced that scenario though.

*This message was posted on the boards under "sticky" .... ;)

Jenna6
04-18-2006, 12:37 AM
one word...
ouch....
and still even shivering from the thought, I cant help but laugh...sorry >_<

RhondaLynn
04-18-2006, 05:06 AM
I hot-waxed my legs once back in the late 80s / early 90s. Used a home hot-wax kit. It was a nightmare. Took me over 2 weeks to get all of the wax off my legs. I'll just stick to the Mach3 in the shower. I have of those ladie's razor handles that's wide & flat - it's easier to grip & control when wet & slippery. I just use bath soap to lather up my legs, then shave away. Once I've completely shaven groin to toe (takes awhile), I just do half a leg or so daily - about 2 extra minutes per shower. This seems to keep my legs smooth & hairless w/o spending the time for a full shave each time.

I saw on TV the other day that they have a hair remover product that comes with a razor-shaped scraper. No blades to cut or leave a rash. The scraper scrapes the hair away from beneath the skin once the remover gel softens it.

I've never cared for hair removal creams - they have a bad odor. But i may give this one a try.