PDA

View Full Version : a question about heels

MistyCD
04-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Hello all, Yesterday i saw a lady I work with, wearing heeled
sandals with about 1.5 to 2 inch heels. While she walked, I noticed the sound was not as loud as my 4 inch heels would make, on the same type of floor. Our physical dimensions were not that much different (height/weight ratio) so does heel height relate in the loudness of heels while walking?

Your thoughts or comments.....

Hugs Misty

Jodi
04-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Misty, The answer is no. The heel height makes no difference. The difference in sound is caused by a difference in the material on the heel tip. The end of the heel can be anything from rubber to steel, with different grades of plastic in between. I have a pair of BCBG pumps with a 3-1/2" heel that have a soft rubber tip, and they make very little noise. Conversely, I have a pair of Aigner flats with a hard rubber heel, and they make a loud crack with each step.

Jodi

Summer
04-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Steel tipped with hard leather bottom is by and far the loudest of all. And a little help from the wearer never hurts. Plant them babies and listen to them sound off. Clackitty Clack
Summer:happy:

Sharon_Rose
04-23-2006, 08:09 AM
I had to observe women and the way they place their feet on the ground while they walk. It has taken me a long time to break the habit engrained into me by my drill instructors in boot camp...plant those heels until that thunder. I agree that the shoe material will make a difference but I would also suggest you just observe the difference in the way women move their feet.

Francine
04-23-2006, 08:31 AM
I was coached that women walk differently from men too. Let's see if I can explain this.
Men usually walk by exending their leg, planting their heels and rocking forward to the toe. They also walk such that their legs extend straight forward and back so as they walk their legs parallel one another.

Now women walk by extending the leg, but pulling the from the toe, and and then setting the heel down. This usually causes less 'click'. Almost like walking on their 'tip toes'. (this is especially true wearing taller heels, I think). Women also have a tendency to walk slower (of course) and placing one foot in front of the other, even to the point they cross over one another, which as I believe, gives that 'little wiggle in the walk' men like so much! ;)

Now, I could be all wet, but that's sort of what I learned and the latter is what I practice. But that may just be me.

Francine