PDA

View Full Version : Cracking the closet door open a bit further

Marlena Dahlstrom
04-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Went to get my hair cut as well as a manicure and pedicure. Since I'd shown my "Halloween costume" photo around the salon last Fall, I decided come out to my hairstylist and the nail techs. (With the latter, I figured they probably probably have their suspicions anyway...shaved arms, shaved legs, likes colored nail polish on my toes and now with earrings....)

I got my ears pieced a couple weeks ago and my stylist and the nail techs are the only people who've commented on them, aside from my Pilates instructor (but I'd told her I was going to get it done). Fortunately, guys with both ears pierced are a bit trendy 'round these parts and I'm in a "creative" profession, so I can be a bit more adventurous in my en homme appearance.

Anyway, I talked about my outing with Patsy to a local drag club, partly as a way of gauging her reaction, and partly as a way to segue into saying "And BTW...." My stylist was completely cool with it although she had a number of questions. Turns out she'd had her suspicions ever since I showed her the photo -- apparently I looked far too poised and relaxed... (It also turns out there had been some trans-something (TG or TS) clients at the salon before.)

After the haircut I went for the manicure/pedicure and this time I just said, "remember when I brought the pictures last fall, I've got some new ones." Again it was no big deal, although both of them had some questions. And one of the techs has been to Thailand (to visit relatives) and seen the ladyboy shows a half dozen times.

While I was showing the photos to the nail tech, one of the mail stylists (not gay, he's talked about his wife and kids), came by. His reaction was that I looked really good -- I ought to enter a contest. :c9:

The only bad part of the day was that when I put on my shoes after the pedicure, the polish got smudged on my big toes. :mad:

Jenna1561
04-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Marlena, you go girl! I'm very happy and excited for you. It must be a huge relief/release to actually tell people and be honest with them.

But I'm so sorry to hear about the toe polish :(

jenna

JoannaDees
04-19-2006, 12:21 AM
I was going to a woman and her daughter for nail stuff. She did really good nails. Her daughter was excellent on the pedicure, even did the nice paint designs. Of course, being such an easy target, I spent WAY too much, tipped WAY too much, so I quit going.

What's the point? Well, never did find out what they thought of this guy who came in for nails and paint. Couldn't stop staring at her though, so with that and the cost I stopped. I so miss her and the service.

Good for you Marlena. Keep going, let it all out!

Joanna

Caitlintgsd
04-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Congrats! I don't think that you'd have any problems. Your pic is adorable. Especially by being in the bay area. That must be the most tolerant place in the country (here isn't bad either). Are you going to be attending Pride up there? I understand that prior to Pride they have a Trans parade with participants that numbers in the thousands.

GypsyKaren
04-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Good for you Marlena, it does take guts to come out to people. I recently came out at work, which was about the final wall for me, and I can tell you that it feels fantastic to live with the shroud of secrecy now gone.

Karen

RachelDenise
04-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Way to go Marlena! This is the type of post that gives me the courage to do something like you have done. Thanks for sharing.

LaceyDee
04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
You are very brave and I applaud you. For me, I am not ready to take that step.....still in the closet, but having fun anyway.