PDA

View Full Version : A New Beginning

Shellybean
04-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi all, my name is shellybean(michelle) and i am just embarking on the change and looking for a doctor in bc canada. I am scared...very scared..but i cannot live in this body forever......

Kimberley
04-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi Michelle,
Welcome.
You have a long road ahead of you. First, while they are available over the internet, do not self medicate with hormones. You are flirting with death. While on the subject, herbals do not work.

The first step you need to take is to find a gender counsellor. Do not just accept anyone, but one who specializes in gender. You will need to meet with him/her for at least several months before they can recommend any treatment.
Once the counsellor is satisfied you are a true TS then you will have to see an MD who will also have to be convinced. Without both of these, you go nowhere. After the MD has run a battery of tests, you will need a second psych opinion. Once that is done, you will be recommended to an endocrinologist for hormone treatment.
Then comes the Real Life Test where you will have to live work and breathe as your true gender for a minimum of one year. Keep in mind that during all of this you will still have to be attending psych counselling. Once all of that is done and all the players are in agreement, you can be recommended for SRS.

I am not sure if our healthcare will cover it or not. It is something you will have to look into.

Now, you can fast track by going abroad where often few questions are asked and the process is pretty much eliminated but bear in mind, the process we use here in North America, South America and Europe is there for a reason; to prevent you from making a huge mistake. It is well worth your while to go the whole route.

I hope this can help. I know what you are feeling, been there.
You will find a lot of support from people on this site, a lot of pre op TS's as well as some of us who are TS but will not ever transition. Talk and get to know people.

HUGE HUGS
Kimberley.

MarieTS
04-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi Michelle!
The advice Kim gave you regarding the procedures and medical concerns is very accurate. Unfortunatley there is no overnight pill to fix this. Just be patient and careful. One of your biggest concerns will be financing everything. Trust me, the transition doesn't come cheap. The finiancial prices are staggering. So are the emotional costs of loosing family and friends; not to mention potential threats to your career. So make sure you know what you are doing! Also, be sure to construct a budget plan and a schedule that maps out how you intend to pay for everything. I once read something that I'd like to share with you... Are you prepared to loose everything/everybody in your life in order to transition? If you can answer yes to that question, then proceed.

Good luck and God Bless!

Amelie
04-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Good luck on this confusing, but gratifying path you are taking.

Shellybean
04-14-2006, 11:34 PM
I know the advise you have given me is true, i spen the rest of the afternoon crying
shellybean:(

Clare
04-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Hiya Michelle.

All ya gotta do is form a general plan and stick to it. Obviously parts of the plans will change over time, but if you follow your own guidelines and the advice of professionals, you'll achieve your desires. Just don't take any shortcuts to save time - they never work!

PS: In my PM to you, I thought you were an Aussie - not a Canadian!

Shellybean
04-27-2006, 11:05 AM
I have weighed all the pro's cons and i am going for it. I told my doctor yesterday and we are one the road.
love you all
shellybean:cheeky:

carolanne_love
04-27-2006, 12:08 PM
What Kimberley and the other girls said is so true.

I will be 59 next week and know first hand the pain and turmoil you are going through. Remember this: All us gals are in the same boat, we've experienced, or are experiencing the same pain. We are kindred spirits in this. I think I am speaking for all of us when I say whenever you feel you need to talk, you can do it in the open forum as you did here or you can PM any of us and have a private chat.

I found that just talking aout it with someone who understands goes a long way in helping.

We are here for you.

Love Carolanne

CharlaineCadence
04-27-2006, 12:09 PM
please please do not rush thing take your time and if you can get someone to help toy control your financing while you go through this someone who is qualified to handle momey and able to keep you on an allowence to make things happen for you. and above all be strong and careful
kiss kiss
char

GypsyKaren
04-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Shelly

I wish you well on your journey, and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. If you have completely thought this over and are settled with it, then go for it. The key is your happiness, and only you know what's necesary to achieve it. Please take care, and know that we are always here for you.

Karen