PDA

View Full Version : Memory lane for the English girls

jennylou
04-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Damned English weather, Sunday morning and its pouring down with rain. Wallowing in coffee I got to thinking, how many of us English girls can remember the days BC (before computers, before children etc) the times of feeling lonely in this wonderful world of crossdressing.
A feeling that it was only you, no one to talk to, the closet we hid in getting more and more claustrophobic, then you open the Sunday paper and see the advert for Transformations.
Honestly now, how many of us used this company feeling a sigh of relief? I know that I did.
Professional help, change aways, breast growth enhancement, understanding staff and all the rest promised.
I went there, for two years tried the pills, the cream, the pump all at great expense and little show. I know the wife wasn't best chuffed at the cost.
Then there was the prices, Jeeez, £10 odd for a pair of knickers which were £2.50 in M&S.
I also subscribed to the mailing list, another mistake. Couldn't unsubscribe. Envelopes monthly dropping through the door, more adverts and promises. I moved house and they still kept arriving at the old address, much to my horror.
Please dont get me wrong. I'm not trying to slag them off, just feel taken advantage of, though it was nice to be able to openly view and try on clothes for a change instead of hoping that they'll fit.
Come on Girls, let have some honest replies.
Jenny.

Jamie M
04-16-2006, 04:45 AM
transformation has played a major part in my life , much as i'm sure it has done for many other uk girls. Like you say it was the first place i ever went to that i felt at ease, i remember the ads in the back of the papers and felt a sense of gee , i'm not the only one then.

the shop in bristol was all i ever experienced and i can say that the girls who worked there were he absolute best , made you feel right at ease from the moment you walked through the door .I just wish that the coporate management had helping CD's rather than ripping us off on their minds.

So yes , when i look back to the time i first went there , it is with a sense of fondness , when i think of them now is with a sense of disappointment . They could have been so much to so many people but instead they chose to be greedy. oh well.

Lilith Moon
04-16-2006, 05:19 AM
I remember walking round and round the block where Transformation was located, trying to pluck up the courage to walk in. When I finally approached the entrance a customer was leaving. She looked good, or would have done if she hadn't been wearing a glamorous party dress and heels....at 10:00 am in the middle of a busy industrial area and if she had bothered to have a close shave that morning. I think maybe she had used the transformations makeover service.

I browsed in the shop for a while and had this rather strange conversation with the lady at the counter....she said "You do know what this shop is...don't you ?" I didn't know what else to say apart from a basic "Yes, thanks" and left soon afterwards. I had figured out the Transformation price hike and was more comfortable in the high street shops with the "I hope they fit her" line when purchasing stuff, so I never did return.

I believe that the founder, Stephanie Lloyd, lives not too far from here. Hang on.....

I just found this:

http://www.transformation.co.uk/features/shops/tvhotel/

Which led to this:

http://www.tv-hotel.co.uk/

Bingo! Somebody PMd me asking about this place a few weeks back and I couldn't find it. It just came up on a Google for "Transformation". So, it looks like the business is still alive and kicking. Turns out that tv-hotel is less than 30 minutes drive from here ! On the other hand...the prices starting at 199UKP per night are suggestive of Transformations long established pricing policy.

Just thought I would add an edit...prices actually start from 147UKP per night which is somewhat higher than the standard 99UKP per night for that hotel, but not too much of a rip off. BTW, it is located at Llandegla, Wrexham, UK

jennylou
04-16-2006, 05:34 AM
Manchester was the one for me, although I grew up in Sea Mills.
I too have looked at the hotel, looked and sounded great, then I saw the prices. mmmm I thought, no change there then.

Rachel Morley
04-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi Jenny,

Ditto for me too! I was totally shocked and amazed the first time I read about Transformation in a newspaper article. I kept thinking about this place that "turns you into a girl" and about 2 months later I saw one of their ads that said they had opened up a new store in Bristol. It was about a 45 minute drive for me and it took 3 trips before I got into the store (the first time was just to see if it even existed, the seond time I fully intended to go in but just couldn't pluck up enough courage to actually go through the door :rolleyes:)

When I went in it was truly a wonderful experience. Now I appreciate that it's business and they were being paid to treat me nice, but even so to actually reveal your deepest innermost secret and not only not be laughed at, but actually have someone encourage you and help you become more feminine was awesome. Apart from the outragous prices it was a great experience.

However, all that pales into insignificance compared to what is happening with cding in my life now! :) :)

Katiegirl
04-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Went into one near Euston back in the 70's and was totaly put off by the prices.

I was married at the time so I would have been difficult to hide the stuff as well,still now I go to a mail order company, its much cheaper.

:happy:

Susancd
04-17-2006, 05:32 PM
I have to admit that I too had my first proper dressing experience at Transformation! I did enjoy the experience at the time, but discovering the internet has opened new oportunities, especially in being able to purchase clothes etc. at much more reasonable prices. I did visit the Manchester shop a couple of years ago just for a browse but was subjected to a very hard sell at which point I promptly left, probably never to return!

stephanie100
04-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Saw the adverts saw the prices never went
Steph

charlottejane
04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
i agree with Stephanie although some of their more recent things were not so bad but it allcame from a time when the net had not got going and they had you captive