PDA

View Full Version : OT: "Self-Made Man"

JodieFosterTLGWLDTL
04-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Just finishing this up; has anyone else read Norah Vincent's account of passing as "Ned" for over a year?

Exceptionally well written and quite perceptive,

JF

Abraxas
04-22-2006, 07:14 PM
I've been wanting to get my hands on that. It does seem rather interesting-- although, to be completely honest, a little bit silly to me haha. Just because of the fact that I've been living basically as a "man" (more like a teenage boy) for almost half my life so I guess it just doesn't seem like that big a deal anymore... I mean, to present myself as a guy.

Marlena Dahlstrom
04-22-2006, 08:08 PM
From the other side of the fence.... I've got an in-depth review (http://www.adahlshouse.com/2006/02/05/“self-made-man”/) on my blog.

The short version is that I think it's got flaws, but well-worth reading, especially by FTMs since Vincent finds herself tripped up not by her apparence but all the subtle "guy" behaviorial things that we men learn unconsciously growing up. (Vincent has no problem being perceived as male, but everyone assumes "Ned" is gay because he's so effeminate -- which was a shock to Vincent who considers herself a fairly butch lesbian.)