PDA

View Full Version : Why we don't tell?? (very long)

Sarahgurl371
04-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I have recently read the book "She's not there" by Jennifer Finney Boylan. Which is a great book, incidentally. There seems to always be questions from SO's about why we (the CD/TG/TS) did not tell them about ourselves when we met or feel in love. Those threads have seemed to generate many responses and explanations, as well as criticizms. I suppose we could discuss / argue about the reasons for a long time. While reading the afterward written by the author's friend, I happened across a very eloquent and descriptive passage that for me, and probably some others, seems to say it well.

In a nutshell, the author is a MTF TS, whose name used to Jim, who lived a life of inner termoil that many of us seem to feel oursleves, finds his /her soul mate Grace. Even though this story is about a transsexual, I think that the underlying theme is pretty common to those of us in the TG community as a hole. I know we all do not identify as TS, or even TG, and I do not want to scare any SO's out there that we will all end up TS. I just thought I would share this passage.

From the book "She's not there" by Jennifer Finney Boylan, specifically the Afterward by her friend Richard Russo,

"Jim, tormented since childhood and diagnosed with a condition he simply refused to accept, one day meets the very woman he's been dreaming and praying for since he was that small boy beneath the pier, watching the approaching storm - the woman who frees him from himself. For the first time in his life, he simply doesn't matter anymore. She matters. She is not merely Grace, she is his grace - that gift from God that can never be earned, but must be rather freely and gratefully accepted. Perfectly radiant, she is not just the love of his life, she is his cure. When she smiles, he can feel what he's always regarded as his illness melting away. It's not just women's clothes he gathers together from his closet for disposal before he proposes marraige, it's a shameful self that can now be shed, like a suit of clothes. Not just hidden out of sight, but swept clean away".

"Who cannot imagine such a momement? The weight of the self simply vanishing, banished by the power of longed-for love, the promise of family, normality. Does he tell her about the clothes in the Dumpster? The self in the Dumpster? To do so would suggest that maybe the clothes are not really gone, that the discarded self may one day reemerge. To tell is to doubt the power of the love he can feel coursing through is veins, routing the virus, making him well. What patient does not want to believe the treatment has worked, that he's clean, that he can now have a normal life? Tell his beloved that he's been ill for a very long time, that the illness may return, even though he's convinced that it never will? Tell her, now that his faith, which has never flagged since he was a child, has finally been rewarded? No, and it's in his not telling, surely, that we recognize our shared humanity. This is what I attempted to explain to people, barely containing my annoyance that such an explanation should be necessary."

I think that basically we all need self acceptance. And unfortunately for our SO's this does come back long after we have pledged our love and devotion. Long after we have hoped that love has "cured" us. Even though a lifetime of self loathing and hatred did not make it go away, it has not kept it from reemerging either. We feel terrible inside. We know that this is not what you signed on for. But we know that we cannot move forward in our lives until this is dealt with, finally, we hope. So we make a decision. A decision to try and accept ourselves. Unfortunately for the SO's, we need to tell you. We need your acceptance. We need it because despite a lifetime of trying to understand and accept ourselves, we have failed in that aspect. And maybe, just maybe, your acceptance will allow us to be free of that inner termoil that has plagued us since forever.

Just a thought?

Julie Avery
04-16-2006, 04:10 PM
This takes some time to read, but it was worth it to me. Thanks for posting this, a lot of what you say makes me think, "I'm not the only one."

susandrea
04-16-2006, 05:59 PM
I've read that book. I thought it was very interesting and recommend it.

The author has been accused of treating the topic too lightly, but I didn't see that at all. Without her humor it would risk being a pity party. Instead it's a story of strength.

Definitly worth a read. :thumbsup:

Janelle Young
04-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Interesting quote and I can see and relate to the logic / thoughts of it and it does relate to my life at points in my life. Personally I am not thrilled with the analogy of cross dressing to that of an illness but I do see the point.

Thank you for posting this.

TGMarla
04-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi again, sis. I think that there are a lot of us who really thought that falling in love and getting married would "cure" us. I felt that way the first time I married. But I think most of us that felt that way found out we were wrong. Most of us might even have stayed out of our wives' closets for a week or more before we raided it when we were alone. And even more of us went into marriage, perhaps a second time, knowing full well that we weren't going to stop, yet we still didn't breath a word of it to our wives for fear of utter rejection.

Really, that's what it boils down to, the fear of rejection. If GGs want to know the root cause of the failure to disclose this little activity of ours, there it is. We were all afraid of utter rejection from our wives, and feared that instead, we would live out our days miserable, lonely, and ultimately all alone.

Raychel
04-17-2006, 05:57 AM
I couldn't have said it better Marla. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;)

Kristen Kelly
04-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Hi again, sis. I think that there are a lot of us who really thought that falling in love and getting married would "cure" us. I felt that way the first time I married. But I think most of us that felt that way found out we were wrong. Most of us might even have stayed out of our wives' closets for a week or more before we raided it when we were alone. And even more of us went into marriage, perhaps a second time, knowing full well that we weren't going to stop, yet we still didn't breath a word of it to our wives for fear of utter rejection.

Really, that's what it boils down to, the fear of rejection. If GGs want to know the root cause of the failure to disclose this little activity of ours, there it is. We were all afraid of utter rejection from our wives, and feared that instead, we would live out our days miserable, lonely, and ultimately all alone.

So true Ive been dating same woman for 10 years and that has stopped me from remarrying, decided have to tell her to take next step she is pressuring me to move in, she always says she loves that fact Im different from all the other guys uncertain how she would react but feel it would be unfavorable .

paulaN
04-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Marla where did you get all of your wisdom. you said it girl. As for the quote from the book. yup! that's how I felt so many years ago. I'm so glade she knows now.

barbaracd
04-17-2006, 07:52 PM
My thoughts exactly Tammy.I wish I could have been honest from the start but like others I thought the desire to dress would simply go away after marriage. Boy was I wrong. Now after being caught for the 2nd time in six years{ 6 weeks ago was the second} my marriage is very shakey. I feel terrible that I let her down but if she would only get to know Barbara and see what a kind, caring and understanding she can be. I don't want to compete, I just want to accepted for who I am. I am still the same man but have also have a softer side.

joanlynn28
04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm there with TGMarla, the reason I never told my wife was the fear of rejection, and now that she found out she wished that she had known from the beginning, that maybe back then I could have recieved help and that it would have been easier to break the habit. But this is a habit that I choose not to part with, it is a part of me, it is who I am. To deny my innermost self would mean my certain death. So I choose life, over what she wants me to be in her eyes.