PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Breastforms

Shannah
04-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Well, they're a few years old and on the same night both of them let loose. They came apart at the edge seems, about an 1" long split on each one. So, has anyone had good luck repairing their forms? I'm thinking of cleaning the area with mineral spirts or alcohol and glueing the seem with super glue or maybe contact cement. Hopefully, I can retire them this summer and get a new pair but, I need them to last a little while longer. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way, they're silicone forms, from Fredricks of Hollywood.

Shannah
04-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Sorry about the bump, I really need help.

Thanks, Shan

Caitlintgsd
04-21-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure what kind of adhesive would work the best but I'd guess it's not super glue. That stuff dries pretty rigid and silicone forms are really flexible. I think you'd need something more flexible as in your idea of rubber cement.

Sherlyn
04-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Transpore tape works great !!!!

CammyT
04-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Aloha Shannah,
Since the silicone is a foam type and soft, one way, though messy is to find silicone used for mold making and whip it slightly. If a more conventional repair method is desired, then I think rubber cement would make the most flexible bond. Whichever you choose dear, make sure the pieces to be bonded are very clean. Alcohol works great for silicone.
Best of Luck!

Shannah
04-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Aloha Shannah,
Since the silicone is a foam type and soft, one way, though messy is to find silicone used for mold making and whip it slightly. If a more conventional repair method is besired, then I think rubber cement would make the most flexible bond. Whichever you choose dear, make sure the pieces to be bonded are very clean. Alcohol works great for silicone.
Best of Luck!

They are not the foam type. They're silicone in a thin enclosure, sort of like saran wrap but, heavy duty. Sherlyn, what's transpore tape and where might I find it. Will the repair be very visible? Thanks for the suggestions.

RenaCD
04-21-2006, 08:22 PM
GE Silicone Caulking Clear mix in a little foundation for color as Cammy said clean with alcohol first! 0.02

Big Hugs Anonymous Oh!

Wenda
04-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Transpore tape works great !!!!
Sherlyn you are so sophisticated! I used duct tape. I used a super glue, but it left a hard seam. Vinyl repair might work. Mine were on the back, so the appearance was not an issue.

Nlenro-nu2
05-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Well, they're a few years old and on the same night both of them let loose. They came apart at the edge seems, about an 1" long split on each one. So, has anyone had good luck repairing their forms? I'm thinking of cleaning the area with mineral spirts or alcohol and glueing the seem with super glue or maybe contact cement. Hopefully, I can retire them this summer and get a new pair but, I need them to last a little while longer. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way, they're silicone forms, from Fredricks of Hollywood.

Hi Shannah I'm Nlenro-nu and I've used 527 glue available from www.eloxite.com (http://www.eloxite.com) for glue silicone forms. It makes sense using silicone based glue to glue silicone forms... doesn't it? I know the glue was originally $5.27 US but although they almost double that price they didn't change the glues name! You could get some new forms at www.cosmicoutfitters.com (http://www.cosmicoutfitters.com) they got some good cheap stuff there. That stuff is cheap enough if it breaks you can replace it if you wish. Myself I'm such a tight wad that I repair such!

jking90
05-26-2006, 07:18 AM
3m makes the product, and it's available at some cvs/walgreen/eckerd type stores, maybe even kmart.